HawkeyeJet

Is Edoga a potential year 1 starter?

So help me out.  I don't know much about the guy.  From what I've read the general consensus is that he is a pretty skilled player butb has work ethic and character concerns.

For those that know more about him, strictly from on-field standpoint, is it realistic that he could start at RT this year and push one of Shell or Winters to the bench?

I was super drunk last nite and missed this discussion that likely already took place

I think its 50/50. He more insurance cause shell and the other guy who names escapes me contract is supposedly up after this year. 

2 minutes ago, Mac is a Tool said:

I think its 50/50. He more insurance cause shell and the other guy who names escapes me contract is supposedly up after this year. 

Beachem's eventual LT replacement.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mac is a Tool said:

Both Beachum and Shell are UFA after the season.  He is probably going to repalce one of them in 2020, and h opefully can step in if needed if Shell needs more time to rehab from injury.

• Upvote 2

If Shell’s knee isn’t 100%, I think it becomes very, very possible.

Even if Shell is 100%, I’d still give Edoga close to 50/50 odds of winning the starting RT job his rookie year.

• Upvote 1

Shell had what we all thought was a really bad year long rehab injury. 

He could absolutely start this year and for the next 10. 

@RobR loves the guy and I think @HelenOfTroy also. They watched a lot of USC Football from what I gather.

Those pass protection stats @UnitedWhofans posted show favorably for a yes to starting somewhere on the OL next season 

• Upvote 1

Character concerns, possible he could be our Richie Incognito?

All of this talk about the severity and longevity of Shell's injury is Urban Legend.  He had the surgery the last week of December and was rehabbing in January.  He will be just fine in time for Camp, the Preseason and going forward. It will not be a concern.

The rookie Edoga is a nice draft pick.  That being said, he is a rookie, and can not be expected to supplant Winters or Shell this coming season.  He will be used as depth and a piece for the future.  Barring injury we will not see him as a starter this season, nor should we.

I believe that we will see marked improvement from our offensive line this year. Sh#t play calling, made by sh#t coaches, leads to a sh#t performance.  Brian Winters did not forget how to play football in the space of one year.  Shell also regressed.  That was not a coincidence.

Jonothan Harrison will be our center this year.  And he will also do fine.  Gase thinks so.  Evidently the coaching staff thinks so too.  Despite what many here believe, they know better than we do.  The offensive line will be a pleasant surprise this year.  Relax.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

There's definitely a chance, it's not out of the question. He should be competing for one of the tackle spots in August (whether he wins or not is another matter) and at the very least should be penciled in as the backup swing tackle along with or replacing Qvale.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@RobR loves the guy and I think @HelenOfTroy also. They watched a lot of USC Football from what I gather.

Those pass protection stats @UnitedWhofans posted show favorably for a yes to starting somewhere on the OL next season 

I’ve had USC football season tickets for 20+ years, I go to all the games, and record every game to review multiple times, then go to my favorite USC site to discuss.  Yes, I’m obsessed. 

• Upvote 1

You don;t want him to be a starter this year but he might end up being one.

At least for once they have drafted a guy that looks to me to be a viable starter candidate a year or so down the road.

4 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I’ve had USC football season tickets for 20+ years, I go to all the games, and record every game to review multiple times, then go to my favorite USC site to discuss.  Yes, I’m obsessed. 

Can you sum up again what you think of this kid?

I listen to his draft Day call with our GM. He sounded sort of like a knucklehead. But he has great agility. And my favorite thing is that he could potential he start at every offense of line position except center. 

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

So what is your take on Edoga?

(I might have missed it elsewhere if youve already stated it)

He seems like a guy that can play multiple positions so he might get a chance he’ll have to make the most of it 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Can you sum up again what you think of this kid?

I listen to his draft Day call with our GM. He sounded sort of like a knucklehead. But he has great agility. And my favorite thing is that he could potential he start at every offense of line position except center. 

He’s not a knucklehead.  Could have gotten into Stanford if he wanted.  

• Upvote 4

This pick is the key to the draft for me.  If he has matured a bit and can take over as a decent starter at RT, that will be cool.  Hopefully at least he can repalce Qvale on the team as the main backup OT.  That dude is awful.

This team desperately needs to improve the OL for Darnold and the shiny new expensive RB.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Newjetsfan said:

Let me chime in., since I am an USC alum who has followed him since his high school days in Georgia. 

Positives:

Physical tools: he is considered little short for Tackle but has monkey arms which is more imprtant trait.  He has good ro great athleticism as he had wowed coaches at the senior bowl.

Pass blocking: PFF rates him as the best pass blocking lineman in the draft and I can sorta stand behind it.  He is also known at USC as mr. Untimely penalty guy...

Run blocking: Needs to improve his strength

Verdict: He has physical tools to be all pro tackle.  But does he have mental make up?

