Reasons Williams is a good pick

thshadow

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yep. How good do redskins feel ? Didn’t panic and trade up, got Haskins at fifteen 

He a feeling that the board might break like most predicted and oh it did we would be left without a trade partner. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Absolutely. Quinnen needs to be what Leo was expected to be. Dominant, disruptive, double teams ineffective against him, a guy who wrecks an offense. 

The one thing I will say about the comparison is that Leo was more of a projection because he was so young, but Quinnen was really dominant in his play last year. Who knows maybe in this case 1+1 will equal 3 and Leo and Quinnen will be incredibly disruptive up the middle which could lead to a great defense. Looking at the way the draft went though I am not sure Quinnen will be good enough to warrant not trading down. One of the weaker drafts I can remember.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He a feeling that the board might break like most predicted and oh it did we would be left without a trade partner. 

Reminded me yr when everyone had us taking geno at 8? The “ experts “ said we got tremendous value being able to wait and grab him in the top of 2nd ha

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

10 career sacks, 8 last year in his ONE big year on a stacked  team that was up against teams having to pass all the time because bama was killing them.

This guy is going to be a good run stopper and a 6-8 sack player.

Which is what we already have and which ignores the half dozen other glaring holes on this team.

Nice player, AWFUL pick for the Jets

Spot on!  I'm still waiting to hear the argument that properly explains not taking a blue chip player at a position of need for a blue chip player at a position we don't need.  Even if we let Leo walk in a year or two, Q. Williams merely replaces him and we've in essence spun our wheels and haven't gotten much better.  Filling a massive hole with a top prospect seems so much more logical a strategy.  I seriously don't get the organizational thinking here.  

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

10 career sacks, 8 last year in his ONE big year on a stacked  team that was up against teams having to pass all the time because bama was killing them.

This guy is going to be a good run stopper and a 6-8 sack player.

Which is what we already have and which ignores the half dozen other glaring holes on this team.

Nice player, AWFUL pick for the Jets

And he was doubled and tripled all season for his 9 sacks from the middle pressure.

AWFUL.pick.  Everyone is wrong.

We will see

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And he was doubled and tripled all season for his 9 sacks from the middle pressure.

AWFUL.pick.  Everyone is wrong.

We will see

1 sack and 3.5 tackles for loss in the bowl series 3 games.  The biggest games of the year vs good teams.  Not vs teams like the Citadel and Arkansas.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1 sack and 3.5 tackles for loss in the bowl series 3 games.  The biggest games of the year vs good teams.  Not vs teams like the Citadel and Arkansas.

So now you're going to point to a single game to make the pick awful and everyone wrong. 

Wow, you're trying too hard.  I get it you wanted Allen or whoever.  I wanted Allen but get why they went with QW.  I'm not arrogant enough to turn I'd rather have Allen into QW was an awful pick.

I'm sorry it's you can't see the difference

I think the criticism seems excessive and not even reasonable. Two arguments:

1. "It isn't a position of need..."

WHAT?! The Jets weren't consistently able to stop the run. Their best player wasn't effective because they didn't have any other threats inside (or outside).

IMO, you build up the middle to win. If you don't have strength up the middle, you got nothing. If you can't disrupt the A-gap pass rush wise, you certainly can't stop Brady. The way a defense becomes dominant is to have dominant units on it. You can't be a great defense with a great player here and there, you have to a critical mass. I'm hopeful, Williams and Williams will be that critical mass to help out the rest of the defense perform better.

2. "Josh Allen would be a better fit..."

I don't think so. Without great DL play, edge rushers can be handled. I'm not saying he'd be a bust, I just like building from the middle outward. I guess I've seen the Jets be decent without a marquise edge-rusher for so long, and seen other teams like NE do pretty well without a "name" OLB. And I also believe the A-gap pressure is the most impactful anyway.

I wanted Josh Allen. But I really wanted Anthony Barr and Q Williams. I think Williams is the better choice. An edge rusher will be there and, really, with a better interior DL, guys like Copeland and Lee should be able to pressure the QB from the outside better.

