Rich Eisen Tweet with Oliver going to Jets based on iffy sourcing

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Mentioned on ESPN just now that Raiders could also look into trading up to #2 for Bosa. 

I think that would be even a great situation for the Jets. 

if the cardinals take murray and bosa goes 2 does it matter who takes him?  i'd rather have the raiders stay at 4, at least it gives the possibility that they could take a qb making the jets pick more desirable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think back to Eli Manning throwing the ball *at* Plaxico Burress and how much that helped his confidence. Regardless of if it's Fant or not, they should get him a big body to throw it at. I'm specifically intrigued by Fant if they drop down to 15, where the other options are CB's and IOL. If we get down to 15, my preferred guys would be

1. Dillard

2. Burns (both of whom should be gone)

3. Fant

4. DK Metcalf

5. Byron Murphy

except for Metcalf I like this....would rather have Nkeal Harry

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree, it would.  but he is a reactive type and his having the jets gm job beyond this draft mostly depends on protecting darnold.  so yeah i think he's going to go a bit overboard this draft trying to fix it.  and the worst position on the line is shell.  

So many ifs in this scenario, starting with the trade down. Hard to say what would happen, but I'd think if the Jets went OL it would be because that's what Adam Gase asked for. Brian Burns would probably be in the picture if he's still on the board, too. 

Just now, slats said:

So many ifs in this scenario, starting with the trade down. Hard to say what would happen, but I'd think if the Jets went OL it would be because that's what Adam Gase asked for. Brian Burns would probably be in the picture if he's still on the board, too. 

completely agree.  if they trade back that far i could easily see them taking burns, then using 2 of the day 2 picks for OL. 

in fact, depending on where their pick in the 2nd round is, i could see them moving up for a center, either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so there are 2 starting tackles per team, that's 64 tackles.  he's #56 out of 64, am i interpreting this correctly?  

You are.  

The score is average for PFF.  My guess is that the LTs have the higher scores.   Shell is not the worst of our problems.  

The bigger picture is that this could be both Shell and Beachum's last year on the Jets, and it would be nice if their replacements could be drafted now.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

You are.  

The score is average for PFF.  My guess is that the LTs have the higher scores.   Shell is not the worst of our problems.  

The bigger picture is that this could be both Shell and Beachum's last year on the Jets, and it would be nice if their replacements could be drafted now.  

i think he is a huge problem.  he's a below average tackle who missed a block last year and got darnold hurt.  worse, he's still injured and can't be relied upon.

RT is a glaring need on this team.  i do believe jonah williams is a target in a trade back scenario.  day 1 RT starter.  can also play center and perhaps move to LT eventually.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think back to Eli Manning throwing the ball *at* Plaxico Burress and how much that helped his confidence. Regardless of if it's Fant or not, they should get him a big body to throw it at. I'm specifically intrigued by Fant if they drop down to 15, where the other options are CB's and IOL. If we get down to 15, my preferred guys would be

1. Dillard

2. Burns (both of whom should be gone)

3. Fant

4. DK Metcalf

5. Byron Murphy

Metcalf continues to frighten me. 

But yeah, I wanted the Jets to find another receiving TE in free agency. I agree, another big, close range target would be a huge asset for Sam. As much as I don't love going TE in the first round (there with safeties and guards for me), this dude's athleticism definitely puts him more in the WR mold, and would likely be a nightmare for LBs and safeties to cover. 

Just mentioned Burns as a likely target at the spot, too, if he's there. Maybe the most likely. They could look like geniuses if they trade out of taking Allen and Burns turns out to be the better pro. 

• Upvote 1

I like Harry, too, but he's so much like Enunwa from what little I've seen.

I just don't see any reason to try to figure out the high-end receivers in this class. Butler at 68 seems too good to be true and it is because if he's there he's Funchess. Some dumb team will take Metcalf and he'll be a disaster. Some smart team will take Brown and he'll be great. Down the board is where it's at. Not Welkerella either. Where do you think Boykin and Hall and Campbell go?

9 minutes ago, slats said:

But yeah, I wanted the Jets to find another receiving TE in free agency. I agree, another big, close range target would be a huge asset for Sam. As much as I don't love going TE in the first round (there with safeties and guards for me), this dude's athleticism definitely puts him more in the WR mold, and would likely be a nightmare for LBs and safeties to cover. 

Just mentioned Burns as a likely target at the spot, too, if he's there. Maybe the most likely. They could look like geniuses if they trade out of taking Allen and Burns turns out to be the better pro. 

I think dude has hardcore BUST written all over him

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I just don't see any reason to try to figure out the high-end receivers in this class. Butler at 68 seems too good to be true and it is because if he's there he's Funchess. Some dumb team will take Metcalf and he'll be a disaster. Some smart team will take Brown and he'll be great. Down the board is where it's at. Not Welkerella either. Where do you think Boykin and Hall and Campbell go?

I keep reading that "teams" love Boykin and he could be a second rounder, but then you read the scouting stuff on him and it's mostly about how he sucks, is soft, and drops the ball too much. Hall is a physical freak, but also apparently can't catch, which is a hallmark of Missouri receivers. Campbell has to go Round Two, no? I have an aversion to Ohio State receivers, myself. Speaking of which, are you buying any of this Terry McLaurin Round One stuff? The two guys I like are Deebo and Riley Ridley. Natural receivers. 

