Jachai Polite interview

Yeah, watched a bit of this as well. Interesting that his"weight gain" during the off-season was actually intentional as part of his combine preparation. It may have backfired on him, but it seems he was well-intentioned. Really starting to dig this pick, as much as I did want some offensive help.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Yeah, watched a bit of this as well. Interesting that his"weight gain" during the off-season was actually intentional as part of his combine preparation. It may have backfired on him, but it seems he was well-intentioned. Really starting to dig this pick, as much as I did want some offensive help.

Was there a pick....any pick...you wouldn't have liked?

Seems alot of folks will take literally anything and love it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3

He was rated as my 7 top edge rusher but I had him as my riser after watching more tape on him. He had a not so good combine or he would of been in my top 5.  The other 6 was.....................1. Josh Allen  2. Montez Sweat  3. Chase Winovich  4. Brian Burns  5. Ben Banagu  6. Deandre Walker and than him.  All of these players I ha as 1st to 2nd round players 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There isn't a single player you're taking in the third round who doesn't have some red flags. You take that into consideration and hope for the best.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

with all due respect, is there any pick that you wouldn't have criticized?  don't worry.. no need to answer. 10+ years of message board posts and this is a rhetorical question. 

Winovich would have been fine if we just had to go Defense again IMO.

Clearly a winning franchise agreed.

I get it. Slam the Jets and odds are you'll be vindicated as being right..

Lol.

but besides Patrick Ramsey I can't remember you ever being happy with something this team did. 

Your inability to pay attention isn't my problem mate, sorry.

If you're gonna get weepy about people who disagree with this draft direction, you're going to be busy.  I'm hardly alone.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, fullblast said:

There isn't a single player you're taking in the third round who doesn't have some red flags. You take that into consideration and hope for the best.

He ran 0.2 slower a forty than I ran when I graduated High School.  And I weighted 285 then.

I get his one year of "purely on natural ability" tape is spectacular, admittedly.  

Everything after that looks horrible.

He's a Jet now, so we'll all have to hope he is the tape, and not just a guy who cruised but lacks the ethic to make something special of himself.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He ran 0.2 slower a forty than I ran when I graduated High School.  And I weighted 285 then.

I get his one year of "purely on natural ability" tape is spectacular, admittedly.  

Everything after that looks horrible.

He's a Jet now, so we'll all have to hope he is the tape, and not just a guy who cruised but lacks the ethic to make something special of himself.

Yeah, he had a bad combine. This is well documented. If he killed it during the year and at the combine he would have gone in the first round. Again, there's a reason why these guys are available this late so you factor all of that in. Otherwise you can complain about virtually every pick.

1 minute ago, fullblast said:

Yeah, he had a bad combine. This is well documented. If he killed it during the year and at the combine he would have gone in the first round. Again, there a reason why these guys are available this late so you factor all of that in. Otherwise you can complain about virtually every pick.

The reason in this case is he is a massive risk to be a total waste of a pick.

As reviews have already started saying, it's a high risk/high reward choice.  

So we'll see.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Winovich would have been fine if we just had to go Defense again IMO.

Clearly a winning franchise agreed.

Lol.

Your inability to pay attention isn't my problem mate, sorry.

If you're gonna get weepy about people who disagree with this draft direction, you're going to be busy.  I'm hardly alone.

You were a Debbie Downer about Darnold last year.  Not sure what else to say.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Fascinating story. Wonder who he is repped by and how someone with his season at Florida was so poorly advised and then prepared for the process.

Must assume he visited with us and made a different impression.  

He held eye contact with Gase the entire time. Very impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

An oversimplification.

Regardless, what difference does it make to you if I like or dislike a pick?

To be fair, what others think of the pick seems to make a difference with you for some reason ....

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

• Upvote 2

Looks to me like Maccagnan is rolling the dice on Gregg Williams' ability to "connect" with this kid before he does something stupid enough to get himself thrown off the team. 

I like what I've seen on "tape", I just hope this kid isn't a lunatic who flames out after a year or two.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Looks to me like Maccagnan is rolling the dice on Gregg Williams' ability to "connect" with this kid before he does something stupid enough to get himself thrown off the team. 

I like what I've seen on "tape", I just hope this kid isn't a lunatic who flames out after a year or two.

He put on too much weight and got nervous/defensive in interviews, I havent read anything about him being a troubled kid or issue. Actually, Maccagnan said they have a member on staff that came off the UF coaching staff and Marcus Maye had played with him that had vouched for him.  Interestingly he also went to the same high school as Leonard 6. 

Finally on the weight, he seems to be able to get up and down quite a bit. Said in his interview for the Jets website that he started off playing over 270lbs as a DL at Florida before getting down to 235 for this past season. Interestingly he is apparently already back down to 240 from the 255 he was carrying at the combine and his pro day.  Really does feel more like a bad decision to come up in weight than laziness as he seems to have worked closely with the UF nutrition team and has been able to change his weight depending on what the coaching staff had asked of him. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

He put on too much weight and got nervous/defensive in interviews, I havent read anything about him being a troubled kid or issue. Actually, Maccagnan said they have a member on staff that came off the UF coaching staff and Marcus Maye had played with him that had vouched for him.  Interestingly he also went to the same high school as Leonard 6. 

Finally on the weight, he seems to be able to get up and down quite a bit. Said in his interview for the Jets website that he started off playing over 270lbs as a DL at Florida before getting down to 235 for this past season. Interestingly he is apparently already back down to 240 from the 255 he was carrying at the combine and his pro day.  Really does feel more like a bad decision to come up in weight than laziness as he seems to have worked closely with the UF nutrition team and has been able to change his weight depending on what the coaching staff had asked of him. 

Agreed about the weight thing.  It appears to be something he planned that backfired instead of being lazy. Is there risk? of course but if it clicks this could be the steal of the draft

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

this dude needs the nutritionist in his contacts. he probably has an eating disorder. said he came into Florida weighing 275 and was playing interior line. ONly when he started working with the nutritionist and dieting properly and working out right did he get down to 240. 

he obviously went back to the fried chicken, pizza and ice cream after the season and it all went to sh*t.

jets need to make sure he’s got a psychologist and nutritionist like an au pair.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What’s more likely, that he was poorly advised by some phantom man on how to prepare for a process that virtually everyone in college football knows how to prepare for? Or that he just didn’t take it very seriously and is making excuses about it?

I think once QW@3 was pretty much in the book Gase just lost his sh*t and started chasing Maccagnan around the facility. Out one door. In the other. Up and down the hall. Cartoon sh*t. Maccagnan eventually sees Wiliams and tries to take cover behind him. Spring forth, burly protector. Williams says okay, but I have demands. This is gonna be good for the lols. I wonder if Maccagnan gave him any more picks to play with tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Vader said:

this dude needs the nutritionist in his contacts. he probably has an eating disorder. said he came into Florida weighing 275 and was playing interior line. ONly when he started working with the nutritionist and dieting properly and working out right did he get down to 240. 

he obviously went back to the fried chicken, pizza and ice cream after the season and it all went to sh*t.

jets need to make sure he’s got a psychologist and nutritionist like an au pair.

Yes, because everybody knows that the solution to a guy you can't tell sh*t is to give him a million dollars and try again.