Jump to content
WayneChrebet80

Am I wrong for liking this draft?

Recommended Posts

Q and Polite are good picks. The other guys I have zero faith that any of them will turn into a starter. The Rutgers db might be the worst pick since Wackenberg. No reason we couldn't have gotten that turd as an udfa. Get a C for Sam's sake. Putz!!!! 🤬

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No

Clearly you didn't read my post to the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only pick I didn’t like was the porcelain made DB from Rutgers.

Quinnen was neck and neck with Bosa as the best player in the draft, Polite has the ability to be a 10 sack a year edgerusher if he gets his sh*t together, Edoga could possibly be our starting LT or RT by 2020 (may even challenge Shell day 1), Wesco was the best blocking TE/FB in the draft and started to come on as a receiver last year, and Cashman could be a ST ace and contribute in nickel/dime packages.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I liked it up until day 3 🤷🏾‍♂️

 I'm a little confused as to why so many people are so down on day three.

As soon as Wesco was taken all the commentators on ESPN were thrilled by this pick a tough nose blocking tight end that has come on as a pass catcher the second half of his senior year. His own HC claims he was the best player yer on the team and West Virginia is pretty good to say the least. At 270 lbs he is the heaviest TE in this draft. Mel Kiper says Darnald will be thrilled with him, Baldinger compared him to Gronk and Q. Without seeing play a down in the NFL yet i cant see hating this pick.

Blake Cashmen?  I would have rather OLINE  help, or wide receiver, but Cashman was ranked by highly respected sources in the top 70 players. While not the ideal position, all indicaions point to looking to replace Lee.

I cant explain the Austin pick. Not playing 19 out of 20 past games leads me to believe that this player would have been taken much higher if he had stayed healthy. So it's strictly a gamble late in the draft.

I just dont see how disastrous day 3 ( and the rest of our draft) was.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

Weve done that long enough 

Another person who didn't read to the end of my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking a step back there are components I like:

Quinnen will be at the very least “good”

Edoga has a lot of potential to be a starter this season

Wesco has the right personality/ skill set to be a part of the improvement of the line and offense

Blake Cashman has everything you want in a player

I just don’t like 

Polite has too many red flags

The Rutgers CB could be good but we keep getting late round guys and having to sign Claiborne.

More generally there was offensive line help everywhere and we only did it once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Clearly you didn't read my post to the end.

I once saw a homeless man dry-heaving while leaning over the hood of a parked Ferrari. I didn't need to watch until the end to know it was going to be tragic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

But that’s only because you shouldn’t care about anything and death is coming for us all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You all can complain as much as you want, but i think it’s pretty good for not having a 2nd round pick and i think that’s part of the frustration.  

agreed.

Macc sucks in the later rounds.

We knew this.

Not gonna lose my lunch over it.

We could have Dave Gettleman picking Daniel ******* Jones #6.  Let's be honest here.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SR24 said:

There are parts to like for sure. Adding Quinnen and Polite is huge for the defense but Mac might as well have not shown up for day 3. I can live with the TE but we took 2 players who have 5 major surgeries combined.... Mac really trying maximize the value of our medical staff I guess? I know it's rare to find quality impact players on day 3 but we probably should have stayed put and selected Julian Love. 

I know nothing about the TE from West Virginia, but I’ll see the kid play before freaking out about it. I’ve seen Blake Cashman play a bunch and he was a great college player. Check the film of his game against Northwestern and get back to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I once saw a homeless man dry-heaving while leaning over the hood of a parked Ferrari. I didn't need to watch until the end to know it was going to be tragic.

"ha ha" but the "trust Macc" piece of my post was a set-up that was undercut by the last line of that post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

agreed.

Macc sucks in the later rounds.

We knew this.

Not gonna lose my lunch over it.

We could have Dave Gettleman picking Daniel ******* Jones #6.  Let's be honest here.

