Am I wrong for liking this draft?

4 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

No you aren’t wrong. No one knows how these draft picks will turn out. Except for some on this board that act like they have scouted, watched all the game tape and  players in person etc.

None of these couch potato GMs have any clue what matters. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Not the point 

this place has disintegrated into a bunch of crybabies 

When a couple of decent prospects are on the board and our gm is playing bullsh*t games to trade back and pick up worthless injury-riddled dbs instead of giving us *at least* some o line depth, you're going to hear complaints. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, freestater said:

When a couple of decent prospects are on the board and our gm is playing bullsh*t games to trade back and pick up worthless injury-riddled dbs instead of giving us *at least* some o line depth, you're going to hear complaints. 

If you were reading top available lists in the 7th round hoping for a center to come in and start that’s on you dude 

Just now, Larz said:

If you were reading top available lists in the 7th round hoping for a center to come in and start that’s on you dude 

Nope. I'm talking about the 4th where Cajuste and Jordan were still on the board and Macc got cute and traded back to pick up extra picks so he could grab his injured db. That's on him.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

You all can complain as much as you want, but i think it’s pretty good for not having a 2nd round pick and i think that’s part of the frustration.  

Thats BS...sorry.

He could have drafted an Edge in the first round and then not have to draft Polite in the third freeing up another pick.

Q was so 'can't miss' that the first two teams passed on him and no one wanted to trade up to get him apparently.

4 other DE's/OLBs went in the first round after Q, as well as 4 OT's...all of which were more of a need for us.

True, they didn't have a second rounder as they apparently 'couldn't ' trade down (who knows).

But that was even more reason to not take a DT at 3. 

• Thumb Down 1

I actually really like the Cardinals draft. They got what they believe to be there QB of the future in Murray. Then they gave him 3 stud recievers in Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, and keesean Johnson. I would have been ecstatic if the jets drafted one of these guys.

They also added a good CB in Byron Murphy in the second, Center Lamont Gaillard And a developmental Tackle in Joshua miles.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

If someone told me that Jets drafted the following positions, but didn't tell me the players' names or what rounds they went in, I'd probably be pretty happy.

Edge rusher, OT, CB, DT, TE, ILB

I think I'd look and say to myself....Wish we got a Center and wish we got a WR, but I can probably live with an OT and TE on offense and it's great that we hit the Edge rusher spot.

Then I'd look and be disappointed DT was the first position taken even if Quinnen Williams was the best player in the Draft.

At the end of the day this Draft just didn't line up well with the spots where we were picking.  The Jets were still paying for Sam Darnold (the missing 2nd round pick this year) and other than Josh Allen there really wasn't another consideration at #3 (settle down Ed Oliver lovers!).  It's just a bummer because had the Jets been picking in the middle of each round and had that 2nd round pick this could have been a much better draft overall.  We could have gotten a guy like Brian Burns (EDGE) or Garrett Bradbury (C) or Andre Dillard (LT) in Round 1, a guy like Ben Banogu (EDGE), Erik McCoy (C), or AJ Brown (WR) in Round 2, etc.

It is what it is and we got some very good and interesting players.  But, several of them are real lottery tickets.  Several boom or bust guys I think, especially the CB Austin out of Rutgers who apparently could be either a CB1 or never play a down in the NFL.

We'll see....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, docdhc said:

I disagree with knocking the recent performance of the GM.  Since the offseason began we have added an all pro RB and LB, a former pro bowl guard, an upgrade at slot corner and slot receiver, and haven't lost anyone of value from last year.  He participated in picking an offensive HC to help our rookie QB improve in his second year, and in choosing a much better defensive coaching staff.  No can tell how a draft will turn out for a few years but he picked a consensus stud at DT and attempted to address edge rusher, OL, and blocking TE.  He had limited picks and couldn't do everything but the roster as now constituted is significantly better than last year.  Hating this draft  immediately is just following the narrative of cynicism that gets a rise out of people on the board, but isn't based on an objective analysis. 

Tremendous post.  We all have had issues with Mac but this off-season he has been very solid. I am prepared to let things play out and I'm very.excited to see this team on the field.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, freestater said:

Nope. I'm talking about the 4th where Cajuste and Jordan were still on the board and Macc got cute and traded back to pick up extra picks so he could grab his injured db. That's on him.

