Mehta: Jets Talking to Seahawks About Move up to Round 2

helmet.jpg

With few assets of value to move up in to early round two of the draft, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Jets might consider including a pick from next year’s class to the Seattle Seahawks for the 37th pick in this year’s draft.

Jets have spoken to at least the Seahawks, who have the No. 37 overall pick, per sources. NYJ does not have the draft capital this year to make a sizeable leap unless it was willing to part with both 3rd rounders, 4th rounder + something else.

A 2020 pick makes more sense https://t.co/diaOk4H17v

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) April 26, 2019

As is always the case, some projected first round picks fell in to round two where the Jets might see the chance to nab a value pick such as Florida left tackle Jawaan Taylor or Washington cornerback Byron Murphy.  Louisiana Tech edge rusher Jaylon Ferguson might also be an option.

The post Mehta: Jets Talking to Seahawks About Move up to Round 2 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
RWjg834ina0

Click here to read the full story...

#1. Mac can only complete trades where he's on the losing end of the negotiation. So, this is 100% believable.

#2. How big of a difference is there between taking less than chart value for #3 to net a 2nd rounder at least versus having to have to give up umpteen additional picks to get into the 2nd round. For all intents and purposes, if Mac does this you can combine all he gave up for Darnold (in last year's panic move) with all he gives up for this years 2nd (in yet another panic move). Combine all that draft capital for Sam + probably Erik McCoy. Is that good value? Is that good managing?

#3. Just watching Mayock on his call with Clellin Ferrell, and he's already shown me he's both a better scout and leader than Mac.

$4. I hate Mac and have been explaining why for a couple years now. 

#5. Someone pass me the Kleenex. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thumb Down 5

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

#1. Mac can only complete trades where he's on the losing end of the negotiation. So, this is 100% believable.

#2. How big of a difference is there between taking less than chart value for #3 to net a 2nd rounder at least versus having to have to give up umpteen additional picks to get into the 2nd round. For all intents and purposes, if Mac does this you can combine all he gave up for Darnold (in last year's panic move) with all he gives up for this years 2nd (in yet another panic move). Combine all that draft capital for Sam + probably Erik McCoy. Is that good value? Is that good managing?

#3. Just watching Mayock on his call with Clellin Ferrell, and he's already shown me he's both a better scout and leader than Mac.

Correctly betting that the Giants will be dumb and benefiting from it by getting, arguably, the best QB in the draft without giving up your 2019 1st round pick in the draft (which just became the best player in the draft)...is a panic move? Seriously, what is wrong with your brain? Did you want to be the team taking Daniel Jones this year?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Again, we have no idea what teams were offering. So saying that he take a "Little Less" may not actually be what he would have been offered. Maybe it was a lot less, and then you'd still be bashing him. 

He is in a no-win situation.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

That’s waaaaaaaaay too much 

dont sell out until the brady window is closed and nailed shut!!!!

I agree that we shouldn't be throwing draft picks away but we need to sell out while Darnold is still on rookie contract....we can't be waiting until Brady hangs it up in 2-3 years. 

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Again, we have no idea what teams were offering. So saying that he take a "Little Less" may not actually be what he would have been offered. Maybe it was a lot less, and then you'd still be bashing him. 

He is in a no-win situation.

He is in the situation he created by constantly whiffing on FA, draft and negotiations for 4 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

He made his bed....ignoring the most important unit on the field, then having the audacity to draft a potential franchise QB with no protection or high quality weapons.  Not helping the FA signings either, negating their great talent.

Doubt he is going to win in all this, he created this mess over several years, and patience is very thin that he can fix it before getting the boot.

**oops, didn’t read several of the above posts before posting

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

I agree that we shouldn't be throwing draft picks away but we need to sell out while Darnold is still on rookie contract....we can't be waiting until Brady hangs it up in 2-3 years. 

I agree but I’m not mortgaging the future to compete for 2nd 

stick and pick if that’s the cost 

now if anyone will take lee......

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He made his bed....ignoring the most important unit on the field, then having the audacity to draft a potential franchise QB with no protection or high quality weapons.  Not helping the FA signings either, negating their great talent.

Doubt he is going to win in all this, he created this mess over several years, and patience is very thin that he can fix it before getting the boot.

Spoken like someone who has followed the Jets much longer than since Sam was drafted.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

It was a compliment.

Thank you, but still feel very ignorant.  When I’m in, I’m all in.....I have 30+ books on USC football history - my guys come to me with questions concerning our tradition - and I plan to read and watch videos on the Jets.

I’m crazy football lady for my teams (was just one)...notice my avatar?  Sammy in Jet’s Gotham Green.  To put that in perspective, I gave a Buckeye friend, who is also a Steelers fan, an autographed SI with Troy Polamalu (?) on the cover because I didn’t want it hanging in my USC Woman Cave wearing a Steelers uniform.  

