Baldy: Wesco Reminiscent of Quentin Nelson

1 hour ago, section314 said:

The HC saying he was the best player on the team means something. WVU had a bunch of guys drafted, as usual. We shall see.

And they're all douches. I used to Uber in Morgantown, and the football players were the most annoying mother****ers I ever drove (outside of crying, drunk packs of sorority chicks). 

Anyways, I hated the pick at first, but starting to warm-up to it. I LOVE double-tight sets, but my beef is really that I don't think we'll take advantage of his talents.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I like it. No he’s not fast but he doesn’t need to be to be a weapon. He’s a pain in the ass to bring down, can still catch and can block his ass off. Sounds like an asset to me. 

You still have Herndon and Leggett for your athletic TE. 

He's pretty fast for 270 lbs. Almost a 90% catch rate and he doesn't go right down on contact. 

Only started one year. Former Basketball player. 

Sounds like a better pass catching Anthony Becht. 

We don't need a blocking TE or a FB?

All those guys complaining about protecting Darnold or the lack of a running game can please go away now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

This is encouraging. At least, in a draft touted as deep at TE, we took one. WR was another depth area along with DT. We passed on WRs in favor of scraps, and we took DT at #3 when we could have gotten comparable DT later. So... I'm pretty down on this draft. It, as usual, seems very uninformed by a vision for what they want the team to be.

I think what Macc wants the team to be is clear:  We're a Defensive Team.  We aim to win with defense.  

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

He’s a blocking TE to take over for Tomlinson. Hopefully he will end up being a better blocker and catcher though so it won’t automatically be a run call when he enters the game. People are quickly forgetting about Herndon who will be our primary receiving TE.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I assume the hope is that we can finally have a blocking tight end that can also serve as a functional pass catcher. 

His downside appears to be a very good blocking tight end but he actually has some upside as pass catcher..

He's never going to run go routes but i could see him being a threat on 3rd and short and at the goal line with his size and hands.

Not a lot of folks thought Herndon was much of a pick either. He is also not the fastest guy on the field either. Yet being an Canes fan I knew he was going to be a beast. Yes, he started a little slow soon folks started talking crap. By the end of the season you all knew he was a beast and a keeper as well.
Let’s see what this young man brings to the field. If he is even close to Herndon in skill level on the field, we will have a two headed monster that surly will give defenses nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Only good draft pick Mac did the guy is a freak I think he is most underrated TE in the draft. Wanted a Gronk without paying a first round tender this is it. If he plays like he did for Mountaineers Herdon has no chance of starting for the Jets this guy is a beast.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

He’s a blocking TE to take over for Tomlinson. Hopefully he will end up being a better blocker and catcher though so it won’t automatically be a run call when he enters the game. People are quickly forgetting about Herndon who will be our primary receiving TE.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The guy does more than block he is a beast of a TE the guy can catch anything and is hard to take down if he plays like he did for Mountaineers Herdon wont be starting. The only pick I like the rest of this draft sucks

Guys we will be running a lot of 2 TE sets, and take it to the bank Herndon is going to be even better then he was last season. He will become one of Sam’s favorite and most reliable receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Yes, great job comparing our stuck-in-the-mud, in-line blocking TE who caught 33 passes over four full seasons of college football (including community college) to arguably the greatest tight end of all time, who holds the following 16 NFL records....

D2dR0mLWoAAnPzS.thumb.jpg.40b45c87a5258e1cecb8247c4f7bcb24.jpg

This is why everyone hates Jets fans.

Oh and here I thought it was for our sunny disposition and endless optimism.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I like it. No he’s not fast but he doesn’t need to be to be a weapon. He’s a pain in the ass to bring down, can still catch and can block his ass off. Sounds like an asset to me. 

You still have Herndon and Leggett for your athletic TE. 

Gronk wasn't what you would call a burner.

• Sympathy 1

Sounds to me like Wesco is going to be used as a Ben Hartsock (blocking TE from 10 years ago). Maybe he’ll be the FB as well (if Gase employees a formation with one). And I’m sure he’ll play Special Teams.

So he plays 3 positions. All of which he may be on the field for 30 plays a game. If he is good at all 3 positions. He’s a gem. Kills 3 birds with 1 stone. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think what Macc wants the team to be is clear:  We're a Defensive Team.  We aim to win with defense.  

