*******OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAYS THREAD*******

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Ran a 4.5, 37.5 inch vertical, sub 7 second 3-cone. He’s plenty fast and far from a headcase.

Yup.  Funny ESPN talked about how he had 7 sack the year before, is perfect for ILB because of his speed

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Agreed, frankly.

I agree on the having no plan and fixing his own mistakes. I like that this year he seems to have gone with the low-variance approach to day three and if we can assume that context I think the picks make a lot of sense. Thursday is not Friday is not Saturday. You know who the top guys are because for the most part they're the ones you see coming a year or more out. There's more information and it's more reliable and it's mostly about just plain good in a vacuum. The next day is about getting starters+ where that isn't a given just based on sheer talent so fit is more of a consideration. The third day is more about overall approach than individual picks, which is fine because there is the least and least reliable information available and sort of just by tacit admission the teams aren't really all that sure themselves. ITT people are talking about all three the same because the capsule scouting reports come from the same places but it isn't the same at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s problematic when you’re bringing in 21 year old rookies to replace your 24 year old busts. 

No, we're talking about replacing backup TEs, FA TEs, a LB who they wont pay his 2nd contract, whatever, with a late draft pick. Stress all you want. Thats why you draft.  Sorry some dont get that and think you shouldnt improve the roster. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Quinnen replaces Leonard, who replaced Sheldon and Mo. Edoga replaces Shell. Wesco replaces Tomlinson and Leggett. Cashman replaces Lee. This isn't how you build a roster when you're the guy who drafted the guys you're replacing three years later. Polite is the only guy from this class that moves the roster forward, and he's a wackbag who couldn't keep it together for three months prior to the draft. Looking forward, there are more pending hole on the roster than there will be guys to fill them because Macc spends every resource patching holes that he, himself, created.

Possibly so. The only thing he has working in his favour is money. There’s lots of cap space left. Maybe he or the next GM will buy his way out of this mess.

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  People don’t get that this was a DEFENSIVE draft.  All the impact players we on defense.  I mean we did add to the oline that will help Sam and Bell

This off-season we have added on offense...

OG - Kelechi Osemele

OT - Chuma Edoga

OT - Tom Compton

RB - LeVeon Bell

WR - Jamison Crowder

TE - Trevon Wesco

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That profile was clearly written from anecdotal information because he IS fast and is athletic, and also has decent instincts. Some places had him as high as a 2nd and FWIW PFF loved him. Here are his athletic numbers:

40 yard Dash: 4.5 seconds (4th)

Bench Press: 18 reps (19th)

Vertical Jump: 37.5” (5th)

Broad Jump: 12’ 4” (4th)

3 Cone Drill: 6.95 seconds (7th)

20 yd Shuttle: 4.12 seconds (4th)

Yeah, ESPN (I think it was Riddick) loved the pick and specifically called out his speed and athleticism. Seems that scouting report is way off.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, we're talking about replacing backup TEs, FA TEs, a LB who they wont pay his 2nd contract, whatever, with a late draft pick. Stress all you want. Thats why you draft.  Sorry some dont get that and think you shouldnt improve the roster. 

You’re improving the roster by constantly replacing players at positions you drafted three years earlier. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re improving the roster by constantly replacing players at positions you drafted three years earlier. 

Not so hard to grasp.  Anyone who is added to the 53 man roster is going to replace someone

You can spin it anyway you want but no one has been replaced who was drafted 3 years earlier. 

Replacing dead weight no matter where it was taken, draft or FA is how you improve a roster, yes

26 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

here a profile

Blake Cashman LB Minnesota

by Drew Boylhart • April 5, 2019

STRENGTHS
Blake has the talent to be a solid linebacker in the right system. He has good size and speed and does a good job playing within the game plan of the defensive system his college team uses. He has made impact players and has shown leadership skills that are needed to be a coach on the field and that makes him more valuable. Blake has the enough change of direction skills, to be used off the line in zone coverages with the play in front of him. He does a good job recognizing and reacting and has a good burst to the play, making tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Blake in the right defensive system will make impact plays and can become a core player and a fan favorite for the team that selects him.

CONCERNS
Blake does not have the elite athleticism or size and length to make him the type of player who can be used in multiple styles of defenses. Blake also losses leverage when tackling because once he engages he stops his feet and then tries to muscle the player down to the ground. He must learn to tackle “through” the player and not “at” the player. He also has to gain better strength in his hands to make the sure tackle. Blake has to play with more passion and commitment to what he sees in front of him. His initial reaction is quick but than his follow up reaction is too careful and lacks conviction. Blake also doesn’t meet blocks and shed them and make tackles, he goes around the blocks and at the next level that will not work.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 4.39 
Blake has been an impact player for his college team because he is in the right defense that keeps big bodies off of him so that he can roam free and make tackles. If he is in that system at the next level he can impact for the team that selects him too. That being said that doesn’t change Blake’s ability to make tackles with better passion and aggressiveness and form. He still has to get stronger and tackle better. He still has to get better in coverage so that he can be used in man to man coverages or, Blake will bounce around the NFL. Now profiling linebackers is very difficult for me because linebackers in most cases are what I call, “system related”. This means that player fits a certain system and when that defensive coordinator is fired, in most cases that linebacker will be let go also. When that DC gets hired, that LB will be signed once again, to run that system on the field for that DC. Blake will be that type of linebacker and that doesn’t mean he won’t succeed, it just means as long as that defense is good and that DC is on the team and Blake doesn’t carry to big a salary, he can have a very productive and long career.

WP Post Author

7e6e150bafa51f4b3edc1db0a6080e64?s=150&d

Drew Boylhart

dboylhart@thehuddlereport.com

I have been following and been involved in the NFL Draft starting in 1979, and been doing public profile’s for The Huddle Report since 2004

•  
  •  

It amazes me that the author of this article gets any work as a writer at all. It’s like a 6th grader wrote it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Pats replaced their QB the 1st player taken in the 1993 draft  Bledsoe with their 2nd of 3 picks in the 6th rd in 2000 Tom Brady..:beer:

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

And I did not include lesser guys and resignings (Ty Montgomery, etc.)

Right. 

I still think we need another WR and another starter on the OL, but you can't argue that we didn't improve the offense this off-season. 

Also, by far, the biggest improvement should be year 2 Darnold vs. year 1 Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Stella51 said:

You guys know didly. What makes you think you know much about college players you have not seen playing? It is so funny to read your posts. Go Jets!!!!

I'm glad that we amuse you.  Looking forward to your experienced insight and football knowledge that you will surely bring to this board.  A progressive, indispensable football mind such as yours is sorely lacking here.  Enlighten us chosen one.  You are making friends quickly.  Good Job.

23 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

There is zero defending this pick. You have 25 MILLION DOLLARS tied up in your two starting inside linebackers. Even if this kid is good he will never see the field except on special teams. This really isn’t that ******* difficult.

How many more years are on Avery Williamson‘s deal? Maybe Cashman is the reason they can let Avery walk after next year? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

The Pats replaced their QB the 1st player taken in the 1993 draft  Bledsoe with their 2nd of 3 picks in the 6th rd in 2000 Tom Brady..:beer:

Hell, AZ replaced a QB they took with the 10th in the first with the first overall.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Bell is going to LOVE him!

Well since almost 100% of the time when they weren't in a goaline formation Bell didn't have a fullback on front of him with the Steelers I don't see why he would love this. His running style is about patience and determining his own hole to run through. Somebody running in front my of him like that would hinder his style of running.