Copernicus

Jachai Polite vs Chase Winovich

47 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Actually, what I posted is the common perception that is out there about Winovich.  The "hot take" as you put it is the nerd thing that you posted.  That's the first time I've heard that, or seen it posted anywhere.  Feel free to post any printed opinion that supports your position.  Should be interesting..  So yeah, toss your "hot take" and walk to the light.

You cut and pasted that off of Walter Football dot com.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We're already talking about the personality of a person neither of us has met based upon the opinions of other people neither of us has met and of whom many haven't met him either. And you're doing the old man yells at squirrels thing. So I will just take your word that your take is what everybody thinks and the minority opinion is overrepresented by the materials I've caught on him. You seem credible.

Perfect.  At least I posted printed material to reinforce my position.  All you have done is make a cute quip about old men and squirrels.  Posting that material about him being just a "nerd" would help your position.  I am looking forward to it.  Until then...…. 

By the way, almost all judgements we make here about players are based on written material and the opinions of others.  It is rare that we get to meet these players and have personal, one on one, interaction.  So, what's your point, other than just being argumentative??

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I think Polite has a higher ceiling than Winovich since he's more athletic. .

If Polite gets everything together he can be real steal here. Time will tell. I myself would have picked Win at this pick. Gotta love that full time hustle mode.

The ceiling/floor thing is dumb. Polite obviously is not a poor athlete. He really pops when you watch the games. But I don't know how to value adjectives. Winovich's athleticism is verified and quantified.

NFL football players should not have long hair.

Men who have shoulder-length hair should be riding horses on beaches (shirtless), and seducing unsatisfied Milfs. 

I’m glad we dodged Winovich and his glorious mane. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You cut and pasted that off of Walter Football dot com.

Scouting Report:

Excellent pass rush skills, with a variety of moves to get into the backfield. High motor player who shows up on every play. Lots of speed and finishes well. Able to drop back in coverage as needed. Some troubling maturity issues. Has great football character on the field, and doesn’t get into trouble, but can be over the top brash and talkative, which some teams may love and some may not

So?  And I pasted this one off DraftBlaster.  What's the point?  The TOm Shane draft personality report webpage was down, so I had no other choice. The thread was about Winovich and Polite and their comparative plusses and minuses.  The minuses of Polite have been documented by the press, and here by others, including you TOm.  What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

I raised a factual, common perception about Winovich in respect to his "character".  Is it only fair play when guys like you do it to Polite, and yet we should all sit by an nod our heads in agreement because it's the "Gospel of TOm Shane"?  I think not.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Scouting Report:

Excellent pass rush skills, with a variety of moves to get into the backfield. High motor player who shows up on every play. Lots of speed and finishes well. Able to drop back in coverage as needed. Some troubling maturity issues. Has great football character on the field, and doesn’t get into trouble, but can be over the top brash and talkative, which some teams may love and some may not

So?  And I pasted this one off DraftBlaster.  What's the point?  The TOm Shane draft personality report webpage was down, so I had no other choice. The thread was about Winovich and Polite and their comparative plusses and minuses.  The minuses of Polite have been documented by the press, and here by others, including you TOm.  What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

I raised a factual, common perception about Winovich in respect to his "character".  Is it only fair play when guys like you do it to Polite, and yet we should all sit by an nod our heads in agreement because it's the "Gospel of TOm Shane"?  I think not.

DraftBlaster

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Perfect.  At least I posted printed material to reinforce my position.  All you have done is make a cute quip about old men and squirrels.  Posting that material about him being just a "nerd" would help your position.  I am looking forward to it.  Until then...…. 

By the way, almost all judgements we make here about players are based on written material and the opinions of others.  It is rare that we get to meet these players and have personal, one on one, interaction.  So, what's your point, other than just being argumentative??

Focus on what we can do with the information that's available to us and understand that all of it is subject to information that isn't. None of this stuff is mutually exclusive. He can be a character and people can speculate about whether it's going to be an issue and that's fine. Then he gets drafted by Belichick, who is smarter and closer and more invested in the matter than the writers and sources. If I had concerns about that, I would probably reconsider them in light of that, which I think is the best piece of secondhand information I have access to. That's how I tend to think about things like this. If the whole crackpot deal works better for you, great.

The character knocks on Polite are pretty big, as he supposedly tried to rally other players against the coaching staff.

However the weight and combine stuff, seems to be explainable.  If he wanted to have a little more weight, and then hurt his hamstring that would explain both the poor athletic combine numbers along with the extra weight he was supposedly carrying in his midsection.

Either way, Polite has elite skills and a higher upside then Winovich.

As a side note on Winovich, apparently teams were concerned about him wanting to be a celebrity as much as a football player and he dated Madonna's daughter (briefly).  Thought his inflated ego could be an issue in the lockerroom.  Just something to think about

25 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The ceiling/floor thing is dumb. Polite obviously is not a poor athlete. He really pops when you watch the games. But I don't know how to value adjectives. Winovich's athleticism is verified and quantified.

