Mehta: Jets Talking to Seahawks About Move up to Round 2

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Irrelevant how much money he took. Mac had Cousins as Plan A, and failed to execute on it. The why doesn't matter. The reality is his plan B was to panic and trade into the top 3 - knowing that it was possible he only got the 3rd best QB.

I don't know why this is hard for people to understand.

Lol it is VERY relevant how much money he took. NJ vs. MN taxes, how soon the teams were ready to contend, their recent success in the playoffs. There are tons of variables here that you choose not to even entertain because you just want to push a "Mac is garbage" narrative. That said, I think Mac IS garbage, but this is dumb. 

Cousins was never coming here. What was he going to do? Pick a team fresh off an NFC Championship appearance or a historic loser? Mac moved up in a historically good QB draft. The cost to go up even further would have been insane. I'd say all things considered that worked out pretty well. 

Mac has a lot of blotches on his resume, Cousins/how last year's QB search worked out is a major stretch. 

14 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Cousins took LESS money to go to Minny. That view just doesn't hold up to close scrutiny. Mac has a laundry list of issues, but let's not go revisionist history here. 

Right.  Cousins is a loser twat who also could not handle NY.  Just because Macc could not sell the higher state tax to him does not make him a bad negotiator

Irrelevant how much money he took. Mac had Cousins as Plan A, and failed to execute on it. The why doesn't matter. The reality is his plan B was to panic and trade into the top 3 - knowing that it was possible he only got the 3rd best QB.
I don't know why this is hard for people to understand.
How does the why not matter. If the guy does not want to play for your team it doesn't matter who the gm is.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He should have gotten a 1st rounder for Richardson the year before.
The other 2 trades were nice, but its pretty sad that a decent ILB (who is no longer on the team) and DT (where we now have a glut) were two of his top 5 moves over a 5 year period. 
Should have gotten a first rounder the year before? You mean the one where he got pulled over driving 150 mph with a gun in the car and a child? The one where he made a video of himself after showing up late to a game saying "where the hoes at". I get you people are upset but you can't honestly think any gm could do the impossible

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol it is VERY relevant how much money he took. NJ vs. MN taxes, how soon the teams were ready to contend, their recent success in the playoffs. There are tons of variables here that you choose not to even entertain because you just want to push a "Mac is garbage" narrative. That said, I think Mac IS garbage, but this is dumb. 

Cousins was never coming here. What was he going to do? Pick a team fresh off an NFC Championship appearance or a historic loser? Mac moved up in a historically good QB draft. The cost to go up even further would have been insane. I'd say all things considered that worked out pretty well. 

Mac has a lot of blotches on his resume, Cousins/how last year's QB search worked out is a major stretch. 

Nope. You're deflecting the argument to be about Kirk's choice. Not about Kirk being Plan A for Mac. You missed the point, or are just intent on winning a peripheral argument that I'm not in the mood to tussle over.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Come on...read this back to yourself. Cousins very openly said he was never going to play for the jets and only used us for leverage...if you were him so you choose Enunwa and Anderson over the weapons they have in min? The trade he made last year was risky and expensive but he did it because the bills were very actively trading their team away to stockpile picks so that they could move up. As much as we spent for that pick has the Colts held onto it until the draft I am certain they would have gotten higher offers which could have barred us out of the top 4 qbs on the board and left us with "bpa" and no qb as our options.

That is irrelevant. It doesn't change Cousins being his Plan A rather than moving up to draft a QB after tanking the prior year for a high QB pick.

• Upvote 2

That is irrelevant. It doesn't change Cousins being his Plan A rather than moving up to draft a QB after tanking the prior year for a high QB pick.
Cousins should have been plan a...getting a franchise qb should be the top priority for every team without one. If there is a possibility one is there in free agency you can not afford to wait until the draft seeing as free agency starts a month or two before the draft. That quarterback will no longer be a possibility if you wait.

• Haha 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Nope. You're deflecting the argument to be about Kirk's choice. Not about Kirk being Plan A for Mac. You missed the point, or are just intent on winning a peripheral argument that I'm not in the mood to tussle over.

I see your point dude. It's irrelevant and frankly quite strange.

In every realm of life, plans don't work because of outside factors. Despite intensive efforts, resources, etc, some things just don't happen. 

Let me put it this way. Say your buddy wants to smash a chick at the bar. He strikes out. Are you going to put 100 percent of the blame on your friend, or are you going to be a normal person and think "Well maybe she has other sh*t going on/isn't into him." 

So like...did you want him to suck his dick or something? You're acting like a GM's efforts is the be all end all factor in determining whether a player goes somewhere when in reality it's miniscule. 

As I said before, SO many other better ways to criticize Mac, but your argument is just inherently flawed here.

So we don't trade down in a deep draft with only a few picks so that we could pick a ******* nose tackle at #3 (after drafting 2 DTs last year), and now we're going to thin out next year's stock of picks as well to move up to the 2nd round, which we could have already been in by simply trading down?

"Oh, maybe there weren't any offers." There are always offers, they're just not always offers that result in equal value (so what?).

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Wow this is just a mess! - The prick is trying to mortgage the rest of the draft, to get one pick in round 2 and goodness knows what from next years draft.

The root of all this is the Johnson’s and their incompetence at running the organisation.

I’m hoping it’s for Lee plus a 3rd. Not sure if Seattle needs a LB or not. IMO trading Leo would be stupid. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

#1. Mac can only complete trades where he's on the losing end of the negotiation. So, this is 100% believable.

#2. How big of a difference is there between taking less than chart value for #3 to net a 2nd rounder at least versus having to have to give up umpteen additional picks to get into the 2nd round. For all intents and purposes, if Mac does this you can combine all he gave up for Darnold (in last year's panic move) with all he gives up for this years 2nd (in yet another panic move). Combine all that draft capital for Sam + probably Erik McCoy. Is that good value? Is that good managing?

#3. Just watching Mayock on his call with Clellin Ferrell, and he's already shown me he's both a better scout and leader than Mac.

$4. I hate Mac and have been explaining why for a couple years now. 

#5. Someone pass me the Kleenex. 

Say what you want about Mac, but mayock is an arrogant ass, and I hope he and the raiders fall on their face.

7 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Say what you want about Mac, but mayock is an arrogant ass, and I hope he and the raiders fall on their face.

While I also hope the Raiders fail miserably. I have to give credit where it's due. Mayock has shown more signs of being strategic, having a vision, and demonstrating leadership than we've ever seen from Mac. Just gotta hope Gruden screws it all up.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

#1. Mac can only complete trades where he's on the losing end of the negotiation. So, this is 100% believable.

#2. How big of a difference is there between taking less than chart value for #3 to net a 2nd rounder at least versus having to have to give up umpteen additional picks to get into the 2nd round. For all intents and purposes, if Mac does this you can combine all he gave up for Darnold (in last year's panic move) with all he gives up for this years 2nd (in yet another panic move). Combine all that draft capital for Sam + probably Erik McCoy. Is that good value? Is that good managing?

#3. Just watching Mayock on his call with Clellin Ferrell, and he's already shown me he's both a better scout and leader than Mac.

$4. I hate Mac and have been explaining why for a couple years now. 

#5. Someone pass me the Kleenex. 

He traded a 5th rounder for Brandon Marshall and a 7th rounder. You fail. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I defy anyone to show me a more mentally deranged fanbase than that of our NYJ.

Considering the reflection you see in the mirror multiple times per day I dont think it's possible for anyone to show you a more mentally deranged fanbase

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1