Albert Breer suggests Jets may bend on the price for a trade down

Jetsbb

31 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

F*ck that

If Washington truly believes that a guy like Haskins can be their franchise QB for the next 10+ years, then you make them pay the price. Otherwise, good luck with Case Keenum.

Again, you don’t trade down just for the sake of trading down.

Thank you!

Folks keep acting like Mac trading down automatically means he is going to draft a quality player....Hmmmmm NO IT DOESN'T!!!

Rule don't move down unless you get the value you are supposed to....Period!

• Upvote 1

They better not "bend on the price" to move all the way from 3 to 15.

Bend away. Everyone hopping they will get the same as we gave up last year I’d going to be disappointed imo. The jets want OL. What’s better? Picking the top OL at 3 or recouping a second or what have you to grab the same or similar guy?

That said, I am obviously hoping for as much as we can get, but it’s smarter to take less and grab the OL than to take bosa, another DT or just grabbing the OL at 3. That’s whey I think anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/25/mock-draft-trades-jets-redskins-dwayne-haskins

3. *PROJECTED TRADE* Washington Redskins (via the New York Jets) select Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

From Rick Murphy (@rickm127): #Redskins draft a quarterback in the first round?

Rick, I think so, and I’m hearing that Haskins is the guy that Washington ownership and others in the organization want. This would be a massive swing up the board, but I think the Jets may be willing to bend a bit on the price in an effort to recoup what they lost in the trade up for Sam Darnold last year and accumulate some picks. Why would Washington feel the need to make this kind of move up? As I see it, on draft day, perception is as important as reality. Perception holds now, strongly in some corners, that the Raiders are considering Haskins at No. 4. Whether they are or not, I don’t know. I do know that it’s helping the Jets.

This entire discussion is based on Breer's speculation.  He is not referring to any source within the Jets organization that has indicated a willingness to bend.  Just a writer's opinion.  I think I will wait to see what plays out tonight before getting myself all bent out of shape over what we might or might not accept in a trade down that may or may not happen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!

Folks keep acting like Mac trading down automatically means he is going to draft a quality player....Hmmmmm NO IT DOESN'T!!!

Rule don't move down unless you get the value you are supposed to....Period!

It also seems like everyone who is so desperate for a trade down and picking up a 2nd rounder is in favor of doing so strictly to land a center, when it’s not even remotely guaranteed that the Jets would use that pick on a center.

I’ll laugh (and cry) my ass off if we move down and pick some 3rd rate edgerusher at #15 like Ferrell and then draft a CB in Round 2.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Bend away. Everyone hopping they will get the same as we gave up last year I’d going to be disappointed imo. The jets want OL. What’s better? Picking the top OL at 3 or recouping a second or what have you to grab the same or similar guy? 

That said, I am obviously hoping for as much as we can get, but it’s smarter to take less and grab the OL than to take bosa, another DT or just grabbing the OL at 3. That’s whey I think anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So, you are okay with us getting less (?!?!?!) than we gave up last year?  Last year we moved up 3 spots.  This year we're talking about moving down 12.  That would be a colossal blunder.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am find with a little flexibility to trade down to 15. Outside of the top 3-4 players, there is a logjam of talent between 5-15 anyway so trading back to 15 won't hurt us too much. 

We could still end up with one of the Tackles (Taylor/Williams/Dillard) or an edge guy (Burns/Ferrell/Sweat). Then with the 2nd we can get one of the centers. Far better than just Allen or Quinnen or Oliver. 

Plus extra cap space as the contracts for #15 and a second << #3 pick.

They may not get what the chart says, but it's based on year to year.   If Macc could get a next year #1, plus some extra pics this year, I'm all for it

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

This entire discussion is based on Breer's speculation.  He is not referring to any source within the Jets organization that has indicated a willingness to bend.  Just a writer's opinion.  I think I will wait to see what plays out tonight before getting myself all bent out of shape over what we might or might not accept in a trade down that may or may not happen.

And a writer whom, it must be pointed out, has been proven to be incredibly stupid over the years. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

So, you are okay with us getting less (?!?!?!) than we gave up last year?  Last year we moved up 3 spots.  This year we're talking about moving down 12.  That would be a colossal blunder.

Not to mention you would be trading with a team notorious for overpaying. 

Getting fleeced by the Redskins isn't a fireable offense. It calls for capital punishment. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if a team wanted to get up to 3 they could have done it by now 

didn't the Jets trade up to 3 for Darnold in like March 

for all the talk and hype at this point if the Jets actually do trade down would honestly be shocking 

Mac doesn't have that kind of job security. 

It's more common for these trades to happen during the draft since you don't know if the player you want will be there at 3. 

Last year I assume macc loved 2 QBs and knew the Giants were taking Barkley so they struck early. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Plus extra cap space as the contracts for #15 and a second << #3 pick.

They may not get what the chart says, but it's based on year to year.   If Macc could get a next year #1, plus some extra pics this year, I'm all for it

Yup. Some here are demanding we fleece the skins and I hope we do but I'm more concerned with making the Jets better.

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there are obviously more trades on draft day but this isn't swapping a couple of 5ths to get back into the 4th

deals for picks like 1.3 happen in advance of the draft. they are huge news deals. I don't remember exactly when Mike Ditka traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams but it wasn't when they were on the clock 

Ditka traded while he was on the clock.

It was a shock when Edge went before Williams.

