Can somebody explain these day 3 picks?

While I always think BAP strategy is bullsh*t early there’s nothing else to go by now. Any player who contributes from these rounds is a bonus - You can’t expect to fill immediate needs on day 3.

Both guys seemed to be rated higher than where they went. No issue with either.

• Upvote 4

The Jets have a longstanding problem in terms of roster composition because of bad drafting and regime changes which has left us without any kind of sustainable talent base. Obviously we have to just plain draft better but beyond that there needs to be a clear focus on significantly increasing the number of rookie contracts on the depth chart. So what we're looking for from these guys is that they stick for reasons beyond the fact that we don't have anything better to do with a roster spot. You can probably figure out what the minimums would be from these guys as well as the upside.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

To be fair, I like what Mac did round 1 and 3. I have 0 clue why you pick a blocking TE and backup ILB when there is legit players on the board that fill needs.

Can somebody way smarter than me please explain the logic here?

We needed OLine help in pass and run blocking. 

We traded for Osemele, drafted an athletic aggressive run blocking RT  with the talent to become a top pass protecting RT. 

And we added a mean nasty pass/run blocking TE who is just starting to scratch the surface as a pass catcher (and we already have an outstanding pass catching TE). Sam and Bell are going to love him  

So while I didn’t love the pick I understand it. 

The Cashman pick I don’t get but I didn’t watch him in college so I’m hoping he becomes a poor mam’s Luke Keuchly. 

Thats the best I can do. 

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Macc is doing it to get back at da ilk for bad mouthing him on JN.

He's also mad @joewilly12 for shirt gate.

Truth be told Macc was in Brooklyn one night and had a flat tire, a guy in a ratty Jets jacket stumbling down the street drinking a 40oz Colt 45 stopped and offered to help him Mac overcome by the odor of beer,cigarettes and body odor insisted he was good but instead you insisted and vomited on his shoes while trying to loosen the lug nuts. Turns out it was you. 

Doing what the smart teams do, picking guys that fit roles for this team.  

They must be high on Harrison.  The odds of finding a starting O-lineman at this point in the draft is slim.  It's not like they rotate O-Lineman, so If you're taking an o-lineman who cant beat out your starter, what are you really getting?  A guy who will play 0 snaps and probably be inactive all season barring injury.  

They took a blocking TE, and a 3rd Down Linebacker/Special teamer with the outside chance of him being our regular weakside Linebacker.  These guys fit roles and can contribute to the team immediately even if they're not starters.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

To be fair, I like what Mac did round 1 and 3. I have 0 clue why you pick a blocking TE and backup ILB when there is legit players on the board that fill needs.

Who are these “legit” players the Jets are overlooking? Most third day picks turn out to be nobodies. 

14 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

^Pretty much. For the better part of the decade, maybe more, we've had guys on rookie contracts solely because they were ambulatory and on a rookie contract. It would be nice to roster some players who were actually worthy of playing time. 

Yup. Most of our roster for the last 10+ years hasn't been composed of NFL caliber talent. Just bodies.

28 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Good and Bad Mac.  Why pick a TE like Wesco who is not a receiver. Go get Galliard to play center. He was 1st team all Sec Center . This was a disaster.  Now the Good.  Cashman is too good not to take. You going to love this guy. Plays like Luke Kuechly and is a leader. 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Modern football has a lot of sub packages.   They think these players fit needs in those packages.  It's not hard.  If you don't agree with it, so be it. 

Thats fine as long as you have a starting core of 22 NFL calibre players in place. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In Rounds 4-7, what are you more likely to find?  A starting caliber core player or a solid role player?

In my opinion there were some really decent players on the board that would have filled a glaring need for us. 

WR Hakeem Butler being 1 of them. 

16 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Good and Bad Mac.  Why pick a TE like Wesco who is not a receiver. Go get Galliard to play center. He was 1st team all Sec Center . This was a disaster.  Now the Good.  Cashman is too good not to take. You going to love this guy. Plays like Luke Kuechly and is a leader. 

But Wesco is a receiver.  He caught 26 balls out of 30 targets for a 12.2 yard average..  Kid has great hands.  He just wasn't used as a receiver until the end of the season because he is a great blocker.  

Guy is going to be a fan favorite by the end of the season