Gase Forcing Macc Out

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“We keep Adam under a tarp and only ask him to reveal himself on game days.” 

"And we are also going to oblige with the league's request to put big googly eyes on his face so we don't scare away our female audience."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

When they do things right, like drafting Darnold, they will get praised from the fans. 

We drafted Darnold.  It's done.  Start the praising!

Nope, not here, some still can't enjoy the best trade we ever made, because of some urge to criticize 100% of Macc's moves.

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And had we tanked properly instead of d*cking around with Josh McCown, we could have saved all three of those 2nd round draft picks.

Such a waste of resources under this front office.

Yep. Or just play hackenberg and Bryce. Just to kick the tires on “ your own picks “ to see if either could be a number 2 in the future. But Mac never had any balls, and some homers on here still brag about those extra 2-4 wins McCown won us ??.. imagine if McCown doesn’t get hurt ? Colts really wanted Nelson, had we won another game or 2, they likely are not trading with us out of fear on missing Nelson. Or very least, we would have been giving up this yr 3rd overall as well.. 

• Upvote 1

This is how most of us will tell our great grandchildren about this trade. 

Once upon a time, our GM Macc, traded a useless player named Sheldon for a second round draft pick.  Then, while all the other GM's were sleeping, Macc traded that pick and some other second rounders for the number 3 pick in the entire draft!  He didn't even have to give our next year's number one, who by the way, turned out to be Hall of Famer- Quinnen.  Then, with all the other GM's in awe, Macc drafted our favorite player - Super Sam.  And that, is how the Grandpop's Jets finally won their second Super Bowl.  The end.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

We drafted Darnold.  It's done.  Start the praising!

Nope, not here, some still can't enjoy the best trade we ever made, because of some urge to criticize 100% of Macc's moves.

Mac did, in fact, try very hard to give over $100mm to Kirk Cousins.  

Yes, he got Darnold and I haven't heard one-single person complain about Sam Darnold.  

But there's no hiding - if it was up to Mac we would have a tight salary cap and a mediocre QB in his 30's.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Once upon a time, our GM Macc, traded a useless player named Sheldon for a second round draft pick.  Then, while all the other GM's were sleeping, Macc traded that pick and some other second rounders for the number 3 pick in the draft!  He didn't even have to give our next year's number one, who by the way turned out to be Hall of Famer- Quinnen.  Then, with all the other GM's in awe, Macc drafted our favorite player - Super Sam.  And that, is how the Grandpop's Jets finally won their second Super Bowl.  The end.

“Where are Grandpa’s meds? He’s imagining Jets Superbowls again.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, ECURB said:

Since 2015... 28 picks (excluding 2019)

64% are still on the team and 32% are starters.

Starters (9) 32%

Sam Darnold

Chris Herndon

Jamal Adams

Marcus Maye

Darron Lee

Jordan Jenkins

Brandon Shell

Lac Edwards

LeonardWilliams

Role Players and still on team (9) 32%

Nathan Shepherd

Perry Nickerson

Trenton Cannon

Jordan Leggett

Derrick Jones

Elijah Mcgurie

Charone Peake

Foley Fatukasi

Jeremy Clark

And what’s our record during that time?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Pretty unreasonable to expect or even hope for that kind of season. 

Begs an interesting question: what’s the worst possible season out of Darnold they doesn’t kill hope for the future. Maybe.... dare I say... something like Fitz’s first year here?

On 4/29/2019 at 6:58 PM, jetstream23 said:

There it is.  What we essentially all suspected.  The Jets were "all in" on Darnold and Mayfield.  And while I still think they had Darnold slightly higher I believe Macc thought Darnold was going to Cleveland.  He expected to get Mayfield.

Macc may be a bit of a boob but these GMs do seem to know what's going on.  It's like Gettleman right now taking tons of heat (and deservedly so) for the Daniel Jones pick.  When he says he "knows that two other teams before the 17th pick would have taken Jones," I think that's 99% likely.

Who’s to say Mac’s top 2 was the same as CLE’s or yours? The only thing this proves is that Darnold was one of the top 2.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Begs an interesting question: what’s the worst possible season out of Darnold they doesn’t kill hope for the future. Maybe.... dare I say... something like Fitz’s first year here?

Pretty spot on...stats aside, games won where Darnold was the main or a a clutch factor at the end holds much greater value than TD-INT Ratios.

