Jets GM Mike Maccagnan reportedly on 'hot seat internally'

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is reportedly on the "hot seat internally" after Day 1 of the NFL Draft, according to The Athletic's Michael Lombardi.

Maccagnan, who kept his job after the 2018 season ended while Todd Bowles and his coaching staff were casualties, has been New York's general manager since 2015 but has missed the playoffs in all four seasons.

"Many in the league expect changes in the Jets' front office after the draft," Lombardi wrote.

After the Jets nearly cleaned house after a 4-12 season, Maccagnan has had a busy offseason. He replaced Bowles with Adam Gase as head coach and added Gregg Williams and Dowell Loggains as the defensive coordinators.

In free agency, Maccagnan signed running back Le'Veon Bell, wide receiver Jamison Crowder and linebacker C.J. Mosley. And Thursday, though the Jets sought to trade out of the No. 3 spot, he drafted defensive lineman Quinnen Williams.

The Jets went 10-6 in 2015, the first season with Maccagnan and Bowles at the helm. But they have gone 14-34 over the past three seasons, finishing no better than 5-11. 

I find this extraordinarily doubtful, but I hope it to be true.  That also has little-to-nothing to do with the Quinnen selection, as I've long been adamant that Mac being retained when Bowles was fired was a totally unforgivable decision.

I can't imagine any of this is true though, at least in terms of changes happening after the draft (with the only possible exception of the scouts), because what reason would they have for handling things like this now?  Unless they want to give the job to Heimerdinger, but didn't think he was yet ready to have full control of the draft himself?  That seems totally questionable for a long list of reasons, but I simply can't imagine what else they would be doing to fill GM right now.

Otherwise, they let every other team needing a new GM get their first stab at it, and only go after the leftovers after giving the guy they are ready to fire yet another draft to screw up.  As much as I want Maccagnan gone, this story really doesn't make much sense.  At most, I'd take it to mean they're willing to move on from him after this season, which of course if they already feel that way now, begs the question why they didn't do it months ago.  So very strange.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I find this extraordinarily doubtful, but I hope it to be true.  That also has little-to-nothing to do with the Quinnen selection, as I've long been adamant that Mac being retained when Bowles was fired was a totally unforgivable decision.

I can't imagine any of this is true though, at least in terms of changes happening after the draft (with the only possible exception of the scouts), because what reason would they have for handling things like this now?  Unless they want to give the job to Heimerdinger, but didn't think he was yet ready to have full control of the draft himself?  That seems totally questionable for a long list of reasons, but I simply can't imagine what else they would be doing to fill GM right now.

Otherwise, they let every other team needing a new GM get their first stab at it, and only go after the leftovers after giving the guy they are ready to fire yet another draft to screw up.  As much as I want Maccagnan gone, this story really doesn't make much sense.  At most, I'd take it to mean they're willing to move on from him after this season, which of course if they already feel that way now, begs the question why they didn't do it months ago.  So very strange.

A lot of people love Heimerdinger in the Jets organization. I wouldn't be shocked if he took over and kept the job while Gase is HC. I'm pretty sure they would rather do that then bring in an outside guy who may want his own HC.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

9792107B-BC5F-4EB2-8CD8-FA0A1C92FD00.png

I can’t think of a reason to trust Manish any more than I would trust Incarcerated Bob. (No offense to IB, who I trust more)

To Manish, “big news”  is saying that Jamal Adams is friendly with Michael Jordan.  

Whats funny about this entire thing is all the clowns who hate just about every living thing are all on board with this "fake News" because it fits their narrative of Macc Hatred. They bash just about every single word that comes out of these guys mouths (beat writers /sports Journalists) but since its Macc well now thats Okay . Hilarious.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Whats funny about this entire thing is all the clowns who hate just about every living thing are all on board with this "fake News" because it fits their narrative of Macc Hatred. They bash just about every single word that comes out of these guys mouths (beat writers /sports Journalists) but since its Macc well now thats Okay . Hilarious.

So didn't read the thread at all, huh?  Because nearly everyone, despite the great levels of hatred for Mac, has pointed to the severely questionable nature of this report.  It takes a special level of apologist to get all judgy when no one is even making the point you're in a great rush to argue against.

• Upvote 1

If this is true, the Jets org structure and ownership is even dumber and worse than I think they are. Mac and Bowles clearly should have been gone last year, it was idiotic to allow those two morons to return last year. They did.

It was idiotic to retain Mac while firing Bowles, UNLESS, the org structure truly gave Bowles more personnel control than we think, and most of the draft picks and FA signings were Bowles call. 

