Why do you hate Leonard Williams?

To me what is worse with this guy is that he never tried to get better you can just look the way that he took care of his body. He had the perfect body coming out of college to put in some weight and power but the reality is that  Quincy probably benches more than him. He should move on from him asap, get a 3rd that will help build that OL.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:40 PM, nico002 said:

He’s been a rock for this defense since day 1.

Hes made a pro bowl.

He was at the top of the NFL in QB pressures last year. 

Hes a good teammate, has been dependable and healthy. 

He would start on 32/32 NFL D lines.

He’s been better than virtually every player drafted around him. 

People hate him because this is the board where people love to take out their frustration of being a Jets fan.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:00 PM, jetstream23 said:

The Jets aren't good enough to let very good players walk simply because those players are not "great."  If we were the Seahawks and in a position with so much talent that signing our franchise QB forces us to choose which of our Pro Bowl players we can't afford, then great.  But we're not.  Depending on how Leo plays this year I think we need to try to keep him and hope it's in the $15M per year range.

You and your logic and rationale. 

GTFO we need to cut EVERYBODY!!!

NOW!!

No hate for Leo, he is a good player and teammate by al accounts, no drama, he represents the Jets with class 

just high expectations, he was mentioned as the best DT prospect to enter the NFL draft in a decade, generational talent, first pick of the new era, we had hope LOL  

people laughed at Washington for taking Scherff, many wanted Beasley or Gurley, Jets just needed a first round pick who could play football and they got it

Kyle Wilson, Coples, Milliner, Pryor could not play NFL

I think the real question is whether Leo Williams is easy to replace?  He's a starting caliber NFL defensive lineman.  He's good...but not very good.  He was clearly overdrafted at #6.  If he was say a 3rd rounder I think fans would be much happier with him.

He doesn't deserve a big contract, but at a market rate it would be nice to bring him back simply so that we don't have yet another hole to fill.  He's a NFL starter, just not a difference maker.  Seems about the same as Henry Anderson in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Way too over drafted. You draft first round D-Linemen who are game changers. They get to the QB. Not run stuffers, or marginal pass rushers. He like Jamal were over drafted. He should be making game changing plays. He gets paid like one to make those plays. He acts like Tarzan, Looks like a fat Tarzan but plays like Jane. He will sign a big deal with another team and be another Haynesworth.

Future advise for JET Gm's, coaches and scouts. This team hasn't drafted a DE/OLB that can get to the QB since John Abraham. That's been more than a decade. Please stop drafting Lazy D-Linemen, who are slow and can't get to the QB and make game changing plays like JJ Watt, Darnold etc.

This year instead of brace/babyface DT we drafted. I would have selected Allen. We could use his speed on this defense or a CB or O-Line, or Hockerson, or a Wide out. What a waste of a pick. Do we have any luck with players from Alabama besides Namath????

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the real question is whether Leo Williams is easy to replace?  He's a starting caliber NFL defensive lineman.  He's good...but not very good.  He was clearly overdrafted at #6.  If he was say a 3rd rounder I think fans would be much happier with him.

He doesn't deserve a big contract, but at a market rate it would be nice to bring him back simply so that we don't have yet another hole to fill.  He's a NFL starter, just not a difference maker.  Seems about the same as Henry Anderson in my opinion.

Yeah, he seems to have regressed in the last 2 years...maybe he lacks the inner desire to be a great player.

He's also hurt by the fact that the Jets have spent so much draft capital over the years on DTs without a single great player to show for it.  Oh yeah, and he was touted by many as "the best player in the draft" when the came out.

QW might end up being the same deal, but let's hope not.

13 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Valid points. However a top 6 pick should be able to beat double teams and get to the qb. Otherwise it was a stupid pick. He's an average player. And we just made the same mistake again this year with Q. I'm sure he COULD be a good player but he will never have 10+ sack  seasons. Dts rarely do. And to me,  the value (#3 overall)  will never  match the expected production.