I know my GM throws away draft picks, but doesn't bother me at all!! Least he' might not be as bad as Dave Gettlemen

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If the worst pick of your draft is a oft injured CB in the 6th round, you've had a good draft.

Mac should just draft one paraplegic every year so you can give him passing grade

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I know nothing about the TE from West Virginia, but I’ll see the kid play before freaking out about it. I’ve seen Blake Cashman play a bunch and he was a great college player. Check the film of his game against Northwestern and get back to me. 

Cashman looks great when he's on the field, just concerning going after a player with multiple surgeries. If he had a clean bill of health I'd be much more excited hopefully he can stay on the field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

Am I wrong for liking this draft?

No, you're not wrong.

If you can ask yourself "why do I like this draft class" and if you're able to answer yourself in way that makes sense to you, then by all means you should like this draft class.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't love being in the position to defend Mac but here I am. I like the draft too. Q is a big difference maker up front. Polite was one of the edges I was shooting for, the kid from USC was one of my OL targets. Can't say I love or get the Wesco pick but anything that makes Tomlinson go is fine by me. The FO did fine. Not a super kill it draft like frankly the Bills had...but Mac did fine. I am honestly baffled by the negativity too.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, your not wrong. If this team gets to the Super Bowl this year, people will complain about the loss and demand that heads roll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I don't love being in the position to defend Mac but here I am. I like the draft too. Q is a big difference maker up front. Polite was one of the edges I was shooting for, the kid from USC was one of my OK targets. Can't say I love or get the Wesco pick but anything that makes Tomlinson go is fine by me. The FO did fine. Not a super kill it draft like frankly the Bills had...but Mac did fine. I am honestly baffled by the negativity too.

If they had a 2nd round pick and got a starting cb the class would look great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Q and Polite are good picks. The other guys I have zero faith that any of them will turn into a starter. The Rutgers db might be the worst pick since Wackenberg. No reason we couldn't have gotten that turd as an udfa. Get a C for Sam's sake. Putz!!!! 🤬

After watching some tape of Wesco, I'm diggin' the pick.   I see the thought process behind it for a change.

He is an excellent blocker, both in the run game and pass protection.  His run blocking is powerful, but more importantly he moves well to the second level while demonstrating patience and good vision when he has to choose a defender to hit.  He controls his blocks well after contact.  A perfect match for Le'Veon Bell.  

As for pass protection, a TE that can block or help chip an edge rusher is super important.  There is tape of him moving back inside to block rushers also.   We want to protect Sam.  This guy can.

Because he moves well for a big guy, he can contribute as a receiver too.  Wesco will surprisingly make a guy miss every once in a while and carry tacklers on his back for YAC.  I think he could be be a fan favorite when he gets comfortable at the NFL level. 

The Jets desperately need a mascot player that will fire up the crowd.  A TE that will carry 3 defenders for a first down will do the trick.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

No not at all. Welcome to Jetnation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope because as always nobody has any idea how these draft picks will turn out. We can all sit here cheering or frowning but at the end of the day we’re all just Jon Snows trying to entertain ourselves and our egos by trying to be the first one to call out a great pick or a terrible pick so we can point back to today and say “I told you so”. Mac’s track record doesn’t speak well for itself but that really doesn’t determine whether any of these picks will turn into all-stars or not.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the draft is pretty good player wise and value wise.  But this draft suffers from the ills of the GM who has been in charge for 5 years and has made way too many mistakes.

1st round pick, good player, some think great player but in a postilion that is not a weakness and that the team has poured endless resources into for over a decade.  Quinnen Williams cannot be a good player he has to be a great player huge difference maker.

3rd round pick - pattern of using 3rd rounders of I hope this guy is a decent olb rusher.  At least this guy seems to have the potential to be a true pass rusher but also risky,

3rd round pick - oline.  5th year gming and this is the highest pick he has used on the oline.  The player looks to have good potential though.