As I mentioned I would have picked Win.   I really hope Polite works out but I don't care for players with "problems" like off field issues or laziness. With all the $$ involved if you can't be motivated I want no part of you.

14 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Focus on what we can do with the information that's available to us and understand that all of it is subject to information that isn't. None of this stuff is mutually exclusive. He can be a character and people can speculate about whether it's going to be an issue and that's fine. Then he gets drafted by Belichick, who is smarter and closer and more invested in the matter than the writers and sources. If I had concerns about that, I would probably reconsider them in light of that, which I think is the best piece of secondhand information I have access to. That's how I tend to think about things like this. If the whole crackpot deal works better for you, great.

You were doing great up until the last sentence.  Then you lost me.  As for the great Bellicheat, he has time and again proven that he has little to no regard to character.  Murderers, Drug Addicts, Malcontents, Misfits,  and the like, are his chosen "projects".  So there's that. He's also shown to be less than a Drafting Genius.  His plus is that he is a great coach with a superior system.  Drafting is not his strength.

As for the "crackpot" comment, I don't really know what you're getting at.  I didn't say I hate Winovich.  I actually liked him as a prospect.  All I said was that, considering the "reservations" attributed to the two players, my preference would be for Polite.  Obviously the Jets agree with me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

polite is 3 years younger (21 vs 24) but winovich is the safer prospect. florida pass rushers don’t have a great history in the pros either 

And it's a full 3 years. Polites ceiling is the Sistine chappel to winovich's egg shell white. No one ever said Winovich had first round talent, but just about everyone agrees Polite does. Mac swung for the fences. I like it. If the picks were reversed everyone would be singing BBs praises.

Remember the pats have a long-standing highly developed "system" to plug Winovich into. The Jets do not. The Jets need dogs. Don't for a second think that management hasn't already reached out to Adams and Mosely to ask them to help Polite understand the commitment needed to succeed (and I'm sure they will explain commitment and success will score him a second and bigger contract).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I keep hearing winovich is a safer pick but in reality he did not have much production in college. People like him because of his charisma maybe? Polite may have gotten fat and fallen off the deep end but at least there is tape pointing to his ability to be an explosive playmaker

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

This makes total sense and fascinates me the ingrained fear that most commentators have in criticizing New England but perfectly fine trashing the Jets.  Take for instance draft night, the commentators describing Polite as compared to Winovich. Polite gets absolutely trashed for a bad interview (this after the excuses for player punching a woman over and over earlier in the draft) fast foward to Winovich who gets praised for seeking out Madonna's daughter for a date at Michigan and this somehow is a positive in the eyes of the NFL.

Cant make this up

It's because many of these draft guys are all about the combine and measurable and sometimes forget that football is actually a game. Just because you aren't prepared or don't know what to expect from the combine doesn't mean you all of a sudden forgot to play football. Polite was unprepared and he is to blame for that, but I also blame the people around him that should know what to expect and get him ready. There are the draft guys that watch film and really love Polite. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of when I said I would follow Mauldin and Eli Harold’s career

man that was a waste of my time 

i prefer Winovich though 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Reminds me of when I said I would follow Mauldin and Eli Harold’s career

man that was a waste of my time 

i prefer Winovich though 

Polite had a much better college career than Mauldin, no? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Polite had a much better college career than Mauldin, no? 

I have no idea 

not comparing the players, just the situation

i wanted Harold, we got Mauldin, they both ended up sucking 

hope that doesn’t happen again 

Winovich is the typical Patriots late round pick. Most likely will be coached into a great player. Hes gonna be a pain in the a$$ to us for the next decade. 

Not a decade. In 4 years he’ll be one of the guys leaving NE for the big contract to suck for someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I have always preferred higher floor guys.   They sometimes become better than anyone thought they were capable of.

Meanwhile, boom or busts often wash out of the league in 3 or 4 years.

The Jets have to fill holes on the roster.  Boom or busts are luxury picks.  They can't afford the luxury.  They have to pay the rent.

Cross our fingers and hope Polite works out...

I disagree. I think the Jets have plenty of "low ceiling" guys. That's why they suck. If you have a team of "low ceiling" guys, it gets you 2nd round exit maybe a championship game. But you don't win the SB with a team full of "low ceiling" guys.

The key is to get as many guys as possible reaching their "high ceiling" potential; not maximizing "low ceiling" play.

• Upvote 1

Polite will end up being something between Lorenzo Mauldin and Dante Fowler. I just have no idea where in that range he’ll be. 

Polite Is going to be very good player. I think he’s a steal, and may play with a chip on his shoulder.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

IMO Winovich has a higher floor but a much lower  ceiling. The question is do you want a guaranteed (or highly likely) quality player or do you want to shoot the moon and take a risk.  Polite hasn't peaked yet physically, and needs to grow up. Winovich prepares better and has peaked. If Polite can get his act together (and that clearly is a risk), and get in shape he can be a play-maker for the next 5 years. Here is hoping...

