SOJ or beginning of a new era?

Organizations such as the Patriots, Cowboys, etc. were awful teams that changed their image with a bit of luck, cap management, great draft picks and free agency.  

Do you believe that with all the new pieces and fresh management, that we will break the SOJ stigma? 

Thoughts? 

Get er' done McCoffee!

Vernon Gholston, DE/LB, Ohio State, 2008., Blair Thomas, RB, Penn State, 1990, Johnny “Lam” Jones, WR, Texas, 1980, Roger Vick, FB, Texas A&M, 1987, 1987, Kyle Brady, TE, Penn State, 1995, Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama, 2013, Dewayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky, 2003

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Organizations such as the Patriots, Cowboys, etc. were awful teams that changed their image with a bit of luck, cap management, great draft picks and free agency.  

Do you believe that with all the new pieces and fresh management, that we will break the SOJ stigma? 

Thoughts? 

You realize that since 2000, the Jets have been way more successful than the Cowboys.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Darnold cant do it alone. 

true but a good QB can hide other deficiencies and they could be a playoff team but to win a SB there will need to be upgrades at significant positions

37 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Depends on the pick at #3, another DT = more of the same IMHO

The Jets have set themselves up in a very Jet-sy way.

$14MM to Leo, Mac's first draft pick.

$10mm to Henry.

$17mm to Mosley

Declared they are in a 3-4.

And now they are supposed to draft Quinnen?

I really think they are going to draft Quinnen.

Murray, Bosa, Quinnen to the Jets.  

41 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Thoughts? 

I truly believe we are on the verge of a golden era of Jet football.

It's all about the QB and I believe Sam is going to make us competitive year in and year out and will lead us to at least 1 Lombardi trophy and possibly multiple trophies.  

3 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Thoughts? 

I think Darnold, along with the new coaching staff will make this a perennial contender for a playoff spot. 

How well we draft will go a long way towards making us a contender for home field advantages and bye weeks. 

I have my fingers crossed.

We'll have a better idea of what to argue about tomorrow night. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

I agree with your main point...Mine was that the Cowboys don't fit into any description of an organization that has anything figured out.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. The Cowboys haven't won a game past the Wild Card Round of the playoffs since 1995. During the last two decades (2000-2018) they've only qualified for the playoffs 7 times out of 19 seasons, with a cumulative playoff record of 3-7 during that time frame. They went 0-5 in all the games they reached the divisional playoffs.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets have set themselves up in a very Jet-sy way.

$14MM to Leo, Mac's first draft pick.

$10mm to Henry.

$17mm to Mosley

Declared they are in a 3-4.

And now they are supposed to draft Quinnen?

I really think they are going to draft Quinnen.

Murray, Bosa, Quinnen to the Jets.  

Having QW on one side and Leo on the other could be killer. That will be a lot of pressure up the middle. 

Not going to be the " Same Old Jets".  Boy do I hate that saying.

Chris Johnson is not his brother.  He seems much more interested, involved, and accountable.  He didn't farm out the Coaching search process to some old washed up has-beens  like his brother. He is also hands on. The Wood Man did everything at arm's length.

Chris Johnson was not afraid to hire strong personalities, and I am confident he will allow them to do their jobs with support, without interference, and with accountability.  Adam Gase, and Williams futures are not tied to Mike Maccagnan.  Maccagnan's fate will be decided within the next two seasons.  Not necessarily so with Gase and Co.

There is an different aura of seriousness and professionalism surrounding the Jets recently.  Witness the type of players they pursued in free agency, and the way they are presenting themselves in press releases and interviews.  I know talk is cheap, but what is cheaper is to have Mamby Pamby figures like Toilet Bowles, as the face of your franchise, trying to deliver your message.

We have a franchise quarterback.  I don't want to hear the bullsh*t that he only did it for four games, and the interception blah blah blah.  If you are a football fan and know what your looking at, it should be obvious.  Sam Darnold will be a top quarterback for the long term.  It's that simple.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. The Cowboys haven't won a game past the Wild Card Round of the playoffs since 1995. During the last two decades (2000-2018) they've only qualified for the playoffs 7 times out of 19 seasons, with a cumulative playoff record of 3-7 during that time frame. They went 0-5 in all the games they reached the divisional playoffs.

Cowboys, Patriots...doesn't matter! Treat it like a metaphor. 50 + years, zero Lombardi, potato, potato. Doesn't change the facts of misery. 

I mean, the primary factor is Darnold, with Gase's development of him being key.

When I was younger and would lament the Jets never getting over the hump my dad was always quick to point out that "before Belichick and Brady the Pats were just the Jets in red uniforms."

If Darnold continues his upward trajectory there's no reason we can't be a consistently good playoff caliber team. If he's great or Maccagan gets luckier we could have a real shot at winning it all.

• Upvote 2

it's different.  they changed their management structure and finally hired an experienced head coach instead of a first time nfl guy.  they also hired an offensive minded coach.  first time since kotite and they brought in a pretty good defensive coach.  this isn't the first time that had a pairing like this.  again kotite was coach but their defensive coordinator wasn't anyone of an repute.  williams is a really good defensive coach.  and they apparently finally got a qb to build around.  the only downside is mac but even there, a couple of good drafts will have him back in good stead.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Having QW on one side and Leo on the other could be killer. That will be a lot of pressure up the middle. 

In what defense?  In a 3-4, would they be better than Mo and Sheldon at their primes, with Leo too?  What did that get us?

In a 4-3 that we say we are not running?  That has potential, but better than Donald and Suh?  We don't have Dante Fowler to play the EDGE.  

My point is that we are back to 2015-Quinnen may be the BPA at 3, but he is really not a fit for this team, just like Leo was not either.  

Well, I definitely think this is a new era of football? Our team had almost no talent at all going into the offseason. There's only one way this team can go and that is up. I just don't know if this new era involves a SB? Making the playoffs? A winning record? That's all nonsense to me. The only thing that matters to me is winning the SB.

Mac hasn't shown himself to be a very good draft guy. So this is why I have such reservations as to whether they'll ever win the SB.