WayneChrebet80

Am I wrong for liking this draft?

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

After watching some tape of Wesco, I'm diggin' the pick.   I see the thought process behind it for a change.

He is an excellent blocker, both in the run game and pass protection.  His run blocking is powerful, but more importantly he moves well to the second level while demonstrating patience and good vision when he has to choose a defender to hit.  He controls his blocks well after contact.  A perfect match for Le'Veon Bell.  

As for pass protection, a TE that can block or help chip an edge rusher is super important.  There is tape of him moving back inside to block rushers also.   We want to protect Sam.  This guy can.

Because he moves well for a big guy, he can contribute as a receiver too.  Wesco will surprisingly make a guy miss every once in a while and carry tacklers on his back for YAC.  I think he could be be a fan favorite when he gets comfortable at the NFL level. 

The Jets desperately need a mascot player that will fire up the crowd.  A TE that will carry 3 defenders for a first down will do the trick.

I like this pick. It seems like most of the people who hate this draft come from the tribe who believes that a football team begins and ends with the OL. So in the fourth round, the Jets grabbed a very capable blocker who will also catch a few passes and run over the people who try to tackle him. I'm pretty excited about the dude, and hope he's the #2 TE quickly and that Tomlinson hits the unemployment line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it bother you at all that Wesco is yet another replacement of yet another failed Macc draft pick in Leggett?  It worries me how many of our recent picks are intended to play positions Macc has already drafted in his short tenure here.

And winning does begin in the trenches, O-Line and D-Line.  Dominate those (with appropriate pieces elsewhere) and you got a chance to compete.  Our D-Line was (and certainly now is) fine talent-wise.  Our O-Line in at best questionable, even with these picks.

It might bother me if Leggett was a first or second day pick, but he was a fifth rounder who'll probably still make the final roster this year. And Leggett was supposed to be more of a receiver than blocker, so not really a direct replacement. 

I think this board overestimates the importance of the OL. Winning begins at QB, and the Jets look like they have one who's capable of moving around in and out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. If you love OL, you presumably love them because they block, and the Jets grabbed a guy in the fourth with the potential to be a sixth OL who catches a few passes. 

They traded for a former pro bowl guard and drafted an OT and a blocking TE. It's not so bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’ll probably be seen as the best pick from this draft in a few years, honestly, similar to Jordan Jenkins. People will come to see that Quinnen isn’t actually Reggie White (probably), and that he’s just a really good DT, so the shine will be off that pick. No way Polite develops with that attitude. Edoga will start eventually. But Wesco will be the one visible pick who looks like he’s actively helping Darnold, so it’ll be received favorably 

What is Polite's attitude? 

Quinnen will be judged against expectations, and as "the best player in the draft,' they're obviously very high and maybe not likely to be met. We'll see. Pass rush was a huge need and QW was one of the (if not the) top pass rusher in this class. I was hoping for offense with that first third rounder, so I really hope Polite pans out. 

I prefer to be optimistic this time of year. Immediate draft grades are people basically judging what the team did vs. what they wanted them to do. I'm not gonna get myself hung up on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company