T0mShane

Rich Eisen Tweet with Oliver going to Jets based on iffy sourcing

Just now, T0mShane said:

It would be a savvy pick, imo. Fant runs better than every receiver except Marquise Brown and has better triangle numbers than any of the CBs you’d be drafting at that spot. 

this more than basically any other at 15 would indicate a change of philosophy.  but i don't think he's much of a blocker like the other iowa TE.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

this more than basically any other at 15 would indicate a change of philosophy.  but i don't think he's much of a blocker like the other iowa TE.  

I believe it was @Paradis that pointed out the complement to Herndon wasn’t Hockenson, but Fant. Herndon is the in-line TE who blocks. Fant is the guy you split out. 

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I mean if that tweet is accurate (Silver generally isnt) kinda implies they're taking Murray.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I believe it was @Paradis that pointed out the complement to Herndon wasn’t Hockenson, but Fant. Herndon is the in-line TE who blocks. Fant is the guy you split out. 

i see the appeal.  but it's hard to justify taking a TE in the first round when they have such glaring needs in a few other areas.  

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So this gets us what. Fant, one of the interior OL behind Bradbury and Lindstrom, a day 2, and next year's first? That's still a pass for Oliver. It might be a pass for Bosa.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i see the appeal.  but it's hard to justify taking a TE in the first round when they have such glaring needs in a few other areas.  

A massive receiving option for Darnold is a huge need, imo.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So this gets us what. Fant, one of the interior OL behind Bradbury and Lindstrom, a day 2, and next year's first? That's still a pass for Oliver. It might be a pass for Bosa.

If it’s 1-2 this year and 1-2 next year, which should be high because the Redskins would be starting Haskins, you’ve gotta take that, no? You could walk into the 2020 draft with the third(?) and 12th(?) overall picks in a big QB draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If it’s 1-2 this year and 1-2 next year, which should be high because the Redskins would be starting Haskins, you’ve gotta take that, no? You could walk into the 2020 draft with the third(?) and 12th(?) overall picks in a big QB draft.

Jets are not in position to kick the can down the road that far.

Any trade must have a 2 in it this year in return. And that is just the starting point

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

This would be the ideal situation to flip with raiders so they ensure Murray and then still take Oliver.  Though, I’m not sure I don’t just take oliver and not risk raiders duping me and being stuck with Allen (May not be terrible) or desperate for another trade.

I’d love to trade back just one spot but I completely disagree with the players you are looking at. Let’s add an edge rusher to a team that has had a carousel of DTs over the past decade.  It is time to get an outside guy and that should be Josh Allen. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A massive receiving option for Darnold is a huge need, imo.

again, using a 1st round pick on a receiving TE would be a huge change in philosophy.  you have bigtime needs at RT and C, as well as pass rusher.  

if the jets trade back to 15 i still think we're getting jonah williams.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jets are not in position to kick the can down the road that far.

Any trade must have a 2 in it this year in return. And that is just the starting point

1. The Jets are already kicking the can down the road regardless of what happens tonight. 

2. I clearly stated it was a 1 and 2 this year.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean if that tweet is accurate (Silver generally isnt) kinda implies they're taking Murray.

Actually it doesn't. It says that people could be "surprised" by the outcome. The only surprise would be if the Cardinals didn't take Murray since that's what they've been expected to do since they hired KK.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I’d love to trade back just one spot but I completely disagree with the players you are looking at. Let’s add an edge rusher to a team that has had a carousel of DTs over the past decade.  It is time to get an outside guy and that should be Josh Allen. 

I wouldn't hate the Allen pick, but I think he's overrated.

I'd rather have an EDGE player too, but the guy who looks most poised to be dominant at the next level is Ed Oliver.  Regardless of what we want for this team in an ideal situation.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s the conventional wisdom. Quinnen would be a hearty, loyal gal with fine birthing hips. 

Yes, but is she athletic enough to father my son?

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Why is this me?  I'm confused.   

I'm on your side, bro.  I want you to be right so you can bump your thread and tell everyone I told you so.  It's weird but I like you and think you deserve that redemption after your Super Bowl guarantee. 

I never made any guarantees or predictions.  I couldnt give a sh*t about who goes 1st overall. 

JiF, my sarcasm detector just blew up. . . you can't handle the truth: the Cardinals aren't drafting Murray with the first overall pick. Be honest, you want me to be wrong. You need me to be wrong! 

Allbright has been annoyingly accurate lately. He went from Oliver at first now back to Q. Williams. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. The Jets are already kicking the can down the road regardless of what happens tonight. 

2. I clearly stated it was a 1 and 2 this year.

It was not clear to me, but ok. That may be me. 

Mac, and he knows this, does not have the luxury to kick the can down the road. I disagree that is where the franchise is. They must do everything they can to win, while Sam is in rookie contract safety. They have started that project. They have to close now.

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

again, using a 1st round pick on a receiving TE would be a huge change in philosophy.  you have bigtime needs at RT and C, as well as pass rusher.  

I think it's a mistake to pass on an elite prospect because you "need" a right tackle. You can get a good right tackle in the fourth round. Center is a huge need, of course, but you can address that at 2.14, where Erik McCoy and Elgton Jenkins should be available. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Mac, and he knows this, does not have the luxury to kick the can down the road. I disagree that is where the franchise is. They must do everything they can to win, while Sam is in rookie contract safety. They have started that project. They have to close now.

taking this a step further, mccagnan knows that if darnold does not have better pass protection this year, he is gone.  thus i expect him to try to trade back and address the OL early and often, in the interests of self preservation.