17 minutes ago, slats said:

For me, Metcalf is a YOLO pick that wouldn't happen under any circumastance, but if Carr and Rosen get traded and the board goes to sh*t, may as well go down shooting

• Haha 1

I keep reading that "teams" love Boykin and he could be a second rounder, but then you read the scouting stuff on him and it's mostly about how he sucks, is soft, and drops the ball too much. Hall is a physical freak, but also apparently can't catch, which is a hallmark of Missouri receivers. Campbell has to go Round Two, no? I have an aversion to Ohio State receivers, myself. Speaking of which, are you buying any of this Terry McLaurin Round One stuff? The two guys I like are Deebo and Riley Ridley. Natural receivers. 

No. Somebody will take a chance on MBrown's foot and that plus ABrown and Harry is enough to fill the bare minimum even if Metcalf nosedives out of the round. I would actually consider those guys too if and only if we blow it on a trade down and get left out on the high end talent.

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I can see this happening. Burns from the tape i watched actually plays with moves and counters in his disposal. I would be ecstatic if Jets traded down and grabbed him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I think dude has hardcore BUST written all over him

I also look at these dudes that are all muscle and 1% body fat and they are injuries just waiting to happen.

As for WRs.  Hakeem Butler, the guy is 6'5 230 and ran a 4.48 and 36 vertical.  I know nothing about his tape but those are impressive numbers for a big man and I am with Tom Shane on the need for a big physical WR that can make the QB look good for 50/50 balls at times.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For me, Metcalf is a YOLO pick that wouldn't happen under any circumastance, but if Carr and Rosen get traded and the board goes to sh*t, may as well go down shooting

I think the agility numbers are way overblown and the medical staff are the only people working for this team from whom I am comfortable relying on good decisions. Metcalf is that guy. There's not one at tackle and there's not one at corner but there is Metcalf. I think our draft position is warping perception. We have just one high pick in a very good class and so we're looking so hard at every flaw from our spot at 3 that everyone seems sh*tty. It's not the way I would go but I would have a whole lot more respect for the offense no matter what people if they at least recognized that he is the one viable option.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I also look at these dudes that are all muscle and 1% body fat and they are injuries just waiting to happen.

As for WRs.  Hakeem Butler, the guy is 6'5 230 and ran a 4.48 and 36 vertical.  I know nothing about his tape but those are impressive numbers for a big man and I am with Tom Shane on the need for a big physical WR that can make the QB look good for 50/50 balls at times.

As I understand it there are concerns with Butler's ability to get off the line against professional press coverage. People make like Metcalf is this huge risk and he is but it's not the kind where there's the possibility that he gets to the league and just suddenly can't play. Butler's thing could be that.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I think the agility numbers are way overblown and the medical staff are the only people working for this team from whom I am comfortable relying on good decisions. Metcalf is that guy. There's not one at tackle and there's not one at corner but there is Metcalf. I think our draft position is warping perception. We have just one high pick in a very good class and so we're looking so hard at every flaw from our spot at 3 that everyone seems sh*tty. It's not the way I would go but I would have a whole lot more respect for the offense no matter what people if they at least recognized that he is the one viable option.

There is a non-zero chance he's Julio Jones in three years, but there's also a 70% chance he's Kevin White. If I'm Maccagnan and I had a surge of nihilistic confidence after trading down to, say, 8, I might do it. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

now rotoworld is reporting the 49ers are shopping soloman thomas.  could that mean they're taking Q?

They took Thomas thinking they could make him a stand-up edge rusher and, well, they were wrong. Sick athletic profile, though. I'd give them Darron Lee and a fourth for him. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/solomon-thomas

• Upvote 1

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Enunwa used properly is T.O. lite. Metcalf used properly is what Jonathan Baldwin would have been if he wasn't a huge bust.

Metcalf his game in the nfl if used properly will be to get him the ball 3-6 yards out and let him run over smaller weaker DBs for YAC that’s what Q’s game is

Q never had TO’s speed or ability to run deep routes.  Metcalf does also have that ability

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Metcalf his game in the nfl if used properly will be to get him the ball 3-6 yards out and let him run over smaller weaker DBs for YAC that’s what Q’s game is

Q never had TO’s speed or ability to run deep routes.  Metcalf does also have that ability

Metcalf hasn't shown the ability to be a catch and run guy, imo. I think you're right that he was misused as strictly a vertical receiver in college, but I don't think running underneath routes in where Metcalf would make his living. 

• Upvote 1

Metcalf hasn't shown the ability to be a catch and run guy, imo. I think you're right that he was misused as strictly a vertical receiver in college, but I don't think running underneath routes in where Metcalf would make his living. 

Because his college team used him incorrectly

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There is a non-zero chance he's Julio Jones in three years, but there's also a 70% chance he's Kevin White. If I'm Maccagnan and I had a surge of nihilistic confidence after trading down to, say, 8, I might do it. 

The difference as far as White is that Metcalf is unbelievably strong with elite explosion numbers and a 1.48 10-yard split. You have to be prepared to be a buyer of risk if that's what conditions dictate.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

As I understand it there are concerns with Butler's ability to get off the line against professional press coverage. People make like Metcalf is this huge risk and he is but it's not the kind where there's the possibility that he gets to the league and just suddenly can't play. Butler's thing could be that.

but honestly metcalf's numbers dont dictate that he will dominate at the next level...his physicality, combine numbers and potential are what have him in the conversation. His productivity leaves a lot to be desired. 

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The difference as far as White is that Metcalf is unbelievably strong with elite explosion numbers and a 1.48 10-yard split. You have to be prepared to be a buyer of risk if that's what conditions dictate.

So are we going to start calling every WR who is big and fast Kevin White now?

Just now, jetspenguin said:

but honestly metcalf's numbers dont dictate that he will dominate at the next level...his physicality, combine numbers and potential are what have him in the conversation. His productivity leaves a lot to be desired. 

Because his qb sucked and the offensive gameplan was retarded