*******OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAYS THREAD*******

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Help me understand how you define "worth".

A massive blocking/pass catching weapon was picked at #8.  I'd say that was worth #3 for US, more than yet another huped-up run-stopping DT, for example.

Your assumption that Williams is merely a run-stopper is understandable but far from proven. Time will tell. 

I understand the need argument, but listen, our defense was ranked 29th last year. While coaching had a lot to do with that, I can't blame the Jets for taking a guy they think will be an impact player on their defensive line. In order for the pick to work out, QW and LW have to ball out. You double team one, the other guy makes you pay more often than not. That sort of thing.

I'm not sure if that will happen, but that's what the Jets are presumably banking on . 

• Upvote 1

Apples and tigers. 
The Jets had a top 3 pick in a draft without a QB worth trading up for and no OL worth taking that high. Meanwhile, the Falcons had a mid round pick in the 1st and then enough draft capital to move back into the tail end of the round. 

Not one QB traded for. Interesting.
Of all the trades 2 were OL and the rest were Defense.
Sadly this just wasn’t a draft that had the powerhouse top end that warranted the big trade. I’m sure we tried but if it happened it was going to be because the team trading up got the deal of a lifetime. Just not enough to pull the trigger on.

An argument could be made that getting anything would have been better than staying at 3, but we got a potentially great player there. If Q works out it will be fine and I get it.

I’m very curious how macc can do trying to get into the 2nd. Maybe Lee and a 3rd could do it. I’d be surprised and disappointed if macc gives up both 3rds to get in there. I think that would do it though. If McCoy or Jenkins is still there mid 2nd it may be tempting.

Once again the jets won a little too much in the rich qb draft and a not enough in the wrong draft. Tough cards to play. Sucks

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Jonah Williams at 3 would have been much more valuable to this team next year than Quinnen will be. People get too wrapped up in rankings. Take the player that will help your team the most, enough of this best player available no matter what nonsense. If the bpa next year is a DT does that mean they'll take another one? It's just an excuse for Macc bc he has no balls to go against the grain. The Jets need a young aggressive GM. Enough of these old school dumbasses. The game has passed them by.

Eh, I can't necessarily agree. 

I think QW has more upside than Johah WIlliams. 

Again, the weakest unit on the team last year was actually our defense. 

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Apples and tigers. 

The Jets had a top 3 pick in a draft without a QB worth trading up for and no OL worth taking that high. Meanwhile, the Falcons had a mid round pick in the 1st and then enough draft capital to move back into the tail end of the round. 

And the Falcons roster is a bit more developed with talent and with a few less holes than ours...

That being said, Mac would still f*ck it up and not invest in the OFFENSIVE line regardless of the scenario. 

• Upvote 1

I think we’ll move up. But even if we don’t our chances of ending up with Jenkins, McCoy, Cajuste, Deebo Samuel, Sternberger or a good CB prospect is higher than I thought it would be before today. 

Everyone of those will be gone by the 3rd imo.

Maybe cajuste hangs around but I’d think most of them are gonna go in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Not by much.

And that Defense has been gifted 15 of our last 18 year's worth of 1st round picks.

Think about that, and perhaps my preference for a monster blocking, pass catching TE for Darnold to pair with Herndon and Bell and Crowder might make more sense.  /shrug.

Your assumption that Williams is merely a run-stopper is understandable but far from proven. Time will tell. 

I understand the need argument, but listen, our defense was ranked 29th last year. While coaching had a lot to do with that, I can't blame the Jets for taking a guy they think will be an impact player on their defensive line. In order for the pick to work out, QW and LW have to ball out. You double team one, the other guy makes you pay more often than not. That sort of thing.

I'm not sure if that will happen, but that's what the Jets are presumably banking on . 

Quinnen is Leo 2.0. That's not a good thing. We now have 2 players that were drafted in the top 6 (concensus best player in each draft) that can't get to the QB. Oh but they can sure hit then a 1/2 a second after they get rid of the ball.

The Jets don't have one person on the team that can get to the QB quickly. Add in the fact that they have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL and that's a big problem. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Defenses rarely win in the NFL anymore. It's all about offense but instead of the Jets organization adjusting to that they're still stick in the 1980's. 6 of the last 8 teams in the playoffs last year had bad defenses. 4 of those teams advanced to the Conference Championships. Defense means very little in 2019.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yet the strongest position was DT by a wide margin.  Just as in 2015, the Jets now have more players at that position than they could possibly play at the same time, and a dearth of talent throughout the rest of the D (as well as multiple positions on O).

