Jachai Polite interview

That kid is a pile of clay right now about to get molded  by CJ Mosley, Jamal Adams and Marcis Maye- and of course Gregg Williams. 

Polite appears naive and unprepared but is waking up to it and is owning it and frankly looking to be taken under a wing and taught how things are done.  He has some intelligence and vulnerability. 

I was expecting some knucklehead interview and this was not that, this I can work with.  Support him, then get tough with him, teach him how to be a professional, how to dedicate himself and O think he could a star rushing the passer

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, David Harris said:

That kid is a pile of clay right now about to get molded  by CJ Mosley, Jamal Adams and Marcis Maye- and of course Gregg Williams. 

Polite appears naive and unprepared but is waking up to it and is owning it and frankly looking to be taken under a wing and taught how things are done.  He has some intelligence and vulnerability. 

I was expecting some knucklehead interview and this was not that, this I can work with.  Support him, then get tough with him, teach him how to be a professional, how to dedicate himself and O think he could a star rushing the passer

Agree, he comes across as nice but sensitive. Could go either way. His tape is exceptional. Let's hope he is that guy,

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I love Like the pick, good value where we took him.

I agree. And despite the QW pick (defense) the Jets still needed an edge desperately. This is a first round talent with fantastic tape who fell in the draft b/c of a poor combine and interview. I think Macc saw the value and had no hesitation. This guy is a beast. Does not rely on speed or power alone. Has great burst and uses his hands well. Stout against the run. This guy coming off the edge with QW and Leo inside will wreak havoc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

The reason in this case is he is a massive risk to be a total waste of a pick.

As reviews have already started saying, it's a high risk/high reward choice.  

So we'll see.  

The guy has talent.  NO doubt.  And he has HIGH reward value to where he is picked.  But what comes with high reward is always high risk.  If Mac had a track record of Ozzie Newsome, it wouldn't be so bad.  But he doesn't.  A guy who already has two of his three 2nd round picks out of football in 4 years, and two of his 3rd round picks. 

Lets just digest THAT for a moment.  4 high draft picks in 4 drafts that are out of football.  Not even on another team.  They are selling cars or flipping burgers already.  That does NOT bode well for someone taking yet another boom/bust player so high.

He ran 0.2 slower a forty than I ran when I graduated High School.  And I weighted 285 then.
I get his one year of "purely on natural ability" tape is spectacular, admittedly.  
Everything after that looks horrible.
He's a Jet now, so we'll all have to hope he is the tape, and not just a guy who cruised but lacks the ethic to make something special of himself.

Were the clocks as accurate in ‘47 ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Was there a pick....any pick...you wouldn't have liked?

Seems alot of folks will take literally anything and love it.

yep.  maybe this guy will work out but he seems like one of those fallen first round potentials that mac seems to gravitate to.  at least he doesn't have a blown out knee or achilles so he may be healthy enough.

I didn't like the qw pick. Polite was a guy i really liked. Before the combine I thought he would be a good pick up in a trade down situation as he filled a need and was a solid prospect. In the third round he is worth the risk after his combine we could potentially get a first round talent for a third round pick and worse case he busts out of the league like all of our other third rounders? Why do you not like this pick that has the potential to be very good?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

He ran 0.2 slower a forty than I ran when I graduated High School.  And I weighted 285 then.

I get his one year of "purely on natural ability" tape is spectacular, admittedly.  

Everything after that looks horrible.

He's a Jet now, so we'll all have to hope he is the tape, and not just a guy who cruised but lacks the ethic to make something special of himself.

What does a 40 yard dash have to do with someone's ability as a pass rusher though? I don't see how it relates. Maybe if the QB lined up 20 yards deep for a shotgun.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What does a 40 yard dash have to do with someone's ability as a pass rusher though? I don't see how it relates. Maybe if the QB lined up 20 yards deep for a shotgun.

His tape shows a player when playing at his comfortable weight and when healthy, probably runs around a 4.6 at the combine. Watching his tape he always seems to explode off the line. That injury and trying to put on weight may be the dumb luck the Jets needed to finally find an edge rusher.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, MindOverMatter said:

His tape shows a player when playing at his comfortable weight and when healthy, probably runs around a 4.6 at the combine. Watching his tape he always seems to explode off the line. That injury and trying to put on weight may be the dumb luck the Jets needed to finally find an edge rusher.

OK this doesn't answer the question in the post you quoted though.

9 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed about the weight thing.  It appears to be something he planned that backfired instead of being lazy. Is there risk? of course but if it clicks this could be the steal of the draft

Even if it was laziness, is it the same thing as him getting drunk and diving, sexual assault, assault, etc? Maybe he is lazy (not sure), maybe he didn't work out as hard as he should have. If so, it cost him dearly as a good combine would have gotten him 1st round money. Of all of the stupid things 20+ year olds do, this isn't a major red flag - IMO. It is a 3rd round dice roll - if they are right, they will be talking steal...

