@retiremoms

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We wanted Winovich in that range. Jets liked Polite, Belichick liked Winovich.

I liked Winovich too, and I’m disappointed, but I do think we are switching to more of a 4-3 and I believe Winovich is more of a 3-4 guy, and Polite more of a 4-3 guy, but I would have been happy with Winovich too. But he is not a can’t miss either

Just now, NoBowles said:

I liked Winovich too, and I’m disappointed, but I do think we are switching to more of a 4-3 and I believe Winovich is more of a 3-4 guy, and Polite more of a 4-3 guy, but I would have been happy with Winovich too. But he is not a can’t miss either

If anything Polite is the one I'm worried about as a down lineman. I understand that there's risk with Winovich and everybody else. Polite has the standard risk on top of idiot risk.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hang on Lon I’ll find out you wait here 

Some "reporter" claims the staff didn't like him. No quote to back it up. Doesn't name t which coach then in the next sentence claims a reason the pick isn't great is because the school hasn't produced a track record of good nfl edge rushers. And I'm supposed to take that seriously? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

If anything Polite is the one I'm worried about as a down lineman. I understand that there's risk with Winovich and everybody else. Polite has the standard risk on top of idiot risk.

I think Polite will play OLB in a 4-3, at 240 he will get destroyed as a down lineman. I agree with the risks, all we can hope is they did some homework and know something we don’t know 

5 minutes ago, Lon chaney said:

Some "reporter" claims the staff didn't like him. No quote to back it up. Doesn't name t which coach then in the next sentence claims a reason the pick isn't great is because the school hasn't produced a track record of good nfl edge rushers. And I'm supposed to take that seriously? 

Ya

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This was a steal pick. He had a bad hammy in the offseason which probably contributed to his weight gain and his poor combine performance

That was what was reported, bad hammy caused his poor work outs and combine

McShay said if the draft was held right at the end of the season he would have gone in the first.  Who knows but sounds like a good value pick where we got him.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We wanted Winovich in that range. Jets liked Polite, Belichick liked Winovich.

I rather take a chance on legit pass rusher with top notch bend .. than a high motor guy who is 3 years older . But I know you love those testing results. But imagine playing with guys like Mo hurst , Rashaan Gary and still can’t reach 10 sacks in any season in your career. 

2 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Do you think his agents advised him to "bulk up" by rapidly adding weight around the middle of his body?  

I don't. My theory is that once he was done with football at Florida he returned to the diet that made him a DT when he was a freshman. If you listen to the interviews, he explains how the dieticians at the school cut his weight and body fat.

Hopefully, it is a lessen learned. As to an elite athlete's diet, there are no days off.

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't. My theory is that once he was done with football at Florida he returned to the diet that made him a DT when he was a freshman. If you listen to the interviews, he explains how the dieticians at the school cut his weight and body fat.

Hopefully, it is a lessen learned. As to an elite athlete's diet, there are no days off.

If the prospect of losing millions of dollars wasn’t enough to incentivize him to stay on track, why would paying him change things?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the prospect of losing millions of dollars wasn’t enough to incentivize him to stay on track, why would paying him change things?

Perhaps he failed to realize just how adversely the diet change would effect him. The question is, does he learn from mistakes? His success in the NFL is entirely up to him. 

Some guys learn i.e. Bryan Thomas, and have long careers. Many guys don't and become NFL footnotes.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Perhaps he failed to realize just how adversely the diet change would effect him. The question is, does he learn from mistakes? His success in the NFL is entirely up to him. 

Some guys learn i.e. Bryan Thomas, and have long careers. Many guys don't and become NFL footnotes.

It's all well and good when it's just words. Maybe it will be like a Good Will Hunting thing with G-Regg. Probably it won't.

• Upvote 1

Didn't like the pick . But in fairness the NFL pretends the combine is the first time these players have ever been put through drills, weighed and ran. Reality is since sophomore year of high school these players have been going to camps every summer, and that's multiple camps. Their schools do the same thing every spring and August. All of that data is either readily available or available with a phone call or an email.