Cajuste was picked end of the third round, shortly after we picked Edoga.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I actually really like the Cardinals draft. They got what they believe to be there QB of the future in Murray. Then they gave him 3 stud recievers in Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, and keesean Johnson. I would have been ecstatic if the jets drafted one of these guys.

They also added a good CB in Byron Murphy in the second, Center Lamont Gaillard And a developmental Tackle in Joshua miles.  

While I like the guys that they drafted, like you do, but they did even less than us on their O line. And they started with the worst one in the league. Murray may allow them to get away with that to a degree, but it doesn't bode well for the upcoming season.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, freestater said:

Lol screw both those guys the pick should of been Julian love.  That being said I can see that TE becoming a fan favorite after he runs through a few defenders on like key 3rd down or something .

• Sympathy 1

I liked the day 2 picks, pretty decent considering we didn't have a 2nd rounder and didn't have the tools to be able to trade up into it. 

Quinnen will be very good I believe, but at this time I'd have preferred a trade down to get a couple more swings, and fill out the offense. Obviously we don't know what was available. Time will tell how successful this is - if Q is a game wrecker then it's a fantastic pick, if he's a solid, steady and difficult DL (so little improvement on Leo but not huge), then it's a disappointment. At the moment, I'm okay to give benefit of the doubt.

I hated day three. Just hated it. Hope I'm proven wrong. 

The big concern for me is that, if you hit that occasional amazing draft (i.e. Saints 2017) you can turn your team around. But ours doesn't even give us a chance of doing that - outside of Williams and Polite, there's nobody who seems likely to start day one, and no attempt to get any offensive playmakers. 

Here's a thought, and a question ... last year when we traded up we gave up three 2nd rounders (one this year) to move up for Sam. At the time the sentiment was generally that Macc had done well to keep this year's 1st.

Given that we now know how that all turned out, and who we picked / didn't pick - would you rather have given up our first if it meant keeping our second 2 last year, and this year's 2? Might not work out exactly points wise, but it's a rough start point.

So - QW, or a 2 last year and this year?

There are parts to like for sure. Adding Quinnen and Polite is huge for the defense but Mac might as well have not shown up for day 3. I can live with the TE but we took 2 players who have 5 major surgeries combined.... Mac really trying maximize the value of our medical staff I guess? I know it's rare to find quality impact players on day 3 but we probably should have stayed put and selected Julian Love. 

I have to agree

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

After watching some tape of Wesco, I'm diggin' the pick.   I see the thought process behind it for a change.

He is an excellent blocker, both in the run game and pass protection.  His run blocking is powerful, but more importantly he moves well to the second level while demonstrating patience and good vision when he has to choose a defender to hit.  He controls his blocks well after contact.  A perfect match for Le'Veon Bell.  

As for pass protection, a TE that can block or help chip an edge rusher is super important.  There is tape of him moving back inside to block rushers also.   We want to protect Sam.  This guy can.

Because he moves well for a big guy, he can contribute as a receiver too.  Wesco will surprisingly make a guy miss every once in a while and carry tacklers on his back for YAC.  I think he could be be a fan favorite when he gets comfortable at the NFL level. 

The Jets desperately need a mascot player that will fire up the crowd.  A TE that will carry 3 defenders for a first down will do the trick.

I like this pick. It seems like most of the people who hate this draft come from the tribe who believes that a football team begins and ends with the OL. So in the fourth round, the Jets grabbed a very capable blocker who will also catch a few passes and run over the people who try to tackle him. I'm pretty excited about the dude, and hope he's the #2 TE quickly and that Tomlinson hits the unemployment line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I like this pick. It seems like most of the people who hate this draft come from the tribe who believes that a football team begins and ends with the OL. So in the fourth round, the Jets grabbed a very capable blocker who will also catch a few passes and run over the people who try to tackle him. I'm pretty excited about the dude, and hope he's the #2 TE quickly and that Tomlinson hits the unemployment line. 

The jets had the worst center last season, so the overreaction is to want to take one in the first two rounds.  But unless you get someone like mangold, you can find a competent center in later rounds.  The NE center was undrafted.  You don’t need the athletic freaks that you need at tackle.  

