Where Are We In The "Macc Rebuild 3.0"?

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think we're still at least 1 more season away from even hoping to contend.  We need to protect Darnold and get him more legit weapons.  Next year better be an offense-heavy draft.  (though I'm sure it won't be).

I expect us to contend this year.  

A 3 or 4 or 5 win season is unacceptable at this point.

• Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think everything hinges on Sam. If he takes a huge step. We are far along, if he progresses slower than we aren’t as far. Hoping he makes a huge step

This is it. End of discussion. I want to see Darnold has the ability and takes a big step forward. I'm tired of making excused for no online, no rb, no weapons for our QB. We did it for Sanchez, some did it for Geno. Some did it for Tebow and Aigne and any other QB we've had. 

I am not giving Darnold any excuses. 

1 minute ago, funaz said:

This is it. End of discussion. I want to see Darnold has the ability and takes a big step forward. I'm tired of making excused for no online, no rb, no weapons for our QB. We did it for Sanchez, some did it for Geno. Some did it for Tebow and Aigne and any other QB we've had. 

Nobody gave Erik Ainge anything!

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think we're still at least 1 more season away from even hoping to contend.  We need to protect Darnold and get him more legit weapons.  Next year better be an offense-heavy draft.  (though I'm sure it won't be).

One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that when you pick at the top of the draft over and over again, you are almost obligated to take a QB, defensive lineman, OT, or edge, depending on the year.  When you lose as much as we have, that has led to defense-heavy 1st rounds.  Brick was the only year where the magic aligned.  If we can sniff the playoffs this year, and end up in the teens or even the early 20s those teams often will start looking at WR or RB or other line positions like guards or centers (in recent years).  So ultimately I am hoping we finally make are way down the first round, or else we’ll be picking an OT or lineman again next year (unless a generational talent at a skill position emerges).  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, funaz said:

Ok, dad

• Haha 1

Contend for what? A Super Bowl? If so then I'd very much agree we're a year out of even sniffing such a possibility.

Now if we're talking playoff contention that's attainable but far from guaranteed.

When assessing this teams talent level I find myself saying "if" a lot. If Darnold can play like he did those last four games of the year, if Gases offense proves to be compatible with his skillset, if Bell and the starting pass catchers can hold up their end of the bargain while staying healthy and if this defense and its 26 first rounders live up to potential under Williams no-nonsense direction then this team should be in the wild card hunt easily (Any other division and I'd say the division title is in play but y'know... Brady.)

I'm reasonably confident the defense will look good and I'm reasonably confident Sam will have a good sophomore outing. But that offense's success is hanging by a thread of depth questions.

Bell is awesome, but a year removed from action so who knows what he puts up. And what's behind him? McGuire, Cannon, I don't think they're lost causes or don't have anything to offer, but it is put up or shut up time.

Herndon is encouraging but he's got a suspension coming and once again what's behind him, Leggett and a rookie with only a few catches in college?

Anderson, Crowder and Enunwa sounds like a fine if not elite XYZ of WR's, but will anybody step up in relief of them?

And don't get me started on interior lineman depth (the tackles look okay)

So many questions... Another year of FA and the draft coupled with an assessment of what our current guys can do in Gase's offense and I think our rebuild is complete. But we're a few landings away from being much more than a middling team.

It sounds stupid but this feels like a group that can be anywhere from a 6-10 to a 10-6, no more no less. Where they fall might depend on luck with injuries and catching opponents on the right week. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As long as Mac is at the helm, this team will never be able to successfully build through the draft. 

the roster is rebuilt. you never get to perfect. it is up to the coaches now. (all new btw).

no one knows anything until they start playing games, and then not really until many games in, at least 4, 5 6 games.

of course this team can compete for a SB. there are plenty of all-pros on the team. just depends on a variety of factors.

13 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that when you pick at the top of the draft over and over again, you are almost obligated to take a QB, defensive lineman, OT, or edge, depending on the year.  When you lose as much as we have, that has led to defense-heavy 1st rounds.  Brick was the only year where the magic aligned.  If we can sniff the playoffs this year, and end up in the teens or even the early 20s those teams often will start looking at WR or RB or other line positions like guards or centers (in recent years).  So ultimately I am hoping we finally make are way down the first round, or else we’ll be picking an OT or lineman again next year (unless a generational talent at a skill position emerges).  

In the past three years, there has been one O lineman taken in the top 10 (McGlinchey at 9 last year to SF).

If we're always in the top 6 and there is no value there on OL, you either have to reach for a need or try to pick these guys up elsewhere. Had there been a top LT this year I'd have been willing the team to grab him, but the guy that many posters here wanted didn't even go till pick #33.

I'd have been fine with Allen at #3 this year, as a small concession to need at edge, but I can't complain about the Q pick.

Hopefully with a full set of picks next year we can add some good OL in Rd 2, or even Rd 1. But I feel like I say that every year. :(

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I find myself saying this every year.  Hoping the lights will go on for the Jets - but it never seems to do so.