Sign in to follow this  
Phillyjet

Day 3 thoughts

Couple of thoughts entering day 3:

1) Darron Lee for a 5th or 6th seems right, since his cap value is good, and he has value particularly in passing/nickel/dime situations.  If they don’t get that, his cap value is reasonable for depth and they should hold onto him for special teams depth and for passing down situations.

2) I too am shocked by us not having drafted a center yet.  Lamont Gaillard and Michael Jordan are possibilities.  But the proof will be in the pudding.  Maybe they are higher on Jonathan Harrison than we have all believed.  They also have Jon Toth from Kentucky who has been a developmental player.  Macc has a history going back to the Texans of finding OL talent in late rounds or undrafted.  The OL play this year could very well be the flashpoint for whether Macc survives another year.

3) The 3rd round picks were very solid; Edoga will be a starter within a year, and has LT potential, but at the very least will be a RT or RG for us.  Also good to see that Brandon Shell was full practice at OTAs after the late season injury.  Polite is a boom/bust pick, but has talent as good as any of the guys in the first round... if you believe that his hamstring contributed to the poor 40 time, then the risk/reward was great in the 3rd round.  While round 2 picks have sucked, Macc has actually done well in Round 3 here, save the first year.  Jordan Jenkins, Chris Herndon are solid pieces.  Not 100% but it’s round 3 boom or bust and those two guys are pretty solid hits.  Hoping we see the same from these guys.

4) I fully expect us to trade down from this next pick to acquire more picks... not saying it is right, but I expect it.  CB remains a huge need, although Derrick Jones was coming on late in the year and may have some value for us.  Guys like Isaiah Johnson, Julian Love are interesting prospects.  But overall, terrible draft for CBs and WRs.

5) Keep in mind that the Jets had only 1 WR in for a visit this year... I love Butler as a prospect, but based on their visits, they seem to agree the WR class sucks.  On the other hand, they had 14+ RBs in for visits, so I would assume a RB will be among the picks today.  But Butler is very tempting and fills a need.  Good chance he’ll be one of the first off the board today.

• Upvote 1

Also keep in mind that Claiborne is still a free agent and could be the patch we need to compete this year before drafting a guy next year

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

Just now, bealeb319 said:

I would look for a Henry Anderson type of trade for a vet corner or center

No way Anderson is a starter on the DL much rather him than McClendon. 

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Popping tops off, as per usual.

Nope Thursday night at the draft party MetLife 3 beers last night 0 beers if it matters and you are counting. 

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Good point, these are the type of moves that Macc does not get enough credit for.  And I am not necessarily a huge Macc fan.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope Thursday night at the draft party MetLife 3 beers last night 0 beers if it matters and you are counting. 

That would be caps off.

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

That would be caps off.

$11 x 3 and no caps given. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way Anderson is a starter on the DL much rather him than McClendon. 

Didn’t he was saying to trade Anderson... we picked him up for a 7th round pick last year. And we just signed him for fairly big money.  He was endorsing that concept.   Darron Lee for a player straight up?  Or flipping a late rounder for a player who is on the outs with a new coaching staff?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Phillyjet said:

Didn’t he was saying to trade Anderson... we picked him up for a 7th round pick last year. And we just signed him for fairly big money.  He was endorsing that concept.   Darron Lee for a player straight up?  Or flipping a late rounder for a player who is on the outs with a new coaching staff?

Yes sorry my bad reading without reading glasses. 

25 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Also keep in mind that Claiborne is still a free agent and could be the patch we need to compete this year before drafting a guy next year

25 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I really don't understand the narrative that the Jets have a huge, immediate need at CB and would want to sign Mo Claiborne or draft a CB early in the 4th this year. In the future? Sure, CB might be a huge need. But not now. 

Jets fans might not like the players but Tru is here to stay and is penciled in as the #1. Gregg Williams is probably excited to reunite with him. Jets JUST signed Roberts and Poole. That's 3 CBs penciled in as starters. Then they have Nickerson, a young backup slot CB who looked good every chance he got to play. Jones and Robinson are lanky athletic and very fast young CBs who looked good when THEY were given the chance to play. I would NOT cut or put on PS any of those 3 young talented CBs b/c we drafted a CB in the 4th. Just saying. Unless the Jets REALLY like a CB and are ok with cutting Jones or Robinson (or putting them on PS if eligible)...I don't see them draft a CB or signing one at this point.  