I predict that Edoga will be starting early in the season at RT, perhaps even beat out shell in training camp.  And they can stick wesco on the edge to help, yeah two rookies, but tenacious blockers.  Better that than two stiffs like shell and Tomlinson.

I love the first 3 picks. All home runs.

After that, while imI really like Wesco, I don’t get trading down and passing on a few good corners or wr’s that should have been had early in the 4th. Wesco better turn into what they hope he can be.

The last 2 picks were absolute garbage.

9 hours ago, Larz said:

Not the point 

this place has disintegrated into a bunch of crybabies 

Look at the recent product this team has put on the field.  How would you like this place to react?

Last at this time the place was ecstatic. when they do well this place recognizes it.

It's not constant complaining - it's only complaining when there's reason to do so.

unfortunately there's hasn't been much to cheer.

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets had the worst center last season, so the overreaction is to want to take one in the first two rounds.  But unless you get someone like mangold, you can find a competent center in later rounds.  The NE center was undrafted.  You don’t need the athletic freaks that you need at tackle.  

I predict that Edoga will be starting early in the season at RT, perhaps even beat out shell in training camp.  And they can stick wesco on the edge to help, yeah two rookies, but tenacious blockers.  Better that than two stiffs like shell and Tomlinson.

Which center did they take in the later rounds?

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Does it bother you at all that Wesco is yet another replacement of yet another failed Macc draft pick in Leggett?  It worries me how many of our recent picks are intended to play positions Macc has already drafted in his short tenure here.

And winning does begin in the trenches, O-Line and D-Line.  Dominate those (with appropriate pieces elsewhere) and you got a chance to compete.  Our D-Line was (and certainly now is) fine talent-wise.  Our O-Line in at best questionable, even with these picks.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it bother you at all that Wesco is yet another replacement of yet another failed Macc draft pick in Leggett?  It worries me how many of our recent picks are intended to play positions Macc has already drafted in his short tenure here.

And winning does begin in the trenches, O-Line and D-Line.  Dominate those (with appropriate pieces elsewhere) and you got a chance to compete.  Our D-Line was (and certainly now is) fine talent-wise.  Our O-Line in at best questionable, even with these picks.

Rounds 5-7 have low probabilities to hit on guys who contribute on a meaningful basis long-term.  Roster churn from year to year is substantial and much of that is newer, cheaper options for backup jobs who can also contribute on ST.  If wesco turns out to be a decent pick, the overall hit rate of finding a 2nd TE on day 3 will have been 2/3 including herndon.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol screw both those guys the pick should of been Julian love.  That being said I can see that TE becoming a fan favorite after he runs through a few defenders on like key 3rd down or something .

Didn’t fill any needs, but they got a fan favorite tight end who might pick up a third down one time. Sounds about right.

• Upvote 1

I like this draft, and really don't understand all the angst.

First round:  Originally I wanted an edge rusher here,  Probably Allen, but in all honesty a lot of people are calling Q a generational talent.  A guy who can provide a big pass rush up the middle.  I originally was disappointed, but gave the pick a B+.  That changed to an A+ when the Jets picked Polite.

I've seen Polite play quite a bit.  He is for sure one of, if not the best pure edge rusher in the draft.  Was really surprised when he was still there in the 3rd.  Figured he would go mid 1st.  Reason he was there is because he showed up for the combine unprepared.  Major red flag.

I've heard about the kid that he has the best first step in the draft, and it really shows up on film, and tremendous effort on the field, but just doesn't live football 24-7. Not a gangster, but just loves to have fun.  This seems to be true.  He does produce big time on the field as a pass rusher though.  I MO the combination of Q,  Polite, and Greg Williams  is really going to make this a scary D for QB's.

People are squawking that neither help Darnold.  With the second pick in the 3rd round the Jets drafted Darnold's body guard from USC.  Now Darnold has been reported to have been involved in the HC search so the Jets clearly give his opinions a lot of credence.  IMO either Darnold suggested this guy, or was asked about him, and gave him a lot of support and encouraged the FO to take him.  Who is better qualified to select an OT better then a QB who has played with him.  If Sam wants him, he's good with me.