The double team myth has been debunked a million times already. Others just use it as a excuse for lack of production. They have no excuses this year. I watched him get blown off the ball 1 on 1 the past two games.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:54 PM, jetstream23 said:

I like him. But if he was the 20th pick instead of 6th he’d be universally loved. We thought we hit a lottery ticket when he dropped but he’s simply been very good without being Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox.

Honestly, I’m expecting a career year under Gregg Williams. We’re also about to overpay him. Watch. 

Imagine if Adams was a late second. And if he were a 3rd he’d already have a shrine. 

Honestly...hear me out. If I were the owner...not the new GM...I’d make a point to lock in Williams Adams and Shell. NOT bc anyone of them are amazing BUT:

1. You NEED to have some day 1 guys on the roster if you’re EVER going to be good 2-3 yrs down the road

2. All 3 seem durable enough

3. Veteran leadership is actually needed...if they’re ever gonna be good 2-3 years down the road 

4. They’re all decent human beings 

5. None of them completely suck ass

Just now, choon328 said:

The Jets drafted Leo's replacement in Quinnen. That's why paying Leo $14 million to not produce once again made no sense. They should have moved Leo for CB help prior to the season.

It’d be nice to at least imagine a surplus/strength scenario vs a robbing Peter to pay Paul. This reminds me of Mangold/Brick year’s when I still wanted the David DeCastro pick...a la super unit vs a one good one bad blend...

for example really the only two things that slightly excited me about this year minus Darnold’s hopeful development was seeing a Williamson/Mosley combo in the middle and Williams/Williams combo up front

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Honestly...hear me out. If I were the owner...not the new GM...I’d make a point to lock in Williams Adams and Shell. NOT bc anyone of them are amazing BUT:

1. You NEED to have some day 1 guys on the roster if you’re EVER going to be good 2-3 yrs down the road

2. All 3 seem durable enough

3. Veteran leadership is actually needed...if they’re ever gonna be good 2-3 years down the road 

4. They’re all decent human beings 

5. None of them completely suck ass

All 3 suck. They are not game changers. UDFA's make more plays than those first 3 have. When I mean game changing plays. Darell Roberts has more picks with the Jets the past two years than Jamal Adams has. Shell is good to be a backup and Williams sucks. Never makes any plays to warrant that type of money. What kind of veteran leadership. Teaching the rest of the kids how to act like morons after making a tackle dancing like a baffoons, or getting so over hyped where you over run a play or take bad angles.

Only veterans who warrant respect are Mosley and Bell.

If by “rock” you mean pretty much stays in place and does nothing, yeah hes definitely our rock. He has very little burst off the ball and never overpowers his opponent. Drafted as high as he was I expect a motor like Aaron Donald or JJ Watt. Not to say I expect him to perform as well as them, but I expect someone who hustles like hell and always battles and wins more than he loses. Frankly if Williams came off the field there would be little drop off at all at the position. He’s serviceable, he’s not dominant in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

If by “rock” you mean pretty much stays in place and does nothing, yeah hes definitely our rock. He has very little burst off the ball and never overpowers his opponent. Drafted as high as he was I expect a motor like Aaron Donald or JJ Watt. Not to say I expect him to perform as well as them, but I expect someone who hustles like hell and always battles and wins more than he loses. Frankly if Williams came off the field there would be little drop off at all at the position. He’s serviceable, he’s not dominant in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree 100%. I wished we would have kept Snacks Harrison instead of Mo and Sheldon and traded them a lot earlier. I don't like either of the Williams's. The kid out of Alabama, has only one year of college production. Please for the sake of God. Do not draft any more fat, slow, DT's who are just run stuffers. If we just need run stuffers than just get SNACK Harrison type players. We need Aaron Darnold and JJ Watt, Everson Griffen, type players etc.

