WayneChrebet80

Am I wrong for liking this draft?

You all can complain as much as you want, but i think it’s pretty good for not having a 2nd round pick and i think that’s part of the frustration.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If you're a person who wants to believe that the Jets are a relatively competent football organization with the potential, as constituted, to build toward a title within three years, you can go look up some draft grade hot takes from "analysts" who don't pay attention to the Jets for 362 days of the year and convince yourself that the Jets did pretty well.

If you're a person who's looking at recent performance of the general manager, the present constitution of the roster, and projecting what the roster looks like two years from now, then you hate this draft. 

You’re going to get a good feel for this draft class right away.  On opening day, Q is going to be starting and polite is going to be in on a good many passing downs.  It’s also possible that Edoga is the starting RT b/c shell sucks and still isn’t close to being ready to practice.  

Wesco will be integrated into the offense as well.  So we’ll see quickly.

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I don't love being in the position to defend Mac but here I am. I like the draft too. Q is a big difference maker up front. Polite was one of the edges I was shooting for, the kid from USC was one of my OK targets. Can't say I love or get the Wesco pick but anything that makes Tomlinson go is fine by me. The FO did fine. Not a super kill it draft like frankly the Bills had...but Mac did fine. I am honestly baffled by the negativity too.

If they had a 2nd round pick and got a starting cb the class would look great.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I like this pick. It seems like most of the people who hate this draft come from the tribe who believes that a football team begins and ends with the OL. So in the fourth round, the Jets grabbed a very capable blocker who will also catch a few passes and run over the people who try to tackle him. I'm pretty excited about the dude, and hope he's the #2 TE quickly and that Tomlinson hits the unemployment line. 

The jets had the worst center last season, so the overreaction is to want to take one in the first two rounds.  But unless you get someone like mangold, you can find a competent center in later rounds.  The NE center was undrafted.  You don’t need the athletic freaks that you need at tackle.  

I predict that Edoga will be starting early in the season at RT, perhaps even beat out shell in training camp.  And they can stick wesco on the edge to help, yeah two rookies, but tenacious blockers.  Better that than two stiffs like shell and Tomlinson.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it bother you at all that Wesco is yet another replacement of yet another failed Macc draft pick in Leggett?  It worries me how many of our recent picks are intended to play positions Macc has already drafted in his short tenure here.

And winning does begin in the trenches, O-Line and D-Line.  Dominate those (with appropriate pieces elsewhere) and you got a chance to compete.  Our D-Line was (and certainly now is) fine talent-wise.  Our O-Line in at best questionable, even with these picks.

Rounds 5-7 have low probabilities to hit on guys who contribute on a meaningful basis long-term.  Roster churn from year to year is substantial and much of that is newer, cheaper options for backup jobs who can also contribute on ST.  If wesco turns out to be a decent pick, the overall hit rate of finding a 2nd TE on day 3 will have been 2/3 including herndon.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’ll probably be seen as the best pick from this draft in a few years, honestly, similar to Jordan Jenkins. People will come to see that Quinnen isn’t actually Reggie White (probably), and that he’s just a really good DT, so the shine will be off that pick. No way Polite develops with that attitude. Edoga will start eventually. But Wesco will be the one visible pick who looks like he’s actively helping Darnold, so it’ll be received favorably 

Edoga helped darnold in college, and he’s just the modern type of RT they need, Uber athletic rather than a slow footed mauler.  

I agree on Q, probably does not become the next ______.  I think polite has showed more humility and contrition in his post draft comments than anticipated, so maybe he’ll just shut up and play hard.  Truth, if he becomes what we all hoped maudlin would be, it will have been a good pick.

52 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Do I trust the Jets as an organization to get the most out of him? Not really. But I like the risk. He has tremendous upside. If the Steelers drafted him he’d be an All Pro.

Exactly. The grade / narrative is based as much on the team’s drafting success as it is on the player and his potential. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Everybody likes this draft 

its getting solid reviews and basically a B grade 

And that’s without a 2nd round pick.  And we didn’t trade any of next year’s draft picks away.

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company