This is why we couldn't trade down

45 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Trading back for so so o linemen would not have been a good spend.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There were good players available at #4. There were good players available at #9. There are good players still available in the 2nd round. Let's hope some of them are  still around when we get to our pick in the 3rd round.

A bad strategy is to continue to spend high picks on DT who never see a 2nd contract. Doesn't sound like Leo is going to get that second contract. 2 or 3 years in to these BPA DT, it's buyers remorse so far for us. Let's hope Q ends the streak.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

So nobody wanted to trade up for Haskins. Fine. But isn't Q a generational talent? Nobody wanted to trade up for him. I feel lucky. I guess. 

Instead of whining, how about telling us who we should have traded down with. One of the 50 teams that also drafted defensive linemen in the first round? Which team is going to make the expensive jump to #3 for a non-QB, for a defensive linemen, in a draft stocked with quality DL?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Instead of whining, how about telling us who we should have traded down with. One of the 50 teams that also drafted defensive linemen in the first round? Which team is going to make the expensive jump to #3 for a non-QB, for a defensive linemen, in a draft stocked with quality DL?

We'll never know exactly. But it’s being reported that oak wanted to jump to #3 likely for Q. And buf wanted to jump up likely for Q or Oliver. Schefter a pretty reliable source said we had trade offers.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

Who ever is mad about the pick today,  has no clue about Jets or football,  yes I wanted J Allen. , but not mad about taking probally best pick in draft.  Just Because of DT history.  Qw has probowl type play in him.  

It’s telling that Joe Beningo, the leader of same ole Jets and the master of negativity said he would be okay with QW. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Will never know exactly. But it’s being reported that oak wanted to jump to #3 likely for Q. And buf wanted to jump up likely for Q or Oliver. Schefter a pretty reliable source said we had trade offers.

Thoughts?

Who knows what those offers were. If Oakland was offering anything less than a second-rounder for moving up to #3, I would have told them to get lost. People forget that most draft day trades are precipitated by the team drafting up, not the team drafting down. It's all contingent on a team targeting someone and desiring them so much that they're willing to pay a price to move up to get them. There doesn't appear to have been anyone in this draft who was an object of such desire, at least not for the price that would have been required to move up into the top 5. Q. WIlliams wasn't going to fetch that kind of offer because there were so many other talented defensive linemen in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Ryan Day (OSU OC last year and HC this year) was on GMFB this morning and said he worked with the Redskins OC with the 49'ers and the Redskins interviewed everyone around Haskins - they love him and Mac could not make that trade work? would be interested to see what the offer was

If they moved up to 5 to get him I could understand your point.  But they stood pat at 15 and he fell.  Possibly, they had a good feeling he wasn't going to get taken prior or they would have moved up at least somewhat.  To expect them to have moved up to 3 when he fell to 15?  That's really reaching, don't you think?  This was a very unusual year but the only big move up was for a LB and wasn't anywhere near to where we picked.

44 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If they moved up to 5 to get him I could understand your point.  But they stood pat at 15 and he fell.  Possibly, they had a good feeling he wasn't going to get taken prior or they would have moved up at least somewhat.  To expect them to have moved up to 3 when he fell to 15?  That's really reaching, don't you think?  This was a very unusual year but the only big move up was for a LB and wasn't anywhere near to where we picked.

I could be overreacting a bit :)

but considering giants drafted a QB there was risk, maybe they knew gmen would take the kid from basketball U but there was something there that could have been capitalized on...

No issues with QW at all, kid should be great but it seems like a repeat of past mistakes (the position not the player)

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The Genius elite on the board said Rosen was the most NFL ready QB last year and not one team made a play for him??

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Genius elite on the board said Rosen was the most NFL ready QB last year and not one team made a play for him??

I will own my share of this.  I didn't want him over Darnold, but I did like him over Mayfield.  I still think he could become a good QB in the league (probably just as good or better than Daniel Jones) and that he is undervalued right now, but I was definitely wrong about how I ranked the QBs last year.  

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I will own my share of this.  I didn't want him over Darnold, but I did like him over Mayfield.  I still think he could become a good QB in the league (probably just as good or better than Daniel Jones) and that he is undervalued right now, but I was definitely wrong about how I ranked the QBs last year.  

Rosen for a 2nd (maybe to Miami or Cincy?) would be a smart move for one of those teams. 

Teams usually only trade up for top tier QB's.  It's the most important position so  teams are willing to mortgage the future to get them regardless of BAP.  Since there weren't many "top" QB's available this draft, we got screwed.  We probably got some lowball offers from teams thinking we were desperate to trade down.