Polite will probably not be a 3 down guy

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Basically the prototype NE Patriot draft pick.

they will want Winovich to mirror the smart slow LBs of the past they have had.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Polite will end up being something between Lorenzo Mauldin and Dante Fowler. I just have no idea where in that range he’ll be. 

Well I hope you are wrong.  Not very encouraging 

21 minutes ago, jack48 said:

they will want Winovich to mirror the smart slow LBs of the past they have had.

Imagine him being that but also being fast.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And it's a full 3 years. Polites ceiling is the Sistine chappel to winovich's egg shell white. No one ever said Winovich had first round talent, but just about everyone agrees Polite does. Mac swung for the fences. I like it. If the picks were reversed everyone would be singing BBs praises.

Remember the pats have a long-standing highly developed "system" to plug Winovich into. The Jets do not. The Jets need dogs. Don't for a second think that management hasn't already reached out to Adams and Mosely to ask them to help Polite understand the commitment needed to succeed (and I'm sure they will explain commitment and success will score him a second and bigger contract).

This is kind of the problem with dueling hot takes.

On one hand: Polite has spent the last five months torching whatever goodwill he used to have by being unprepared and unaccountable and generally doing everything in his power to convince potential employers that he isn't somebody that they'd care to work with. Polite the person is an issue in and of itself as well as rendering it impossible to get a full evaluation of Polite the player. It's not like there aren't issues on the field too. This is all you hear about because nobody gets past it, not because it's the only thing. Sistine Chapel is nonsense, but first round seems reasonable enough. We're still really only guessing about that at the conclusion of a process that is supposed to be less about establishing qualifications and more about finding the best fit from among qualified candidates, and nobody is even all that sold that this guy is going to show up on time.

On the other: VETERAN MENTORS THO

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

he really is too quick, if that is such a thing.  Charles Haley quick. Lacking Haley's footbll acumen, of course.  I am more worried about him getting kicked out of camp.  Macc does not like abusive males but whirlybirds are fine?

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

I disagree. I think the Jets have plenty of "low ceiling" guys. That's why they suck. If you have a team of "low ceiling" guys, it gets you 2nd round exit maybe a championship game. But you don't win the SB with a team full of "low ceiling" guys.

The key is to get as many guys as possible reaching their "high ceiling" potential; not maximizing "low ceiling" play.

I HATE baseball, but I am going to use that boring sport for an analogy.

By drafting these boom or busts after a 4 win season, the Jets are swinging for the fences down 5 runs with nobody on base.   They can't tie the game or take the lead without first getting some runners by drawing a walk and hitting a single or two.

Strikeouts= game over.

Polite wasn't the only one with "perception" problems.  Below is an opinion that has followed Winovich during the predraft process.   All things being equal, I'll take Polite, who admittedly had a faux paus, and has shown contrition, rather than some diva with a lower ceiling, who has yet to play a down in the NFL.  But that's just me.

Winovich is known to have a strong personality, and teams feel that he seems to relish media attention. His social media presence and relationships with other celebrities have teams wondering how his personality will fit in their locker rooms and how he will mesh with NFL coaches. There are a lot of teams that need to acquire young pass-rushing talent, and following a few productive years at Michigan, Winovich should be in demand in a draft class that does not have good pass-rushing depth for the second day of the draft. However, Winovich's personality issues are hurting him, and sources from multiple teams that need to get more pass-rushing help are pushing him lower because of the concerns about how he will mesh in their locker room. 

From surveying five teams, there was a big range for grades on Winovich. The highest that one team source said was they thought Winovich would go in the No. 50-75 range, which would make him a late second-round or early third-round pick. A few other teams said they graded Winovich in Round 3, and the lowest was one team that had him as a fourth- or fifth-rounder.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Personality-Issues-Hurting-Ed-Oliver-and-Chase-Winovich#ixzz5mJXytzFc

He has not been in Belicheat system yet, you know Bill will have on of his veterans put him right in his place. If that does not work, the. If he is worth the effort Bill will be all over him like white on rice. After that is ass will traded so quick his head won’t stop spinning until he have been with his new team for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I didnt hear any criticism of not taking Chase Winovich as compared to Jachai Polite. 

Draft Thread says hello.

7 hours ago, funaz said:

Exactly what BB desirrs

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Fu-k the Patriots, don't need to hear accolades for them on here!!

• Like 1

Chase Winovich is a gritty hard hat lunch pail player.... Blah blah blah.

F that dude. He'll fit right in with the cheats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Polite is a huge roll of the dice of which we all know will end as a bust.

The only hope is that Williams keeps him on the straight and narrow.

Patriots & Jets are in the same division. Patriots have been kicking our azz for 19 years except 2010. Polite will be compared to Winovich for years. 

Stories he'll hear? Pats are great, Winovich is a "safe" pick but will succeed like all slow white dudes succeed in the New England System, but Polite will crash & burn like most Jets because he's stupid, got fat & lazy and won't amount to anything.

How he proceeds with his career, training, workouts, learning will give us the answers as to who made the better pick. If he works hard, plays with a chip on his shoulder we might have picked the right guy. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1