We don’t need a superstar. We need a team.

Trade #3 wnd #68 to WAS for #15, Scherff, #46 2020 1st

trade a 2020 1st to Houston for Clowney

#15 take Bradbury #46 Julian Love. 

Our oline is rebuilt, add an edge rusher in Clowney, snag a 2nd round CB and still have a 2020 1 from Washington

13 hours ago, varjet said:

This is right on the money.  As we know, offense and defense work together and are symbiotic.  

Honestly, if the OL run blocks and pass blocks like it did last year, and the Jets add Bosa, Q or Allen, the offense will still be bad, Darnold will get hurt, Bell will complain and they won't make the playoffs. 

There is enough talent to field a decent defense, and honestly they may be able to pick up a DPR like Polite in the 3rd if they get offense in the 1st and 2nd.   Draft some solid offense additions to replace the sub-NFL talent on the roster and the Jets will be a fun team to watch that is going places.  Get Darnold hurt, and its all over.  

yep. if the offense can score more points the defense, even the group from the past few years looks all that much better.  how many times have we seen them only need to make a single first down in the fourth quarter to ice a game and then have to punt away. this team needs to score in the mid-20's to make some serious noise.  and they certainly need to execute when it counts.

i can't say if this means they need to address oline with the 3rd pick but if they can parlay that pick into a top ten and another 2 then they could revamp the oline.

13 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's exactly like you prefer to lose when you're loudly arguing in favor of taking lesser players instead of better ones.

All based on projections and inaccurate scouting profiles, at the end of the day no one knows the defensive players in the draft will be any better than the offensive players 

We do know that we have a potential FQB and the focus should be helping him take the next step

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Whoever they want to

Sure, but the Redskins could easily get "whoever they want to" by trading up with the Raiders, Bucs, Jaguars, etc too.  There has to be a compelling reason for them to move up to 3, and I don't see one.  Word is they want Dwayne Haskins.  The Giants likely don't even want Haskins at 6.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GREENLANTERN said:

I’m a defensive guy. I believe defense wins championships. With that being said.

The Oline has been neglected since Faneca left.

Now. I have sat back and watched the Jets draft in the first round 90% defense in the first round for 15 years.

Where is the lights out defense from doing that? It’s non existent.

Enough is a $@&?!#%! Nuff.

With that being said.

We got our franchise quarterback last year.

Its time to play it smart and protect our investment. You put an Oline in front of Darnold tomorrow night.

Which will not only help Darnold it will open up the rest of the offense.

It all starts up front.

So if a trade partner presents itself I hope our GM fleeces them for all he can get and build this team around Darnold.

Sorry Defense, It’s Offenses time and turn.

This sounds familiar.

16 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

All based on projections and inaccurate scouting profiles, at the end of the day no one knows the defensive players in the draft will be any better than the offensive players

Perhaps.  But we do know this draft will be heavy on defense early on.  Say we move down to about 10 and add a 2nd rounder.  Drafting an offensive player at 10 that we could have gotten with that 2nd rounder is not smart, no?  Because that seems to be what people are advocating.  Especially the ones who just scream "Draft offense!!" without making a suggestion on who that offensive player should be. 

And there's the flip side.  We have a chance to pick a generational type defensive stud with the third pick vs an ok lineman in the middle of the first.  The idea that we need to protect our QB is nice but over dramatic imo.  Darnold wasn't beaten up a year ago.  The OL at this point is plagued more over depth than anything else.  PFFs grades prove that out.  Drafting one middle of the first OL isn't going to turn the Pats game into a 41-38 affair anymore than one DL will turn it into a 17-14 game.  But knocking Brady around and to the ground is a proven way of keeping it close. 

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

First, they can draft whomever they want.  I simply prefer they trade down and focus on Offense and scoring and protecting Darnold over "sacks".

Second, after spending 14 of the last 17 #1 picks on Defense, including no shortage of supposed "pass rushers", perhaps I've grown a bit cynical of the hype of these guys come draft time, given the sad reality so many of them have become in Jets Green, especially late in games where they do piss all and we lose becuae our heavily invested defense can't get it's sorry ass off the field, and our O can't score points even if they did.

We don't get sacks because we keep drafting guys who supposedly can get sacks and then, amazingly, don't.  And we do it over and over and over....

Thankfully teams don't follow this line of thinking.  Because if they did, after almost 40 years of trying to find their Franchise QB they would have passed on Darnold. 

Not really getting how Gholston or Coples changes what Allen whoever is.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps.  But we do know this draft will be heavy on defense early on.  Say we move down to about 10 and add a 2nd rounder.  Drafting an offensive player at 10 that we could have gotten with that 2nd rounder is not smart, no?  Because that seems to be what people are advocating.  Especially the ones who just scream "Draft offense!!" without making a suggestion on who that offensive player should be. 