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think the criticism seems excessive and not even reasonable. Two arguments:

1. "It isn't a position of need..."

WHAT?! The Jets weren't consistently able to stop the run. Their best player wasn't effective because they didn't have any other threats inside (or outside).

IMO, you build up the middle to win. If you don't have strength up the middle, you got nothing. If you can't disrupt the A-gap pass rush wise, you certainly can't stop Brady. The way a defense becomes dominant is to have dominant units on it. You can't be a great defense with a great player here and there, you have to a critical mass. I'm hopeful, Williams and Williams will be that critical mass to help out the rest of the defense perform better.

2. "Josh Allen would be a better fit..."

I don't think so. Without great DL play, edge rushers can be handled. I'm not saying he'd be a bust, I just like building from the middle outward. I guess I've seen the Jets be decent without a marquise edge-rusher for so long, and seen other teams like NE do pretty well without a "name" OLB. And I also believe the A-gap pressure is the most impactful anyway.

I wanted Josh Allen. But I really wanted Anthony Barr and Q Williams. I think Williams is the better choice. An edge rusher will be there and, really, with a better interior DL, guys like Copeland and Lee should be able to pressure the QB from the outside better.

I think most people, myself included, wanted to find players that would help Darnold. QW doesn't do that. 

He might well be a terrific player - and I never really doubted that. But we finally have a franchise quarterback I believe in, and I think a better GM would've found a way to help him. 

It reminds me of the Mosley signing, tbqh. Mosley is a great player and fills a need, but spending those resources on him, instead of say, a portion of them on Matt Paradis, was a poor choice. Again - nothing against Mosley or QW. 

A lot of people have said it already, but Mac GM's like he's scared to lose his job as opposed to a true, astute, builder of a roster.

21 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think most people, myself included, wanted to find players that would help Darnold. QW doesn't do that. 

He might well be a terrific player - and I never really doubted that. But we finally have a franchise quarterback I believe in, and I think a better GM would've found a way to help him. 

It reminds me of the Mosley signing, tbqh. Mosley is a great player and fills a need, but spending those resources on him, instead of say, a portion of them on Matt Paradis, was a poor choice. Again - nothing against Mosley or QW. 

A lot of people have said it already, but Mac GM's like he's scared to lose his job as opposed to a true, astute, builder of a roster.

The first issue I have with this opinion is the reliance on "...most people". IMO, most people is not a significant validation of the opinions. "Most people" thought the world was flat centuries ago. Just because "most people" or "a lot of people" think a certain way is not a persuasive argument.

Beyond that, I think having a defense that is built solidly up the middle and able to generate a-gap pressure is going to help Darnold, with additional opportunities. I think the Jets have a responsibility to give Darnold weapons, but if Darnold's "all that" he should be able to improve his performance with the healthy weapons he has now. The Jets do need to bolster the OL and certainly another threatening WR would be great. But not with the 3rd pick in the draft.

I wanted Josh Allen first. I would have settled for Bosa. But then, right before the draft, Bosa started to fall in my estimation. Injury history and, for me, just his style, really didn't WOW me. When Josh Allen went #7, I feel that was the proper spot for him. I think it would have been overpaying for an edge rusher when the defense would be weak up the middle.

And I didn't think much about Q Williams because I hated the Leonard Williams pick and felt this would be the same: an overhyped interior DL who is "the best player" in the draft falling to the Jets. And, IMO, DT is becoming a less impactful position. That said, you have to have a mismatch somewhere, and what better place to have it than right up the opposing offense's a-gap? Especially if you don't have the marquis edge rusher.

So, you can see I'm of mixed emotions. But I think this is a little different because I think the team is in a different spot. And I'm of the opinion that you build the OL and DL first, then you get the other pieces. But I sure would like some sacks from an OLB. Maybe Williams and Williams helps get us there.

Archived