Point is these guys are known quantities before the combine, despite the NFL turing it into the Holy Grail. Is fair to say the combine acts as a job interview. And as to that, Polite shows himself to be a silly goose. That is what should give you pause. If you had a legitimate injury, beg off the drills. Is possible a trainer told him to eat up, but doesn't sound like he has a very good trainer at all. ]

36 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Do you think his agents advised him to "bulk up" by rapidly adding weight around the middle of his body?  

Sounds like he either got some very bad advice, or once he figured he was getting drafted high, it was party time. If he's like most NCAA footballers, he's been under martial law/house arrest for 4-5 years. Not very mature when you consider the $ at stake. As Sonny Werblin notes, can either learn from it or he'll be out of the NFL in short order. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's all well and good when it's just words. Maybe it will be like a Good Will Hunting thing with G-Regg. Probably it won't.

No one has a crystal ball, but he clearly has the ability to be in game shape since he did it last season when he had a very productive year. IMO, it's a better bet than a guy who has never fulfilled the promise of his lofty expectations i.e. Rashan Gary

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No one has a crystal ball, but he clearly has the ability to be in game shape since he did it last season when he had a very productive year. IMO, it's a better bet than a guy who has never fulfilled the promise of his lofty expectations i.e. Rashan Gary

I didn't want any part of Gary either and he had the numbers that those of us who ostensibly overvalue those things. Every single one of these guys scares me. Even where I'm as sure as I can be about Ed Oliver, I don't know anything about Ed Oliver the multimillionaire. People are acting like this is a small thing and the only thing. It's huge and it's on top of everything else.

• Upvote 2

Dude has put some seriously good film out there against the likes of Michigan, FSU, LSU etc. He has the speed, moves and bend to be a very good player in the NFL. Fingers crossed that he learned his lesson as a 20 year old and gets back to playing the way he did last year. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Didn't like the pick . But in fairness the NFL pretends the combine is the first time these players have ever been put through drills, weighed and ran. Reality is since sophomore year of high school these players have been going to camps every summer, and that's multiple camps. Their schools do the same thing every spring and August. All of that data is either readily available or available with a phone call or an email.

Point is these guys are known quantities before the combine, despite the NFL turing it into the Holy Grail. Is fair to say the combine acts as a job interview. And as to that, Polite shows himself to be a silly goose. That is what should give you pause. If you had a legitimate injury, beg off the drills. Is possible a trainer told him to eat up, but doesn't sound like he has a very good trainer at all. ]

You could say this if he just got fat at the Combine, but he looked even worse a month later at his Pro Day and bitched about being asked hard questions about his attitude. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Looking at it objectively, 

Good:

1. Great production 

2. Intriguing tape

Bad:

1. Disaster triangle numbers 

2. Disaster interview process

3. Character red flags from every corner

The good thing is that there are no triangles on the football field and you don't have to interview the QB when you're sacking him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You could say this if he just got fat at the Combine, but he looked even worse a month later at his Pro Day and bitched about being asked hard questions about his attitude. 

NFL is a workplace like any other. IF you're super talented, things can slide and be overlooked(LT gobbling up dope, staying out all night, getting brought to practice handcuffed in a patrol car, Brett Favre being a degenerate and drunk, etc.) , for as long as you continue to produce. Once you slide, different story. If you're a worker bee though indifference to and flouting of SOP is not a good thing. NOBODY wants to deal with a problem child who doesn't produce. And Maccagnan did pretty much the same thing drafting Hackenberg; a total problem child at PSU.Difference could be nobody read that idiot the riot act, and would like to think Gregg Williams is going to browbeat the living sheet out of Polite to get him to be productive player (something Todd Bowles never did once here). We'll see. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Looking at it objectively, 

Good:

1. Great production 

2. Intriguing tape

Bad:

1. Disaster triangle numbers 

2. Disaster interview process

3. Character red flags from every corner

Yes, I know. I guess I’m just exhausted. I’ve been pointing out the problems for so long I just don’t have it in me to be as diligent about it right now. Been sick for two weeks...

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Suggs played up around 260 lbs. Polite is gonna try to play at 235-240. Tough hall to be slow AND light

As to size, QW is 2 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier than Aaron Donald, 2 inches shorter than Reggie White and 15 lbs. heavier. White played DE. May be some of Maccagnan's media stooges could, you know, look up this stuff when their beloved GM spouts these idiotic comparisons. 

• Upvote 1