Jump to content
Copernicus

Jachai Polite vs Chase Winovich

Recommended Posts

Where can I get me a Krafty lunch pail? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Patriots & Jets are in the same division. Patriots have been kicking our azz for 19 years except 2010. Polite will be compared to Winovich for years. 

Stories he'll hear? Pats are great, Winovich is a "safe" pick but will succeed like all slow white dudes succeed in the New England System, but Polite will crash & burn like most Jets because he's stupid, got fat & lazy and won't amount to anything.

How he proceeds with his career, training, workouts, learning will give us the answers as to who made the better pick. If he works hard, plays with a chip on his shoulder we might have picked the right guy. Time will tell.

If the pats had somehow traded up and taken Quinnen Williams it would be praised as the steal of the century, made by the genius hood master

the Jets take the same player, collective shrug 

side note if the Jets had done what the Giants did (trade Odell, Oliver vernon for Zeitler, Daniel Jones and a nose tackle ) we would never hear the end of it 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

IMO Winovich has a higher floor but a much lower  ceiling. The question is do you want a guaranteed (or highly likely) quality player or do you want to shoot the moon and take a risk.  Polite hasn't peaked yet physically, and needs to grow up. Winovich prepares better and has peaked. If Polite can get his act together (and that clearly is a risk), and get in shape he can be a play-maker for the next 5 years. Here is hoping...

I dont think his bust potential is as high as people think. he is motivated and added the weight on purpose according to the interview, then hurt his hamstring. I think he will be the better pro based on his college production against a great competition

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If the pats had somehow traded up and taken Quinnen Williams it would be praised as the steal of the century, made by the genius hood master

the Jets take the same player, collective shrug 

side note if the Jets had done what the Giants did (trade Odell, Oliver vernon for Zeitler, Daniel Jones and a nose tackle ) we would never hear the end of it 

Who on this board is mocking the Quinnen Williams pick?  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel a lot better about polite with Williams here that’s for sure 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We already have a Winovich in Jordan Jenkins. High motor, good player.

If Polite works out, that puts this D on a whole other level.

Never thought of it this way. I like this .......

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polite, they say is a head case, bad attitude, immature, and doesn’t respond well to being yelled at. Well maybe Mac didn’t put 2 and 2 together. Greg Williams likes to yell. Stupid pick... oh and Polite has an inconsistent motor. Of course Winovich went to NE. And for record winovich has an elite motor. I look at the intangibles.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Winovich and Polite will be playing against each other's teams for the foreseeable future.

We'll all get to see the wisdom of picking one or the other first hand.

I didn't want D at all this draft (yes, a bit extreme, I get it). 

But if we went D at that pick, I'd have taken Winovich over Polite.

Most here seem to feel the other way, and feel Polite is better and not the risk some say.  40 times, interviews, weight, etc. are all irrelevant now, the tape is all that matters.

So, as with everything this draft, we'll see.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We already have a Winovich in Jordan Jenkins. High motor, good player.

If Polite works out, that puts this D on a whole other level.

This, I think Jenkins and Polite make a better pair.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If the pats had somehow traded up and taken Quinnen Williams it would be praised as the steal of the century, made by the genius hood master

the Jets take the same player, collective shrug 

side note if the Jets had done what the Giants did (trade Odell, Oliver vernon for Zeitler, Daniel Jones and a nose tackle ) we would never hear the end of it 

Heard it on draft night. ESPN went out of their way to praise every pick.......until  Polite. Including defending a draft pick who on video  punched a women on the ground repeatedly. ESPN made Winovich's pursuit to date Madona's daughter somehow a positive for drafting him. I wonder how it would have been portrayed if it were Polite's dating history that was reported. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polite creates turnovers, which is a big Williams thing 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Heard it on draft night. ESPN went out of their way to praise every pick.......until  Polite. Including defending a draft pick who on video  punched a women on the ground repeatedly. ESPN made Winovich's pursuit to date Madona's daughter somehow a positive for drafting him. I wonder how it would have been portrayed if it were Polite's dating history that was reported. 

if the Jets didn't exist the league would have to create them 

they are the Iron Sheikhs of the NFL 

the team you love to hate 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, NYs Stepchild said:

Winovich is a crafty lunch pail type of blue collar player. 

