Albert Breer suggests Jets may bend on the price for a trade down

Jetsbb

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/25/mock-draft-trades-jets-redskins-dwayne-haskins

3. *PROJECTED TRADE* Washington Redskins (via the New York Jets) select Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

From Rick Murphy (@rickm127): #Redskins draft a quarterback in the first round?

Rick, I think so, and I’m hearing that Haskins is the guy that Washington ownership and others in the organization want. This would be a massive swing up the board, but I think the Jets may be willing to bend a bit on the price in an effort to recoup what they lost in the trade up for Sam Darnold last year and accumulate some picks. Why would Washington feel the need to make this kind of move up? As I see it, on draft day, perception is as important as reality. Perception holds now, strongly in some corners, that the Raiders are considering Haskins at No. 4. Whether they are or not, I don’t know. I do know that it’s helping the Jets.

• Upvote 1

I am fine with a little flexibility to trade down to 15. Outside of the top 3-4 players, there is a logjam of talent between 5-15 anyway so trading back to 15 won't hurt us too much. 

We could still end up with one of the Tackles (Taylor/Williams/Dillard) or an edge guy (Burns/Ferrell/Sweat). Then with the 2nd we can get one of the centers. Far better than just Allen or Quinnen or Oliver. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Aside of the top three, for the most part everybody's best players in the draft are between round 1 pick 10 and round 3 Pick 10. All of the guys that can contribute A&B starters on our team are between those pics. Unless you want one starter and three or four projects or special teams guys, that is where the meat and potatoes of this draft are. We need to trade down.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am find with a little flexibility to trade down to 15. Outside of the top 3-4 players, there is a logjam of talent between 5-15 anyway so trading back to 15 won't hurt us too much. 

We could still end up with one of the Tackles (Taylor/Williams/Dillard) or an edge guy (Burns/Ferrell/Sweat). Then with the 2nd we can get one of the centers. Far better than just Allen or Quinnen or Oliver. 

Yes! Exactly what I'm trying to say

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

They better not "bend on the price" to move all the way from 3 to 15.

So if the Jets wanted the 15, a 2nd/3rd/ and next years 1 but then settled on the 15, 2nd/4th and next years 1 you would be upset? That's what flexibility would look like. It's not like Macc would trade down to 15 for a 6th round pick. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The way he stated it sounds like nothing more than pure speculation on his part.  I would be stunned if this trade happens at all without an intermediate jump by the Redskins into the 7-12 range because I can't see us doing that deal to 15 without their 2nd, 3rd and 2020 1st included.  That just feels like a LOT to pay for Haskins but it IS Snyder so anything is possible.  They might be able to include a player to us or another team in between in order to get more picks or help the move up but I can't think of anyone on their roster that makes sense.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So if the Jets wanted the 15, a 2nd/3rd/ and next years 1 but then settled on the 15, 2nd/4th and next years 1 you would be upset? That's what flexibility would look like. It's not like Macc would trade down to 15 for a 6th round pick. 

I don't think the 3rd vs. 4th round pick is what was implied by "bending on price."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Please never run a football team.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That would be okay with me.  The biggest keys for me are the second that we don't have this year and what will likely be a top 10 pick next year.

• Upvote 1

My amateur guess is the we receive 2 2nd's, a 3rd and a 5th for moving down from 3 to 15 with one of the 2nd's being next year and maybe the 3rd being next year.  That would restore our presence in rounds 2 and 5 this year.  On the draft value chart it is pretty close to a wash which in the case of a big QB move like that, would be viewed as taking less.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

The price has to start at this years first & second and next years first. If they stop there and that's 'bending', I'm ok with it

Swap firsts with them, recoup a second, and bank on the Skins being a terrible team next year.

That 2020 1st is the real wild card.  I could see the Skins likely being bottom-10, possibly bottom-5 next year and that would make the pick incredibly valuable.  It's entirely plausible that 3 of the top-5 picks next year could be QBs (Tua, Fromm, Herbert) which would put almost all of the premium non-QB players on the board.  As much as I'd love to grab one of the top defenders at 3 this year, I could get comfortable with this trade pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Getting their next year's first is the key for me (with first second and third this year) Otherwise, stay put.