2 hours ago, EdReed22 said:

All 3 suck. They are not game changers. UDFA's make more plays than those first 3 have. When I mean game changing plays. Darell Roberts has more picks with the Jets the past two years than Jamal Adams has. Shell is good to be a backup and Williams sucks. Never makes any plays to warrant that type of money. What kind of veteran leadership. Teaching the rest of the kids how to act like morons after making a tackle dancing like a baffoons, or getting so over hyped where you over run a play or take bad angles.

Only veterans who warrant respect are Mosley and Bell.

I mean, you say they suck. I say all three are good, not “great”. I’m not condoning overpaying any of the three but I’d pay market value, whatever that is between agent and teams, to keep them. I think every team needs those types of players. 

Mosley and Bell are stars, the only stars on the team. Im not saying they’re the same thing.

The fact that people are talking about Adams and Leo, shows the mentality of some of the people on this board. We lost because of an offenses inabliity to move the football. We lost to the Bills because of a bad field goal kicker and a sick QB, who was too weak to hit a wide open anderson on two different occasions.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

The fact that people are talking about Adams and Leo, shows the mentality of some of the people on this board. We lost because of an offenses inabliity to move the football. We lost to the Bills because of a bad field goal kicker and a sick QB, who was too weak to hit a wide open anderson on two different occasions.

If the defense were good from 2016-18, we'd be willing to give that unit the benefit of the doubt.  But despite seemingly endless resources dumped into the defensive side of the ball, it's been one of the 10 worst defenses in the NFL each year in that span.  

You like to act like Leo and Jamal aren't part of our problems.  They are.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the defense were good from 2016-18, we'd be willing to give that unit the benefit of the doubt.  But despite seemingly endless resources dumped into the defensive side of the ball, it's been one of the 10 worst defenses in the NFL each year in that span.  

You like to act like Leo and Jamal aren't part of our problems.  They are.  

Where were Jamal and Leo when the Bills and Browns were stomping on our rear ends. They wouldn't stop a nosebleed. Better off with some UDFA's than overpaying for these good role players. You don't draft at best ok role players with the 6th picks. You draft game changers.

• Upvote 1

In 2016 he made a Pro Bowl, had 7 sacks and seemed to be an ascending young player who would live up to his draft stock. The reality is he's regressed and just hasn't been very good. I've traditionally been in the "he's still very good, just not great" camp but watching him play this year, man, he looks pretty average to me.

I'd consider keeping him but based on his top ten pedigree I'm sure someone will pay him eight figures a year and at that price I just don't think he's worth keeping.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In 2016 he made a Pro Bowl, had 7 sacks and seemed to be an ascending young player who would live up to his draft stock. The reality is he's regressed and just hasn't been very good. I've traditionally been in the "he's still very good, just not great" camp but watching him play this year, man, he looks pretty average to me.

I'd consider keeping him but based on his top ten pedigree I'm sure someone will pay him eight figures a year and at that price I just don't think he's worth keeping.

What the Jets should do is giving Sheppard or Foli playing time in his place or that DT named Philips. Leonard is a slacker. I had high expectations of him. However, he's soft. He doesn't have that mean streak that D-Linemen usually have.

1 hour ago, genot said:

Yes the defense folding like a cheap chair after C.J. Mosley went our had nothing to do with that loss. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes the defense folding like a cheap chair after C.J. Mosley went our had nothing to do with that loss. 

Your defense gives up 17 points in the home opener, you should win. As long as our team is living without a Garrett or a Clowney, or a Mack, chances are it will happen again and again.

33 minutes ago, genot said:

Your defense gives up 17 points in the home opener, you should win. As long as our team is living without a Garrett or a Clowney, or a Mack, chances are it will happen again and again.

Defenses hold onto leads and close out games. CJ Mosley left the game and that entire defense turned to mush. But yes, its also the offenses fault the kicker couldn't make a field goal or extra point. 

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Defenses hold onto leads and close out games. CJ Mosley left the game and that entire defense turned to mush. But yes, its also the offenses fault the kicker couldn't make a field goal or extra point. 

Wasn't Adams the leader on the defense and don't leaders make big plays and lead teams by examoke when they are struggling?