Beerfish

The biggest reason Mike McCagnan should be relieved of his duties...

9 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I still remember Brick - Faneca - Mangold - Moore - Woody. That lineup happened, right? 

Am I wrong or is that 2 draft picks, one Dline convert and 2 FAs? 

That kind of proves we lucked into that line. 

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Glad that you had a better day than I did.  Only one thing better than Golf and Steak, right?  Hope it was great.  Got tired of watching the "Usual Suspects" trolling on @Jets723 for the past couple of days.  Made a few "observations" and it was on.  Funny thing about maggots, they're bountiful and persistent.  No biggie.

It's a Bizarro World where if you're somewhat positive, that makes you the enemy, and requires that you be censured and vanquished.  Not going to happen.  If you're miserable, nasty and skeptical, you're cool and enlightened.  Strange.  

Anyway,  thanks for the support.  There's a few of us anyway.  Shame that it is like that though.  Whatever...  Take care, keep on swinging.

Aww the love fest between the Hardy Boys. How cute. "How was your day dear?". Seriously? Get a room snowflakes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

I would have a much bigger problem drafting failures vs having quality talent at other positions. You don't draft bad players just for the sake of need. They won't suddenly become good just because you need a guy. 

We could have drafted a lineman with every one of our picks. Doesn't mean we'll be good or even have a good O-line because if the talent isn't there you can't force it to be. 

I would rather have pro bowlers at other positions than mediocre O-line prospects

Edit: I want to add that I share everyone's frustration with our O-line problems and I know it is the most important position in football. But there hasn't been a quality draft for O-line since 2014.

That isn't the binary choice, though. The non-OL picks he made instead have mostly sucked, too.

Even put aside round 1 just because we've picked so highly, and the bust rate way up there is low for anyone making non-forced picks (though always staying way up there for non-essential players is another discussion). How many of the 11 prior 2nd-4th round, non-OL picks are "pro bowlers"? 

Smith, Mauldin, Petty, Hackenberg, Jenkins, Burris, Maye, Stewart, Hansen, Shepherd, Herndon. The only one with any hope is Herndon, and that's based on being good for a mid-round rookie than being such a comparative phenom outright. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I've been saying it for over a year. The O line is the largest position group on the team with 5 of the 22 starters on O and D. That's 22.73% of the starting lineup and Mac acts like drafting O lineman is an afterthought. It's like he doesn't even understand simple math. He can't be fired soon enough.

I’ve been saying it since 2016

13 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

So with the third pick in the first you would have taken an o lineman? Which one? No trading partners showed up to trade down

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I would have taken Williams and to hell with what anyone thought. If Taylor's knees weren't suspect I probably would have taken him. They didn't draft the EDGE guy at 3 they drafted Leo's replacement. Typically they didn't then trade Leo to get another pick. No they kept him in redundant fashion which is one of Macc's signature moves btw. Still no one has given one reason to keep Macc they just talk sh*t about another fire Macc thread. The man should have been canned with Bowles. Keeping him is a major mistake.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Am I wrong or is that 2 draft picks, one Dline convert and 2 FAs? 

That kind of proves we lucked into that line. 

Not when the 2 are 1st round picks (one of them a 4th overall pick). In terms of value used, how many mid and later round picks could we have parlayed that into instead?

Thoe 2 first round picks was more draft capital spent than 3 or 4 mid/late round picks.

Also in 2010 Faneca was replaced with another draft pick, and the line didn't skip a beat at the position. That wouldn't have happened if we took a DB or low talent RB/TE with that pick instead of Slauson, whose career ended just 2 months ago.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That isn't the binary choice, though. The non-OL picks he made instead have mostly sucked, too.

Even put aside round 1 just because we've picked so highly, and the bust rate way up there is low for anyone making non-forced picks (though always staying way up there for non-essential players is another discussion). How many of the 11 prior 2nd-4th round, non-OL picks are "pro bowlers"? 

Smith, Mauldin, Petty, Hackenberg, Jenkins, Burris, Maye, Stewart, Hansen, Shepherd, Herndon. The only one with any hope is Herndon, and that's based on being good for a mid-round rookie than being such a comparative phenom outright. 

It is THIS.

Focus on the totality of the suck, not a unit.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

So with the third pick in the first you would have taken an o lineman? Which one? No trading partners showed up to trade down

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This was his fifth draft and FA. We do NOT know what trades were turned down 

I think you can add in that he also lost the Center from USC who played with Sam to Denver last year as well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He was hired in 2015.

I know. I’ve been begging for oline investment since then 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I still remember Brick - Faneca - Mangold - Moore - Woody. That lineup happened, right? 

yes. we won the Super Bowl with them

• Butt Fumble 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

image.thumb.png.ff136816258c5da1d917ba2c9c2c6818.png

30 of the 32 teams in the league in his five year tenure have used at least one 2nd rounder on offensive line.