4th round pick - TE.  I killed this pick when it was first made and in todays NFL I still only see the guy in the field for limited snaps but most pundits that I value think the guy will be good.

5th round pick - LB - As I said in another thread, not a bad pick but bad injury history.  In effect a player that sounds like the guy we used a 1st rounder on a couple years back.  Draft to cover up previous draft errors, a mac mantra

6th round pick - A sheer and utter waste, terrible injury history, we have used 3 other 6th round picks on Cbs.  Simply no reason to take a flyer on Cb rather than taking a flyer on other positions of need.

Essentially it comes down to Q williams having to be at least aaron donald light minimum and polite to be a 12 sack edge rusher in time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If they had a 2nd round pick and got a starting cb the class would look great.

If they had a 2nd round pick and drafted a C people would be happier. Alas they used the 2 to trade up for Sam Darnold. oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nobody is wrong for liking the draft. we’re jets fans, this is the one day of the year we can feel good about our new players before watching them disappoint us in real time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 
I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 
It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

I’ll let you know in three years.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some of the draft is pretty good player wise and value wise.  But this draft suffers from the ills of the GM who has been in charge for 5 years and has made way too many mistakes.

1st round pick, good player, some think great player but in a postilion that is not a weakness and that the team has poured endless resources into for over a decade.  Quinnen Williams cannot be a good player he has to be a great player huge difference maker.

3rd round pick - pattern of using 3rd rounders of I hope this guy is a decent olb rusher.  At least this guy seems to have the potential to be a true pass rusher but also risky,

3rd round pick - oline.  5th year gming and this is the highest pick he has used on the oline.  The player looks to have good potential though.

4th round pick - TE.  I killed this pick when it was first made and in todays NFL I still only see the guy in the field for limited snaps but most pundits that I value think the guy will be good.

5th round pick - LB - As I said in another thread, not a bad pick but bad injury history.  In effect a player that sounds like the guy we used a 1st rounder on a couple years back.  Draft to cover up previous draft errors, a mac mantra

6th round pick - A sheer and utter waste, terrible injury history, we have used 3 other 6th round picks on Cbs.  Simply no reason to take a flyer on Cb rather than taking a flyer on other positions of need.

Essentially it comes down to Q williams having to be at least aaron donald light minimum and polite to be a 12 sack edge rusher in time.

For reasons stated above, I am really optimistic about Wesco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I’m going to hide your food.

1-800-Mrs-Crush .. She been doing that for two decades. Give her a call, get some tips, join the support group and game on! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only pick that made me throw my iPad on the couch was the sixth rounder. Yet another crippled DB in the late rounds -- sounds familiar. But I'm OK with the worst pick being in the 6th round. Like in past years, most of Macc's late round picks are going to suck, as is most every other player drafted in those rounds. I didn't like Wesco at first, but after reading about him, I feel a little better, although I still would have preferred an offensive lineman in that spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

1-800-Mrs-Crush .. She been doing that for two decades. Give her a call, get some tips, join the support group and game on! 

Just kidding, I never deny men food...that’s why men have been my slaves for most of my life.  

Way to a man’s heart....feed them, love football, feed them. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you know that a Jet fan is born by being slapped in the face once he enters the world, there are no surprises.

I liked this years draft - ( the doctor missed but I fell on my head when he lost his grip)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Just kidding, I never deny men food...that’s why men have been my slaves for most of my life.  

Way to a man’s heart....feed them, love football, feed them. 😎

I see you met my wife! How she do too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bunch of college children, you don’t know what you’ve got for a year or two, it’s silly to worry about any of this now.  The draft is Christmas morning for college football know-it-all’s. Thank God it’s finally over.

We look like a 10 win team to me.  That’s an absolute miracle and all that matters now.

SAR I

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big issue is that I don’t trust Macc anymore and this year he took some “I’m smarter than you guys” that will determine if the draft is a success or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...