A throwback, eh? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I HATE baseball, but I am going to use that boring sport for an analogy.

By drafting these boom or busts after a 4 win season, the Jets are swinging for the fences down 5 runs with nobody on base.   They can't tie the game or take the lead without first getting some runners by drawing a walk and hitting a single or two.

Strikeouts= game over.

I disagree with your analogy because the premise "boom or bust after a 4-win season" seems a) not accurate: Q Williams and not a boom or bust guy and he's the major asset of this draft, b) your premise ignores all the moves they made in free agency, and c) I think it's exactly the right thing to do to draft a boom or bust guy in the third round, since it's much less of a sure thing even if you chose a "low ceiling" player.

Moreover, I think the Jets absolutely need players who are booms. Having a bunch of "meh" players is only going to take you so far...in the BEST case scenarios. So, I'd rather see them take some chances in the draft rather than settling for 'hold the fort' guys.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We already have a Winovich in Jordan Jenkins. High motor, good player.

If Polite works out, that puts this D on a whole other level.

Winovich is like Jordan Jenkins if Jordan Jenkins was athletic 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the end, it's hard to compare the two, apples-to-apples, because one of them will play for a team with a demonstrated and virtually perpetual history of winning and the other will play for the Jets.

As Bum Phillips said: "he's a great coach [Belicheat in this case] because he can takes his and beat you and he could takes your'n and beat you..." or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Winovich is like Jordan Jenkins if Jordan Jenkins was athletic 

Eh. Only difference in scouting reports is .3 in a 40 time. All things considered, Jenkins is an effort guy like Winovich. And oh hey they both got drafted in the 3rd. 

Bigger issue is that the Pats hit the draft out of the park for the most part this year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Heard it on draft night. ESPN went out of their way to praise every pick.......until  Polite. Including defending a draft pick who on video  punched a women on the ground repeatedly. ESPN made Winovich's pursuit to date Madona's daughter somehow a positive for drafting him. I wonder how it would have been portrayed if it were Polite's dating history that was reported. 

Exactly, they made it seem like Simmons was really a great guy who just happened to pummel a woman laying on the ground with a barrage from his fists while the dastardly Polite did not interview well......;)

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 5:35 PM, Lith said:

Polite has the higher ceiling.  Winvoich the higher floor.  I am glad we took the risk on the guy with the higher ceiling.  Seems we usually go the safer route.

Agree. Nice to see us risk a bit. We have our safe, reliable, lunch-pail type guy in Jordan Jenkins who is actually pretty underrated at this point. A player like Polite opposite could make JJ even more effective and vice-versa

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polite has 'motor issue', or in realistic terms, Polite doesn't really want to play NFL football. He's acknowledged this. In my eyes, a prospect who doesn't want to play is undraftable. Plus, who shows p to the combine fat and out of shape. He's going to be a Joe McKnight type player. All the upside but is too lazy to put it all together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DjHoldyHold said:

Polite has 'motor issue', or in realistic terms, Polite doesn't really want to play NFL football. He's acknowledged this. In my eyes, a prospect who doesn't want to play is undraftable. Plus, who shows p to the combine fat and out of shape. He's going to be a Joe McKnight type player. All the upside but is too lazy to put it all together. 

Alshon Jeffrey says your take is wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Alshon Jeffrey says your take is wrong 

These are kids.  They aren't robots that can be counted on to do the same thing every time.  A kid that seems like he is lazy may have a change of heart and give his all.  Another that seems like a high character guy turns dog after he gets his contract.  That is why interviews are so important. 