21 of the 32 teams in the league in his five year tenure have used a 1st rounder on the offensive line.

All of this while drafting Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenburg and finally Sam Darnold to be the teams new young QB.

The offensive line has more position spots on every down than any other position (5)

Just a pathetic dereliction of duty. 

And for those who try and rationalize his lack of oline priority by saying he fills via trades and free agency, every team fills holes that way.  But you always over pay for older vets with issues and those really good players who are young enough in FA there is big competition for.

Think back to the good Jets teams of the last 15 years or so, good to great olines. 

I like the man, he seems nice.  He's a terrible GM.  Fire him already before Sam Darnold is in a cast.

How many are starting in the league? Ever think there haven't been many worth drafting? Why do you think teams were fighting over an above average Center in FA? These kids aren't taking starting jobs.

• Butt Fumble 1

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And Herndon would have gone higher if he had not torn an ACL at the U.  He was not a shot in the dark.  I found the draft depressing.  If Polite can be guided emotionally I love that first step of his.  He truly has a burst. But he seems like a real problem as far as motivation--and maturity.  The rest?  Meh.

1 minute ago, ECURB said:

How many are starting in the league? Ever think there haven't been many worth drafting? Why do you think teams were fighting over an above average Center in FA? These kids aren't taking starting jobs.

That's a great argument if the guys we took instead weren't mostly afterthought backups, off the team, or outright out if the league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's a great argument if the guys we took instead weren't mostly afterthought backups, off the team, or outright out if the league. 

The whole draft is full of that though? Everyone has this pipe dream that you get 7 players on the roster every draft to contribute.

Doesn't happen... On any team.

• Butt Fumble 1

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not when the 2 are 1st round picks (one of them a 4th overall pick). In terms of value used, how many mid and later round picks could we have parlayed that into instead?

Thoe 2 first round picks was more draft capital spent than 3 or 4 mid/late round picks.

Also in 2010 Faneca was replaced with another draft pick, and the line didn't skip a beat at the position. That wouldn't have happened if we took a DB or low talent RB/TE with that pick instead of Slauson, whose career ended just 2 months ago.

How much capitol was Slauson?

Are we talking capitol or # of picks, or witch ever suits your argument? 

My point was that a Dline convert, and 2 FAs started over whomever they had drafted. 

Lucky. Most good lines still have a weak link. 

7 minutes ago, ECURB said:

The whole draft is full of that though? Everyone has this pipe dream that you get 7 players on the roster every draft to contribute.

Doesn't happen... On any team.

No, your argument is only a valid one if the players we drafted instead were better. Frankly it suggests they were, and they weren't. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, your argument is only a valid one if the players we drafted instead were better. Frankly it suggests they were, and they weren't. 

You suggest they weren't better and frankly can't prove that either.

• Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

10 hours ago, Titan24 said:

Really can we stop? Seriously? Mac’s negligence on OL is real but I can’t stop thinking this board is filled w a ton of millennials who want instant gratification.... but it’s really filled w jets fans who have become millennials and are 40 yrs old+ it’s an amazing thing to sit back and witness 

so you're happy with Mac?  Please explain why.  Let me guess...he got us Sam Darnold.  

The dude has been a disaster.  

• Post of the Week 2

8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Glad that you had a better day than I did.  Only one thing better than Golf and Steak, right?  Hope it was great.  Got tired of watching the "Usual Suspects" trolling on @Jets723 for the past couple of days.  Made a few "observations" and it was on.  Funny thing about maggots, they're bountiful and persistent.  No biggie.

It's a Bizarro World where if you're somewhat positive, that makes you the enemy, and requires that you be censured and vanquished.  Not going to happen.  If you're miserable, nasty and skeptical, you're cool and enlightened.  Strange.  

Anyway,  thanks for the support.  There's a few of us anyway.  Shame that it is like that though.  Whatever...  Take care, keep on swinging.

The “usual suspects” had no idea who Jets723 was until he started butt-fumbling every post that didn’t unhinge it’s jaw like an anaconda for Big Maccccc.  But hey, facts and accuracy and all.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Titan24 said:

I can’t stop thinking this board is filled w a ton of millennials who want instant gratification.... 

It’s been 5 years for Macaggnan. Coming up on 10 since the franchise made the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ECURB said:

The pats starting center was undrafted.  You need to invest higher picks on tackles, they’re harder to find.  You need more pure athleticism to play tackle.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The pats starting center was undrafted.  You need to invest higher picks on tackles, they’re harder to find.  You need more pure athleticism to play tackle.  

Or you need FA tackles... What is worse wasting 7 picks in 3 years to get one starting tackle or overpaying 1?

• Butt Fumble 1

Just now, ECURB said:

Or you need FA tackles... What is worse wasting 7 picks in 3 years to get one starting tackle or overpaying 1?

