Gase Forcing Macc Out

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Interesting. Macc on the Michael Kay show said that last year they were up at 3 and he said that we were positioned to take "One of the top two QBs" and he said it in an offhand manner

That confirms my belief to me that he knew the Giants were taking Barkley.

Also he said that he was surprised Cleveland went with Mayfield

There it is.  What we essentially all suspected.  The Jets were "all in" on Darnold and Mayfield.  And while I still think they had Darnold slightly higher I believe Macc thought Darnold was going to Cleveland.  He expected to get Mayfield.

Macc may be a bit of a boob but these GMs do seem to know what's going on.  It's like Gettleman right now taking tons of heat (and deservedly so) for the Daniel Jones pick.  When he says he "knows that two other teams before the 17th pick would have taken Jones," I think that's 99% likely.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Interesting. Macc on the Michael Kay show said that last year they were up at 3 and he said that we were positioned to take "One of the top two QBs" and he said it in an offhand manner

That confirms my belief to me that he knew the Giants were taking Barkley.

Also he said that he was surprised Cleveland went with Mayfield

So he verbally confirmed he had no idea Cleveland was going Mayfield and that leads you to conclude he knew exactly what Gettleman was doing weeks before the draft?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

So he verbally confirmed he had no idea Cleveland was going Mayfield and that leads you to conclude he knew exactly what Gettleman was doing weeks before the draft?

It confirms my belief that raw homers will throw their bodies in front of anyone on the Jets payroll if Manish Mehta tells them to. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's like Gettleman right now taking tons of heat (and deservedly so) for the Daniel Jones pick.  When he says he "knows that two other teams before the 17th pick would have taken Jones," I think that's 99% likely.

Its 100% likely hes saying that to cover his ass and you can likely safely replace "knows" with "feared"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Oh look - I made the the forum funny boy crack . And btw  there are meds for Tourettes . 

“HAHA Dr. Tom said we should try to cure my cancer but I’m still dying a slow death. I’m the huge winner here!” —You, the sh*tbird turdboy gimp

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CTM said:

Its 100% likely hes saying that to cover his ass and you can likely safely replace "knows" with "feared"

Possibly.  But I'll Game Theory this out a bit.  If he was really fearful about projections or anything else he could have easily done the safe thing, taken Josh Allen at #6 and just sat back to see if any of the Top 3 QBs fell to him.  He could have decided whether or not to pull the trigger on Haskins or somebody if say Jones was taken by the Redskins.  He could also have skipped QB at both 6 and 17, and then used their pick at the top of Round 2 for the 4th or 5th QB or made the move for Josh Rosen.

The one thing I'll give Gettleman credit for is that he has conviction about his guys.  Jones could suck or become a 15 year starter for the Giants.  I honestly have no idea.  But if Gettleman simply wanted to check the box and make fans happy he could have gone Edge - Josh Allen at 6 and LT - Andre Dillard (or WR) at 16, then played for a lower tier QB or Rosen.  There are certainly mixed opinions on Rosen but many Giants fans I know would have been thrilled with something like what I outlined here....getting two starters and then using a 2nd rounder for a guy who went #10 last year.

22 minutes ago, CTM said:

Just because he didn't know which QB the Browns were taking has no bearing on whether or not he knew Gettleman was taking Barkley.

The 2 aren't mutually exclusive 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King P said:

Just because he didn't know which QB the Browns were taking has no bearing on whether or not he knew Gettleman was taking Barkley.

Bingo.  That's my point.  I think Macc knew he was getting one of those two, just didn't know which one but was comfortable with either one of them at #3.  It was the knowledge of the Giants taking Barkley that made the magic happen.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CTM said:

Well, being a fellow idiot extraordinaire, Macc had a pretty good vision for what Gettleman would do. Almost like they have some kind of brain-dead moron telekinetic link.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Possibly.  But I'll Game Theory this out a bit.  If he was really fearful about projections or anything else he could have easily done the safe thing, taken Josh Allen at #6 and just sat back to see if any of the Top 3 QBs fell to him.  He could have decided whether or not to pull the trigger on Haskins or somebody if say Jones was taken by the Redskins.  He could also have skipped QB at both 6 and 17, and then used their pick at the top of Round 2 for the 4th or 5th QB or made the move for Josh Rosen.