Oh, absolutely.  Any trade that didn't net next year's 1st would be a complete embarrassment.  My assumption by "bend" was that maybe we'd get 15, round 2, round 3 or 4, and maybe 2020 round 2.

• Upvote 1

I said from the beginning they should take less than draft trade chart so the other team(redskins) can justify trading so many assets because “they got a good deal”.

There is nothing wrong with this approach as long as it’s not terrible value. We need to trade down in a tough draft to do it. It has to be a good enough deal for both teams. 

Just now, JiF said:

No doubt and if the Redskins are in love with a QB, they shouldnt have to bend one single bit. 

I have no problem bending on price if we trade with the raiders and giants, as we still get "our guy."  But, dropping back to 15, we're changing our entire draft.

The only reason to bend with the redskins is because you're placing a bet that their 2020 #1 is top 3.

• Upvote 4

Word locally this morning is that Dan Snyder has taken over the control of the Skins "War Room" and will manage their draft this year.  Team denys it of course, but it's in-line with what I've been hearing out of Skinsland this offseason, dysfunction-junction that place.

If true, I would most certainly not rule out the Redskins trying to trade up, although local radio is saying they are targeting pick #5, not #3, in order to get ahead of the Giants.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The way he stated it sounds like nothing more than pure speculation on his part.  I would be stunned if this trade happens at all without an intermediate jump by the Redskins into the 7-12 range because I can't see us doing that deal to 15 without their 2nd, 3rd and 2020 1st included.  That just feels like a LOT to pay for Haskins but it IS Snyder so anything is possible.  They might be able to include a player to us or another team in between in order to get more picks or help the move up but I can't think of anyone on their roster that makes sense.

Why does it sound like you think both teams would be getting ripped off on this deal? 

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am find with a little flexibility to trade down to 15. Outside of the top 3-4 players, there is a logjam of talent between 5-15 anyway so trading back to 15 won't hurt us too much. 

Ive done some mocks on the mock sites with the Jets having Washington's 1 & 2 (plus the 2020 1 & 2) and Washington taking a QB at #3.

So far, I've always been able to come away with Dillard, Taylor or Ford at 15.  And I've been able to get Winovich, J Ferguson and even Polite on occasion with the Redskins 2nd rounder.  Most of the time with that, it's slim pickings for C at 3.04, but occasionally there's a good one there.

I've also tried it drafting the best remaining Edge rusher at 15 and C or OT in the 2nd.  When I go that way, I always get 2 inferior players compared to when I take the tackle at 1.15.  So, if we do trade with Washington, Unless somehow Sweat falls to 15, 15 would be OT and 2.14 would be Edge (or C) with 3.04 being C (or Edge).

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

They better not "bend on the price" to move all the way from 3 to 15.

I have thought this was a likely scenario for a long time. Nobody really wants to trade up too badly and the Jets may put a discount on the number 3 pick in order to pull someone up the board and get out of that spot.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was something like the Redskins 15th pick, 46th pick (2nd round) and a 2nd rounder next year. 

6 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

My amateur guess is the we receive 2 2nd's, a 3rd and a 5th for moving down from 3 to 15 with one of the 2nd's being next year and maybe the 3rd being next year.  That would restore our presence in rounds 2 and 5 this year.  On the draft value chart it is pretty close to a wash which in the case of a big QB move like that, would be viewed as taking less.

I would not take that.

• Upvote 2

The two interesting things about that Breer piece: The Raiders possibly taking Haskins at four after the Cards take Murray at one, which means Rosen and Carr are up for insta-auction which would be crazy. And 2. the guy who asked Breer the Jets question is a big-time JetNation poster

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

I have no problem bending on price if we trade with the raiders and giants, as we still get "our guy."  But, dropping back to 15, we're changing our entire draft.

The only reason to bend with the redskins is because you're placing a bet that their 2020 #1 is top 3.

Are we really? The Jets do not need another defensive tackle. Being able to draft offense without getting crushed for it while accruing more picks isnt all that bad. If Fant is Travis Kelce/Ertz etc, that's way more valuable to the Jets right now than Q. Will, imo.