Who lead nation in QB pressures?

Just now, Jamax99 said:

Q Williams !!!  Lead all passrushers in college in forcing quaterbacks to get rid of ball! Its not just about sacks , still had 8.5 and shut down the run, gets double teamed alot , cant wait for him to loose some baby fat.    Great pick.  

Who led the NFL in sacks? Donald.

Great QBs get the ball out quick. Edge rushers, even the great ones, simply don;t have time to get to the QB these days. The trend has been to create pressure inside, collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB to at the very least move off his spot where he is not comfortable throwing and is forced closer to the edge rushers.

I think G. Williams wants to emulate that and get athletic pass rushers on the interior of the line. QW and Leo are perfect for that, H.Anderson can also play a similar role- even if he is rotated in on passing plays. 

Macc is not a dolt and neither is G.Williams. Both know the type of player QW is and G.Williams knows how he will use him.     

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Jamax99 said:

Q Williams !!!  Lead all passrushers in college in forcing quaterbacks to get rid of ball! Its not just about sacks , still had 8.5 and shut down the run, gets double teamed alot , cant wait for him to loose some baby fat.    Great pick.  

Expect blowback from the "he's a run stuffer" crowd.  The truth does not matter.  They'll just move on to the next "talking point". Blah, blah, blah......

55 quarterback pressures, 8.5 sacks, 19.5 tackles for loss, just another run stuffer.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

How much better is Leo and Q on a 3/4 line than Leo and Anderson? I'd argue not the value of the 3rd overall pick better. Henry got 7 sacks last year and he is quickly dismissed. If Quinnen puts up 7 sacks in his 1st year should we be happy? 

You need to add Burns or Sweat, or both to this line.

Then add whatever compensation we got for the pick. There are some really good players still available. 

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Expect blowback from the "he's a run stuffer" crowd.  The truth does not matter.  They'll just move on to the next "talking point". Blah, blah, blah......

55 quarterback pressures, 8.5 sacks, 19.5 tackles for loss, just another run stuffer.

We bought this line of thinking every time it happened. 

It's a much tougher sell the 4th time around. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You need to add Burns or Sweat, or both to this line.

Then add whatever compensation we got for the pick. There are some really good players still available. 

My dream was trade back with Bengals or Washington and take Burns, his tape showed him using alot of different moves to beat linemen. Obviously that didn't happen and i'm trying to liken the Quinnen pick but it's tough watching so much talent fall into the 2nd round with the Jets having 0 picks in the 2nd.

54 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We bought this line of thinking every time it happened. 

It's a much tougher sell the 4th time around. 

it's true. and even i was leaning more toward allen. went " boo" when the pick came in. yes. a lower case boo.

either way we gotta root for him now. maybe our PTSD is justified. or maybe he's a the MFING MONSTER his reels seem to show him to be.  

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

it's true. and even i was leaning more toward allen. went " boo" when the pick came in. yes. a lower case boo.

either way we gotta root for him now. maybe our PTSD is justified. or maybe he's a the MFING MONSTER his reels seem to show him to be.  

Yes he does look very good but they all looked good. 

Maybe we should just rush 3. 

I'm still going to root for them and hope this super unit does something the others haven't. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Got it.  Understand it.  Don't buy it.

Accept it.  It's done. He's here.  Get over it.

This statement has been made about every single terrible Macc draft pick.  Sure lets just sit here and take it.  Let's name Macc Emperor of the Jets, with a lifetime contract. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This statement has been made about every single terrible Macc draft pick.  Sure lets just sit here and take it.  Let's name Macc Emperor of the Jets, with a lifetime contract. 

I always wonder what people think the purpose of this website is... Seems like we ought to just post the draft results and then everyone clicks like.  Anything else runs afoul if accepting it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am not surprised at the responses from a lot of the chuckleheads on this board.  I am surprised at the response, coming from you.  This is not about Mike Maccagnan.  This is about us drafting the consensus best player in the draft with the third overall pick.  It does not matter how obvious the pick was, or poster's demand/desire for the Jets to get "creative".  We are lucky to have him.

