Am I wrong for liking this draft?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you're a person who wants to believe that the Jets are a relatively competent football organization with the potential, as constituted, to build toward a title within three years, you can go look up some draft grade hot takes from "analysts" who don't pay attention to the Jets for 362 days of the year and convince yourself that the Jets did pretty well.

If you're a person who's looking at recent performance of the general manager, the present constitution of the roster, and projecting what the roster looks like two years from now, then you hate this draft. 

If you are a person who had heart surgery and have not watched the last three years, after being a rabid jets fan since 1965, and just got back into it after knowing the morons finally drafted a QB in the first round, and were all excited to be back, then watching this draft has reminded me how nice doing other things on Sundays have been. 

Yes, the dreaded words. Same old Jets.

Ugh

26 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

No you aren’t wrong. No one knows how these draft picks will turn out. Except for some on this board that act like they have scouted, watched all the game tape and  players in person etc.

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

There is gonna be negativity on here no matter what I’ve accepted that. I think we had a strong draft.  Do I think every pick was fantastic? No but I think we added a impact player with Williams, a potential steal with the polite, and did add to the oline and a TE who can both block well and I feel can be a decent weapon for Sam

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you're a person who's looking at recent performance of the general manager, the present constitution of the roster, and projecting what the roster looks like two years from now, then you hate this draft. 

I disagree with knocking the recent performance of the GM.  Since the offseason began we have added an all pro RB and LB, a former pro bowl guard, an upgrade at slot corner and slot receiver, and haven't lost anyone of value from last year.  He participated in picking an offensive HC to help our rookie QB improve in his second year, and in choosing a much better defensive coaching staff.  No can tell how a draft will turn out for a few years but he picked a consensus stud at DT and attempted to address edge rusher, OL, and blocking TE.  He had limited picks and couldn't do everything but the roster as now constituted is significantly better than last year.  Hating this draft  immediately is just following the narrative of cynicism that gets a rise out of people on the board, but isn't based on an objective analysis. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

I disagree with knocking the recent performance of the GM.  Since the offseason began we have added an all pro RB and LB, a former pro bowl guard, an upgrade at slot corner and slot receiver, and haven't lost anyone of value from last year.  He participated in picking an offensive HC to help our rookie QB improve in his second year, and in choosing a much better defensive coaching staff.  No can tell how a draft will turn out for a few years but he picked a consensus stud at DT and attempted to address edge rusher, OL, and blocking TE.  He had limited picks and couldn't do everything but the roster as now constituted is significantly better than last year.  Hating this draft  immediately is just following the narrative of cynicism that gets a rise out of people on the board, but isn't based on an objective analysis. 

A good post.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Quinnen and Polite live up to expectations then our defense has the potential to be dominant. 

Disclaimer: pretty much every year I think "this is the year the Jet defense has a chance to be dominant".

They should be the 85 Bears when you look at the draft capital we've spent on them over the last decade

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, docdhc said:

This^^^

50 minutes ago, docdhc said:

The roster last year really couldn't be worse - and the only reason he was able to sign those FA's - was because all of his prior drafts failed so miserably that he had no one to pay.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Honestly, I'm a bit shellshocked at reading all the negativity on this board. Especially about the draft and how it relates to Gase and Macc's relationship.  I don't know what to believe when it comes to Gase and Macc  being at war with each other. Suggesting that Macc threw the draft purposely seems insane. . I'm not sure if we are dysfunctional, or have our team pointed in the right direction. I am at a total loss. 

I was feeling pretty good about our draft before reading all the negative threads

The answer to your question is that yes, "WE" are dysfunctional, but the Jets are not.  The suggestion that Macc "threw" the draft is as insane as the "conspiracy theorists" who propagate the notion.  If you put too much stock into what is said here, you too will soon be chasing shadows, like a lot of the posters here on JetNation.

If it's true that misery loves company, we do indeed have a very crowded room.  The team is most definitely pointed in the right direction.  Feel free to feel good about the draft.  A lot of good was accomplished.   Looking forward to the season.

7 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The answer to your question is that yes, "WE" are dysfunctional, but the Jets are not.  The suggestion that Macc "threw" the draft is as insane as the "conspiracy theorists" who propagate the notion.  If you put too much stock into what is said here, you too will soon be chasing shadows, like a lot of the posters here on JetNation.

If it's true that misery loves company, we do indeed have a very crowded room.  The team is most definitely pointed in the right direction.  Feel free to feel good about the draft.  A lot of good was accomplished.   Looking forward to the season.

