Reasons Williams is a good pick

thshadow

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Now trade up for Greedy Williams:

Quinnen Williams

Leonard Williams

Gregg Williams

Greedy Williams

Yeah Mac can trade the two DTs he’s drafted last year plus the first best player available we were all blessed with (Leonard) to go draft the best player available in the 2nd. Sick!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expected it. Mac just doesnt have the balls to trade down. He is a political corporate job and he is always going to go for the 1st round pick that gives him stainless steel butt coverage. It's so expected that I just feel weary and not angry. Let's hope he is a better "best player in the draft" than Adams and Leo were and he really is a dominant force. So trying to be positive, the best way to beat Brady is with inside pressure and we will be stout up the middle. They announced him as a NT, so maybe we stick with a 3-4 with Anderson and Leo as DE

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Apparently not, supposedly the Bills called.  Whatever Macc said no talks lead tonandeal where the return was better than Q

Imagine letting the Bills have the "honor" of draffing Quinnen for additional picks and taking Oliver at 9. Still so much talent slipping into the 2nd...Ford, Taylor, Greedy, Murphy, Metcalf. 

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I expected it. Mac just doesnt have the balls to trade down. He is a political corporate job and he is always going to go for the 1st round pick that gives him stainless steel butt coverage. It's so expected that I just feel weary and not angry. Let's hope he is a better "best player in the draft" than Adams and Leo were and he really is a dominant force. So trying to be positive, the best way to beat Brady is with inside pressure and we will be stout up the middle. They announced him as a NT, so maybe we stick with a 3-4 with Anderson and Leo as DE

As soon as 49ers took Bosa I knew Quinnen was a Jet.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We already have our QB so I have absolutely no issue with taking the guy the scouts are saying is the best pick in the draft.  Seems like a safe pick and could be a really good player.  Also, we're loading up on defense now.  Hopefully there will be a tipping point at some point and we'll start to play like the Ravens.

That would require a pass rush and cornerbacks, of which we have neither

14 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Imagine letting the Bills have the "honor" of draffing Quinnen for additional picks and taking Oliver at 9. Still so much talent slipping into the 2nd...Ford, Taylor, Greedy, Murphy, Metcalf. 

Imagine the brains involved in trading the top DT for a different DT.  Because now your crystal ball says we were offered the 9th and a 2nd and maybe more.

You mean better than an pro bowler ... Right ???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Williams looks like a potentially great player.  The problem is, he's an interior guy, and unless you're Aaron Donald or JJ Watt, interior guys are generally not game-changing players.  So basically, at #3 overall, Q. Williams better be near that Aaron Donald level, or else the pick won't be worth it.

34 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The only way this pick is justified is if he’s Aaron n Donald level of play. A Leonard Williams 2.0, should get Macc Fired!

Absolutely. Quinnen needs to be what Leo was expected to be. Dominant, disruptive, double teams ineffective against him, a guy who wrecks an offense. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Imagine the brains involved in trading the top DT for a different DT.  Because now your crystal ball says we were offered the 9th and a 2nd and maybe more.

My crystal ball? I'm going off the rumor that the Bills were interested in moving to #3, if that was the case i'd be happy to draft Oliver @ 9 + additional picks, one probably being a 2nd. If Jets are drafting DT top 10 may as well pick the right one.

5 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

My crystal ball? I'm going off the rumor that the Bills were interested in moving to #3, if that was the case i'd be happy to draft Oliver @ 9 + additional picks, one probably being a 2nd. If Jets are drafting DT top 10 may as well pick the right one.

I brought up the Bills.  No one knows what they were offering.

They took the right DT.  The one who produced.  Not the one who became the flavor of the month of the combine. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I brought up the Bills.  No one knows what they were offering.

They took the right DT.  The one who produced.  Not the one who became the flavor of the month of the combine. 

Time will tell which DT was the right pick and if DT was the right pick at all. We'll all have a good look week 1 when Oliver is owning our guards to open the season.

24 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Time will tell which DT was the right pick and if DT was the right pick at all. We'll all have a good look week 1 when Oliver is owning our guards to open the season.

I'm you'd celebrate if it happened.

You won't be.

Yeah time will tell, fo

I won't go so far as to call it a "good" pick. I'll call it a "not bad" pick. Just like every other first-rounder in the Macc era (jury still being out on Darnold, of course). Macc focuses on limiting downside with premium picks. That's just who he is. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

SO you know he could have. He just needed to snap his fingers and poof there would be a deal to be made?  Because as I've asked, who needs to trade up watching this draft unfold?

Yep. How good do redskins feel ? Didn’t panic and trade up, got Haskins at fifteen 

I think Williams was a good pick that will make or break Macc.  And he knows it too.  The entire draft will probably be his legacy,  If he gets a starter in the secondary and finds a long term answer at center.  He just might make it out alive.  But Darnold was a Hail Mary that bought him another year.  The kid from Alabama has to do the same thing.

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

You don't draft for need ....

No one said differently.  The jets just have no plan.  6 first round dl in 12 years, 2 drafted last year, one traded for last year.  Is this really how the jets should be allocating resources?  No.

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Williams was a good pick that will make or break Macc.  And he knows it too.  The entire draft will probably be his legacy,  If he gets a starter in the secondary and finds a long term answer at center.  He just might make it out alive.  But Darnold was a Hail Mary that bought him another year.  The kid from Alabama has to do the same thing.

Nope, it starts and ends with Sam.

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

Yeah Mac can trade the two DTs he’s drafted last year plus the first best player available we were all blessed with (Leonard) to go draft the best player available in the 2nd. Sick!

You know I was joking, right?

10 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Not arguing that he could be a dominant player. But more defense? Absurd when you factor in we took 2 DTs last draft  . How many times are you in a position to trade down from a top pick knowing when you already have a QB? They should’ve struck while the iron was hot and took just about any trade offer. From everything I read the heart of this draft is the middle of the first round to the end of the second. Q Williams was considered a top one, two, three pick. But they could’ve really capitalized.

not the best outcome, imo, but it's not like they could've taken any trade deal to get out of the 3 spot.  they got a really good player and while he's another in the long line of dlinemen the jets have picked over the past decade he does have the ability to play in other dline positions besides tackles.  and, as lucas and scott pointed out on sny, he's going to be good at getting pressure up the middle.  tommy boy dislikes this pressure as do most qb's so maybe we're seeing a defensive strategy in play here.  and, he could very well put pressure on leo to perform and not be so greedy in his future contract demands.

the bottom line is they improved their team with this pick and that's what they need to be doing.

No one said differently.  The jets just have no plan.  6 first round dl in 12 years, 2 drafted last year, one traded for last year.  Is this really how the jets should be allocating resources?  No.

Was our DLine dominant last year ? No it wasn't. Past allocations.have nothing to do with it.

This benefits Mosely and Adams in a literally huge way.

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Was our DLine dominant last year ? No it wasn't. Past allocations.have nothing to do with it.

This benefits Mosely and Adams in a literally huge way.

You obviously know nothing about the managing of resources.  

Archived