Quality player who had 1st round potential, but his immaturity had him slip into round 3.

Pros:

He has great tape and potential; if he can 'grow up' and focus, he can be great

Cons:

He stupidly was picked by Mac receiving the anger of the Jets fan; a quality player would have been drafted 20 picks later by Bellie which would have guaranteed his admission into the Hall of Fame. 

Or question every pick.

Automatically.  So, at the end of the day does it change a thing?  We'll see when they hit the field

The reason in this case is he is a massive risk to be a total waste of a pick.

As reviews have already started saying, it's a high risk/high reward choice.  

So we'll see.  

Because he ran the 40 with a torn muscle? 

Screw his motor, his production and his tape.  His forty, while injured wasnt good enough?

Best part is if we drafted a kid who produced nothing, looked like shlt on tape who blew up the combine we would get the same type of comments in reverse. 

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dick Butkus used to say if he needed to run 40 yards to make a play he screwed up.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I like him in the 3rd.    Every 3rd rounder has issues, other wise they would be a 1st rounder.

QW is potentially a very good player.    At a position that has a lot of resources poured into it.   I just really wanted a trade down, they have so many holes, taking another 3-4 DE seems redundant, unless they are totally letting the other Williams go after this season.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because he ran the 40 with a torn muscle? 

Screw his motor, his production and his tape.  His forty, while injured wasnt good enough?

Best part is if we drafted a kid who produced nothing, looked like shlt on tape who blew up the combine we would get the same type of comments in reverse. 

I don't understand this reply.  Are you saying he is not a risk as a pick?  

20 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Of course he's a massive risk as a pick. Roughly 0% of that risk has anything to do with concern that his 40 time is an accurate reflection of questionable athleticism.

It was never his natural athleticism that was questioned.

19 hours ago, fullblast said:

Yeah, he had a bad combine. This is well documented. If he killed it during the year and at the combine he would have gone in the first round. Again, there's a reason why these guys are available this late so you factor all of that in. Otherwise you can complain about virtually every pick.

I said in another thread, that it's possible that the draft process was more stressful and intimidating for Polite, then any obstacles or situations that he's experienced on a football field. 

Now that this process is over...he can once again focus on football.  Be once again in a familiar environment of teammates and his coaches. Practices and the games. A comfort zone that he's more relaxed and can be himself in.  

He doesn't need to worry about what his weight should be...the CS will figure that out for him.  And his teammates will be there for him.

What I've seen of him on tape...he's an edge rushing terror. A mid 1st round talent. and a 3rd pick steal.     

• Upvote 1

There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical on nearly every pick in the NFL draft.

All I know is that Polite was a bad ass at Florida.  I don't know why or how he tested so poorly.  On the field at Florida, he was a stud.  The true pass rusher we've wanted for years.  If someone would have told me in December that the Jets would walk away with Quinnen Williams and Polite in the draft I would have thought it was next to impossible, as both were perceived as top talents.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Is this a serious post?  

It doesn't have that big of correlation.  40 time is about top end speed.  Pass rushing is about short burst quickness, change of direction ability, flexibility and hand technique.  I am not saying his 20 yard and 3 cone drill are good because I don't know what his numbers were, but those are better tests for pash rushers than the 40.

8 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

https://youtu.be/5wwzoommDlk   ---- make sure to hit mute to avoid listening to the trash underneath the video 

Kid is all over the field. Bummer he cannot excel at track & field ?

You guys kill me, really.

Yup.  Slow, fat, and lazy.  Just like "they" said.  Can't make this sh*t up.  LSU sure took advantage of his "incapacitated" state, don't you think.  Too bad that people put such little stock in a player's ability to actually play football.?

9 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Even if it was laziness, is it the same thing as him getting drunk and diving, sexual assault, assault, etc? Maybe he is lazy (not sure), maybe he didn't work out as hard as he should have. If so, it cost him dearly as a good combine would have gotten him 1st round money. Of all of the stupid things 20+ year olds do, this isn't a major red flag - IMO. It is a 3rd round dice roll - if they are right, they will be talking steal...

Yeah but is diving drunk even against the law?

If so, I gotta make better life choices....

• Haha 1

I cant hate on this pick too much. We've certainly drafted plenty of 3rd rounders with less ability/upside than this kid. 

Considering that once we are outside of the first 10 picks, my immediate assumption is that whoever Mac selected will be out of the league inside of two years... I've actually got a little bit of hope for this kid. 

What the hell, we've drafted plenty of busts that didnt have impressive film but blew away the combine. Let's go the exact opposite this time and see if we have better luck ??‍♂️