Copernicus

Jachai Polite vs Chase Winovich

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I like everything about the Polite pick except for the fact that they took him ahead of Winovich. 

Winovich is such a Patriots pick, he's like an instantly better Ninkovich.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:31 PM, #27TheDominator said:

He is more motivated now than before the draft?  Adding weight caused him to be a slug and to injure his hamstring?  Maybe, but what is his excuse for being the unanimous worst interview at the combine.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jordan-jenkins

did you listen to his interview? did you hear him talk? I ask because you seem to be discounting his stats at UF. His production is there, it shows in the game film if he did not bomb at the combine he would not have been there and would have been a top 20 pick.

This is before the combine

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jachai-polite

and he had dropped weight to get quickness before the yr started for him.  And even if he was the worst interview in combine history that has little to do with his on field play.  It showed in college it is up to him to make the transition to the NFL and make it show there. Boom or bust pick but because he came from a high level program and produced for 2 yrs I dont think his bust potential is as high as people think.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rammagen said:

did you listen to his interview? did you hear him talk? I ask because you seem to be discounting his stats at UF. His production is there, it shows in the game film if he did not bomb at the combine he would not have been there and would have been a top 20 pick.

This is before the combine

and he had dropped weight to get quickness before the yr started for him.  And even if he was the worst interview in combine history that has little to do with his on field play.  It showed in college it is up to him to make the transition to the NFL and make it show there. Boom or bust pick but because he came from a high level program and produced for 2 yrs I dont think his bust potential is as high as people think.

I am no expert on the prospect.  I acknowledge that he might hit, but the idea that his bust potential isn't that high? C'mon.  I heard an interview with him.  It wasn't horrific, but I am talking about his team interviews.  Teams were telling the press he was awful.  The interviews relate to mental prepartion, coachability and the ability to be a good teammate. It was what Mangini was supposed to be good at.

I read the draft reports on him.  He was considered an undersized speed/finesse rusher.  If he isn't fast, he isn't going to be particularly good.  It seems pretty likely that he isn't going to be an every down 3-4 OLB since he can't run at the heavier weight.  He didn't produce for 2 years.  He was as much a 1-year wonder as there is.  Why do you think he produced for 2 years?  He was as good in 2016 as 2017. 

• Upvote 1

Polite has a nice first step and multiple pass rush moves

nice pick by whoever made it

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, KRL said:

Excellent point.  Watching Polite on tape and you see everything you want
in an edge rusher:

- Speed
- Bend
- Ability to flatten and close on the QB
- Ability to convert speed to power
- When he's stopped on a rush he has the ability to change his plan
and continue pushing forward
- A "Dwight Freeney" spin move

Quinnen Williams & Polite can make this defense scary if they hit

I’m loving this draft

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m loving this draft

I’m Loving this draft too. All except the last pick (Thought they should of went WR) but hey 6thround pick rarely make it any way.

BC4D5F41-053C-4C4B-9EBC-C2023D258AA7.jpeg

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am no expert on the prospect.  I acknowledge that he might hit, but the idea that his bust potential isn't that high? C'mon.  I heard an interview with him.  It wasn't horrific, but I am talking about his team interviews.  Teams were telling the press he was awful.  The interviews relate to mental prepartion, coachability and the ability to be a good teammate. It was what Mangini was supposed to be good at.

I read the draft reports on him.  He was considered an undersized speed/finesse rusher.  If he isn't fast, he isn't going to be particularly good.  It seems pretty likely that he isn't going to be an every down 3-4 OLB since he can't run at the heavier weight.  He didn't produce for 2 years.  He was as much a 1-year wonder as there is.  Why do you think he produced for 2 years?  He was as good in 2016 as 2017. 

Th reason i say his bust potential is not  that high is because of the level of competition he played against and produced, he is not from a small college or conference, when you take that into consideration he is a boom or bust but because of where and whom he played against. you do realize he played 3 yrs at UF and each yr his tackles increased while sacks stayed the same he played in less games. his weakness is pass coverage/run defense. I am not saying he is going to be great or be a bust but when you look at the tools and his body of work I would say what I said. You disagree fine

There was a reason a guy that before the combine was considered a top prospect and was there in day two and you are harping on that bad combine and interview I can give a crap about bad interviews look at this list of players that had bad interviews and combine work outs. I hope as every Jet fan should that he falls in with the latter

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1970024-10-nfl-stars-who-overcame-terrible-combine-performances#slide4

his stats and some articles

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jachai-polite-1.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-florida/article217788375.html

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2019 at 9:43 AM, Hael said:

Winovich is like Ninkovich reincarnated.  I was hoping we would get him.  I like Polite as well but I think he should have been drafted a round later.

Well, they sure do like their vich's and owski's up there in NE.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Polite has a nice first step and multiple pass rush moves

nice pick by whoever made it

The Jets took him.

:D

On 4/28/2019 at 5:19 AM, ElBarrioJets said:

We already have a Winovich in Jordan Jenkins. High motor, good player.

If Polite works out, that puts this D on a whole other level.

So you're saying with these two picks of Quinnen and Polite the Jets can shift their attention to drafting offense next year?

bill-murray-2.gif.026660000e9593590b6f4413f9ccb2f5.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So you're saying with these two picks of Quinnen and Polite the Jets can shift their attention to drafting offense next year?

bill-murray-2.gif.026660000e9593590b6f4413f9ccb2f5.gif

God I hope so brother haha

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, bostonmajet said:

IMO Winovich has a higher floor but a much lower  ceiling. The question is do you want a guaranteed (or highly likely) quality player or do you want to shoot the moon and take a risk.  Polite hasn't peaked yet physically, and needs to grow up. Winovich prepares better and has peaked. If Polite can get his act together (and that clearly is a risk), and get in shape he can be a play-maker for the next 5 years. Here is hoping...

I watched Winovich play all his time at U of M. Every Game. To say he has "peaked" is extremely misinformed. The guy is a tough and solid player who will be a pretty good NFL player. I get it, he's a Patriot now and is automatically disliked but to say he has peaked is just plain wrong.

Polite, as mentioned above is a feast or famine type guy. I think Winovich was the choice there but time will tell.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:00 PM, Rolloffjet said:

I’m Loving this draft too. All except the last pick (Thought they should of went WR) but hey 6thround pick rarely make it any way.

BC4D5F41-053C-4C4B-9EBC-C2023D258AA7.jpeg

Anyone who actually is watching type of Polite the guy can clearly play.  The question is his attitude hopefully the negative press motivates him

• Upvote 1

Since Polite has at least a chance of someday knocking the holy crap out of Tom Brady while Winovich does  not, by definition, Polite has a higher ceiling 

• Upvote 1