Jonotthan Harrison is our starting center?

PS17

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

A 4 win team can't fix every problem in one off season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Except he's had 5 offseasons.

The problem with everyone being critical of those viewing this draft class with strict scrutiny is that this draft is a product of everything he's ever done. It's not singular, and Macaggnan has done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt from any of you.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

Well sure, no one is going to cut their opening day starter... But there will be some cap casualties and roster crunch guys that pop up. It happens every year, so I'm just crossing my fingers that maybe one of those is a center with some experience or potential.

I'm not sure I really want him, but A.Q. Shipley in Arizona for example... He's 33 and he busted his ACL before last season. Rookie Mason Cole played well and cemented himself as the starter... They also drafted another center in the draft this year.

So now Ship will be heading into camp looking to fight for a backup role.

He's only making I think 2 million, so he will probably stick with them, but it's just an example of someone who -could- start, with some question marks. 

Wasn't Cole like a 3-5th round pick?  Just asking.?

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Except he's had 5 offseasons.

are you asking me should Mac have been fired already? Hell yeah. There's nothing Bowles did as a coach that was as bad as Mac's construction of the roster

even if Mac was good they can't fix all the problems in one offseason 

the expectations around here are way too high for a crappy team in the same division as the cheating SB champs. They changed the jerseys and that's great but let's be real .500 and no one getting fired would be best case scenario for 2019 

rome was not built in a day 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BCJet said:

We also have Jonathon Toth a young center from Kentucky.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-jon-toth-c-kentucky 

I think he makes the team and makes an impact. he was hurt and was not drafted and was cut on the last day by the eagles before we signed him. I look forward to him taking the job away from JH

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have no centers.

Our guards look decent but we don;t know.

Our mediocre RT is coming off a bad injury and our LT is totally meh.

Add an injury or so onto of it and we are totally pooched.

All the lovely off season acquisitions we are all excited about will not mean a thing if simian is our starter due to oiline neglect.

It's even more than that, if our highly touted offseason primary weapon for Darnold, Bell, averages 2.0 Yards per carry, the usual yokels will scream about Bell and ignore that RB's are literally made by their O-lines.

The O-line isn't just to keep our single most vital player (Darnold) upright and productive, it's also to make our single most vital offensive weapon (Bell) being what Bell has been historically.  

Maybe folks are right, and our line is "good enough".  We'll see.  If Darnold is running for his life like he did last year, and if Bell isn't Bell of years past, it's probably because the O-Line isn't very good.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jets723 said:

But they didn’t neglect it. The got a pro bowler is Osemele and drafted OL in the 3rd round.  Harrison actually played decent when he took over from Long

Harrison was able to execute a shotgun snap, which is a minimum positional job requirement. His blocking is worse than Longs. The Jets had Harrison on the roster when they felt compelled to sign Long. Harrison didn't get better since then. Were in the same position we've been in since Mangold retired...without a starting level Center.....

Jets72bf in 3...2....1....

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's even more than that, if our highly touted offseason primary weapon for Darnold, Bell, averages 2.0 Yards per carry, the usual yokels will scream about Bell and ignore that RB's are literally made by their O-lines.

The O-line isn't just to keep our single most vital player (Darnold) upright and productive, it's also to make our single most vital offensive weapon (Bell) being what Bell has been historically.  

Maybe folks are right, and our line is "good enough".  We'll see.  If Darnold is running for his life like he did last year, and if Bell isn't Bell of years past, it's probably because the O-Line isn't very good.  Time will tell.

Drafting a Franchise QB......

3 2nd rounders and around 30 million dollars.

Signing an All Pro, game changing Running back?

Around 52 Million Dollars...

Throwing an All Pro Guard in with a mishmash group of underperforming linemen and calling it a day?

PRICELESS.

20190428_115318.thumb.jpg.ef3daf33a44e1563842ca4522597abec.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Erik McCoy went 48th overall to the Saints after they traded up to get him. Would have likely stepped in and started for the Jets at center. We were told they had interest.