Alshon Jeffery had two big years, but his rookie year was pretty bad and he was considered  to be headed toward bust before he dedicated himself in the offseason.  His career hasn't been all sunshine and roses either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Exactly, they made it seem like Simmons was really a great guy who just happened to pummel a woman laying on the ground with a barrage from his fists while the dastardly Polite did not interview well......;)

 

Be interested to know how Robin Roberts handled the Simmons story on ABC.....if she was so forgiving and compassionate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my eyes on Winovich also because of hearing Bart rave about trading into the 2nd round to get it. Was initially very disappointed to see us go elsewhere and the Pats draft their next Nicovich (spelling?) 

BUT, the more I've read about Polite, i.e. higher bust potential, riskier pick but if he's good he is going to be REALLY good. I can't knock Mac as much as I have for playing it safe and taking Q and not get behind him swinging for the fences with this pick. I'm 100% behind Polite and praying for the best. I'm REALLY hoping that we have a coaching staff that is going to get this kid significant 1st team snaps this summer and not regulate him to limited snaps behind the likes of Brandon Copeland's of the world. 

🙏🙏🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We already had a Tiny Linebacker.  We needed a Fat Backer.  Winovich didn't fit our scheme.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, BurnleyJet said:

Polite Is going to be very good player. I think he’s a steal, and may play with a chip on his shoulder.

After watching his game tape, I agree.  The combine prep and performance are head scratchers to be sure.  Hopefully more of a one time lapse rather than a trait. It seems like he was in shape when his coaching staff were on top of him.  The Jets need to try and change his training/diet mindset and watch him like a hawk.  He looks like he is all motor all the time with excellent technique.  Could be an absolute beast.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to Polite becoming a superstar and watching him walk in FA for nothing in four years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more excited about the Polite pick than QW, tbh.

It's kind of a unique situation because guys who tests so poorly very rarely make it as pass rusher, but I think Polite was just overwhelmed throughout the whole interview and workout process. Mismanaged his weight and injured his hammy, seemed like he has little football related guidance to turn to besides his agent.

Huge risk either way but I'm glad it's finally taken on an edge player with legit talent.  Watching him play he looks quick and flexible, get Polite back to ~240 and let him get comfortable. QW and Polite are still only 21 years old, both can be impact players.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MindOverMatter said:

I'm more excited about the Polite pick than QW, tbh.

It's kind of a unique situation because guys who tests so poorly very rarely make it as pass rusher, but I think Polite was just overwhelmed throughout the whole interview and workout process. Mismanaged his weight and injured his hammy, seemed like he has little football related guidance to turn to besides his agent.

Huge risk either way but I'm glad it's finally taken on an edge player with legit talent.  Watching him play he looks quick and flexible, get Polite back to ~240 and let him get comfortable. QW and Polite are still only 21 years old, both can be impact players.

 

 

it would have been interesting to see what his numbers would have been at his ideal weight.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, rammagen said:

I dont think his bust potential is as high as people think. he is motivated and added the weight on purpose according to the interview, then hurt his hamstring. I think he will be the better pro based on his college production against a great competition

He is more motivated now than before the draft?  Adding weight caused him to be a slug and to injure his hamstring?  Maybe, but what is his excuse for being the unanimous worst interview at the combine.

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Winovich is like Jordan Jenkins if Jordan Jenkins was athletic 

Jenkins lack of athleticism is overstated.  I used to think so too, but he was like top 15 LB in 2016. He is big and heavy, but very long (reach/wingspan).  He ran a bad 40 and 3 cone.  His shuttle was eh, but he was good in the jumps and his 10' split was pretty good. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jordan-jenkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it would have been interesting to see what his numbers would have been at his ideal weight.

His playing weight seemed to be around 240, obviously showing up at 260 or whatever and having a bad hammy hurt his number but his benchpress was pretty bad so not like his hamstring affected that.

Probably could have ran like a 4.6 with much better 10 yard and cone drills, coming off the line he looked explosive. Especially in games like LSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...