Big step for me!

25 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You became a Jets fan after macc got a second round pick from Seattle for Sheldon Richardson, traded Calvin Pryor for demario Davis and got Henry Anderson for a 7th round pick? 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He whiffed on Kirk Cousins, because he cannot negotiate.

Then he traded more than chart value to move up to #3 to get the 3rd best QB in the draft class. Long before draft night, which was bizarre and rare. 

Yes, it was 100% a panic move. He didn't "bet on the Giants to be dumb". He said "3rd best QB is good enough". You make a move like that, that far in advance, you have to accept the worst case scenario as being good enough. 

Cousins took LESS money to go to Minny. That view just doesn't hold up to close scrutiny. Mac has a laundry list of issues, but let's not go revisionist history here. 

Just now, ElBarrioJets said:

Cousins took LESS money to go to Minny. That view just doesn't hold up to close scrutiny. Mac has a laundry list of issues, but let's not go revisionist history here. 

Irrelevant how much money he took. Mac had Cousins as Plan A, and failed to execute on it. The why doesn't matter. The reality is his plan B was to panic and trade into the top 3 - knowing that it was possible he only got the 3rd best QB.

I don't know why this is hard for people to understand.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You became a Jets fan after macc got a second round pick from Seattle for Sheldon Richardson, traded Calvin Pryor for demario Davis and got Henry Anderson for a 7th round pick?  

He should have gotten a 1st rounder for Richardson the year before.

The other 2 trades were nice, but its pretty sad that a decent ILB (who is no longer on the team) and DT (where we now have a glut) were two of his top 5 moves over a 5 year period. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Irrelevant how much money he took. Mac had Cousins as Plan A, and failed to execute on it. The why doesn't matter. The reality is his plan B was to panic and trade into the top 3 - knowing that it was possible he only got the 3rd best QB.

When Macc does something that ends up with poor results, its "What else was he supposed to do?"

When Macc does something that ends up good, but did so by poor means, it doesn't matter, because the end result was good.

Easy way to never fault the GM for building a terrible roster.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In the end, only the first of those 3 things mattered, and he got a second round pick a season later (trade value of a 3rd round pick in the present season). This was after he declined or screwed up trying to move Mo for 2 offseason for more than that 2nd round pick. 

The other 2 you mention:

We rented Demario Davis instead of Calvin Pryor for 1 season. In effect, this helped lead the Jets needing to fork over more in a trade up for Darnold, by helping us win games in a planned tank season. Who tanks for a QB and then makes 1 year stopgap moves to slightly improve the team just for that planned tank season? An idiot with no plan does that.

The Henry Anderson trade was nice but didn't matter. It would have mattered if we got anything for him other than paying him $2MM instead of a 7th round pick $500K in a season that ended with 5 wins. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Then he traded more than chart value to move up to #3 to get the 3rd best QB in the draft class. Long before draft night, which was bizarre and rare. 

Yes, it was 100% a panic move. He didn't "bet on the Giants to be dumb". He said "3rd best QB is good enough". You make a move like that, that far in advance, you have to accept the worst case scenario as being good enough. 

Getting Sam Darnold instead of Captain Kirk Chokesins was a BLESSING.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He failed at getting him = he never really wanted him. Apparently this is the logic.

Lost in all this is the idea that part of the reason he lost out on Cousins is the Maccagnan-assembled team sucked and Minnesota's team didn't suck. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Of course it was.  But there mere fact that Cousins was his Plan A is yet another blemish on Maccaganan, no matter how much people would like to ignore that part of the process. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

His point is that the blessing was not his plan. His plan A was Cousins. Plan B was getting lucky and having one of his top 2 choices fall to #3, or more correctly (right from his own mouth) that he was content with his 3rd choice at #3.

Happy with Darnold, but he didn't go all-in on getting Darnold in his planned tank season OR in his trade up. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you dbags are really harping about K effing cuzzins?  ffs.

the friendly fire around here is lethal.

No, these posts are about why there's no reason to trust Maccagnan is going to make a great deal to move into the 2nd.  If we make the move, we'll get fleeced.

Come on...read this back to yourself. Cousins very openly said he was never going to play for the jets and only used us for leverage...if you were him so you choose Enunwa and Anderson over the weapons they have in min? The trade he made last year was risky and expensive but he did it because the bills were very actively trading their team away to stockpile picks so that they could move up. As much as we spent for that pick has the Colts held onto it until the draft I am certain they would have gotten higher offers which could have barred us out of the top 4 qbs on the board and left us with "bpa" and no qb as our options.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1