If they just retained Mac, without Bowles being the real problem, and they let him have input into the coach, handle FA, handle the draft, and then fire him, I honestly may give up on this team because it will mean that ownership is so incredibly inept that a couple of humping squirrels could run the team better with their eyes closed.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

A lot of people love Heimerdinger in the Jets organization. I wouldn't be shocked if he took over and kept the job while Gase is HC. I'm pretty sure they would rather do that then bring in an outside guy who may want his own HC.

Still doesn't make sense to happen now though.  If they felt that strongly about it, the move could have been made months ago.  If they thought he wasn't cut out to handle the draft, why would they suddenly feel differently in a few days from now?

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Still doesn't make sense to happen now though.  If they felt that strongly about it, the move could have been made months ago.  If they thought he wasn't cut out to handle the draft, why would they suddenly feel differently in a few days from now?

I think everyone in the organization, including the owner, thought Macc would focus more on protecting Darnold this offseason and he hasn't. Christopher Johnson said in a press conference before free agency that the #1 goal this offseason was to protect Darnold and surround him with talent. Macc failed to live up to that expectation. 

I think Macc failing to trade down when there probably was a reasonable offer on the table was the final straw. Now the Jets find themselves in a situation where they need to be aggressive and move up to get an offensive lineman or stay put and pray. And honestly the Jets needed to come out of this draft with 2 starting caliber lineman and they'll be lucky to get 1.

As far as why now. I think Macc got the benefit of the doubt that he would do the right thing in the draft and he failed. So that's why I think it's coming out now.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Would be a great move - getting rid of Mac as soon as possible makes the most sense for this team.

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Why are you defending Mac?  He's never been to the playoffs.  He's 14-34 in his last 3 years.  His drafts are terrible.  And this is the guy you want to defend?  

I can't stand the incompetence anymore.  I would lose my mind also if I worked for the Jets.  Get rid of this guy.  I buy this completely.  

BTW - Manish is a Mac shrill.  

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

Best thing to happen to the organization in years but why not last year? The damage is already done this guy already screwed the draft by not trading back several teams wanted to move up but Mac want a massive  pay out so much talent like Greedy Williams still available you think Mac will go after it? Probably  not if they want to salvage the rest of this draft fire him before 7pm tonight before he can do anymore damage.

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ah. Nice. Good context, and encouraging. I'd pay money to see Kim Jones interview Adam Gase today

55 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Redskins said they would have traded up if a team was bailing out. Which means if the other team would have taken a lot less. A lot less in that scenario is probably a 2nd and late 3rd this year and a 3rd next year. The Jets should have taken that all day. 

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lord hear our prayer

41 minutes ago, choon328 said:

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shouldn’t it be universally accepted good news that Maccagnan is at least potentially facing some accountability for his record?

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The fact that people are defending Macc is amazing to me

19 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

So didn't read the thread at all, huh?  Because nearly everyone, despite the great levels of hatred for Mac, has pointed to the severely questionable nature of this report.  It takes a special level of apologist to get all judgy when no one is even making the point you're in a great rush to argue against.

I read the thread and another thread on the subject and I really don't have any desire to argue the point BG I saw you're point but I was not pointing at you at all but deep down I know you hope its true

36 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I read the thread and another thread on the subject and I really don't have any desire to argue the point BG I saw you're point but I was not pointing at you at all but deep down I know you hope its true

Believing Maccagnan is an incompetent idiot who deserves to be fired is not equivalent to anyone suggesting this random report that he's going to be fired any day now is valid, which was your false accusation.  None of those posts you quoted in any way support your claim.

• Upvote 1

Paradis was NEVER COMING HERE

PLEASE STOP

players fought hard for free agency’s so they could have some control of their careers 

when they hit free agency some guys just want cash, some want to go to a winning program, some want lifestyle 

paradis is a country boy who made a lifestyle decision 

• Upvote 2

Just throwing it out there........

MAC SUCKS

This season is a referendum on Mac. I do not believe he's going to be canned after the draft. That makes no sense. However, he is very much in the hot seat. He's also not doing himself any favors. Last night may have sealed his fate? Unless Williams does in fact turn out to be Aaron Donald, I think his goose is cooked. He just wasted a very high draft pick and in turn lost out on all of the talent that's there in the second round. Meanwhile, this team still has needs everywhere. Sam Darnold has no reason to feel safe behind the Jets makeshift OL. TE, TACKLE, CENTER, WR??? Am I missing anythiUnless Unless Mac can miraculously manage to get a 3rd rounder for Darron Lee and do some serious damage with players that contribute from DAY ONE, this team will win somewhere around 7 games and it simply will not be enough to save his job. Quite frankly that might make me happy because I'm tired of his BS.

