joewilly12

*******OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAYS THREAD*******

Gase might want to use this guy as a fullback. One report said he was the best TE-FB prospect in draft. 

• Upvote 3

The bright side don’t have too see Tomlinson any more .. and it gives us a #2 TE and a FB in one roster spot .

Just now, pdxgreen said:

If this pick means means we can dump Leggett then I am all for it.

This is the issue though right?  Need to draft a Te in the 4th because the Te we drafted in the 4th two years ago sucks.

This is why our Gm is so utterly terrible.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

What picks do the jets have left?

None. Macc traded them all for 7th rounders in next years draft. 

Enjoy the sunshine. 

• Butt Fumble 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, I heard.  Except that TE is a need position as well, so what

Lets face it, has nothing to do with the position.  Has everything to do with its a name most have no idea of who he is, how he played and never expected to be taken.

Would have been happier with a half assed scrub WR whos names have been posted over and over

Why are you so mad and why do you feel it's necessary to defend Mike Maccagnan and his demonstrably poor job performance?

10 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

So in the first round Mac sucked because he went with the "safe" pick.  In the third round Mac sucked because he went with the "high-risk/high-reward" guy.  In the fourth round he sucks again because he went with the "safe" pick again.

Amazing.

How is Polite high-reward? His combine numbers would indicate low reward.

And did they really just draft a blocking tight end? We going holder next? If you didnt know better you'd think the Jets were intentionally botching this thing.

• Haha 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

This is the issue though right?  Need to draft a Te in the 4th because the Te we drafted in the 4th two years ago sucks.

What about the TE we drafted in the 4th last year? 

Though I will defend the last trade back. If there were two players he wanted that could be picked between the pick we traded back to, and the pick 9 spots up, it'd make sense. Think of it this way:

You have 2 picks (ignore the random numbers that aren't similar values): the 116th, and the 148th. Joe has the 124th and the 140th. You believe the two players you're targeting will go 130th and 145th. By not making this trade, you can only get one. By making the trade, you can get both.

So if that's what he was doing, it makes sense. But it's Mac, so I doubt that was his thinking.

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

None. Macc traded them all for 7th rounders in next years draft. 

Enjoy the sunshine. 

Overcast and windy in shaolin...

• Upvote 1

And the one he drafted last year was decent neither legett or Herndon are blocking tight ends though.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Why are you so mad and why do you feel it's necessary to defend Mike Maccagnan and his demonstrably poor job performance?

Are you new here?

• Haha 1

If this guy is as good as Brian Baldinger says he is, and Mac manufactured a 5th round pick (157th overall) trading down to get him, then huge props to Mac. The Jets didn't even have a 5th round pick today. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

It's always odd when people laud Macc for overpaying to bury one of his previous mistakes. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd love to hear the detail on how this guy supposedly expands the Gase playbook by 25%. Baby Gronk? Doubtful.

I get he's a blocking TE, but he's basically a non-factor in the passing game.

How exactly is a blocking TE a non-factor in the passing game???

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I liked how Jeremiah said there were probably other teams throwing things in their draft room because a lot of teams wanted Wesco.  Tired of people thinking a player is bad or the wrong pick because they never heard of a player. 

Everyone reading this that has watched 300 guys on film in preparation for the draft, raise your hand...no one will do it.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

You misunderstand people. People hate these picks because, while BPA does need to be considered, it has to be the BPA at a position of need! We picked a ******* nose tackle at #3 overall. I love my nose tackles, I do. Snacks, Pouha, Jenkins. Can't get enough of 'em. But we could have traded back, got the BPA at a position of need, and had tons of more draft capital to work with. Instead, we stack useless positions with questionable players, and trade picks to needlessly move up a single spot.

I'd say I want Mac to be fired, but the real problem is ownership. They'd just bring in another crap GM.

I think the "tons of draft capital" scenario is what everyone wanted. I am no fan of Macc's but the way the draft fell, trading down and scoring massive draft capital wasn't in the cards. They were handcuffed unless they sold the #3 at less than fair value.  Sometimes sh*t happens and your are forced into taking BPA.

So in the first round Mac sucked because he went with the "safe" pick.  In the third round Mac sucked because he went with the "high-risk/high-reward" guy.  In the fourth round he sucks again because he went with the "safe" pick again.
Amazing.

Confirmation bias...they see what they want to see because they hate Mac. And I get it but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Let's be honest, most of the knuckleheads on JN criticize the pick because they never heard of the guy and wanted a name they are familiar with.  I barely heard of Chris Herndon a year ago. 

Stop making sense!!!  On top of that Jet "fans" do realize that TE's help in all phases of

the offense.  And shock of shocks they can actually help the OLine in pass protection

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I like Baldinger but BabyGronk?! Uhh...

Absurd comparison. #1 Gronk is generational talent. #2 the first thing I read about Wesco is that he struggles as a receiver. Gronk has some of the softest hands I've ever seen at any position, and ran some of the best routes you'll ever see. 

This is a special teams player that we're taking in the 4th round. Maybe we'll be deploying a lot of 2 TE sets? I dunno. I see it as another addition to an already crowded position, similar to DT.

You can’t look at numbers with this kid he is a very late bloomer. WV only scratched the surface.

Pick was universally praised on ESPN's coverage. Quote: "Many GM's are throwing things in their war room because the Jets picked Wesco

Can they say why?

What exactly is this guy? He's slow, barely any production and in an Air Raid system, where it's hard to gauge blocking from TE.

It's a useless pick at a position we didn't need to waste picks on. When you have 12 picks, sure, take chances. When you have 6, need production or upside.

6 minutes ago, Edgy said:

This board is the prototype definition of Dunning–Kruger effect.

Love it!

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's always odd when people laud Macc for overpaying to bury one of his previous mistakes. 

Leggett was a fifth round pick who's had a hard time staying healthy.  Lighten up there Zippy.

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Guaranteed this guy is going to be a fan favorite in 2019.

I hope so. I just don't see the need here. Not with OL, WR and CB being so thin. Frankly, I'd even consider RB a bigger need. Leveon will need to be spelled, and he took a year off... there's risk there. I don't want our #2 being McGuire... or Cannon... so I guess I'm advocating Mac keep pumping resources to a different of the 5 positions he's constantly pumping them into.

Sigh.

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Just so you know, I’ll defend the trade backs but I don’t like ultimately what he did with the pick. 

Not going to defend every move, just moves I like. 

I think Wesco could have been had much later and I really wanted Jordan there. 

Cant defend this pick. 

So there. 

That was apparently not the case according to ESPN. He was going. But yeah, not pumped.