Good point, I am not advocating wasting value and the rankings are sadly all we have to go on.  Based on that, I agree that defense will probably be the focus in the first round, but we really don't know who will be there in the second round or if that player "valued" in the second round will help Sam more than a player "valued" in the first round. My priority is simple, help Sam become a FQB

Consider how many FQB's have been mismanaged and won nothing for their teams - Andrew Luck missed a year on IR (almost his career) thanks in part to a lack of investment supporting him (dare I say, bad OL) - we can agree that we do not want the Jets to turn a blind eye to a generational talent in the draft (again), I am just not sure we know...

8 hours ago, GREENLANTERN said:

You should draft offense in the first round because the offensive side of the ball has been neglected for a decade+.

Pure and Simple.

Except it isn’t that simple...

Whos the offensive player you take at 3 if you can’t get a trade down?

Its like people forget it takes both teams to agree to a trade...just because we badly want a trade down doesn’t mean there will be serious suitors...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

The Falcons beat them until they smoked crack in the 4th quarter.  The Seahawks beat them until they decided passing 3 times from the 1 yard line with BeastMode on the bench was a great idea.  The Pats are beatable but it takes the combination of a pass rush and an uncommon absence of crack-smoking coaches to do it.

And when Philly beat them the biggest play of the game, the biggest stop came on a strip sack.  

• Upvote 1

I really want the Jets to trade down and get as many picks as possible and pray that Mac has done his homework.

Either way though I think the Jets will win, if they take Williams or Bosa or they trade down get a bunch of picks and rebuild the OL and maybe a few other things in future years

13 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Good point, I am not advocating wasting value and the rankings are sadly all we have to go on.  Based on that, I agree that defense will probably be the focus in the first round, but we really don't know who will be there in the second round or if that player "valued" in the second round will help Sam more than a player "valued" in the first round. My priority is simple, help Sam become a FQB

Consider how many FQB's have been mismanaged and won nothing for their teams - Andrew Luck missed a year on IR (almost his career) thanks in part to a lack of investment supporting him (dare I say, bad OL) - we can agree that we do not want the Jets to turn a blind eye to a generational talent in the draft (again), I am just not sure we know... 

My take is this:  Macc should have been building for the day we'd have a franchise QB for the last 4 years.  But his failure to do so does not mean we should avoid taking an elite defensive player in the 1st round in a clumsy attempt to fix the mistakes of the last 4 years.  We can't fix all of that in one draft. 

If the choice is between an elite defensive player and a good offensive player, as this draft seems to be giving us in the early part of the 1st round, then I take the defensive player every time. 

No one can predict the future, but we have a lot of information that helps show how many of these guys will translate.  And that information helps guide the relative value of each player.  Reaching for a lower valued player is simply not smart.  Go with what the board gives you. 

If we really like an offensive player and can trade down to get him in the 1st or with our 2nd rounder, great.  But if we stay at 3, it has to be defense.  There's no possible justification out there to suggest otherwise. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We won't know that for about 3 years. But yeah, f*ck it! Lets draft our 11th Defensive Tackle in about 18 years! And play HIM as a 3-4 DE, because if we do it just ONCE MORE, it'll work this time!! Because Tom Brady just abhors interior pressure. Remember how Aaron Donald won that....oh. Right. 

Let me repeat there is no Brick or Nelson in this draft

Brick and Nelson when they came out were consensus generational talents.  I loved Nelson coming out and if we didn’t have a massive hole at Qb with a bunch of Qbs available I would have screamed for us to draft him

There are no great OL prospects in this draft

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I tend to agree, though it is a fallacy to say that we should draft offense merely for the fact that we've previously drafted defense and it didn't work out. We still do have holes on defense. 

Our talent on defense is not good even after the Mosely signing

Secondary is average at best, no pass rusher and defensive line is ok at best

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's not going to be a trade down partner 

it takes a bounty to get up to 3, multiple firsts and seconds to get there from the teens 

if it hasn't happened yet it's not happening 

this thread is sound and fury signifying nothing 

If we get offered something great like multiple firsts or 2nds great but to trade down just to draft offense?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Thankfully teams don't follow this line of thinking.  Because if they did, after almost 40 years of trying to find their Franchise QB they would have passed on Darnold. 

I don't agree with your logic here.

Quite the contrary, the Jets have similarly ignored/undervalued the vital QB position for the past few decades, not investing in it (i.e. in Offense) to the degree that the modern NFL warrants.

My view of an increased focus on building a powerful top-5 Offense is consistent with drafting the best QB prospect in the draft possible, as we did with Darnold.  Now that we have him, it's appropriate in my view to want to focus on building an elite-level Offense around him and to support him.  To that end, I value a Center and another pass catcher over another #1 pick pass rusher.

It's interesting to me how this community reacts when someone doesn't go along with the group-think here.  

