We don’t need a superstar. We need a team.

1 hour ago, GREENLANTERN said:

I’m a defensive guy. I believe defense wins championships. With that being said.

The Oline has been neglected since Faneca left.

Now. I have sat back and watched the Jets draft in the first round 90% defense in the first round for 15 years.

Where is the lights out defense from doing that? It’s non existent.

Enough is a $@&?!#%! Nuff.

With that being said.

We got our franchise quarterback last year.

Its time to play it smart and protect our investment. You put an Oline in front of Darnold tomorrow night.

Which will not only help Darnold it will open up the rest of the offense.

It all starts up front.

So if a trade partner presents itself I hope our GM fleeces them for all he can get and build this team around Darnold.

Sorry Defense, It’s Offenses time and turn.

Tell that to the patriots and Tom Brady 

23 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What does that mean? 

The Jets play 16 games a year, vs a league consisting of 31 NFL teams. Doing everything in reaction to trying to deal with the Patriots (and arguably the best QB in NFL History) is how you lose. The Jets SHOULD have been working on their foundations and being as disciplined and balanced as possible, not drafting DT after DT because "Tom Brady hates interior pressure". 

The Patriots tear up better Defenses than the Jets on a regular basis. 

Its all about building around Sam now. 

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I'd rather lose to Tom Brady 41-38 in an exciting shootout than lose to Tom Brady in a defensive game where the Jets D eventually still gives up and we lose 38-19.

We've been a strongly Defensive-focused team for a very long time.  Look at many of the Jets vs. Tom Brady scores, and tell us how it all worked out being a horrible O team with a strong #1 pick filled Defense.....

It's time to beat Tom at his own game.  Want to keep him from dropping a ton of points on us, great!  Do it by keeping Darnold on the field, scoring points for US.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENLANTERN said:

I’m a defensive guy. I believe defense wins championships. With that being said.

The Oline has been neglected since Faneca left.

Now. I have sat back and watched the Jets draft in the first round 90% defense in the first round for 15 years.

Where is the lights out defense from doing that? It’s non existent.

Enough is a $@&?!#%! Nuff.

With that being said.

We got our franchise quarterback last year.

Its time to play it smart and protect our investment. You put an Oline in front of Darnold tomorrow night.

Which will not only help Darnold it will open up the rest of the offense.

It all starts up front.

So if a trade partner presents itself I hope our GM fleeces them for all he can get and build this team around Darnold.

Sorry Defense, It’s Offenses time and turn.

Devils advocate, what happens when we do that and the guy sucks. Bosa Allen Oliver, Sweat, whoever all the other pass rushers go off and are studs. 

My question to you is would you be pissed?

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What does that mean? 

The Jets play 16 games a year, vs a league consisting of 31 NFL teams. Doing everything in reaction to trying to deal with the Patriots (and arguably the best QB in NFL History) is how you lose. The Jets SHOULD have been working on their foundations and being as disciplined and balanced as possible, not drafting DT after DT because "Tom Brady hates interior pressure". 

The Patriots tear up better Defenses than the Jets on a regular basis. 

Its all about building around Sam now. 

Means superstars matter 

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Devils advocate, what happens when we do that and the guy sucks. Bosa Allen Oliver, Sweat, whoever all the other pass rushers go off and are studs. 

My question to you is would you be pissed?

Not as pissed as I'd be if Bosa/Oliver/Whomever just becomes the same old D-Rob/Ghost/Richardson/Lee/Pryor/Milliner/Coples/Williamson/Shephard/Williams/etc. as we keep losing big late in games and not sacking people or creating turnovers, while Darnold goes on IR for fourth time in four seasons......

Our #1 pick has been used on Defense 8 of the last 9 seasons, and 14 of the last 17 seasons. 

Let's see how those hyped-at-the-time-picks went....

Adams (2017) #1  
Lee (2016) #1
Williams (2015) #1
Pryor (2014) #1
Milliner (2013) #1
Richardson (2013) #1
Coples (2012) #1
Wilkerson (2011) #1
Wilson (2010) #1
Gholston (2008) #1
Revis (2007) #1
Vilma (2004) #1
D-Robertson (2003) #1
Thomas (2002) #1

14 of the last 17 and nothing of note to show for it and more than a fair few busts and disappointments.

Is it not time to say "maybe lets do it differently, and go Offense" a few times?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

ME: the Jets better not draft an edge rusher at 3

ALSO ME: why dont the Jets ever get sacks or turnovers

First, they can draft whomever they want.  I simply prefer they trade down and focus on Offense and scoring and protecting Darnold over "sacks".

Second, after spending 14 of the last 17 #1 picks on Defense, including no shortage of supposed "pass rushers", perhaps I've grown a bit cynical of the hype of these guys come draft time, given the sad reality so many of them have become in Jets Green, especially late in games where they do piss all and we lose becuae our heavily invested defense can't get it's sorry ass off the field, and our O can't score points even if they did.

We don't get sacks because we keep drafting guys who supposedly can get sacks and then, amazingly, don't.  And we do it over and over and over....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So lets build around Darnold and make him one. 

If he's a star, he'll be one even if we don't draft a WR1.  

