Chris Simms on Q. Williams

18 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I hate that I know this is a great player but Im still like blehhh about another DT. I'm slowly coming around to it but man it's just tough leaving the 1st round with the same amount of holes we had before the draft. Let's hope the F.O can shake some things up and get an early 2nd

Exactly how I feel. 

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Exactly how I feel. 

Think that sums up how most of us feel. I will say though if we can add Jachai Polite somehow today, that is a nasty nasty defensive front. Trying to grasp as positives here 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I think the issue is that he doesn't serve an immediate need that would upgrade the overall level of play on the team. 

It's highly unlikely you keep Leonard Williams now unless he goes out an has an otherworldly season and if he does, you've got to consider cutting Anderson. So where is the improvement?

Josh Allen would have given us something we don't already have. 

A potential Hall of Fame will absolutely elevate the play of a 4-12 team by getting pressure on the QB and making other players better. 

39 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty much mimics what you hear from the guys at PFF that watch/grads every play. Guy is the best interior d lineman to come out in a long time. 

I still would have preferred to trade down but I don't see how there are Jets fans so upset with getting this guy. 

I'm not upset with him.

Jets have 2 Leonard making 14, Anderson just signed an extension, and now have a 3rd 3-4 defensive end.   I guess you can rotate them, but it's not a good allocation of resources.   I guess it makes sense if Macc, learned, and doesn't extend Leonard in the off season to a huge deal.

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

so reaching on an average prospect with the 3rd overall pick is a better use of resources?

Drafting 6 defensive lineman in 12 years, drafting 2 others last year and trading for another is not a good use of resources.  They have no short or long term plan.  Just flying by the seat of their pants.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Think that sums up how most of us feel. I will say though if we can add Jachai Polite somehow today, that is a nasty nasty defensive front. Trying to grasp as positives here 

Another defender might cause the JN server to melt down. We already have fans ready to riot if the Jets don’t go Offense twice tonight. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Another defender might cause the JN server to melt down. We already have fans ready to riot if the Jets don’t go Offense twice tonight. 

I'd be fine with adding an edge rusher but IMO the pick can't be anything other than OL,EDGE,CB,WR. Idc who the best available player is. We have had the same 4 holes (Edge,CB,OL,WR) since Mac took over as GM. We need to start plugging holes with productive players so we can win some damn ball games

5 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'd be fine with adding an edge rusher but IMO the pick can't be anything other than OL,EDGE,CB,WR. Idc who the best available player is. We have had the same 4 holes (Edge,CB,OL,WR) since Mac took over as GM. We need to start plugging holes with productive players so we can win some damn ball games

And we could have filled the Edge spot expertly last night at 3.

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If we unload leo for a 4th or 5th this weekend, the pick makes more sense.

They're not trading Leo for a 4th or 5th. Anything less than a 2nd would be a disaster. Keep him, and you're probably looking at a comp third round pick in 2021. 

7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I hope they go offense, like most people here, but the pick could easily be CB which is another glaring need. 

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yep that’s been my gripe with the Q pick. Kids talented but leaving the 1st round with the same holes you had before the draft is bad (when you have as many holes as we do) I’m not mad at Mac for not picking OL at 3 one wasn’t really an option. But filling the Edge hole would have been a nice way to get this team more well rounded. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, David Harris said:

QW will probably be very good and we'll be happy to have him but I'm bored AF drafting this position over and over again and none of it has ever made a lick of difference b/t Mo, Sheldon, Coples, Leo.  I'm unhappy that we are just replacing yet again another pretty good DL with a first round pick.  Just cycling over and over while O-Line languishes. 

Sure I think QW is the best pick here but it's hard to get excited.

As criticisms of the pick go, this is one of the best.   Acknowledge the talent, express discontent with the fit and history.  The prospect is great but the context opens things up to a lack of enthusiasm.  

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

It is just a terrible use of resources and shows again that they have no plan.

It's actually very clear what their plan is on defense.  Whether you or I or anyone else think it's a good plan is debatable.   The last few drafts and off-seasons clearly show they want to be solid "inside" at all 3 levels of the defense.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

It's actually very clear what their plan is on defense.  Whether you or I or anyone else think it's a good plan is debatable.   The last few drafts and off-seasons clearly show they want to be solid "inside" at all 3 levels of the defense.

I really doubt that they have any plan at all.  

49 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

They gave us glowing remarks for Mo, Sheldon and Leo too. With very similar remarks.

They were/are all very good players. We seen why they were hyped but the impact they could make overall was minimal. Mo was the best of them before he got paid and quit but even he never really pushed the defence over the edge. When we had all three we were still a garbage team.

People here are criticising the pick rather than the player. 

Want some cheese with your whine?

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I can't completely hate on this pick because I liked Oliver over the EDGE guys that high. My problem with the pick is that it feels like another Mac Special Highest Floor pick where Oliver feels like he has the higher ceiling. That said, I'm on board with the argument that interior pass rush is probably more important in today's game than EDGE, and especially in a division with Tom Brady, who lets go of the ball faster than almost any EDGE could get to him. 

The pick is in. My hope now is that they line the Williamses up next to each other, and they wreak havoc. The middle of the dee should be a rock now with them and Mosley/Williamson/Adams behind them. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

They're not trading Leo for a 4th or 5th. Anything less than a 2nd would be a disaster. Keep him, and you're probably looking at a comp third round pick in 2021. 

I hope they go offense, like most people here, but the pick could easily be CB which is another glaring need. 

It feels like the talent will be at WR and CB in the early third.  There seem to be a lot of players in that range.  An OL might slip, maybe Cajuste or McCoy which would also be nice.  We'll get a good prospect but it will only fill one hole.  Still a lot more work to do.

BTW, there were a few people who wanted to talk Greedy Williams at 3.  He's still on the board.  Same with Metcalf.  

I'm surprised guys like Byron Murphy, Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford slipped.  Damn I wish we had our 2nd rounder now.  Those are all solid options we could have really used.

Just now, Ghost said:

Honestly, they said the same sh*t about all the other DTs we drafted. I’m not buying any of this sh*t until I see him produce on the field. Does he have ridiculous potential? Of course, but so does everyone else in the 1st round. 

Jets got the best player in the draft two years in a row

Sorry

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Exactly.  # 1 WR is the most overrated asset in football

This is the biggest conflict to me.  I agree.  You're better off being able to spread the ball around, then having a clear cut go to guy.  Yet, if a Calvin Johnson type were in last night's draft, you bet I'd have been screaming for him.

• Upvote 1

i am a huge Simms guy, i think he has great insights...my fav (may be diff video) is when he says that he had to check his tv several times while watching QW tape to see if he is watching a highlight reel by accident vs game tape.

Macc said the same thing in his presser. He went to the tape guys at some point to ask them if they gave him 'tackles only" as opposed to game tape.

come september...we hunt

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is the biggest conflict to me.  I agree.  You're better off being able to spread the ball around, then having a clear cut go to guy.  Yet, if a Calvin Johnson type were in last night's draft, you bet I'd have been screaming for him.

Me too For sure.  If nothing more than the sake of something new and shiny.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

i am a huge Simms guy, i think he has great insights...my fav (may be diff video) is when he says that he had to check his tv several times while watching QW tape to see if he is watching a highlight reel by accident vs game tape.

Macc said the same thing in his presser. He went to the tape guys at some point to ask them if they gave him 'tackles only" as opposed to game tape.

come september...we hunt

I think we’re in weird territory for jets fans the media has had nothing but good things to say about our draft so far

Usually the jets are a laughing stock