Why do you hate Leonard Williams?

Just now, New York Mick said:

Let’s see what he does this year. If he’s great tag him. 

It's such a waste of resources. There are only a couple of IDL that actually change games. He's not one of them and his skill set doesn't project to ever be one of them. He's a very good space eater, run stuffer. You don't use a $17 million franchise tag on those types of players. It's bad enough he's tying up $14 million this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Weak combine? It was very similar to Quinnen Williams. He was near the top of the leuage in QB pressures while being doubled on a team with no edge. 

Leonard Williams came out of it in the 42nd percentile in SPARQ score.  Quinnen Williams was 83rd percentile.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It's such a waste of resources. There are only a couple of IDL that actually change games. He's not one of them and his skill set doesn't project to ever be one of them. He's a very good space eater, run stuffer. You don't use a $17 million franchise tag on those types of players. It's bad enough he's tying up $14 million this year.

You act like it’s your money. That’s the going rate. If they get rid of him they either pay another DL more, pay another DL similar, pay another DL less who’s not as good or draft a rookie and hope he plays good. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were going to trade Leonard tonight, could you get a 2 for him? 

In a heartbeat, he is maybe a slightly better than average player who will want a huge contract next year. Also, he said if they fired Blowes that he might as well leave the Jets. No heart or motor in this guy. Check out his stats, worse every year!

Leonard Williams stats

Career stats

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Career

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

You act like it’s your money. That’s the going rate. If they get rid of him they either pay another DL more, pay another DL similar, pay another DL less who’s not as good or draft a rookie and hope he plays good. 

Its the going rate for a pass-rushing DT.  Not a DT with Leo's skillset.

And the whole "its not your money" argument is so dumb.  There's a salary cap in the NFL.  What you spend on particular players matters.

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think the more interesting question is why Jets fans feel the constant need to lay out for millionaire athletes on their team who are marginal players relative to the rest of the league. Every team in the league has a player similar to or better than Leonard Williams. He’s a stout defensive lineman that occasionally gets some push on the QB. Go look at what Chris Jones does for the Chiefs, or Fletcher Cox does for the Eagles. Leonard was drafted to be like those guys and he’s not on the same planet as those dudes. 

Chris Jones on the cheifs... leading the worst defense in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its the going rate for a pass-rushing DT.  Not a DT with Leo's skillset.

And the whole "its not your money" argument is so dumb.  There's a salary cap in the NFL.  What you spend on particular players matters.

Then he won’t get that much money. It’s simple. Players make what teams think they’re worth. If he’s as bad as some posters think he’ll get less money. 

• Upvote 1

Well I don't hate him. I just don't want to give 16-17 mil per year when he is not that level of player. I would rather trade him or let him go and draft his replacement on a rookie deal rather than be in cap hell because of the mega deal it will require to keep him. Good teams do that. Its a proven formula that works.

Then he won’t get that much money. It’s simple. Players make what teams think they’re worth. If he’s as bad as some posters think he’ll get less money. 

And I'm saying I don't think he's worth that money.  You say he is and I don't get why.

But should we be wanting to give him a big 2nd contract?  
The answer is probably yes. He won't be the highest paid player in the NFL but you build a team by resigning your good young players especially when you have control over your qb on a rookie deal. Mac has done a decent job at overpaying players but giving us lots of ways out of those contracts after a short stint in the case the player doesn't work out. We have been in good cap situations for the most part since he has been here. I trust that he could write up a decent contract for leo while also leaving room for us to get out of it if we need to

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I said if he does good under Williams then tag him next year. I know you love nothing more then endlessly talking about the same thing over and over but I don’t. 

^  OK answer

Just now, bealeb319 said:

The answer is probably yes. He won't be the highest paid player in the NFL but you build a team by resigning your good young players especially when you have control over your qb on a rookie deal. Mac has done a decent job at overpaying players but giving us lots of ways out of those contracts after a short stint in the case the player doesn't work out. We have been in good cap situations for the most part since he has been here. I trust that he could write up a decent contract for leo while also leaving room for us to get out of it if we need to

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

^ Better answer

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think its acceptable to be unhappy that his career arc is a lot closer to "good player" than "HOF player".  You hope for a lot more out of a top 10 pick.  But simultaneously I'm in no way going to advocate trading him now while his value is arguably at its lowest.  See what Gregg Williams can do to improve his stock, Then try to move him.

How do you accomplish this? Trade him when he's a free agent?

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were going to trade Leonard tonight, could you get a 2 for him? 

I'd say no because of his contract status, depth of this draft at the position, and the fact he's been meh.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You already know how good he is under Williams?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, nico002 said:

He’s been a rock for this defense since day 1.

Hes made a pro bowl.

He was at the top of the NFL in QB pressures last year. 

Hes a good teammate, has been dependable and healthy. 

He would start on 32/32 NFL D lines.

He’s been better than virtually every player drafted around him. 

We need stars not rocks. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the more interesting question is why Jets fans feel the constant need to lay out for millionaire athletes on their team who are marginal players relative to the rest of the league. Every team in the league has a player similar to or better than Leonard Williams. He’s a stout defensive lineman that occasionally gets some push on the QB. Go look at what Chris Jones does for the Chiefs, or Fletcher Cox does for the Eagles. Leonard was drafted to be like those guys and he’s not on the same planet as those dudes. 

The only argument to be made here imo is that both the Chiefs and Eagles have had potent offenses and good pass rushers (Houston, Ford, Jones, Graham, Barnett, Long) to compliment Jones and Cox's skill set. As opposed to the Jets who's 2015-2018 offenses were bad, aside from 2015 when Leo was a rookie, and the pass rushers have been basically non-existant.

It's a tiresome argument but the edge presence has been pathetic. By the time the Jets finally find their pass rusher (hopefully this year) Leo probably won't be worth keeping around, even if he has a great season. Same really can be said for Wilkerson and Richardson but at least they had Pace's corpse crawling around out there

26 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They could give half the amount that he's going to want to someone else and get the same production.