In the 4th round the Jets took a really interesting guy in Wesco.  A really mean spirted blocking TE.  Baldy said about him :  He  doesn't just block people, he flat backs them.  Guy is 270 pounds and blocks like a RT.  More then that, in the second half of the season Wesco's CS discovered the guy was an excellent receiver.  Had 26 catches out of 30 targets for 12.2 yard average.  That's pretty impressive for a 270 # TE.  Wesco displayed great hands, one handed catches included, and the ability to flat run over people.  Baldy  calls him "Baby Gronk"  He looks the part.  Think he's going to become a major fan favorite.

In the first 4 rounds the Jets have dramatically improved their pass rush, added an OT of the future, and provided Sam with a great blocking TE, who looks like he is going to be a really fun weapon in the passing game.   Really hard to complain about that for me.

The final two players were injured, but have a high upside if they are healed.  Cashman had a much higher grade by a lot of people.  Some as high as the 2nd round.  He looks to be OK health wise, but shoulder injuries are certainly not desirable for ILB'er.  

Austin is the only pick I really  don't understand.  The Jets certainly need a CB, but this one is off back to back blown knees.  He was a good player, but right now he is a very long shot.  That's what late round picks are about

I've got to give this draft a B+, with the potential to be an A+ if Polite produces (I think he will at a high level) and Sam is right about Edoga.

Just my opinion, but I like this draft, and think the Jets are a much improved team then they were on Wednesday 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, slats said:

It’ll probably be seen as the best pick from this draft in a few years, honestly, similar to Jordan Jenkins. People will come to see that Quinnen isn’t actually Reggie White (probably), and that he’s just a really good DT, so the shine will be off that pick. No way Polite develops with that attitude. Edoga will start eventually. But Wesco will be the one visible pick who looks like he’s actively helping Darnold, so it’ll be received favorably 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It might bother me if Leggett was a first or second day pick, but he was a fifth rounder who'll probably still make the final roster this year. And Leggett was supposed to be more of a receiver than blocker, so not really a direct replacement. 

I think this board overestimates the importance of the OL. Winning begins at QB, and the Jets look like they have one who's capable of moving around in and out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. If you love OL, you presumably love them because they block, and the Jets grabbed a guy in the fourth with the potential to be a sixth OL who catches a few passes. 

They traded for a former pro bowl guard and drafted an OT and a blocking TE. It's not so bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’ll probably be seen as the best pick from this draft in a few years, honestly, similar to Jordan Jenkins. People will come to see that Quinnen isn’t actually Reggie White (probably), and that he’s just a really good DT, so the shine will be off that pick. No way Polite develops with that attitude. Edoga will start eventually. But Wesco will be the one visible pick who looks like he’s actively helping Darnold, so it’ll be received favorably 

Edoga helped darnold in college, and he’s just the modern type of RT they need, Uber athletic rather than a slow footed mauler.  

I agree on Q, probably does not become the next ______.  I think polite has showed more humility and contrition in his post draft comments than anticipated, so maybe he’ll just shut up and play hard.  Truth, if he becomes what we all hoped maudlin would be, it will have been a good pick.

15 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Surprised to see so much negativity across the forum. 

I thought they added a sure fire stud in the first round, and a good mix of upside and high floor guys after that. 

It was unfortunate the Jets didn’t have their second round pick, but trading future assets to acquire one isn’t responsible.

Yes. You are dead wrong. No excuse for not addressing Center in round 3. Biggest hole on the roster and Mac ignores it. FAIL.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

It might bother me if Leggett was a first or second day pick, but he was a fifth rounder who'll probably still make the final roster this year. And Leggett was supposed to be more of a receiver than blocker, so not really a direct replacement. 

I think this board overestimates the importance of the OL. Winning begins at QB, and the Jets look like they have one who's capable of moving around in and out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. If you love OL, you presumably love them because they block, and the Jets grabbed a guy in the fourth with the potential to be a sixth OL who catches a few passes. 

They traded for a former pro bowl guard and drafted an OT and a blocking TE. It's not so bad. 

We can agree to disagree on the vital nature/importance of the O-Line.  

But I agree on the QB point, he looks to potentially be special, and I agree that we at least picked one O-Lineman and a TE, both "needs" in my own view.  Disappointed about Center, and disappointed in the heavy emphasis on Defense this draft, but such is life.  

We'll see how it plays out, if the defenders of the "O-Lie wasn't really needed, nor was more weapons for Darnold" mindset are right, we should have a very VERY good offense this year.  So we'll see.    

• Sympathy 1