Jets GM Mike Maccagnan reportedly on 'hot seat internally'

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is reportedly on the "hot seat internally" after Day 1 of the NFL Draft, according to The Athletic's Michael Lombardi.

Maccagnan, who kept his job after the 2018 season ended while Todd Bowles and his coaching staff were casualties, has been New York's general manager since 2015 but has missed the playoffs in all four seasons.

"Many in the league expect changes in the Jets' front office after the draft," Lombardi wrote.

After the Jets nearly cleaned house after a 4-12 season, Maccagnan has had a busy offseason. He replaced Bowles with Adam Gase as head coach and added Gregg Williams and Dowell Loggains as the defensive coordinators.

In free agency, Maccagnan signed running back Le'Veon Bell, wide receiver Jamison Crowder and linebacker C.J. Mosley. And Thursday, though the Jets sought to trade out of the No. 3 spot, he drafted defensive lineman Quinnen Williams.

The Jets went 10-6 in 2015, the first season with Maccagnan and Bowles at the helm. But they have gone 14-34 over the past three seasons, finishing no better than 5-11. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is reportedly on the "hot seat internally" after Day 1 of the NFL Draft, according to The Athletic's Michael Lombardi.

Maccagnan, who kept his job after the 2018 season ended while Todd Bowles and his coaching staff were casualties, has been New York's general manager since 2015 but has missed the playoffs in all four seasons.

"Many in the league expect changes in the Jets' front office after the draft," Lombardi wrote.

After the Jets nearly cleaned house after a 4-12 season, Maccagnan has had a busy offseason. He replaced Bowles with Adam Gase as head coach and added Gregg Williams and Dowell Loggains as the defensive coordinators.

In free agency, Maccagnan signed running back Le'Veon Bell, wide receiver Jamison Crowder and linebacker C.J. Mosley. And Thursday, though the Jets sought to trade out of the No. 3 spot, he drafted defensive lineman Quinnen Williams.

The Jets went 10-6 in 2015, the first season with Maccagnan and Bowles at the helm. But they have gone 14-34 over the past three seasons, finishing no better than 5-11. 

I stopped reading after it said that he replaced Bowles. Macc doesn't hire or fire coaches. 

• Upvote 1

Although I would be ecstatic with a Mac firing, to do it AFTER the draft would be so Jetsian AND it would mean the the Jets would reclaim the "chaotic organization with no direction" crown away from the Giants who have been doing that crown proud as of late.   

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Although I would be ecstatic with a Mac firing, to do it AFTER the draft would be so Jetsian AND it would mean the the Jets would reclaim the "chaotic organization with no direction" crown away from the Giants who have been doing that crown proud as of late.   

Yeah, timing of this makes no sense...even for the Jets. 

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why? Because he picked arguably the best DL prospect (who some compare to Reggie White btw) to come around in years? Oh yes, I sure am glad we let the dumbass fool run our draft so we can fire him afterwards LOL

Does anyone else see how utterly STUPID this is?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Damn I wish

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah, Tony Pauline and Michael Lombardi are the Nathan Shepherd and Foley Fatukasi of NFL writers.

You’re being kind

Shepherd might actually end up having an nfl career

Pauline and Lombardi are the Devin Smith and Ardarius Stewart of z-list pretend scout podcasters

As much as I want Mac fired its not the right time. You have to give him this season - let it play out and see how we do. Mac - other than trading from 6 to 3 and getting lucky to get Darnold just seems like a do what's in front of you kind of a guy. No thinking outside the box. He just goes with the flow - follows the crowd. Thats how you become part of the crowd. Well he's part of the no playoffs crowd and as long as his decisions remain non controversial and blah this team will remain mediocre at best. All that being said I do have hope for this upcoming season. Maybe some of his moves turn out to be better than blah. I really hope so. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

This. I don't think the report is true, and I would also be ecstatic with Mac being fired, but it would be the most Jetsy move to fire a GM after the draft, not letting the new GM have his first draft.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Baby dinger?

why after the draft?

Can’t make a change before. Like changing docs in middle of surgery when the new 1 hasn’t had time to prep. I would assume Johnson’s are clear about Gase’s Concerns about OLine. And know mac has been a guy yr in yr out who does not care much about OL. Johnson’s May realize they have to bring in another guy who will do whatever it takes to protect the jets by far prized possession behind center. If we can still find a center?

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why does anyone listen to anything that idiot says about anything ever?

He reports phony rumors that he knows, will get people talking. He reads this boardm and knows what buttons to push. An attention grabber.