Eye opener

Good friend of mine, one our our Battalion Chiefs had a stroke last night, at work. The guys found him in his office unresponsive, immediately recognized the problem, and stroke alerted him to our local Comprehensive Stroke Center. 

We were born on the same exact day, 47 years old. Crazy. He's still in the hospital, but alert and responsive, but still with some neurological issues. 

Take care of yourselves, don't ignore warning signs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Good friend of mine, one our our Battalion Chiefs had a stroke last night, at work. The guys found him in his office unresponsive, immediately recognized the problem, and stroke alerted him to our local Comprehensive Stroke Center. 

We were born on the same exact day, 47 years old. Crazy. He's still in the hospital, but alert and responsive, but still with some neurological issues. 

Sorry dude. I know we disagree about football stuff but this is real life. My heart and prayers go out to his family and to you as well.  You make a great point, we cant ignore warning signs. I had something that I thought was something bad but got it checked...thankfully its nothing

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jets723 said:

Sorry dude. I know we disagree about football stuff but this is real life. My heart and prayers go out to his family and to you as well.  You make a great point, we cant ignore warning signs. I had something that I thought was something bad but got it checked...thankfully its nothing

Update, he had a pretty serious TIA. It was transient, but way more pronounced than a typical TIA. CT scan was clear, and symptoms resolved within 24 hours. Hes going to be released tomorrow. 

Dude is an amazing guy. Hes a Battalion Chief for our department, and ALSO works Pediatric Critical Care at Miami Childrens Hospital as an RN....and is one of my best friends. He and his wife also recently had a baby that was in NICU for almost a month.

Stress is a killer. As I said before, take care of yourselves.

And yeah, this is just Football. Appreciate it, 723.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

47 ! Good grief. Hope he has a speedy recovery and is back to 100% soon. It's scary. Sometimes it's a wake up call for us all.

All the best.

• Post of the Week 1

1st up it's important to KNOW what those warning signs are. Annual checkups and asking questions, looking things up go a long way to helping.

Last thought... You are what you eat.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Update, he had a pretty serious TIA. It was transient, but way more pronounced than a typical TIA. CT scan was clear, and symptoms resolved within 24 hours. Hes going to be released tomorrow. 

Dude is an amazing guy. Hes a Battalion Chief for our department, and ALSO works Pediatric Critical Care at Miami Childrens Hospital as an RN....and is one of my best friends. He and his wife also recently had a baby that was in NICU for almost a month.

Stress is a killer. As I said before, take care of yourselves.

And yeah, this is just Football. Appreciate it, 723.

Damn my heart goes out to his wife too.  Having to deal with a newborn in the NICU for a month then this.  I can relate to having tragedy come to one of your best friends. I lost two of my best friends from childhood within 9 months of eachother. Just stay strong dude. Also thanks for not taking anything personally, the bf's are me more or less kidding around just trying to lighten the mood. Anyway just wanted to give my condolences to you

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

There's not really a proper emoji to show support but there ought to be.  Best wishes to your friend.  

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Christ. Best wishes, man. That's terrifying

Hope he gets well soon.

Scary story, I'm happy he's coming home.

Obviously you're right when you say look for warning signs, but sometimes it can just come down to good or bad luck.

I'm in my 60's and until 2 years ago I never was put on any type of medication. Didn't even need reading glasses, lol. I had an exam that January, the last words my Dr said were, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it." A few weeks later, I woke up with bad pain in my shoulder. The next day I could hardly move or lift my arm. I was visiting family on Long Island, so I went to see my old doctor there. 

It turned out I had a "frozen shoulder", and got lucky, it healed within a month. What was incredible though was when he took my blood pressure, it was 224 over 121. I've always been in the 125/85 range. He knew I was up there because my mom wasn't doing well. He told me that was the only reason he wasn't putting me in the hospital, and that I was on the verge of a stroke. Told me to go home, rest, but if I got even a mild headache, go to the ER. Started taking BP meds, now back to normal, but wow, that was scary.

Long story short, that shoulder thing probably saved my life. I had just gotten a clean bill of health a few weeks prior, and felt fine, yet I had suddenly become a walking time bomb.

• Upvote 1