Why would a quarterback hungry team trade up now when both guys could go one and two?

You don’t trade until you know your guy is available.

If you remember, MAC said he was comfortable with three quarterbacks at three last year when he traded early.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Macc just traded three 2nd round picks to move up from #6 to #3 last year. Overpaying by roughly 900 points on the draft chart.

He’ll look like a total f*cking clown if he takes nothing but Washington’s mid-2nd rounder and a future 1st to move all the way back to #15.

The Redskins would be making this trade to take a potential franchise QB. You make them PAY to pull it off.

Hopefully he isn't as concerned with the media and Twitter reactions as you appear to be. 

If the Jets get better trading down then I'm all for it even if we don't fleece the skins. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's more common for these trades to happen during the draft since you don't know if the player you want will be there at 3. 

Last year I assume macc loved 2 QBs and knew the Giants were taking Barkley so they struck early. 

I agree.  Last year was unique becasue we did not trade up fo a specific guy, we were willing to take 1 of 3 QBs.  If you are targeting one sepcific guy, you are not trading up to 3 only to risk someone else jumping them to get to #2 and then losing out on your guy..  If a deal is going to happen, it will be tonight when we are on the clock and the right guy is still on the board.  I am sure we have a framework for a couple of possible deals established -- just depends on what will happen with pick 1 & 2 if any of the deals get done.

• Upvote 1

To the Redskins

Round 1: No. 3   Value: 2,200 points

To the Jets

Round 1: No. 15   Value: 1,050 points

Round 2: No. 46   Value: 440 points

Round 3: No. 76   Value: 210 points

2020 Draft Round 1: Value 580 points???

Player: Case Keenum

Total Points Value: 2,280 plus Case Keenum to serve as Sam Darnold's backup quarterback. 

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

better value from whom?

I don't trust Mac to walk and chew gum while the clock is ticking 

Why? Why don;t people trust Macc making trades? I get it, he doesn't have the best track record of drafting in the middle rounds....but trading he's been pretty good at getting quality value and moving up when he wants to. 

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

To the Redskins

To the Jets

Total Points Value: 2,280 plus Case Keenum to serve as Sam Darnold's backup quarterback. 

No. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I agree.  Last year was unique becasue we did not trade up fo a specific guy, we were willing to take 1 of 3 QBs.  If you are targeting one sepcific guy, you are not trading up to 3 only to risk someone else jumping them to get to #2 and then losing out on your guy..  If a deal is going to happen, it will be tonight when we are on the clock and the right guy is still on the board.  I am sure we have a framework for a couple of possible deals established -- just depens n what will happen with pick 1 & 2 if any of the deals get done.

fair enough 

but look at it from Skins perspective they don't need to get to 3 necessarily. Oak and NYG have other picks in the round. They could get to 8 and get the guy they want. I get Snyder's a moron but it seems hopeful 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Hopefully he isn't as concerned with the media and Twitter reactions as you appear to be. 

If the Jets get better trading down then I'm all for it even if we don't fleece the skins. 

I don’t give two sh*ts about the media and twitter reactions. The general population already laughs at us as it is.

Getting a mid-2nd round pick and a future 1st is just plain bad value to move back that far and hand a team a potential franchise QB.

That’s essentially the same value Macc gave up to move up from #6 to #3 last year. And it likely would’ve cost even more if we had to make that trade on draft day.

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

To the Redskins

To the Jets

Can we throw in a 6th for them to keep Case Keenum?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Why? Why don;t people trust Macc making trades? I get it, he doesn't have the best track record of drafting in the middle rounds....but trading he's been pretty good at getting quality value and moving up when he wants to. 

Mac got boned last year in the trade up

by the Harvard chart, the Jimmy Johnson chart, the Hank Hill Strickland Propane chart, he got bent over to go up 3 spots

he didn't get value he overpaid. It worked out but it wasn't some sort of steal

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

How bout no trade simply pick the best player at 3?

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Mac got boned last year in the trade up

by the Harvard chart, the Jimmy Johnson chart, the Hank Hill Strickland Propane chart, he got bent over to go up 3 spots

he didn't get value he overpaid. It worked out but it wasn't some sort of steal

Yes but we got Sam who is going I be the best QB in that draft class

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

He's a better backup than Josh McCown, and he's only a $3,500,000 cap hit. Last year the Jets paid McCown $10,000,000. Why would you not want Keenum for a savings of $6,500,000? His deal expires after this season too. 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

We already have Siemian who is as good or better

This.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fair enough 

but look at it from Skins perspective they don't need to get to 3 necessarily. Oak and NYG have other picks in the round. They could get to 8 and get the guy they want. I get Snyder's a moron but it seems hopeful 

Agreed.  I have no idea if a trade will happen or not.  I hope it does, but I have no idea.  We don't know how much Wasington is willing to give up.  A lot depends on the validity of the reprots that Oakland is interested in Haskins.  Does Snyder pull the trigger on a deal to 3 to jump the Raiders, or does he think the Riader interst in Haskins is BS, in which case he waits it out.  And risks losing his guy.  If I am Snyder, and I really believe Haskins is the guy to lead my team, I am not risking losing him.  Which could also mean a trade up to 2.

A lot of variables none of us know.  First 30 - 45 minutes of the draft tonight will be fascinating.  I can't remember a draft that had this much uncertainty on draft day.  Should be fun.