And yes, I am assuming they carry 6 CBs into the season. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

4) I fully expect us to trade down from this next pick to acquire more picks... not saying it is right, but I expect it.  CB remains a huge need, although Derrick Jones was coming on late in the year and may have some value for us.  Guys like Isaiah Johnson, Julian Love are interesting prospects.  But overall, terrible draft for CBs and WRs.

I disagree. Barring a trade for a legit starting C, I think the Jets stand pat and take one of the top prospects that have fallen to the 4th.

They have an early 4th round pick and can get great value if they stay at that spot. The value will drop dramatically if they move down- IMO. If Butler or Harmon is there, you gotta take one of those guys. If they really like Michael Jordan, fine take him. But these guys will all go early in round 4. You move down, they are going to be gone and you might add a 5th rounder but the talent won't be nearly as impressive.

Also, I disagree that this is a terrible draft for WR...there may not be a lot of top end talent, but this is a very deep draft at WR.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. Barring a trade for a legit starting C, I think the Jets stand pat and take one of the top prospects that have fallen to the 4th.

They have an early 4th round pick and can get great value if they stay at that spot. The value will drop dramatically if they move down- IMO. If Butler or Harmon is there, you gotta take one of those guys. If they really like Michael Jordan, fine take him. But these guys will all go early in round 4. You move down, they are going to be gone and you might add a 5th rounder but the talent won't be nearly as impressive.

Also, I disagree that this is a terrible draft for WR...there may not be a lot of top end talent, but this is a very deep draft at WR.   

All good points. Not saying they should trade down, just thinking they might given they only have one more pick.  Just can’t see them coming away with only 5 picks.  And I do agree that Harmon/Butler are good value here in 4th.  I am not even sure Butler gets to the third pick.  My sense is that unless they take someone like Butler here early in the 4th, they’ll be looking for an Andre Roberts type who can return punts or kicks or contribute on specials as a gunner.  

If they do trade down, better be a haul, like  2 picks today, and a third next year.  

3 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

All good points. Not saying they should trade down, just thinking they might given they only have one more pick.  Just can’t see them coming away with only 5 picks.  And I do agree that Harmon/Butler are good value here in 4th.  I am not even sure Butler gets to the third pick.  My sense is that unless they take someone like Butler here early in the 4th, they’ll be looking for an Andre Roberts type who can return punts or kicks or contribute on specials as a gunner.  

If they do trade down, better be a haul, like  2 picks today, and a third next year.  

Don’t see an issue with 5 picks. Undrafted  class should be strong with possible real good depth signings available.

51 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Remember that signing FAs after May 7th no longer counts against comp picks...and they're cheaper. 

Draft the guy named Michael Jordan. So long as Macaggnan is throwing darts into the ******* ocean we might as well shoot for something cosmic.

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

TE's, too. That said, would rather use the 3rd pick to get a WR now, then have to wait till later. But it is deep.

37 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Arizona have already drafted 1 WR (and no OL ...). SF have drafted 2. Chance there could be a trade, I guess, but otherwise we can hopefully get one of the top prospects left.

Make it happen Macc! 

58 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I really don't understand the narrative that the Jets have a huge, immediate need at CB and would want to sign Mo Claiborne or draft a CB early in the 4th this year. In the future? Sure, CB might be a huge need. But not now. 

Jets fans might not like the players but Tru is here to stay and is penciled in as the #1. Gregg Williams is probably excited to reunite with him. Jets JUST signed Roberts and Poole. That's 3 CBs penciled in as starters. Then they have Nickerson, a young backup slot CB who looked good every chance he got to play. Jones and Robinson are lanky athletic and very fast young CBs who looked good when THEY were given the chance to play. I would NOT cut or put on PS any of those 3 young talented CBs b/c we drafted a CB in the 4th. Just saying. Unless the Jets REALLY like a CB and are ok with cutting Jones or Robinson (or putting them on PS if eligible)...I don't see them draft a CB or signing one at this point.  

I like Parry Nickerson from what I have seen but he needs to control his emotions when he is on the field - many bone headed penalties - he's like the Tasmanian devil on roller skates.

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

So you're going to play and really overpay the 2 Williamses and Anderson at DT? Whether the base is a 3-4 or a 4-3, that is how you get into cap trouble. 

Lee has zero value as a player, and may be less if teams look at the Jets' front 7 and see he really has no starting slot here. Some team who's scouting department liked him in his draft year might take a flyer, but they might as well wait for him to be cut. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

A sensible GM goes heavy on offense and the OL especially with the picks they have left. 