Quinnen is Leo 2.0. That's not a good thing. We now have 2 players that were drafted in the top 6 (concensus best player in each draft) that can't get to the QB. Oh but they can sure hit then a 1/2 a second after they get rid of the ball.

The Jets don't have one person on the team that can get to the QB quickly. Add in the fact that they have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL and that's a big problem. 

But a lot of folks seem to think that QW can (and will) get to the QB. 

Also, an interior pass rush, when you have it, gets there before edge pass rush. . . . it's just a lot harder to come by. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:
More

Jets were shopping LB Darron Lee tonight in a package deal to try and get into the 2nd round tomorrow. At least 1 NFC team has expressed interest

1 reply1 retweet3 likes

Retweeted

Liked

I will guarantee that if they get into the 2nd round they will take a CB. That's a ******* guarantee. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Jets shopping a Darron Lee package to get into round 2...good luck.

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:
More

Jets were shopping LB Darron Lee tonight in a package deal to try and get into the 2nd round tomorrow. At least 1 NFC team has expressed interest

1 reply1 retweet3 likes

Retweeted

Liked

Yeah, exactly. Good luck with that sh*t

Defenses rarely win in the NFL anymore. It's all about offense but instead of the Jets organization adjusting to that they're still stick in the 1980's. 6 of the last 8 teams in the playoffs last year had bad defenses. 4 of those teams advanced to the Conference Championships. Defense means very little in 2019.

I agree with this. I want more offense. It's why I wanted to trade down. 

But I still believe that great defensive players make an impact because great defensive players force turnovers and turnovers change/win games. 

I think it's very hard to consistently stop teams anymore (down after down), but you can still change the game by hitting the QB or forcing him into a bad decision. 

But a lot of folks seem to think that QW can (and will) get to the QB. 

Also, an interior pass rush, when you have it, gets there before edge pass rush. . . . it's just a lot harder to come by. 

Literally his comp on many scouting reports is Leo. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

I agree with this. I want more offense. It's why I wanted to trade down. 

But I still believe that great defensive players make an impact because great defensive players force turnovers and turnovers change/win games. 

I think it's very hard to consistently stop teams anymore (down after down), but you can still change the game by hitting the QB or forcing him into a bad decision. 

Right, which is why the Jets needed to draft an offensive lineman in the 1st. Darnold will get hurt next year if they don't do something meaningful at Center. Harrison is not good enough to put in front of Darnold. That's too much of a risk.

OK but now you have both, so they both can't be double teamed. Seems like there is potential there. 

Also, I like Leo, but I'm hoping this guy is better. 

They need to trade Leo but they won't. Maccs justification for taking Leo was that he was the best player in the draft. He can't afford to look like he missed on that pick too even though he did.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Right, which is why the Jets needed to draft an offensive lineman in the 1st. Darnold will get hurt next year if they don't do something meaningful at Center. Harrison is not good enough to put in front of Darnold. That's too much of a risk.

Honestly, ya'll overrate the center position SOOO much. 

A lot of championship teams have had JAG centers. There were a couple of years where Mangold was the best center in the league and the Jets offense was putrid. 

Also, Harrison was fine at the end of the year. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

They need to trade Leo but they won't. Maccs justification for taking Leo was that he was the best player in the draft. He can't afford to look like he missed on that pick too even though he did.

Can't see how Leo was a miss. He's a solid player, just not a game changer. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This! This, this this!! ⬆️

Jachai Polite is a must pick now. We can’t invest heavy into this Dline again and not add a damn edge rusher. With the amount of talent left Mac needs to be selling out 3s this year and our 2020 2-late round picks trying to get into the second. 

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You're not trying to draft a solid player at #6. That's why it's a miss

It's semantics, I think. I'd call Leo a mild disappointment based on what the expectations were, but he's a been a solid player. I think of a "miss" more along the lines of a "bust." (i.e. A guy who can't even get on the field). I also still think he can be better. I think Todd Bowles had a very questionable defensive staff. 

5 hours ago, southtown24th said:
More

1 reply1 retweet3 likes

Retweeted

Liked

Probably Dave Gettleman 

You’ve got a point. All the close games we lost we simply could not make a stop near the end. Part personnel, part coaching. Let’s hope we do better in close games this year.