End of the day, this is all moot:  I don't control the draft, Macc does, and he's shown he's not a trade-down kinda guy, and he has a history of taking risk-free consensus picks on Defense high.  I fully expect we will select this or that defensive player come pick #3.  I can only hope we can find a way to use our later picks to find O-Line and pass catching talent to bolster two of our weakest units.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

there's not going to be a trade down partner 

it takes a bounty to get up to 3, multiple firsts and seconds to get there from the teens 

if it hasn't happened yet it's not happening 

this thread is sound and fury signifying nothing 

Some of these guys are willing to take pennies on the dollar just to take some average OL....

• Upvote 1

I see problems if the Jets draft an interior dlineman over an edge rusher. A good offensive line will take out the likes of Henderson, Williams and Williams the Jets dline. Remember when the Jets had Richardson, Wilkerson and Williams what did they do against or faced a good oline? They did nothing!!! The same outcome will happen!!!

The Jets need an edge rusher coming from the OLB position!!! Josh Allen will be perfect and he will take pressure off the Dline coming from the outside!!! 

Now if the Jets get a deal to trade down then I would draft a center for the oline. I do agree the Jets do need to get young at the oline. But there is no one worth in the top five to draft.

46 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's the problem right there. Fans and coaches are always thinking about the Patriots and Tom Brady when logical suggestions are presented.

How about build a team? 

Or how about build a team that can rush Brady and any other great qbs who usually carve up our defense

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't agree with your logic here.

Quite the contrary, the Jets have similarly ignored/undervalued the vital QB position for the past few decades, not investing in it (i.e. in Offense) to the degree that the modern NFL warrants.

My view of an increased focus on building a powerful top-5 Offense is consistent with drafting the best QB prospect in the draft possible, as we did with Darnold.  Now that we have him, it's appropriate in my view to want to focus on building an elite-level Offense around him and to support him.  To that end, I value a Center and another pass catcher over another #1 pick pass rusher.

It's interesting to me how this community reacts when someone doesn't go along with the group-think here.  

End of the day, this is all moot:  I don't control the draft, Macc does, and he's shown he's not a trade-down kinda guy, and he has a history of taking risk-free consensus picks on Defense high.  I fully expect we will select this or that defensive player come pick #3.  I can only hope we can find a way to use our later picks to find O-Line and pass catching talent to bolster two of our weakest units.

Half joking, half real.  If you say we shouldn't draft for the DL, because of all those who haven't passed out instead of the talent that's available the same line of thinking should work with regards to the QB.  Todd, OB, Penny, Sanchez all draft picks who came up short so.....

Nothing more complicated than that

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Half joking, half real.  If you say we shouldn't draft for the DL, because of all those who haven't passed out instead of the talent that's available the same line of thinking should work with regards to the QB.  Todd, OB, Penny, Sanchez all draft picks who came up short so.....

Nothing more complicated than that

I'm saying I personally value the potential of a trade down+draft for offense scenario higher than I value a stand-pat-at #3-draft-for-defense scenario.

Nothing more complicated than that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

the potential of a trade down+draft for offense scenario

It just so happens that you're in luck. Because we have right here before us an actual draft class from which to select players, thus obviating any need to conjure scenarios about feelings. The best players in this class are defensive linemen, and the ones at the top are a whole lot better than the ones available later on. There is no such high end talent at tackle or receiver but you can get very similar players in the third round to the ones that start coming off the board later in the first. We need pass rush and we need oline and we need playmakers and are in a good position to match these with the relative strengths of the draft class. Or we can arbitrarily force offense with the first pick for no valid reason that you've been willing to state as yet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It just so happens that you're in luck. Because we have right here before us an actual draft class from which to select players, thus obviating any need to conjure scenarios about feelings. The best players in this class are defensive linemen, and the ones at the top are a whole lot better than the ones available later on. There is no such high end talent at tackle or receiver but you can get very similar players in the third round to the ones that start coming off the board later in the first. We need pass rush and we need oline and we need playmakers and are in a good position to match these with the relative strengths of the draft class. Or we can arbitrarily force offense with the first pick for no valid reason that you've been willing to state as yet.

I've said my reasons for my preferences repeatedly. 

It's really not that difficult to understand, agree with it or not. 

But lets both be fair, I don't think you're terribly interested in understanding.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I've said my reasons for my preferences repeatedly. 

It's really not that difficult to understand, agree with it or not. 

But lets both be fair, I don't think you're terribly interested in understanding. 

So you want to force 2nd/3rd round talent into our pick in the first, and your justification for that is, let me guess, the draft is a crapshoot and who knows how they'll turn out?

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Or how about build a team that can rush Brady and any other great qbs who usually carve up our defense

Gotta get to the Qb before they throw to a lil or big white boy across or down the middle. Easier said than done, that's how they move the chains.