Why do you hate Leonard Williams?

He’s been a rock for this defense since day 1.

Hes made a pro bowl.

He was at the top of the NFL in QB pressures last year. 

Hes a good teammate, has been dependable and healthy. 

He would start on 32/32 NFL D lines.

He’s been better than virtually every player drafted around him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't think anybody hates him. He's just not worth the $15-$17 million he's going to want in an extension. I'd rather get something for him now that will help this team for at least the next 4 years then lose him for nothing. The Jets aren't getting any comp picks for him bc they'll be spending next free agency as well.

• Upvote 4

It's the same logic with Robby. If you're not willing to give him a huge contract after next year then why would you be opposed to trading him? If you don't trade him then he'll leave after next season and they'll get nothing for him. It's common sense.

Yeah I don’t get the hate.  Yes he hadn’t been the superstar fans wanted or not or expected but fans act like he has been a bust lol. But in fairness getting a pass rusher will open things up for leonand Gregg Williams is a great coach to unleash him IMO.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He’s not on an immediate HOF arc so folks want to trade a good player for a draft pick in the hope that the player we draft becomes a good player. 

Jet fan logic. 

Or rather, illogic. 

I think its acceptable to be unhappy that his career arc is a lot closer to "good player" than "HOF player".  You hope for a lot more out of a top 10 pick.  But simultaneously I'm in no way going to advocate trading him now while his value is arguably at its lowest.  See what Gregg Williams can do to improve his stock, Then try to move him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I like him. But I f he was the 20th pick instead of 6th he’d be universally loved. We thought we hit a lottery ticket when he dropped but he’s simply been very good without being Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox.

Honestly, I’m expecting a career year under Gregg Williams. We’re also about to overpay him. Watch. 

Who is a better choice then him at the top of the 2015 draft after 6?

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Other than Gurley, he was probably the best pick to be made there even with hindsight as a guide.  But why are we not allowed to be pissed he didn't turn into a much better player?  Also, he dogged it at times last year.  That wasn't a great look.

Just now, New York Mick said:

What does that matter? The people, like me, who want to trade him want to do so bc we don't want to give a massive extension to a space eater. I wouldn't care if he was drafted in the 7th round. It's about the future not the past. The Jets shouldn't be tying up big money to interior defensive linemen. That hasn't worked out for them in the past. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were going to trade Leonard tonight, could you get a 2 for him? 

If you could, I would.

I’ve already come to grips with Quinnen Williams most likely being a Jet by tomorrow night.

But anything lower than a 2nd and you might as well hang on to Leo for this season and see if Gregg Williams can bring out the best in him.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He was probably the best pick to be made there even with hindsight as a guide.  But why are we not allowed to be pissed he didn't turn into a much better player?  Also, he dogged it at times last year.  That wasn't a great look.

Because it’s the best we could of gotten at the time. I can see why people are mad about the Kyle Brady pick because they missed on getting Sapp but in Leo’s case he was the best choice so people should be glad they drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t and the bigger question for the people that hate him. Who do you think they should of drafted in 2015?  RB Gurley is the only one in the top of the draft worth taking over him and they already had the two headed Chris. 

Leo still. But that doesn’t mean he’s worth a huge contract and hasn’t been disappointing in ways just because he was the right pick 

Just now, New York Mick said:

Because it’s the best we could of gotten at the time. I can see why people are mad about the Kyle Brady pick because they missed on getting Sapp but in Leo’s case he was the best choice so people should be glad they drafted him. 

But should we be wanting to give him a big 2nd contract?  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think its acceptable to be unhappy that his career arc is a lot closer to "good player" than "HOF player".  You hope for a lot more out of a top 10 pick.  But simultaneously I'm in no way going to advocate trading him now while his value is arguably at its lowest.  See what Gregg Williams can do to improve his stock, Then try to move him.

Or keep him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were going to trade Leonard tonight, could you get a 2 for him? 

His value will be higher after the draft just like Sheldon. I think a team that feels they're only a couple of pieces away may part with a 2020 2nd to bring him in.

• Upvote 1

Just now, choon328 said:

What does that matter? The people, like me, who want to trade him want to do so bc we don't want to give a massive extension to a space eater. I wouldn't care if he was drafted in the 7th round. It's about the future not the past. The Jets shouldn't be tying up big money to interior defensive linemen. That hasn't worked out for them in the past. 

Let’s see what he does this year. If he’s great tag him. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

2015 First round was relatively weak, but the frustration lies in the fact he had a weak combine and it was entirely predictable he’d struggle as a pass rusher. Space eaters can be found in every round of every draft.

Weak combine? It was very similar to Quinnen Williams. He was near the top of the leuage in QB pressures while being doubled on a team with no edge. 

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like him. But I f he was the 20th pick instead of 6th he’d be universally loved. We thought we hit a lottery ticket when he dropped but he’s simply been very good without being Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox.

Honestly, I’m expecting a career year under Gregg Williams. We’re also about to overpay him. Watch. 

If the Jets draft Q, there’s a chance we will be saying the same thing. Excellent player but I was hoping for more. 

• Upvote 1

I've got no hate for him, and wouldn't be in a rush to trade him (although if the price were right, no one but Darnold is off limits).  With that said, the reality of the situation is he simply hasn't come to live up to the hype, whether it be the hype that came with him pre-draft, or the marketing job the Jets have tried to roll out surrounding him.  A good player no doubt, but when you're talking about going DT in the first round for the 4th time in 5 years, with 2 Pro Bowlers already on the roster, he better be truly elite to justify the pick, and he simply hasn't done that.

In truth, I think far more hate goes in the direction of Maccagnan for the pick, than Williams himself, as Macc's only really success pre-Darnold was ultimately a good but not great player at a non-premium position that was dead last on the list of Jets' needs when he took over.

• Upvote 1