If Darnold throws 35 TD’s, but 25 picks, it’ll look a lot better if we’re 10-6 and Darnold had 3 game winning drives. 

Stats are so don’t tell the whole story. Too many opportunities for padded stats. If Darnold is 45 td’s to 12 picks, but we’re 4-12 and barely had a lead in games, then its meaningless.

Yes, the chances are slim that he would be 45 to 12 and we’d only be 4-12, just saying.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Pretty spot on...stats aside, games won where Darnold was the main or a a clutch factor at the end holds much greater value than TD-INT Ratios.

If Darnold throws 35 TD’s, but 25 picks, it’ll look a lot better if we’re 10-6 and Darnold had 3 game winning drives. 

Stats are so don’t tell the whole story. Too many opportunities for padded stats. If Darnold is 45 td’s to 12 picks, but we’re 4-12 and barely had a lead in games, then its meaningless.

Yes, the chances are slim that he would be 45 to 12 and we’d only be 4-12, just saying.

Hmm I don’t think there is a scenario possible where a QB can throw for 45 & 12 and win only 4 games lol

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Pretty unreasonable to expect or even hope for that kind of season. 

I wasnt expecting anything, just retorting 80's point that Darnold can only take us so far 

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mac did, in fact, try very hard to give over $100mm to Kirk Cousins.  

Yes, he got Darnold and I haven't heard one-single person complain about Sam Darnold.  

But there's no hiding - if it was up to Mac we would have a tight salary cap and a mediocre QB in his 30's.

Agreed.

Plan A - Cousins, wasn't very good.   He was lucky Cousin's played him.

Macc's biggest screw up was deciding to wait until 2018 to get a QB, as evidenced in that SI article.   In hindsight, (Darnold + Adams) is worse than (Mahomes + Nelson + 3 seconds) but at least (Darnold + Adams) is very, very good.

Macc is not the worst GM ever, as Lurk and other say.  He's not even the worst GM in our history - by far!

9 minutes ago, legler82 said:

You mean the guy we will passed on for a safety and because our GM felt we didn’t need since we had Petty and Hackenberg on deck?

This is a fib.  Macc passed on QB that year because he liked the 2018 class better - Cousins and the 4 drafted guys. 

It said so in that SI article.

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m usually a stat truther but this is the best argument I’ve seen against my view. You may have changed someone’s opinion on the Internet today. Maybe for the first time ever ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Once upon a time, our GM Macc, traded a useless player named Sheldon for a second round draft pick.  Then, while all the other GM's were sleeping, Macc traded that pick and some other second rounders for the number 3 pick in the entire draft!  He didn't even have to give our next year's number one, who by the way, turned out to be Hall of Famer- Quinnen.  Then, with all the other GM's in awe, Macc drafted our favorite player - Super Sam.  And that, is how the Grandpop's Jets finally won their second Super Bowl.  The end. 

"Once upon a time, Mike Heimerdinger made an amazing trade and Sam Darnold fell into our laps.  Then, after firing our GM in 2019 (can't even remember his name now), we got a real GM who started to build around Darnold and turned us into a perennial playoff team."

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This is a fib.  Macc passed on QB that year because he liked the 2018 class better - Cousins and the 4 drafted guys. 

It said so in that SI article.

So you are saying if Mac got his number 1 wish and signed cousins, he still drafts darnold ?‍♂️?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So you are saying if Mac got his number 1 wish and signed cousins, he still drafts darnold ?‍♂️?

Nope, with Cousins, he stays at 6 and drafts Nelson. 

We would have ((Cousins + Nelson + 3 second rounders) minus (a FA - prolly CJ)).

Not good.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I’m usually a stat truther but this is the best argument I’ve seen against my view. You may have changed someone’s opinion on the Internet today. Maybe for the first time ever ? 

Like all aspects of life, timing is everything. Stats tell a factual story, but don’t paint the subjective portrait. Prime example: (heads up Giants fans...this one’s gonna sting)

Precious Saquan Barkley. Is he a stud? Yes. Did he have a great rookie season? Yes. Were his stats padded by end of the game runs that prevent defenses gave up with big leads? Absolutely. Saquan’s production from scrimmage on average wasn’t even league average. 

No one is rewarded with garbage time stats like qb’s. Dump offs to rb’s for a td and gain of 30 with less than a minute to go, down by 21, will surely make the stat line better, and give your fantasy team all kinds of good feels. But relative to quality production isn’t the end all.