He's got nice weapons already and there's likely no franchise LT in this draft class.  We don't have to force anything with our 1st round pick.  We have enough flexibility to go defense at 3 if we choose or trade down if we choose (and still go defense after trading down, if we'd like).  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He's got nice weapons already and there's likely no franchise LT in this draft class. 

He has one generally accepted "nice weapon" in Bell, and a buch of guys only Jets Fans have ever heard of or think are good in Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder and Herndon. 

And his O-Line is still thin sh*t, despite the moves with fill-in Vets, till it proves otherwise.

It's almost like Jets Fans prefer to lose 6-3 rather than win 41-38.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

First, they can draft whomever they want.  I simply prefer they trade down and focus on Offense and scoring and protecting Darnold over "sacks".

Second, after spending 14 of the last 17 #1 picks on Defense, including no shortage of supposed "pass rushers", perhaps I've grown a bit cynical of the hype of these guys come draft time, given the sad reality so many of them have become in Jets Green, especially late in games where they do piss all and we lose becuae our heavily invested defense can't get it's sorry ass off the field, and our O can't score points even if they did.

We don't get sacks because we keep drafting guys who supposedly can get sacks and then, amazingly, don't.  And we do it over and over and over....

Giant eyeball can't tell the difference between drafting badly and drafting defense. Sad!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

ME: the Jets better not draft an edge rusher at 3

ALSO ME: why dont the Jets ever get sacks or turnovers

Fair, but at some point isn't it time to admit that the Jets are cursed when it comes to finding this sh*t? It seems like the Jets are far more likely to luck into overdrafting an offensive guy than being successful with any surefire defensive player at this point. Analytics and probabilities are lovely but if you get diarrhea every time you use SPSS perhaps it's time to not use it for a little bit.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

He has one generally accepted "nice weapon" in Bell, and a buch of guys only Jets Fans have ever heard of or think are good in Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder and Herndon. 

And his O-Line is still thin sh*t, despite the moves with fill-in Vets, till it proves otherwise.

It's almost like Jets Fans prefer to lose 6-3 rather than win 41-38.

It's exactly like you prefer to lose when you're loudly arguing in favor of taking lesser players instead of better ones.

• Upvote 2

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Fair, but at some point isn't it time to admit that the Jets are cursed when it comes to finding this sh*t? It seems like the Jets are far more likely to luck into overdrafting an offensive guy than being successful with any surefire defensive player at this point. Analytics and probabilities are lovely but if you get diarrhea every time you use SPSS perhaps it's time to not use it for a little bit.

Or you could fix the process instead of just turning the hose in a different direction.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I can't believe some of you people are allowed to drive or operate electrical appliances without supervision.

The defensive line prospects are better than what we have to a significantly greater degree than the offensive line prospects are better than what we have.

How in the world have you gotten so dumbsh*t confused that you really believe the fact that we drafted a quarterback last year changes this at all?

You haven’t heard that a QB can play defense too??

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For real.  Trading down because you have a lot of needs is a poor strategy.  We need top-end talent just as much as we need a bunch of good players.  And they aren't mutually exclusive goals.

I think the problem is that the guys on this team who were drafted to be superstars are not, in fact, top end talent 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Giant eyeball can't tell the difference between drafting badly and drafting defense. Sad!

Yes, Macc (and previous GM's) have generally been bad drafters.

But more, I simply prefer we try and build an elite Offense more than the same chase of an elite Defense we've been on for (it seems) the past 30 years or so.

It's time to try and win by scoring, not stopping others from scoring.  JMO.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the problem is that the guys on this team who were drafted to be superstars are not, in fact, top end talent 

While the guys drafted to be good players (Lorenzo Mauldin, Chad Hansen, ArDarius Stewart, Jarvis Harrison, Dylan Donahue) are out of the league entirely.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, Macc (and previous GM's) have generally been bad drafters.

But more, I simply prefer we try and build an elite Offense more than the same chase of an elite Defense we've been on for (it seems) the past 30 years or so.

It's time to try and win by scoring, not stopping others from scoring.  JMO.

POINTS FARED WORTH MORE THAN POINTS ALLOWED VIA SOME GINGER SORCERY THAT'S SERIOUSLY WHAT YOU'RE ******* GOING WITH HERE.

You are going to have to make it a little less obvious that this actively refusing to wrap your head around very simple ideas is coming from the (likely accurate) fear that you're too dim to get it if you tried. It's embarrassing.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's exactly like you prefer to lose when you're loudly arguing in favor of taking lesser players instead of better ones.

No.  I prefer to no longer spend 14 or 17 years #1 picks on Defense, then field bad defenses who lose games late. 

Which is what we've done for almost two+ decades now.

It's time to try something different, now that we have a QB prospect that might actually be wroth it.

Trade down, amass multiple high picks (possible for a competent GM, happens almost every year) and grab the best O-Linemen (Center), TE and/or WR's in the field + picks next year to boot.  

Personally, despite how hated the view is, I think an elite pass-catching/blocking TE and a great young Center prospect would help us win games more than a single hyped-up EDGE player would.  I could be wrong, unlike most here, I freely admit I could be wrong.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You are going to have to make it a little less obvious that this actively refusing to wrap your head around very simple ideas is coming from the (likely accurate) fear that you're too dim to get it if you tried. It's embarrassing.

Yes, I'm stupid, that's it.  Thanks for your feedback Miss.

• Haha 1