Agreed.  I think we're going to also be a running team (similar to the Seahawks from last year).  That might be our best chance at success considering we didn't do that much to fortify the offense.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Yes, great job comparing our stuck-in-the-mud, in-line blocking TE who caught 33 passes over four full seasons of college football (including community college) to arguably the greatest tight end of all time, who holds the following 16 NFL records....

This is what jet fans do.  Didn't you know that Ardarius Stewart is going to be laverneus Cole's part 2.  Chad Henson's going to be Erick decker. Dylan donahue is Clay Mathews, Darren lee is going to be Ryan Shazier, and now Wesco reminds us of gronk.  Some people are totally delusional

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's nice to hear but hard to believe.  If he was as good as advertised then how did he fall to the 4th round?  And why did the Jets trade down twice before taking him?

there were quite a few good players that fell to the 4th... julian love, oruwariye and hakeem butler were all considered 2nd rounders

4 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Only good draft pick Mac did the guy is a freak I think he is most underrated TE in the draft. Wanted a Gronk without paying a first round tender this is it. If he plays like he did for Mountaineers Herdon has no chance of starting for the Jets this guy is a beast.

That is a Very Strong affirmation, I can Only Hope you are right.

6 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Actually...I like his receiving skills as shown in this video.  And I wont be surprised if Gase uses Wesco and Herndon in 2 TE sets.

Download video

Said the same thing in the Draft day thread. Two TE sets could be fun. Very different players but BOTH can be factors in the passing game. 

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This is encouraging. At least, in a draft touted as deep at TE, we took one. WR was another depth area along with DT. We passed on WRs in favor of scraps, and we took DT at #3 when we could have gotten comparable DT later. So... I'm pretty down on this draft. It, as usual, seems very uninformed by a vision for what they want the team to be.

The Jets didn't have a 2nd round pick. There apparently wasn't a good trade offer. So it sounds like you are saying the Jets could have taken a different player in round one and then chosen a comparable DT to Williams in Round 3. That seems like a pretty big stretch.

In all of his stops as an OC Gase loved targeting the TE position.  In Miami, they didn't have good TEs, do what did they do in 18?  Drafted Giesecki in the 2nd and Smythe in the 4th.   

Feels like this has Gase's fingerprints all over it. With Bell's ability as pass catcher  I would imagine we'll see a lot of 2 TE sets in early downs next year 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Jets didn't have a 2nd round pick. There apparently wasn't a good trade offer. So it sounds like you are saying the Jets could have taken a different player in round one and then chosen a comparable DT to Williams in Round 3. That seems like a pretty big stretch.

I’m saying Mac could have tried harder to find a good offer. He has failed st major trades every year.

if your plan is contingent upon the trade, you make it happen. What wd all saw the past 3 days was plan B at best. I’m not okay with plan B executives.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m saying Mac could have tried harder to find a good offer. He has failed st major trades every year.

Besides last year when he felt his job was on the line, mccagnan has no desire to move in round 1.  He goes the safe route to not pick a ghoston.  Even darron lee is not even close to some of the milliner/Vernon picks.  But yeah, in hindsight it’s nice to fantasize about getting oliver and a C or cb in round 2.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Besides last year when he felt his job was on the line, mccagnan has no desire to move in round 1.  He goes the safe route to not pick a ghoston.  Even darron lee is not even close to some of the milliner/Vernon picks.  But yeah, in hindsight it’s nice to fantasize about getting oliver and a C or cb in round 2.

Not true, it was widely reported and verified that he floundered to move up for Wentz/Goff. This is also not the first year we’ve heard ‘tried to tried back but best played fell to them’.

His only successful trade up was for the 3rd best QB last year, and he lucked out and got the 2nd.

• Upvote 1

if your plan is contingent upon the trade, you make it happen. What wd all saw the past 3 days was plan B at best. I’m not okay with plan B executives.
Macc isn't anyone want to defend.

But the Redskins got the QB they wanted at 15. The Giants took a second round guy at 6. Trades weren't there ..macc can be blamed for so.much but forcing a trade would have been worse.

Sent from my XT1650 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not true, it was widely reported and verified that he floundered to move up for Wentz/Goff. This is also not the first year we’ve heard ‘tried to tried back but best played fell to them’.

His only successful trade up was for the 3rd best QB last year, and he lucked out and got the 2nd.

IMO he didn’t do those trades b/c he didn’t perceive that his job was on the line.  Last year, he had to find a qb.