WayneChrebet80

Am I wrong for liking this draft?

35 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

Am I wrong for liking this draft?

No, you're not wrong.

If you can ask yourself "why do I like this draft class" and if you're able to answer yourself in way that makes sense to you, then by all means you should like this draft class.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, slats said:

I like this pick. It seems like most of the people who hate this draft come from the tribe who believes that a football team begins and ends with the OL. So in the fourth round, the Jets grabbed a very capable blocker who will also catch a few passes and run over the people who try to tackle him. I'm pretty excited about the dude, and hope he's the #2 TE quickly and that Tomlinson hits the unemployment line. 

Does it bother you at all that Wesco is yet another replacement of yet another failed Macc draft pick in Leggett?  It worries me how many of our recent picks are intended to play positions Macc has already drafted in his short tenure here.

And winning does begin in the trenches, O-Line and D-Line.  Dominate those (with appropriate pieces elsewhere) and you got a chance to compete.  Our D-Line was (and certainly now is) fine talent-wise.  Our O-Line in at best questionable, even with these picks.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

It might bother me if Leggett was a first or second day pick, but he was a fifth rounder who'll probably still make the final roster this year. And Leggett was supposed to be more of a receiver than blocker, so not really a direct replacement. 

I think this board overestimates the importance of the OL. Winning begins at QB, and the Jets look like they have one who's capable of moving around in and out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. If you love OL, you presumably love them because they block, and the Jets grabbed a guy in the fourth with the potential to be a sixth OL who catches a few passes. 

They traded for a former pro bowl guard and drafted an OT and a blocking TE. It's not so bad. 

We can agree to disagree on the vital nature/importance of the O-Line.  

But I agree on the QB point, he looks to potentially be special, and I agree that we at least picked one O-Lineman and a TE, both "needs" in my own view.  Disappointed about Center, and disappointed in the heavy emphasis on Defense this draft, but such is life.  

We'll see how it plays out, if the defenders of the "O-Lie wasn't really needed, nor was more weapons for Darnold" mindset are right, we should have a very VERY good offense this year.  So we'll see.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Immediate draft grades are people basically judging what the team did vs. what they wanted them to do.

True enough.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

with the schedule this year and Brady still here the playoffs are a stretch so don’t mortgage the future 

I see the annual tradition of Jets Fans giving up any hope for the season before Preseason has even started lives on....

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company