Saints acquired 48 and 116 (482 points) for  62, 202, and a future 2 (436.2 assuming the future 2 is valued as half this year rather than down a round which is the higher value).

What would you have been willing to give up in draft capital to get ahead of where the Saints got to move up for McCoy? I think something like 68 and a future 2 but getting a 4 back would have been pretty fair relative to what the Saints gave up (presumably the Jets’ future 2 has more value than the Saints’, chart or not) and I would’ve had no issue giving that up for McCoy.

2 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Well sure, no one is going to cut their opening day starter... But there will be some cap casualties and roster crunch guys that pop up. It happens every year, so I'm just crossing my fingers that maybe one of those is a center with some experience or potential.

I'm not sure I really want him, but A.Q. Shipley in Arizona for example... He's 33 and he busted his ACL before last season. Rookie Mason Cole played well and cemented himself as the starter... They also drafted another center in the draft this year.

So now Ship will be heading into camp looking to fight for a backup role.

He's only making I think 2 million, so he will probably stick with them, but it's just an example of someone who -could- start, with some question marks. 

The question is whether Ship is even an upgrade over Harrison.  I'm not sure about that.  The Cards drafted Cole for a reason last year.

55 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

No but I think Winters is the o-lineman closest to the door and the most replaceable.

i suspect they groom the USC tackle as the swing guy this year and then beachums job next. Mac will resign Shell and tell us all what a great pick he was.  Moving Edoga to guard might set back that plan.

Also Winters is like a cockroach after nuclear winter you just can't kill the dude. played every snap last season. they do need to replace him too but it's not a priority 

Just now, bitonti said:

i suspect they groom the USC tackle as the swing guy this year and then beachums job next. Moving him to guard might set back that plan. Also Winters is like a cockroach after nuclear winter you just can't kill the dude. played every snap last season. they do need to replace him too but it's not a priority 

Completelt agree with this. He’ll be pushing Shell, and subbing in for Beechum. They’ll know by years end if his future is LT or RT.

My guess is starting RT.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Vader said:

we’ve had two HOF caliber centers in Mawae and Mangold. We are spoiled. You don’t ned HOF caliber centers. 

Good teams win with regular centers. Harrison is regular. He’s a center. Get ball to QB. That is all.

Thank you. 

Exactly, the line play was much better with Harrison at Center after Bowles finally benched Richard Kimble. 

16 hours ago, Jets723 said:

But they didn’t neglect it. The got a pro bowler is Osemele and drafted OL in the 3rd round.  Harrison actually played decent when he took over from Long

Plus they got him the best RB money can buy  which will take a lot of pressure off of Sam.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Plus they got him the best RB money can buy  which will take a lot of pressure off of Sam.

Agreed.  Look I try to be fair.  Did we fill every hole?  Of course not but that was never gonna happen in one offseason.  I admit I wanted Paradis but the injury concern may of been a factor plus I heard he just didnt want to come to a major city.  I do think Macc liked McGovern and may have felt he would keep falling. 

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Completelt agree with this. He’ll be pushing Shell, and subbing in for Beechum. They’ll know by years end if his future is LT or RT.

My guess is starting RT.

Tom Compton has RT experience and extremely similar measurable to Brandon Shell btw 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/brandon-shell

Could also see Mac asking Pollack to flip Shell to LT like Eugene Monroe (*and Gase not particularly caring*)

never underestimate Mac's willingness to turn the Brandon Shell draft pick into a success story  

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  Look I try to be fair.  Did we fill every hole?  Of course not but that was never gonna happen in one offseason.  I admit I wanted Paradis but the injury concern may of been a factor plus I heard he just didnt want to come to a major city.  I do think Macc liked McGovern and may have felt he would keep falling. 

I think Paradis would have made the FA period a home run but he didn’t want to be here. He wanted a country lifestyle and took less money to live it. 