Mike Maccagnan cannot win for losing.  I get that.  It's like a  disease around here.  This is about a 21 year old, soon to be star, who is going to be used in a myriad of ways in our new defense.  I thought someone like you, who I respect, would get that. I too wanted the Jets to trade down.  It was not meant to be.  The way the draft fleshed out is proof positive that the Jets, despite their efforts to trade down, were unable to do so.  

The draft also revealed that the posters who were banging the drum for the likes of Greedy Williams, DK Metcalf, Jonah Williams, and to a lesser extent Ed Oliver and Josh Allen, over rated their prospects and value, as evidenced by the actions of the rest of the teams.  

The façade that this somehow was a terrible draft pick is a joke.  The "best player available", is what almost all teams use as a guideline in their drafting strategy.  And they should.  Only on JetNation is it a detriment and a curse to conduct business this way.  Also a joke.  However the incessant whining by most here is to somehow be construed as something else.  It is not.  It is what it is.  Whining.  Plain and simple

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I am not surprised at the responses from a lot of the chuckleheads on this board.  I am surprised at the response, coming from you.  This is not about Mike Maccagnan.  This is about us drafting the consensus best player in the draft with the third overall pick. 

And how many f**king times are we supposedly going to get the  "Top player in the draft" and not have it translate into wins?  Seriously.  Nearly every year with this garbage.

There's a reason the "consensus" top player in the draft falls to us.  Because he actually wasn't the top player, just who we were told the best player is. 

It's not whining when we've been basically the worst team in football the last 3 years, and keep doing the same cowardly stuff just about every draft.  It's reality.  And if we can't complain about it here, what do you want?  A drum circle?  @CTM

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Jamax99 said:

Think you need to qualify that....college football, on a loaded team with excellent coaching.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's a fine player but they needed to draft offense. 

It's insane to have taken another defensive player - the Jets honestly don't understand how the league works.  There is no other explanation.

Sure take an offensive player at #3 when the top 10 players (other than QB, which we have already) are defensive players?

No trade offers that any of us are aware of transpired so we went with the best player in the draft.

What else do you suggest he was to do?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how many f**king times are we supposedly going to get the  "Top player in the draft" and not have it translate into wins?  Seriously.  Nearly every year with this garbage.

There's a reason the "consensus" top player in the draft falls to us.  Because he actually wasn't the top player, just who we were told the best player is. 

It's not whining when we've been basically the worst team in football the last 3 years, and keep doing the same cowardly stuff just about every draft.  It's reality.  And if we can't complain about it here, what do you want?  A drum circle?  @CTM

Since you are relatively new to the "pity party", it's no biggie.  So, all of football lied to the poor Jets contingent to fool us into taking Quinnen Williams?  He didn't "fall".  The Cardinals took their boy.  Good for them.  The Niners took Bosa.  Good for them.  Wanted neither, to tell you the truth.

If you're mad because the Jets didn't overdraft Josh Allen, that is unfortunate.  He is indeed a one trick pony.  He'll be a pretty good pro, not exceptional.

All of you guys who decry the pick of Williams do it with tantrums instead of citing statistics to support your arguments.  Why is that?  Because there are no statistics to minimize the logistics of drafting Quinnen Williams  ahead of the "flavor of the month" pick.  At least the Oliver contingent can cite "metrics".  The rest, absent the worn out "positional need" argument is just whining.

I want nothing.  However, the incessant and redundant drone of the Jets don't have a plan, and Maccagnan is the root of all evil in this world, would be nice. That and the acknowledgement that drafting a talent the caliber of Quinnen Williams is not something to go ballistic over.

• Thumb Down 2

56 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

:-k Great feedback.

I've given my feedback many times on what Macc did wrong and what I felt he should  be doing.  Its ad nauseum and a waste of time at this point.  He has one of the 32 most important  jobs in the NFL, and this team looks like a 6-10 or 7-9 unit in year 5, after three straight seasons of going 5-11 or worse.  At some point, "what else should he have done?" becomes a really stupid question. 

