Is Edoga a potential year 1 starter?

On 4/28/2019 at 4:11 AM, HelenOfTroy said:

He’s not a knucklehead.  Could have gotten into Stanford if he wanted.  

Thanks for the insight. Sometimes you need to take a risk on players. It’s how the Justin Houston’s, Warren Sapp’s and Terrell Suggs of the world dropped to where they did. That said there are always Kareem Hunt’s and Tyreek Hill’s who illustrate the danger of character concerns but sounds like the guy has switched on and is turning it around. 

18 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Agreed about Never Mind the Bullocks. All the early Clash stuff is great too. Was in school in NYC when the Ramones made the scene so big Ramones fan too. Also NY Dolls and Johnny Thunders.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes, Ramones!  Got to see them once here in Knoxville around '90 or so.  Got to see The Clash in '84, after Mick Jones had been tossed out of the band.  Still a great show to see Strummer on stage in his prime. Saw REM in a club in '82, way before they got big. 

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I said a good chance, not a sure thing. What kind of odds are you giving me?

It depends on how you are defining "good chance" 

i chose that to mean better than 50% so technically you'd be giving me odds (60% is 2/3) 

if you mean like a non zero chance yeah I agree with that

he's like 21 tho chances are he needs time 

the only reason I bring money into it is to get people thinking about their optimism 

Just now, bitonti said:

i chose that to mean better than 50% so technically you'd be giving me odds (60% is 2/3) 

the only reason I bring money into it is to get people thinking about their optimism 

i actually think there's a decent shot.  i also wouldn't be surprised if it factored into the decision to grab wesco to help out.  yeah that would be 2 rookies but wesco + edoga is probably better than shell + tomlinson.

also i thought it was telling that according to gase, shell wasn't close to returning yet.  i didn't realize his injury was that serious, that his rehab is going on 5 months.  i have maintained that RT was a bigger need than C heading into the draft.  shell got darnold killed last year and qvale would do the same.

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I was thinking more like Maximum Security has a good chance of winning the Kentucky Derby at 6-1. Considering there are fewer horses in this race, I'd bet on Edoga starting week 1 if you gave me 4-1 odds or better.

He's not the favorite, but I think there's a good chance he can unseat the incumbent. They're all learning a new offense with a new coaching staff, so that helps the rookies odds.

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was thinking more like Maximum Security has a good chance of winning the Kentucky Derby at 6-1. Considering there are fewer horses in this race, I'd bet on Edoga starting week 1 if you gave me 4-1 odds or better.

He's not the favorite, but I think there's a good chance he can unseat the incumbent. They're all learning a new offense with a new coaching staff, so that helps the rookies odds.

4-1 odds means you think there is a 20% chance of Edoga starting week 1

I wouldn't take that bet because there's probably a greater than 20% chance Beachum gets injured in preseason 

still if DR feelgood told you had a 20% chance to beat cancer would that be a "good chance" ;-)

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i actually think there's a decent shot.  i also wouldn't be surprised if it factored into the decision to grab wesco to help out.  yeah that would be 2 rookies but wesco + edoga is probably better than shell + tomlinson.

also i thought it was telling that according to gase, shell wasn't close to returning yet.  i didn't realize his injury was that serious, that his rehab is going on 5 months.  i have maintained that RT was a bigger need than C heading into the draft.  shell got darnold killed last year and qvale would do the same.

wesco is going to start weeks 1 and 2 because Herndon will be serving suspension 

Link on the Gase-shell news? Last i heard the injury wasn't that bad and didn't require surg

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

4-1 odds means you think there is a 20% chance of Edoga starting week 1

I wouldn't take that bet because there's probably a greater than 20% chance Beachum gets injured in preseason 

still if DR feelgood told you had a 20% chance to beat cancer would that be a "good chance" ;-)

If Dr. Feelgood told me I have cancer the first thing I'd do is go buy a carton of cigarettes. Man I miss smoking.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

wesco is going to start weeks 1 and 2 because Herndon will be serving suspension 

Link on the Gase-shell news? Last i heard the injury wasn't that bad and didn't require surg

i don't think i can find it - i read it when gase was talking pre draft.    the phrase 'not even close' was used to describe shell's return to the field.  and that's when i started to realize that RT was going to be more of a priority in the draft than C.   also, remember that it was shell's missed block on wake that got darnold injured last year.  gase remembers this.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, Lith said:

Both Beachum and Shell are UFA after the season.  He is probably going to repalce one of them in 2020, and h opefully can step in if needed if Shell needs more time to rehab from injury.

Great, now all we need is another Tackle, a Center, and a Guard.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think i can find it - i read it when gase was talking pre draft.    the phrase 'not even close' was used to describe shell's return to the field.  and that's when i started to realize that RT was going to be more of a priority in the draft than C.   also, remember that it was shell's missed block on wake that got darnold injured last year.  gase remembers this.

at first Bowles said the injury was very bad but after he was fired it came out the recovery was 6 weeks and no surgery 

as for Edoga this is a Beachum replacement move all the way. I suspect they like Shell at RT alot more than the fans do 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

at first Bowles said the injury was very bad but after he was fired it came out the recovery was 6 weeks and no surgery 

as for Edoga this is a Beachum replacement move all the way. I suspect they like Shell at RT alot more than the fans do 

edoga may well wind up at LT, but the immediate need may be at RT.  he's way more athletic than qvale.  

On 4/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

All of this talk about the severity and longevity of Shell's injury is Urban Legend.  He had the surgery the last week of December and was rehabbing in January.  He will be just fine in time for Camp, the Preseason and going forward. It will not be a concern.

The rookie Edoga is a nice draft pick.  That being said, he is a rookie, and can not be expected to supplant Winters or Shell this coming season.  He will be used as depth and a piece for the future.  Barring injury we will not see him as a starter this season, nor should we.

I believe that we will see marked improvement from our offensive line this year. Sh#t play calling, made by sh#t coaches, leads to a sh#t performance.  Brian Winters did not forget how to play football in the space of one year.  Shell also regressed.  That was not a coincidence.

Jonothan Harrison will be our center this year.  And he will also do fine.  Gase thinks so.  Evidently the coaching staff thinks so too.  Despite what many here believe, they know better than we do.  The offensive line will be a pleasant surprise this year.  Relax.

Ok Coach Gase

So help me out.  I don't know much about the guy.  From what I've read the general consensus is that he is a pretty skilled player butb has work ethic and character concerns.
For those that know more about him, strictly from on-field standpoint, is it realistic that he could start at RT this year and push one of Shell or Winters to the bench?
I was super drunk last nite and missed this discussion that likely already took place

He needs to get into an NFL weight/ lifting and nutrition program. He’s a pro now with all day to think about his craft.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app