Hope:

Now, we are learning after following this years spring ball at USC with the new Oline coach, previous one was like an uncle to the Head Coach and both were inapt.  The word is their whole offense was quasi-run first/run pass option that was neither physical or fast, only saved by Darnolds incredible improvisational acumen in 2016-17 and showed how predictable and confusing it was without Sam in 2018.  Even Sam biting his tongue after a loss in 18 indirectly critized how bad offensive playcalling was...The line coach was fired and 2019 USC coaches are focusing on basic techiques that weren't  really taught when Chuma was there.  If his bad moments are mostly attributed to bad scheme and coaching, I think we have a starter and perhaps future all pro.

This. ^^^^^^

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Been thinking about this a bit, @TheClashFan.  He might really be able to hlep our OL Clampdown on the defense.  If the kid works hard, he won't have to Train in Vain, but should get Career Opportunities with this team.  Of course, if he does not get an opportunity, he might wonder, Should I Stay or Should I Go on which case our entire OL could go Straight to Hell.

I nominate this for POST OF THE YEAR!

If the kid becomes a starter, I'm taking my gal Janie Jones out on the town, and we're gonna Rock the Casbah! I think he might have The Right Profile to fit in the OL.  I've read he has a technique called the Tommy Gunn where he clubs the opposing DE down. If he flops, though, he best get out of NY and find some Safe European Home to hide in. The Jets have been Cheapskates for too long on the OL.  Time to build it up!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Immaturity and enjoying college life like a normal student.  Realized he needed to grow up, change his work habits and that he  wanted to pursue a career in the NFL.  He can thank Clay Helton for his guidance and believing in him.  

MJ, compared to what goes on in CFB with other players, mild stuff.  The incident with the official cost him to be in Clay’s dog house, but the coach believed in him enough to punish him, but mentored him.  Chuma lost his dad, so our coach took a father role approach.  No guns, real drugs or performance enhancing drugs, no hitting women.  I ‘m not going to type this one more time, already repeated  it too many times.

Not by any stretch of the imagination.  That guy (Incognito) is disgusting. 

Have you thought about joining ESPN or the Jets as a scout? 

3 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I nominate this for POST OF THE YEAR!

If the kid becomes a starter, I'm taking my gal Janie Jones out on the town, and we're gonna Rock the Casbah! I think he might have The Right Profile to fit in the OL.  I've read he has a technique called the Tommy Gunn where he clubs the opposing DE down. If he flops, though, he best get out of NY and find some Safe European Home to hide in. The Jets have been Cheapskates for too long on the OL.  Time to build it up!

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks like we have more in common than just the Jets.

• Upvote 1

Pu

33 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

This pick is the key to the draft for me.  If he has matured a bit and can take over as a decent starter at RT, that will be cool.  Hopefully at least he can repalce Qvale on the team as the main backup OT.  That dude is awful.

This team desperately needs to improve the OL for Darnold and the shiny new expensive RB.

Let’s hope he’s Jason Fabini. 

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

Been thinking about this a bit, @TheClashFan.  He might really be able to hlep our OL Clampdown on the defense.  If the kid works hard, he won't have to Train in Vain, but should get Career Opportunities with this team.  Of course, if he does not get an opportunity, he might wonder, Should I Stay or Should I Go on which case our entire OL could go Straight to Hell.

Nice! 

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks like we have more in common than just the Jets.

Thanks!  Is that a Georgia Bulldog I see?  Tennessee Vol here. The last few years for the football Vols have pretty much been The Wrong Em Boyo!

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Pu

Let’s hope he’s Jason Fabini. 

I hope not, Fabini's 44 years old! Then again, Fabini might make a comeback and start on the current Jets line.

:-)

My far fetched dream scenario in the event we don't acquire an upgrade at Center is that Edoga is able to start at RT from the get go.  Bumping Shell to RG(where I've always thought he would be at his best) and bumping Winters to Center.  The Winters to Center thing is highly unlikely but he has practiced there sparringly in the past.

The one thing that gives me a glimmer of hope regarding the OL is that literally all of our starters seem like a better fit for a power scheme than they were the zone scheme.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Thanks!  Is that a Georgia Bulldog I see?  Tennessee Vol here. The last few years for the football Vols have pretty much been The Wrong Em Boyo!

Yup.  I am a UGA grad.  Got a good group of SEC fans on the site; some pretty good dicussions during football season.  Except fo the Bama guys.  After the last two years, I don't much like talking to them, lol.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I am a UGA grad.  Got a good group of SEC fans on the site; some pretty good dicussions during football season.  Except fo the Bama guys.  After the last two years, I don't much like talking to them, lol.

Well, I can handle them. I'm a fan of all cfb teams with orange unis. That includes the Vols and the CLEMSON TIGERS!  44-16.