The one thing I'll give Gettleman credit for is that he has conviction about his guys.  Jones could suck or become a 15 year starter for the Giants.  I honestly have no idea.  But if Gettleman simply wanted to check the box and make fans happy he could have gone Edge - Josh Allen at 6 and LT - Andre Dillard (or WR) at 16, then played for a lower tier QB or Rosen.  There are certainly mixed opinions on Rosen but many Giants fans I know would have been thrilled with something like what I outlined here....getting two starters and then using a 2nd rounder for a guy who went #10 last year.

Huh? He clearly wanted Jones. He also was clearly nervous someone would take him before 17. 

The only thing I'm saying is that hes twisted that a bit to suggest he "knew" 2 other teams wouldve taken Jones. I don't buy it.

Clearly the prevailing narrative is that he should've taken Allen at 6 and Jones at 17, dispelling that as a possibility takea his balls out of the vice a bit

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Well, being a fellow idiot extraordinaire, Macc had a pretty good vision for what Gettleman would do. Almost like they have some kind of brain-dead moron telekinetic link.

Jets fan: HAHA DAVE GETTLEMAN IS THE WORST GM EVER LOLGIANTS

Also Jets fan: How can you even think about firing Maccagnan? He outfoxed Dave Gettleman that one time.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

Huh? He clearly wanted Jones. He also was clearly nervous someone would take him before 17. 

The only thing I'm saying is that hes twisted that a bit to suggest he "knew" 2 other teams wouldve taken Jones. I don't buy it.

Clearly the prevailing narrative is that he should've taken Allen at 6 and Jones at 17, dispelling that as a possibility takea his balls out of the vice a bit

Maybe he thought that Macc was trying to trade back down to grab Jones?

That mental-link goes both ways, y'know.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, King P said:

Of course it's not mutually exclusive but its related, and the interpretation is conveniently pro Mac by a noted pro Mac guy. Whofans decided it "confirmed" Mac knew the giants werent taking a QB (weeks prior to draft) despite Mac never saying that explicitely. But what he did explicitely say was that he was surprised the Browns took Mayfield that night.

The idea that anyone thinks he exactly knew what Gettleman was doing weeks out but had no clue what Dorsey was doing night of is far fetched.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo.  That's my point.  I think Macc knew he was getting one of those two, just didn't know which one but was comfortable with either one of them at #3.  It was the knowledge of the Giants taking Barkley that made the magic happen.

Ok, so it was widely reported that the initial outline of the trade was put together during the scouting combine which was the end of Feb. The trade was consummated on 3/17/18, almost 6 weeks prior to the 4/26 draft.

For your version of events to be true, the same guy who was "surprised" by the Mayfield pick on draft night, somehow knew 2 months in advance that Gettleman was taking Barkley and he'd for sure have 1 of Darnold/Mayfield available to him.

• Despite the fact that Barkley's pro day was 3/19, 2 days after the trade was official
  • Despite the fact that the Giants didn't host Barkley for a private workout until 3/27, 10 days after the trade was official

Sounds extremely likely. Hard to believe that such a prescient Gm has an extensive track record of incompetence.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There it is.  What we essentially all suspected.  The Jets were "all in" on Darnold and Mayfield.  And while I still think they had Darnold slightly higher I believe Macc thought Darnold was going to Cleveland.  He expected to get Mayfield.

Macc may be a bit of a boob but these GMs do seem to know what's going on.  It's like Gettleman right now taking tons of heat (and deservedly so) for the Daniel Jones pick.  When he says he "knows that two other teams before the 17th pick would have taken Jones," I think that's 99% likely.