Preferably you invest day 1 and day 2 picks on them so you develop them yourself.  Shell was a day 3 pick and he’s clearly a below average T.  This is the first draft mccagnan has taken an OL on days 1 or 2, so there’s progress.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Now do you Macc guys get it? This is the prime reason why the man must go. You don't draft your FQB and not draft or sign any OL. You just don't do it. You don't sign scrubs and call it good. You don't trade for 1 guy and think it will be okay. You draft and sign as many OL as it takes. You do it until you get it right. You literally have the fate of the Franchise in your hands in Sam and his development. You don't mess with that. You go all in. Boggles the mind to see that some people don't or won't see it.

The 5 guys we signed as FA's don't do it for you? 😀 Me either.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

image.thumb.png.ff136816258c5da1d917ba2c9c2c6818.png

30 of the 32 teams in the league in his five year tenure have used at least one 2nd rounder on offensive line.

21 of the 32 teams in the league in his five year tenure have used a 1st rounder on the offensive line.

All of this while drafting Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenburg and finally Sam Darnold to be the teams new young QB.

The offensive line has more position spots on every down than any other position (5)

Just a pathetic dereliction of duty. 

And for those who try and rationalize his lack of oline priority by saying he fills via trades and free agency, every team fills holes that way.  But you always over pay for older vets with issues and those really good players who are young enough in FA there is big competition for.

Think back to the good Jets teams of the last 15 years or so, good to great olines. 

I like the man, he seems nice.  He's a terrible GM.  Fire him already before Sam Darnold is in a cast.

As I said in other posts... CHRIS JOHNSON AND WOODY JOHNSON ARE ABJECT IDIOTS for not showing Mac the door.  

The 2019 draft is reason enough if you are focused on the here and now.  But the Johnsons are oblivious of the realities of the schmuck they want to keep around as GM. 

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

29 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

How much capitol was Slauson?

Are we talking capitol or # of picks, or witch ever suits your argument? 

My point was that a Dline convert, and 2 FAs started over whomever they had drafted. 

Lucky. Most good lines still have a weak link. 

Capital

And what was done was at least a plan in the form of creating a pipeline. Bring in instant-starter, then draft someone in low round to take his place after a year or two as a backup. That doesn't happen when you only do the first part.

Left tackle: Maccagnan started with Brick, already in visible decline, and for LT he drafted nobody. Then because of no pipeline he picked up veteran Clady, and then for LT he again drafted nobody. Then he picked up veteran Beachum and again drafted nobody for 2 years. Yes he drafted a project tackle this year but it's unknown which side he'll play since both of our tackles are FAs next year and neither is a particular asset. If he's not fired, predict Macc will re-sign one or both of Beachum/Shell after the season, and this year's 3rd round pick will still be a backup.

Center: Started with Mangold who looked like he'd play for longer so that's understandable for year 1. But after cutting him after the 2016 season he re-signed WJ on a 1 yr RFA deal, after mopping up the season as starter, and drafted...nobody! WJ then sucks, so a year later he picks up veteran Long with 1 year guaranteed @$7MM per, and for the future he drafted... nobody! Long then also sucks due to injuries so he's cut, too; signs with Buffalo for half the rate we paid him; he again re-inks last year's backup who mopped up the season; again acquires no sure veteran upgrade despite a war chest of cap room; and again drafted...nobody! So if Harrison isn't really good and healthy all year long, on top of screwing the young QB again (as well as the expensive RB and frankly his HC), we'll be back in 2020 with the same friggin' hole at center he's been unsuccessfully trying to fill since Mangold went down in mid-2016.

Same happened at LG for the past 2 years (signed Carpenter, but we stuck with him for the past 2 poor seasons because there was no one else we drafted). Same would have happened at RG except he actually had a guard pipeline left by his predecessor.

He is the worst. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ECURB said:

You suggest they weren't better and frankly can't prove that either.

I was responding to your argument that suggested we didn't draft OL because we went after better players at other positions.

I'm saying he was ignoring need in favor of his idea of the best talent on the board regardless of position, removing the handicap of pigeonholing an individual position, and the picks still sucked anyway.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, PCP63 said:

It sure did. Took us to the AFC championship with the #1 rushing attack in 2009. 

Wow,  acouple years ago Jets had alot of draft picks dont remember  think like 11 ,  I Know we had 4 6rd picks,  and that draft we took 0 - o-line.   A team should grab linemen every year,  line is key to team running good offense. 

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This place is exhausting. The draft just ended and the site is full of nothing except negativity.

Because after his past terrible drafts and this horrible draft, it is well deserved! It hurts like hell to see just how negligent and incompetent Mac and the Johnsons are.

• Upvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 1

45 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

We went into this off-season needing a #1 receiver, a  starting CB and a center. We left with same needs.

Exactly.

Once again, the doofus totally ignores all the holes on this team and once again has ensured an incomplete roster and a losing season.

Yeah, but we shouldn't be ambushing Mac today?  Of course we should.  And it shouldn't stop until he is gone.  He is terrible and has not improved one iota from day 1.   Good grief.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1