JetNation

Jets Show Restraint, Turn Down Trade Offers, Snag Draft’s top Player

Also, whomever had the diabolical idea to tease Oliver the past few days can eff right off to hell. When I saw nfl.com update to the pick is in instead of trade I was thinking Ol8ver was our guy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, good news, Q. The bar ain’t that high.

Aren't you the least bit excited seeing what Greg Williams can do with these two? This could be nasty like when Buddy Ryan in Philadelphia had Reggie White and Jerome Brown in 1989.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

He looks small. I get that Leo is big, but QW isn't some guy off the street and he looks tiny. It might be the hair.

Aww man, you know that’s the very first thing I thought about Sanchez and I know how that turned out.  I agree with you, he does look small.

Thats the thing about the draft.  These kids can dominate other boys, but as of now they’re now playing not just against men, but men who were all once the best at the same level these kids are coming from.

Gil Brandt says he can play anywhere on the line but was “troubled” that he didn’t bench.

7 hours ago, Copernicus said:

No arguing that Williams is a good prospect. Jets did not reach. But  more defense? Especially DT? Absurd when you factor in we took 2 DTs last draft  . How many times are you in a position to trade down from a top pick know when you already have a QB? They should’ve struck while the iron was hot and took just about any trade offer. From everything I read the heart of this draft is the middle of the first round to the end of the second. Q Williams was considered a top one, two, three pick. But they could’ve really capitalized.

Yep, very frustrating

6 hours ago, CTM said:

Also, whomever had the diabolical idea to tease Oliver the past few days can eff right off to hell. When I saw nfl.com update to the pick is in instead of trade I was thinking Ol8ver was our guy 

I would’ve much preferred Oliver. He at least will get to the QB quickly and often and will make a lot of TFL’s. Unless QW is the second coming of JJ Watt/Warren Sapp then this just feels like another missed opportunity

He is not the "best" player in the draft. He is the surest bet to fulfill expectations. i.e. the most talented player with the least question marks.

I would have preferred a trade down, but without a QB teams were desperate to trade up to get, the value likely was not there. I'm fine with the pick. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Copernicus said:

No arguing that Williams is a good prospect. Jets did not reach. But  more defense? Especially DT? Absurd when you factor in we took 2 DTs last draft  . How many times are you in a position to trade down from a top pick know when you already have a QB? They should’ve struck while the iron was hot and took just about any trade offer. From everything I read the heart of this draft is the middle of the first round to the end of the second. Q Williams was considered a top one, two, three pick. But they could’ve really capitalized.

Personally, I can't criticize the failure to trade down without knowing what the offers were. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Almost every year of Big Mac’s tenure, we got the best player in the draft.....yet we’re still in position to pick the best player in the draft...year after year 

Hey!!!!  It's a skill!!! :)

I’m sure mac was out of touch with reality. To move back at 9, He was expecting to receive what he gave up to move up to 3 last yr. there were not studs at top of this draft like last year. Id like to know what he was offered 

• Butt Fumble 1

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I would’ve much preferred Oliver. He at least will get to the QB quickly and often and will make a lot of TFL’s. Unless QW is the second coming of JJ Watt/Warren Sapp then this just feels like another missed opportunity

Lol those 13 sacks he had in 3 years just screams a guy who gets to QB quickly and often . 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Personally, I can't criticize the failure to trade down without knowing what the offers were. 

Will we find out ? Or will Mac demand everyone stays hush on the offers.

8 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Leo looks bigger. Must be the hair.

Lets hope the DT they take in round 3 is an immediate contributor so Q can be eased in and not rushed.

The thing is, we'll never know who offered the Jets what, so there is no use in debating about whether we should have traded down or not. It depends on what the offers were.  

I think the best two arguments against Williams are that  (A) It wasn't a need and (B) He doesn't play a premium position. 
We KNOW that the raiders weren't trading up for ferrel and the giants weren't trading up for Daniel Jones. We KNOW the Redskins were not offering enough to jump ahead of the giants Broncos or Bengals or even the dolphins so they may have actually not ever been serious about trading.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Excellent grab. He was virtually  unblockable last year. The run game will be shutdown up the middle this year and the Jets should have a good Bullrush up the middle. Add a safety blitz to that.....LETHAL.

Look, do you guys prefer the BAP or do you trust Mac's picks in the later rounds??

11 hours ago, shuler82 said:

It's such an easy article to write at this point. Just copy, paste, and switch the name/college/position. 

Almost as easy as posting the  complaints to picking the best player in the draft.

12 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Almost every year of Big Mac’s tenure, we got the best player in the draft.....yet we’re still in position to pick the best player in the draft...year after year 

BPA Leo. What’s he done. Squat. Was projected as the #1 pick for months before the draft yet slid down to 6. 

BPA Adams. Picking a safety at 6. Ludicrous. 1 int in 2 years and is lousy in coverage. Total reach when we had other pressing needs. 

Lee BPA? Gets run over like a cartoon character. Now in the doghouse with the signing of Mosley who Macc paid out the butt for. 

QW BPA. I could  care less. In fact, this is the one guy I would have avoided and only makes sense if Leo was traded. Trading back was the move, even if you only get back a 2 and 3. This draft is stacked with players that are practically equal talent wise across the board in most positions.