While Darnold had better overall games, his game against Buffalo weighs importantly because of how it ended. I thought he played much better start to finish against Houston and Green Bay. But, coming from behind on the road against a good D matters.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Like all aspects of life, timing is everything. Stats tell a factual story, but don’t paint the subjective portrait. Prime example: (heads up Giants fans...this one’s gonna sting)

Precious Saquan Barkley. Is he a stud? Yes. Did he have a great rookie season? Yes. Were his stats padded by end of the game runs that prevent defenses gave up with big leads? Absolutely. Saquan’s production from scrimmage on average wasn’t even league average. 

No one is rewarded with garbage time stats like qb’s. Dump offs to rb’s for a td and gain of 30 with less than a minute to go, down by 21, will surely make the stat line better, and give your fantasy team all kinds of good feels. But relative to quality production isn’t the end all.

While Darnold had better overall games, his game against Buffalo weighs importantly because of how it ended. I thought he played much better start to finish against Houston and Green Bay. But, coming from behind on the road against a good D matters.

Quit while you’re ahead I already said I agree with you ? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Once upon a time, Mike Heimerdinger made an amazing trade and Sam Darnold fell into our laps.  Then, after firing our GM in 2019 (can't even remember his name now), we got a real GM who started to build around Darnold and turned us into a perennial playoff team."

That is my fantasy for the Jets lol

3 hours ago, dcJet said:

Hi.  When did you become a Jets fan? 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You'll just try to talk your way out of the evidence below, but I'm just gonna leave this right here for ya anyways.  Bowles sucks.  Macc sucks worse. 

"The best head coaches know exactly what kinds of players will excel in their systems. That was a critically important yet underplayed reason why the Todd Bowles-Mike Maccagnan relationship ultimately dissolved. Maccagnan often times brought in players at a coach’s suggestion only to ultimately realize that the coach didn’t have a firm handle on what he exactly wanted/needed"

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-20190501-emljtpfzbjce5ee7o6yykcstsu-story.html

You can make all the excuses you want, he had more than enough talent to make the playoffs in 2015 and failed and he had talent to win 3-4 more games a year the last couple of years and failed.  He was the worst coach we have had since kotite.

2 hours ago, legler82 said:

You mean the guy we will passed on for a safety and because our GM felt we didn’t need since we had Petty and Hackenberg on deck?

To be fair, I don't think he "passed" on Mahomes because of Petty and Hack.

Mahomes, obviously, is a MASSIVE talent.

And while a few arm-chair QB experts here and elsewhere liked/loved him BEFORE that draft, most are using revisionist history to say..."we should have taken THAT guy".

But if we're being honest, I don't think that MOST folks--experts and amateurs alike--foresaw Mahomes doing what he did. 

He was an athletic gunslinging QB with a massive and accurate arm but had sloppy footwork and mechanics from a shotgun only spread offense.

Not the obvious slam dunk many today are claiming and I think most folks saw him as a late first round or early second round pick. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That is such BS - he didn't do anything serious about bringing in a legitimate franchise QB for 3 years - now all of a sudden, fans are supposed to love the idea that he wanted to give $100+ mm to a QB that has shown no ability to win a big game? A player how own team didn't want?

And I'm tired of the line about complaining if the team wins a Super Bowl...It's tired and cliched.

When Darnold was drafted the board was ecstatic.  There's a lot of complaining here because the teams continues to do stupid things and doesn't win.

When they do things right, like drafting Darnold, they will get praised from the fans.  Put together a legitimate, competitive NFL roster and you'll see this place change - it's just been a long time since we can say that.

First off cousins is still a quality starter in this league, we could do a lot worse than having someone like him start.  Minnesota was in the championship game and dumped their young QB to bring him in.

Macc inherited a young Geno and they were going to give him a chance before they moved on, they got lucky with Fitz and have him a second season while taking a change that maybe hack could develop.  He made moves to have flexibility to move up to get a QB in 2018 so if he couldn't land cousins he'd get one of the top players in the draft and he also signed Teddy.  He did more to try and get a long term solution at QB that anyone I can ever remember for the Jets and ultimately succeeded but still jet fans will whine.

What stupid things are they doing this offseason?

Fired Bowles- a year too late but that's the owners call.  Good move

Hired gase- looks good

Kept Macc- good move

Got bell- good

Osemele- good

Mosely- good

Crowder- good

Draft- looks good but we'll see

We have a real HC now, we have talent with a promising young QB.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.