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think Paradis would have made the FA period a home run but he didn’t want to be here. He wanted a country lifestyle and took less money to live it. 

Exactly. Same thing with Barr. Although Barr handled it unprofessionaly

Let’s see. Here’s another option:

develop the decently young and cheap as salt center that stabilizes the line late last year.

thats how organizations win. 

Not by drafting and paying HOF centers in round 1. And def not by signing FA centers.

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The question is whether Ship is even an upgrade over Harrison.  I'm not sure about that.  The Cards drafted Cole for a reason last year.

Ya I'm not convinced of that either... His knees could be shot.

But he was just sort of an example that I came across months ago. There are probably a couple other situations like that as well that might pop up. 

Definitely not saying it's likely we find someone this way, but it does seem like there are one or two useful castoffs each year. Just hoping maybe one is someone who can come in and at least compete or backup our C "group"... 

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

i suspect they groom the USC tackle as the swing guy this year and then beachums job next. Mac will resign Shell and tell us all what a great pick he was.  Moving Edoga to guard might set back that plan.

Also Winters is like a cockroach after nuclear winter you just can't kill the dude. played every snap last season. they do need to replace him too but it's not a priority 

the plan was to try to replace him this offseason if a deal was able to be swung but so far they havent forced the issue.. i think youll see that move next year, unless by chance Chuma impresses and beats out shell, there was talk about kicking shell inside to G. that is also a possibility. 

We need to see what vets get cut by their respective teams to patch work together the rest of the line this year.  The line started to play better last year when sam came back, combine that with osemele who is a massive upgrade to long and carpenter at LG also the new OL coach who is excellent.  could wokrout better than we think

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-c-jonotthan-harrison-my-goal-is-to-enter-the-season-as-starter

Jets C Jonotthan Harrison: My Goal Is to Enter the Season as Starter

IMG_6717-greenberg-head
Ethan Greenberg

Team Reporter

x8vca9mr0dn7lf90cg1d.jpg

After starting eight games at center for the Jets last season, Jonotthan Harrison is looking to turn pencil into pen.

“For now, my goal is to enter the season as the starter, take it one step at a time from there,” Harrison said. “I have my other personal goals, but that’s my large one right now. I’m going on Year 6. I’ve had my years starting and I’ve had my years where I didn’t start as much. My goal is to definitely enter this season as a starter and earn my credibility as a lineman.”

In order to cement his spot, the 6’4”, 300-pounder is striving for consistency both on the field and in the classroom to make the sure the line is always on the same page. Even though Harrison has never played in a system like head coach Adam Gase’s attack, he believes the up-tempo style suits him well.

“It’s perfect,” he said with a smile. “When I was first looking at this offense, I was intimidated. I was like, ‘Man, this is so different. I have to get used to this.’ Then after going on the field and putting it together, everything clicked. This could be my bread and butter for sure. I’m really excited to see how this pans out.”

Gase said the Florida product did a “great” job leading the offensive line in the spring and believes quarterback Sam Darnold trusts Harrison up front. The duo gained playing experience down the stretch in 2018, starting the final four games together.

“He’ll trust me to take care of certain things that he doesn’t need to stress about,” said Harrison about his relationship with the second-year signal-caller. “He’ll tell me, ‘You do this, you do this, you get the line on the right page.’ He trusts me with that and it’s a good sign. It shows the connection that we have and that chemistry can go a long way.”

Not only do Gase and Darnold both like what Harrison brings to the offensive line, but OL coach Frank Pollack also praised Harrison for his work ethic.

“He’s a very smart player, he’s working his butt off,” Pollack said. “This guy is a grinder. I like the way he works. He is a pro in that regard. The biggest compliment I can give anyone in the room is he’s a pro’s pro, the way he prepares himself and carries himself. Talent level really has nothing to do with that. For me, it’s about how they work and how they prepare every day, and he’s right at the top of the list in that.”

• Upvote 1