Addition of Trevon Wesco bad news for Eric Tomlinson

JetNation

Baylor-27.jpg

With the 19th pick in the fourth round of the NFL draft, the Jets took tight end/H-back/fullback Trevon Wesco, whose addition is likely the end of Eric Tomlinson’s time with the Jets.

Trevon Wesco…Eric Tomlinson's replacement? pic.twitter.com/0d4yKjVRW7

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) April 27, 2019

A player who didn’t see many targets in college, the 6′ 3” 267 lb Wesco is surprisingly nimble with the ball in his hands and is a load to bring down.  After a down season in 2018, Tomlinson was re-signed for what would likely be an audition in 2019 and Wesco becomes his primary competition.

The post Addition of Trevon Wesco bad news for Eric Tomlinson appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
0XHnT_66_fc

Click here to read the full story...

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Wasn't  there another  TE on the roster that played even less than Tomlinson?

Leggett played more than Tomlinson and became a decent run blocker. Ranked pretty well by PFF too. If Herndon, Leggett and Wesco lock down the 3 TE spots that’s a really good job by Macc recreating the position depth chart.

This video shows Wesco's strong blocking ability and his potential as a receiver. 

A solid #3 TE with the potential to be more.

Download video
Download video

From this video, which shows Wesco's receiving ability, leads me to conclude he and Herndon could  be featured in 2 TE sets.

Download video

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Baldy with a glowing review of Wesco in this film review:

He's an athletic OL receiver!  I'm impressed with Wesco and that's why I posted videos showing his blocking and receiving prowess.

Baby Gronk is Baldy's nickname for Wesco.  Appropriate indeed.

Like Baldy...I love this pick!

My daughter goes to WVU and I watched every game this past season, attending 3 in person.

Wesco was my favorite player on a team of offensive stars.  He is a total beast that punishes defenses when he blocks or when they try to tackle him.

I'm thrilled that the Jets drafted him.  He can be a fixture for years to come.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

You could of gotten Wesco later on the draft. A good blocker but was not used in the passing game. Had TE ahead of him when he got drafted. 

Not used? lol.  Try watching the video above.

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sterling makes the team while Herndon serves his time.  When Herndon returns we will see who gets cut or IR'd to make room for him.  

That's right. I actually forgot about Herndon's two game suspension. At least I hope it's only two games.  

Sterling may not even make it that far. That guy is certainly on his last opportunity in the NFL.  I'd agree they will probably hold on to him at least through the suspension of Herndon. Afterward having Legget, Herndon and Wesco will be more than fine at the position. That's a solid group right there. 

I think Wesco ends up being the best of the bunch. We're going to be really happy we have this guy in the not too distant future. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You haters all said that Maccagnan was incapable of improving the roster but behold doubters he has upgraded from Eric Tomlinson 

He probably hasn't helped much but the roster's not his fault just like it wasn't Idzik's fault.

I mean look at this:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/141/NYJ

SMU was in better shape after the death penalty. Rebuilding is one thing, coming back from literally nothing is another. The drafting has not been great but what do people really think the expected return on eleven day 3 picks looks like? Three decent players instead of one? The Browns were in this quagmire forever until they turned three high picks in two years into Garrett, Mayfield, and Ward and they still needed to turn another one into Odell Beckham to hopefully crack that elusive .500.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

He probably hasn't helped much but the roster's not his fault just like it wasn't Idzik's fault.

I mean look at this:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/141/NYJ

SMU was in better shape after the death penalty. Rebuilding is one thing, coming back from literally nothing is another. The drafting has not been great but what do people really think the expected return on eleven day 3 picks looks like? Three decent players instead of one? The Browns were in this quagmire forever until they turned three high picks in two years into Garrett, Mayfield, and Ward and they still needed to turn another one into Odell Beckham to hopefully crack that elusive .500.

OMG and that roster ended up costing so much it needed to be torn down. 

Archived