Albert Breer suggests Jets may bend on the price for a trade down

Jetsbb

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm so glad our 21 years old quarterback, who will turn 22 on June 5, has it all figured out already. Thank you for that hot take. 

So he needs a mediocre qb to mentor him?  So then why are we paying Gase, the offensive coordinator and qb coach?

Just now, Philc1 said:

So he needs a mediocre qb to mentor him?  So then why are we paying Gase, the offensive coordinator and qb coach?

You're the one who thinks Siemian is a better mentor than Keenum. Let me know when Siemian leads a team to the playoffs like Keenum did in Minnesota before they signed the great Kirk Cousins. lmao

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

You're the one who thinks Siemian is a better mentor than Keenum. Let me know when Siemian leads a team to the playoffs like Keenum did in Minnesota before they signed the great Kirk Cousins. lmao

It doesn't matter. 

What Darnold needs now is a sounding board with experience, not a mentor. He's learned the ins and outs of everyday life in the NFL. He's proven himself to be a good kid with leadership ability. 

The leader of your team doesn't need a mentor. He is the mentor. 

• Haha 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

Case Keenum seems a strange hill to die on today.

Actually, defending Trevor Siemian who's done nothing in this league is a horrible hill to die on. Case Keenum actually led a team to the playoffs in 2017. What the **** has Siemian ever done to warrant mentoring Sam Darnold? Oh wait, that's right, I was told Sam Darnold doesn't need a mentor anymore. He's got those big boy pants on and getting fitted for his gold jacket already.

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

Actually, defending Trevor Siemian who's done nothing in this league is a horrible hill to die on. Case Keenum actually led a team to the playoffs in 2017. What the **** has Siemian ever done to warrant mentoring Sam Darnold? Oh wait, that's right, I was told Sam Darnold doesn't need a mentor anymore. He's got those big boy pants on and getting fitted for his gold jacket already.

Nobody said anything about the Hall of Fame. you Case Keenum loving freak. 

there's no such thing as a QB mentor 

there are starters and backups 

backups want to start, starters want the backups to never put the clipboard down

it's professional sports not hug time family fun hour 

this is another fallacy that fans believe hopefully along with "the HC makes the draft pick"  and "trade down is easy" 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

We hired Adam Gase to mentor Sam Darnold.

No one is a big Trevor Siemian fan here.  They're just comfortable with him as a $2M back-up.

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

How am I a Case Keenum loving freak? I just was throwing him in a trade as a backup quarterback to mentor Darnold. We'll just agree to disagree on this Klecko. I get you love Siemian. 

I honestly don't give a **** about Siemien because I don't expect to ever see him take a meaningful snap in a Jets uniform. 

I just know that the notion that the Skins are gonna trade a guy who is their presumed starter as a throw in is as ridiculous as thinking he would do anything to improve Sam Darnold's game. 

41 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t give two sh*ts about the media and twitter reactions. The general population already laughs at us as it is.

Getting a mid-2nd round pick and a future 1st is just plain bad value to move back that far and hand a team a potential franchise QB.

That’s essentially the same value Macc gave up to move up from #6 to #3 last year. And it likely would’ve cost even more if we had to make that trade on draft day.

I have been saying all along that I want to trade with the Skins because I think we can fleece them thanks to Snyder being a fool and their desperation for a QB. 

My example was merely that, an example. The point was that if we wanted a 1,2,3 this year and 1 next year (again throwing out those picks as an example not of what I would take) that it would be ok to settle for a 1,2,4 and 1 next year. I wasn't suggesting that I would do either one of those trades. Maybe we also get a decent player in return to make up the difference. 

Whatever the trade value Macc puts on the trade, if we take a smidge less than that it wouldn't be the end of the world. I wasn't suggesting we get fleeced.  

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This should all be about picks.  Let the Redskins dump their problem players on other teams.  If a deal is done, it should be all about the picks.   Especially if they want to dump the salary of a grossly overpaid back up QB.  

Often these trades involve a decent player or two because teams don't want to give up all their draft capital. If we can land a serviceable player on top of a good haul of picks, then sure I would take that. Obviously, 90pct of the trade value we get in return should be in the form of draft capital. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I'm not accepting it, I'm expecting it. Two totally different words. 

Also have to wonder if the Jon Gruden is ****ing with his brother with today's report that Haskins is the Raiders' guy. Two brothers could be in cahoots, but they could also be bigger rivals than any other two coaches in the league. 

Cahoots! 

25 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I honestly don't give a **** about Siemien because I don't expect to ever see him take a meaningful snap in a Jets uniform. 

How many seasons in the past say, ten, has the jets #1 QB started and played every down of every game?

You might want to rethink your predictions regarding our backup "playing meaningful snaps".  They play meaningful snaps pretty much every single year.

I have no prob going from 3 to 15. As a matter of fact I like it. We can get a good player and OL maybe someone like Garrett Bradbury. CBS has published a mock draft with us trading down with Wash and selecting Brian Burns at 15. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-three-teams-trade-into-top-10-including-redskins-for-dwayne-haskins/

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This entire discussion is based on Breer's speculation.  He is not referring to any source within the Jets organization that has indicated a willingness to bend.  Just a writer's opinion.  I think I will wait to see what plays out tonight before getting myself all bent out of shape over what we might or might not accept in a trade down that may or may not happen.

Isn’t Breer the guy who ran that story about the Jets scouting Sam and everything that led up to his selection, right after the draft?

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many seasons in the past say, ten, has the jets #1 QB started and played every down of every game?

You might want to rethink your predictions regarding our backup "playing meaningful snaps".  They play meaningful snaps pretty much every single year.

He missed three games last year and only really one was due to injury. The other two were to give him a chance to take a breath and re-assess and learn. 

He's 21. In all likelihood he's starting all 16 this year. 

3 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

He missed three games last year and only really one was due to injury. The other two were to give him a chance to take a breath and re-assess and learn. 

He's 21. In all likelihood he's starting all 16 this year. 

I most certainly hope you're right, and Darnold never misses another snap in his career.

History may not support such optimism, nor (IMO) does the quality of our O-Line.  

So, you are okay with us getting less (?!?!?!) than we gave up last year?  Last year we moved up 3 spots.  This year we're talking about moving down 12.  That would be a colossal blunder.

I am. We over paid by 900 value pts last year to try and move up to grab one of the top QB’s in the strongest qb class in years. It’s supply and demand. Buffalo was creeping up the draft board too. It was a different scene.

I’m saying I WANT less of course. I’m saying I value the trade More than I value a single player. Especially defense.
Now, if the trade is ridiculous than that’s one thing. Slightly less value than the chart suggested is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I am. We over paid by 900 value pts last year to try and move up to grab one of the top QB’s in the strongest qb class in years. It’s supply and demand. Buffalo was creeping up the draft board too. It was a different scene.

I’m saying I WANT less of course. I’m saying I value the trade More than I value a single player. Especially defense.
Now, if the trade is ridiculous than that’s one thing. Slightly less value than the chart suggested is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Slightly less than chart value should still net us a better deal than we paid, I'd think.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

drafting in hindsight it easy and fun for all ages

the trade down crew seems to only want to see the best case scenario 

Most of us were alive for the actual worst case scenario which was Orlando Pace draft. 

those that forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them 

You’re right.  And I was alive and had already invested almost 20 years of my life to the Jets when we traded out of that top pick.

And there are plenty of worst case scenarios where we didn’t trade down.  How many HoFers were selected after we took Dwayne Robertson?

None of this will matter if MacC and Hiemerdinger don’t improve on their success rate on day 2 and 3 of the draft.