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It would be a savvy pick, imo. Fant runs better than every receiver except Marquise Brown and has better triangle numbers than any of the CBs you’d be drafting at that spot. 

If they make the trade all the way down to #15, they could make worse picks than this. Most here would be banging the table for their favorite OL at that spot, but Fant's a guy who would help Sam get the ball out in under two seconds. Put Fant, Herndon, Bell, and Crowder on the field together and I don't think there's five yards they couldn't get. 

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If we went full-time 4-3, it’d be fun to watch Oliver, lined up next to Leonard, torturing guards.

Teams run the nickel like 60% of the time nowadays, and we all like Gregg Williams because we think he's a smart, aggressive, creative guy. If they're going defense stuck at #3, they just have to grab the guy they believe to be the best defender and not look back. Williams and Oliver watching Donald film together is encouraging. As would be Maccagnan going with the analytics guy over the universal consensus guy that high in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, the Jets need to go into this draft with the expressed priority of saving Maccagnan's job, and they should tailor each of their picks toward doing so?

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think it's a mistake to pass on an elite prospect because you "need" a right tackle. You can get a good right tackle in the fourth round. Center is a huge need, of course, but you can address that at 2.14, where Erik McCoy and Elgton Jenkins should be available. 

i think the offensive line needs upgrades.  i'm also not sold on someone like jonah williams being a worse pick than fant.  i like fant as a prospect but i do not think that's where they go if they trade back past 5 or 6.

brandon shell is one of the worst tackles in the nfl.  plus he's not close to returning to the field, according to gase.  

i am predicting a trade back today and the jets are taking jonah williams, who will be the day 1 starter at RT.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Allbright has been annoyingly accurate lately. He went from Oliver at first now back to Q. Williams. 

The Redskins know that the Jets will not take a QB.

So they basically can trade up with whomever of the Jets and Redskins will take less.  

Gruden and Mayock have long term contracts,  They can find players lower down.  Mac is boxed in.

Mac will take Q, the player less likely to bust.  He will rotate with Leo and Henry.  What a waste.  

1 minute ago, slats said:

If they make the trade all the way down to #15, they could make worse picks than this. Most here would be banging the table for their favorite OL at that spot, but Fant's a guy who would help Sam get the ball out in under two seconds. Put Fant, Herndon, Bell, and Crowder on the field together and I don't think there's five yards they couldn't get. 

Teams run the nickel like 60% of the time nowadays, and we all like Gregg Williams because we think he's a smart, aggressive, creative guy. If they're going defense stuck at #3, they just have to grab the guy they believe to be the best defender and not look back. Williams and Oliver watching Donald film together is encouraging. As would be Maccagnan going with the analytics guy over the universal consensus guy that high in the draft. 

i think the one guy they are not picking ins quinnen williams.  i believe oliver or allen would be the pick at 3 over him.  Q is a better version of leonard williams but they need different types of players.

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

this is the most likely outcome

Just now, jetspenguin said:

this is the most likely outcome

the raiders have 3 first round picks, i don't see them trading out of 4 to get more picks.

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

In fairness, drafting OL early would also be a huge shift in philosophy for Maccagnan. Assuming that trade would include a second round pick, they could go Fant, OL, OL, and be in fine shape. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

brandon shell is one of the worst tackles in the nfl.  plus he's not close to returning to the field, according to gase.  

At least according to PFF, and I think they accurate here, Brandon Shell is a solidly average RT and a good 4th round draft pick.

But he is recovering from injury, and his contract his up.  He was great for what he was paid, but on a second contract, after injury, a different story.

Offense 62.7
#56 T

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

In fairness, drafting OL early would also be a huge shift in philosophy for Maccagnan. Assuming that trade would include a second round pick, they could go Fant, OL, OL, and be in fine shape. 

i agree, it would.  but he is a reactive type and his having the jets gm job beyond this draft mostly depends on protecting darnold.  so yeah i think he's going to go a bit overboard this draft trying to fix it.  and the worst position on the line is shell.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

At least according to PFF, and I think they accurate here, Brandon Shell is a solidly average RT and a good 4th round draft pick.

But he is recovering from injury, and his contract his up.  He was great for what he was paid, but on a second contract, after injury, a different story.

Offense 62.7
#56 T

so there are 2 starting tackles per team, that's 64 tackles.  he's #56 out of 64, am i interpreting this correctly?  

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I think back to Eli Manning throwing the ball *at* Plaxico Burress and how much that helped his confidence. Regardless of if it's Fant or not, they should get him a big body to throw it at. I'm specifically intrigued by Fant if they drop down to 15, where the other options are CB's and IOL. If we get down to 15, my preferred guys would be

1. Dillard

2. Burns (both of whom should be gone)

3. Fant

4. DK Metcalf

5. Byron Murphy

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the raiders have 3 first round picks, i don't see them trading out of 4 to get more picks.

good point...but they need a LOT of help

Mentioned on ESPN just now that Raiders could also look into trading up to #2 for Bosa. 

I think that would be even a great situation for the Jets. 

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I  find it hard to believe that Oakland would trade back from 4 when they already have 3 first round picks, and a high 2nd.  Just wouldnt make sense. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think back to Eli Manning throwing the ball *at* Plaxico Burress and how much that helped his confidence. Regardless of if it's Fant or not, they should get him a big body to throw it at. I'm specifically intrigued by Fant if they drop down to 15, where the other options are CB's and IOL. If we get down to 15, my preferred guys would be

1. Dillard

2. Burns (both of whom should be gone)

3. Fant

4. DK Metcalf

5. Byron Murphy

if they draft dillard, does he start at LT day 1?  if so does beachum play RT?