Speculation and innuendo.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The only pick I didn’t like was the porcelain made DB from Rutgers.

Quinnen was neck and neck with Bosa as the best player in the draft, Polite has the ability to be a 10 sack a year edgerusher if he gets his sh*t together, Edoga could possibly be our starting LT or RT by 2020 (may even challenge Shell day 1), Wesco was the best blocking TE/FB in the draft and started to come on as a receiver last year, and Cashman could be a ST ace and contribute in nickel/dime packages.

Stop making sense.  It doesn't go over well.  Makes the mob nervous.  Great post.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Honestly, I'm a bit shellshocked at reading all the negativity on this board. Especially about the draft and how it relates to Gase and Macc's relationship.  I don't know what to believe when it comes to Gase and Macc  being at war with each other. Suggesting that Macc threw the draft purposely seems insane. . I'm not sure if we are dysfunctional, or have our team pointed in the right direction. I am at a total loss. 
I was feeling pretty good about our draft before reading all the negative threads

You must be new here. People here will complain when their ice cream is cold!

...and then blame it on the uniforms!

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The roster last year really couldn't be worse - and the only reason he was able to sign those FA's - was because all of his prior drafts failed so miserably that he had no one to pay.

True enough. I was responding to a critique of the gm’s recent performance and the poster hating this draft. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

"Am I wrong for liking this draft?"

I think that this entire draft, outside of round 1, should have been about getting our 2nd year QB more weapons around him to give him the best chance to succeed (WR, OL), so yes, you are wrong for liking this draft.

No he isn’t wrong.  We did add OL help and a TE that can block and catch.  Plus we got Bell and Crowder in FA

I'm a big Mac critic. After day 2, I was finally getting ready to give him a pat on the back. After those trades, I was ready to hug him. Then he picked guys on day 3 that make zero sense with possible contributors on the boards. 2 of the 3 guys come with extra body bags. I don't get it, but i'm tired of it.

I can't wait to see the surprise on Mac's face when Blessaun and Cashman get hurt. Can't wait to hear the inevitable "who could have known?" Everyone Mac. Everyone knew.

26 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

No he isn’t wrong.  We did add OL help and a TE that can block and catch.  Plus we got Bell and Crowder in FA

One OL (with potential discipline issues) out of 6 picks and a TE that will play 10% of the snaps if he's lucky.  Not exactly stellar building blocks for an offense.   Oh and Bell and Crowder weren't part of this draft so there's that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Other than the last pick, there is absolutely no reason not to like this draft. 

Whiner, homer, darksider, apologist, no reason not to like it. 

The last pick was awful but every other pick, some perfect, some meh, they all checked boxes and were in line with or exceeded projections. 

Be happy. 

Not sad.

• Post of the Week 1

I think this was a very good draft. There were some solid picks mixed in with some risks. This team is not being built for only this upcoming season. This is a 1 through 4 year window in which we have same on a rookie deal. People are acting like the team needs proven pro bowl players at every position. There were a few players I would have wanted instead. But we will see soon whether this will work out or not for the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

Yes! With only exception of not addressing the Center issue. A very good draft. I suspect we obtained an opening day Defensive Tackle, a rotational edge rusher, who will get more snaps as season moves on, Polite projected as a first rounder before combine, and considered a steal for any team getting him in the second (these two guys will also push all others on team). We may have also acquired a back-up tackle that will get playing time. Not thrilled with third day, but old enough to know I do not have the knowledge of front office professionals. We are two years away from being a serious playoff threat, and with a little luck and our reasonable travel schedule, I think we may sneak into the playoffs this year--excited!!!!!

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Yes, you are wrong. Mac draft thinking of said players is about what you see in the player 3 years from now. However, more often than not during his tenure those players do NOT ultimately end being even decent. In fact, almost all of them from years past are out of the league. This draft is no different. As Cimini said, BEST CASE SCENARIO, Williams, Polite, and Edoga are starters. That's the best case.

Mac's worst draft so far. In a vacuum you can defend the picks but we are not a better team than we we're on Wednesday by any significant margin. No consistentcy no vision over reliance in analytics. We could take a draft fuide and likely wind up with as good if a draft. And for those thinking, but Williams was vest player in the draft, so was the other JAG we had, and Quinnen needs to add like 15 sacks and 30 pressures just to have any impact. DT and ILB don't make winners