Reasons Williams is a good pick

Feel free to add to this thread.  Try to make us all feel better....

Among all FBS defensive linemen, Williams ranked first in Pro Football Focus' pass-rush productivity metric. He was also first in run stop percentage.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/quinnen-williams-nfl-draft-profile-everything-to-know-about-measurements-strengths-team-fits/

Edit:  Again, the point of this thread is to focus on the positive!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Not arguing that he could be a dominant player. But more defense? Absurd when you factor in we took 2 DTs last draft  . How many times are you in a position to trade down from a top pick knowing when you already have a QB? They should’ve struck while the iron was hot and took just about any trade offer. From everything I read the heart of this draft is the middle of the first round to the end of the second. Q Williams was considered a top one, two, three pick. But they could’ve really capitalized.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I mean yeah it’s obvious he’s a good player but the criticism is the use of resources here especially with the lack of picks they have and the 3rd and 6th rounders they spent on the same position last year. I really hope he’s worth it but it seems wasteful

• Upvote 3

He's a generational talent at his position that's just about a surefire star, but in given our past and current situation I understand the skepticism of some.

It's similar to the Giants taking Barkley, but not as bad of a decision.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

I mean yeah it’s obvious he’s a good player but the criticism is the use of resources here especially with the lack of picks they have and the 3rd and 6th rounders they spent on the same position last year. I really hope he’s worth it but it seems wasteful

No the criticism is that fans believe he should have and could have traded the 3rd pick for a boatload of 1s and 2s and decided not to make a deal. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

10 career sacks, 8 last year in his ONE big year on a stacked  team that was up against teams having to pass all the time because bama was killing them.

This guy is going to be a good run stopper and a 6-8 sack player.

Which is what we already have and which ignores the half dozen other glaring holes on this team.

Nice player, AWFUL pick for the Jets

Who do we have that gets 6-8  sacks?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

nfl.com said this in their live trackers:

Quinnen Williams DL, BAMA

Height: 6-3, Weight: 303

I love this pick. I could make a case for Josh Allen as the Jets needed more of a pure pass rusher, but this kid will be dominant. People in the league have compared him to Reggie White, let's slow down a bit on that, but this kid is a dominating player.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

10 career sacks, 8 last year in his ONE big year on a stacked  team that was up against teams having to pass all the time because bama was killing them.

This guy is going to be a good run stopper and a 6-8 sack player.

Which is what we already have and which ignores the half dozen other glaring holes on this team.

Nice player, AWFUL pick for the Jets

I don't mind hating the pick but at least know what you're talking about.

3 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Becomes more logical when you see how rest of top ten has moved. No one wanted Haskins. 

People prob looking for a serious discount.

Excuse me but common sense posts like this aren't welcome on this board. You must be furious over the draft picks Macc turned down even though we have no idea what draft picks were offered.

• Sympathy 1

Remember this a good oline beats a good dline!!!! It happened before with Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams, they did nothing against good teams with good olines. It is going to happen again!!! 

Its another year without an edge rusher!!! The edge rusher would of taken the pressure off the dline when pressuring the QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

yes that’s what I’m saying. it’s a poor use of resources 

SO you know he could have. He just needed to snap his fingers and poof there would be a deal to be made?  Because as I've asked, who needs to trade up watching this draft unfold?

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

We already have our QB so I have absolutely no issue with taking the guy the scouts are saying is the best pick in the draft.  Seems like a safe pick and could be a really good player.  Also, we're loading up on defense now.  Hopefully there will be a tipping point at some point and we'll start to play like the Ravens.

Finally an actual sane post lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1