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Couple of thoughts entering day 3:

1) Darron Lee for a 5th or 6th seems right, since his cap value is good, and he has value particularly in passing/nickel/dime situations.  If they don’t get that, his cap value is reasonable for depth and they should hold onto him for special teams depth and for passing down situations.

2) I too am shocked by us not having drafted a center yet.  Lamont Gaillard and Michael Jordan are possibilities.  But the proof will be in the pudding.  Maybe they are higher on Jonathan Harrison than we have all believed.  They also have Jon Toth from Kentucky who has been a developmental player.  Macc has a history going back to the Texans of finding OL talent in late rounds or undrafted.  The OL play this year could very well be the flashpoint for whether Macc survives another year.

3) The 3rd round picks were very solid; Edoga will be a starter within a year, and has LT potential, but at the very least will be a RT or RG for us.  Also good to see that Brandon Shell was full practice at OTAs after the late season injury.  Polite is a boom/bust pick, but has talent as good as any of the guys in the first round... if you believe that his hamstring contributed to the poor 40 time, then the risk/reward was great in the 3rd round.  While round 2 picks have sucked, Macc has actually done well in Round 3 here, save the first year.  Jordan Jenkins, Chris Herndon are solid pieces.  Not 100% but it’s round 3 boom or bust and those two guys are pretty solid hits.  Hoping we see the same from these guys.

5) Keep in mind that the Jets had only 1 WR in for a visit this year... I love Butler as a prospect, but based on their visits, they seem to agree the WR class sucks.  On the other hand, they had 14+ RBs in for visits, so I would assume a RB will be among the picks today.  But Butler is very tempting and fills a need.  Good chance he’ll be one of the first off the board today.

Wide receivers class was not terrible in this draft.  There are a few good receivers left.  Butler and Missouri's Emanuel Hall are the best left followed by Ridley, Keelan Doss, Kelvin Harmon, and Stanley Morgan.

7 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Wide receivers class was not terrible in this draft.  There are a few good receivers left.  Butler and Missouri's Emanuel Hall are the best left followed by Ridley, Keelan Doss, Kelvin Harmon, and Stanley Morgan.

Tony....what do you think of DaMarcus Lodge from Ole Miss?

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Draft the guy named Michael Jordan. So long as Macaggnan is throwing darts into the ******* ocean we might as well shoot for something cosmic.

Michael Jordan, who plays Guard.  How can you go wrong with that? :)

He's actually my #1 target for this pick.  Best Interior OL left and I think he upgrades the depth and has a shot to start at C or G at some point.  It's really, really hard to find those guys by trade or FA compared to WR who seem to fall off trees every year.  I'd go Jordan.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Tony....what do you think of DaMarcus Lodge from Ole Miss?

He was underrated since playing with these top 2 receivers teammates. I like him but there are at least 8 receivers ahead of him

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Haven't had a drink since the SB. (Documented elsewhere....lol) down 30lbs....obviously made some other changes as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

He was underrated since playing with these top 2 receivers teammates. I like him but there are at least 8 receivers ahead of him

Tnx.

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Haven't had a drink since the SB. (Documented elsewhere....lol) down 30lbs....obviously made some other changes as well.

Good for you.😎

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Congrats happy for you working it all out. 

Here we are in 2019 and it's like the late 80's/early 90's with Michael Jordon and Michael Jackson being discussed.

Oh, and draft Hakeem Butler please.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

$11 x 3 and no caps given. 

They take the caps don't they. Bastards!! Don't they know people are counting caps?

33 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Michael Jordan, who plays Guard.  How can you go wrong with that? :)

He's actually my #1 target for this pick.  Best Interior OL left and I think he upgrades the depth and has a shot to start at C or G at some point.  It's really, really hard to find those guys by trade or FA compared to WR who seem to fall off trees every year.  I'd go Jordan.

Agree except that I would prefer Ross Pierchabacher. Better as a true C than Jordan. Jordan was playing C due to injury or something like that. 

Check out this tape.  He's playing against Simmons most of the game. around the 5 min to 6:30 mark it's exceptionally impressive against Simmons and handling the zone. Perfect for us.  He's my number one for this pick. 

Hakeem Butler is my preference.  Also like Ridley and Harmon.  Would be good with any WR with the 4th round pick.