Hmm. Not sure about that.

Jacksonville (picking 7th) signed Nick Foles in free agency. They weren't going to draft Jones.

Detroit (picking 8th) has Matthew Stafford as their starter. They weren't going to draft Jones.

Buffalo (picking 9th) has Josh Allen as its starter. They weren't going to draft Jones.

Denver (picking 10th) wasn't going to draft Jones - Elway was all-in with Lock.

Cincinnati (picking 11th) could have drafted Jones, but Dalton is under contract for this season and next at a reasonable salary ($16 million this year and $17.5 million next year). Conceivably the Bengals could have drafted Jones and had him sit behind Dalton for a year, but the Bengals had bigger needs elsewhere, even though Dalton is a league average QB at best

Green Bay (picking 12th) absolutely weren't going to select Jones.

Miami (picking 13th) possibly could have selected Jones but as soon as the Cardinals selected Murray, they were discussing a trade for Rosen. Unlikely they would spend a first round pick on Jones if they could land a 2018 first round quarterback for pennies on the dollar.

Atlanta (picking 14th) weren't going to select Jones.

Washington (picking 15th) might have selected Jones, but I have the sense they always preferred Haskins over Jones, so I would say it's no more than 50/50.

Carolina (picking 16th) did end up selecting a quarterback later in the draft, but only as a long-term insurance policy for Cam. The Panthers had too many needs to spend a first round pick on Jones.

In conclusion, Gettleman is full of sh*t.

• Upvote 1

Gase hasn’t earned the right to change the toilet paper in the rest room. He isn’t pushing anyone out.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Did Johnson give the guy who skipped the draft because he didn’t want Le’Veon bell his way yet?

i mean have any of you guys said that out loud?

lol

I have my issues with Mac- I think we all do.  Still, hearing Gase didn't want Bell makes me really skeptical of Gase. Who the hell doesn't want Bell?

As for a HC wanting to control the roster, I get it, but you gotta earn that.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Sure he did :rolleyes:.  That's why Heimerdinger told him "you have a horseshoe up your ass" after the Giants took Barkley, right?

That Heimerdinger comment proves to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that Maccagnan didn't know sh!t about what Gettleman was going to do.  I understand that everyone wants the GM to be shrewd, and to have foresight.  But this concept is presently nothing more than a wish.   Maybe the next one we get down the road will have those attributes.  For the time being, we have a doofus, who rolled the dice a year ago and won. But if anyone thinks it was more than a mere roll of the dice, you have vivid imaginations.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sure he did :rolleyes:.  That's why Heimerdinger told him "you have a horseshoe up your ass" after the Giants took Barkley, right?

That Heimerdinger comment proves to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that Maccagnan didn't know sh!t about what Gettleman was going to do.  I understand that everyone wants the GM to be shrewd, and to have foresight.  But this concept is presently nothing more than a wish.   Maybe the next one we get down the road will have those attributes.  For the time being, we have a doofus, who rolled the dice a year ago and won. But if anyone thinks it was more than a mere roll of the dice, you have vivid imaginations.

100%. Its clear based on the timeline but I forgot about the horseshoe comment which makes it unequivocal 

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think everyone suspected the Giants were taking Barkley for a very long time. They were also assuming that Darnold was going #1 to Cleveland.

The Jets, suspecting that Darnold was going #1 and fairly sure that Barkley was going #2, traded up to 3 to assure themselves of the other QB they liked - Mayfield.

The Giants were never a threat to take Mayfield.  But, once Cleveland picked Baker #1, it reset things a bit.  I don't think anyone expected Darnold to be there at #2, and he was far more of a fit for the Giants than Mayfield was. That probably made the Jets nervous.

In the end, the Giants stuck with their plan to pick Barkley and passed up on the unexpected chance to pick Darnold - which could explain Heimerdinger's "horseshoe" comment.

• Upvote 2