45 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Believing Maccagnan is an incompetent idiot who deserves to be fired is not equivalent to anyone suggesting this random report that he's going to be fired any day now is valid, which was your false accusation.  None of those posts you quoted in any way support your claim.

You're Right, I should have worded it differently. It's not the sense they believe the report, because I didn't feel they did believe the report, it's just another outlet for haters to get their digs in, which they do constantly.

I know full well Macc could have done a lot better job in some instances namely the draft itself but I still contend Bowles played a big part in what we have done in the past it seemed so obvious with his reactions in the draft room. I was willing to give Macc one more chance to finish what he called a rebuild 2 years ago, not the years before when it was obvious this organization still felt they had the players to give it one more go by adding vets to try and contend. It's a feeling and I could very well be wrong but the last 2 drafts basically got us our captain on offense (franchise QB with a very good trade up) and defense and the additions of Mosley Bell and Crowder were pretty damn good as well. If we do look at this team from the 2 year rebuild position Macc has started to do a pretty decent job a Job a good percentage of GM's fail at , at an alarming rate. Even GM's that had a pretty good run for a few years eventually sh*t the bed maybe Macc who was obviously a guy we wanted to "learn on the job" if finally starting to get it. I take this stance not from Macc's track record in the office but by the total incompetence of our former HC which seemed just as obvious as some claim Macc's failures to be.

So if we are talking bottom line and wins/losses will the Macc haters give him any credit on what would be the third year in his proclaimed rebuild if we make the playoffs and have a good draft this year ?

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Michael Lombardi is a Belichick hobknobber who hates the Jets organization because BB does. He should have had the piggy part in deliverance with Belichick playing the role of the West Virginia Hillbilly.

There's a lot of truth in those words 

2 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

Imagine being so incompetent as an organization that you fire your G.M. AFTER the draft and AFTER hes f**ked your team's future by drafting safe picks in a futile attempt to save his own job? Just imagine.

Not to mention the $100m cap space spending spree.

IF this is true, why the hell do you wait until after the draft?! We've decided we are going to fire someone because we know he is incompetent at his job, but we are going to give him control over a 100mil bank account and 3rd overall pick before showing him the door. 

WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS?!?!?!

I didn't pay any attention to this 2 weeks ago, but this little tidbit of information dropped back on April 14th:

There has been a "Tug of war" behind the scenes over the Football operations between The Coaching staff and the Front Office. Mike Maccagnan and His. Scouts, Analytics people are trying to tell Gase and Williams "How to coach" and use players, they have even gone further to tell them "How they should be drafting". It's a big push back by both, who will NOT tolerate the upstairs execs telling them how to run their playbooks or who plays and who doesn't play. They are not going to be coaching by "numbers" but by Strengths and Weaknesses and Xs, Os. Christopher Johnson has had to "Sit in" on a few draft meetings to be able to be a "Defacto Mediator" to try to broker a compromise to both sides. One side likes One set of players the other doesn't. Gregg Williams won't call games "In a boxed atmosphere" on Defense he's going to make the decisions with the Coaches on what plays and who plays where. They also are trying to tell Gase how to use Darnold, but Gase is saying you hired me to help him, how can I help when you are telling the Teacher what his lesson plan to his student should be? This is "His call" and nobody elses. It's not as vicious as it sounds, but they are in deep disagreements of players, and Apparently...they are "Scratching their heads" on some players Maccagnan already has on the roster, source says. Hopefully they will bridge the gap here.

I bet it was Gregg Williams that leaked to media.  He's know to whistleblow sh*t behind the scenes when he was with both the Rams and Saints.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I didn't pay any attention to this 2 weeks ago, but this little tidbit of information dropped back on April 14th:

I bet it was Gregg Williams that leaked to media.  He's know to whistleblow sh*t behind the scenes when he was with both the Rams and Saints.

Wow. Of course all of this falls on the Johnsons who refuse to ever take a "full measure" in Breaking Bad terms. Bowles and Mac both should have been fired. Then a Director of Football Operations who would hire a GM and that group then hires a head coach that reports to the GM.  But whatever.

The most important person in the building is Darnold. If it is perceived that Mac does not share that sentiment he is gone. Johnson said they had a very specific plan to build around Darnold and McCoffee is not doing that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Paradis was NEVER COMING HERE

PLEASE STOP

players fought hard for free agency’s so they could have some control of their careers 

when they hit free agency some guys just want cash, some want to go to a winning program, some want lifestyle 

paradis is a country boy who made a lifestyle decision 

Well since the Jets never even offered him a contract we'll never know if he would've came here. It's not like he spent the first day of free agency in NY with one of the most recognizable Jets fans. Who then tweeted out, "It takes two to tango", referring to Jets.