We've been over it, every year.  He never should have touched Christian Hackenberg, who couldn't complete 60+ % of his throws against Indiana.  He should have taken Mahomes or Watson over Jamal Adams.  He shouldn't have doubled down with another Safety in Round 2 that year.  He shouldn't have taken a project DT in Round 3 last year.  He shouldn't have only spent 2 draft picks on offensive linemen over a 4-year period.  He needed to do better than Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart.  He needed to pay more attention to analytics and not take a guy with stiff hips like Lorenzo Mauldin.  He should have been able to trade down this year.  The list goes on, and on, and on. 

• Thumb Down 1

45 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Since you are relatively new to the "pity party", it's no biggie.  So, all of football lied to the poor Jets contingent to fool us into taking Quinnen Williams?  He didn't "fall".  The Cardinals took their boy.  Good for them.  The Niners took Bosa.  Good for them.  Wanted neither, to tell you the truth.

If you're mad because the Jets didn't overdraft Josh Allen, that is unfortunate.  He is indeed a one trick pony.  He'll be a pretty good pro, not exceptional.

All of you guys who decry the pick of Williams do it with tantrums instead of citing statistics to support your arguments.  Why is that?  Because there are no statistics to minimize the logistics of drafting Quinnen Williams  ahead of the "flavor of the month" pick.  At least the Oliver contingent can cite "metrics".  The rest, absent the worn out "positional need" argument is just whining. 

I want nothing.  However, the incessant and redundant drone of the Jets don't have a plan, and Maccagnan is the root of all evil in this world, would be nice. That and the acknowledgement that drafting a talent the caliber of Quinnen Williams is not something to go ballistic over. 

I've provided my argument for Ed Oliver or Josh Allen over Quinnen Williams in other threads.  I'm not rehashing it all here for you just so you can come back with "Well, we drafted Quinnen.  He's here now.  Get over it and stop whining!"

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's a fine player but they needed to draft offense. 

It's insane to have taken another defensive player - the Jets honestly don't understand how the league works.  There is no other explanation.

Not even bothering to lay out an argument for the exact player on offense that should have been picked.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've provided my argument for Ed Oliver or Josh Allen over Quinnen Williams in other threads.  I'm not rehashing it all here for you just so you can come back with "Well, we drafted Quinnen.  He's here now.  Get over it and stop whining!"

Wouldn't do that.  All I'd do is tell you that Quinnen Williams is a superior football player to both Josh Allen and Ed Oliver.  Butt fumble it all you want.  Doesn't change a thing.  It's the truth.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Wouldn't do that.  All I'd do is tell you that Quinnen Williams is a superior football player to both Josh Allen and Ed Oliver.  Butt fumble it all you want.  Doesn't change a thing.  It's the truth.

He'll be very good at several things, including stopping the run.  But he doesn't have much of a chance to be great.  Oliver does.  Allen probably doesn't, but at least he was a 3-4 OLB pass rusher, meaning he'd have met value with need pretty nicely. 

Quinnen is just a boring, lame pick that doesn't move the needle for the franchise. We have several very good football players.  Jamal Adams is one of those.  Leonard Williams is another.  We didn't need another very good football player.  We needed a game changer.  Or to trade down, take your pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll be very good at several things, including stopping the run.  But he doesn't have much of a chance to be great.  Oliver does.  Allen probably doesn't, but at least he was a 3-4 OLB pass rusher, meaning he'd have met value with need pretty nicely. 

Quinnen is just a boring, lame pick that doesn't move the needle for the franchise. We have several very good football players.  Jamal Adams is one of those.  Leonard Williams is another.  We didn't need another very good football player.  We needed a game changer.  Or to trade down, take your pick. 

Sorry 80, you're wrong.  He will be great, and is most definitely a game changer.  Don't understand why you can't see that.  Couldn't trade down, so we did the next best thing.  Added the best player available, the best in the draft. 

He started one year in college, and was recognized as not only the best defensive lineman in the country, but emerged as the top rated player in all of college football.  But in your estimation he doesn't have much of  a chance to be great?  OK.

• Sympathy 1