Huddlereport draft grades Who won draft

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Based on value as to where they had guys slotted.

1) Redskins  2) Bills 3) Titans    We were #23, one spot ahead of Colts, last of all AFC East teams. Last?   Funny you should ask..........Raiders.

Pats, bills and dolphins all had more picks.  Dolphins took advantage of arizona’s Incompetence.  The patriots are always rated to have one of the best drafts.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Pats, bills and dolphins all had more picks.  Dolphins took advantage of arizona’s Incompetence.  The patriots are always rated to have one of the best drafts.  

As far as they had our guys slotted on their "big board"   Q was a push.....Polite, Cashman and Austin were positve, Cashman the biggest. Edoga and Wesco killed us a far as they were concerned, drafted anywhere from 60-85 spots higher than they had them. Still, just one opinion.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

1) Redskins  2) Bills 3) Titans    We were #23, one spot ahead of Colts, last of all AFC East teams. Last?   Funny you should ask..........Raiders.

In before the buttfumbles.

• Haha 1

AFCE all seem to have drafted well.  I can't argue our rating.  We got a great player and a few guys who are a little high-risk/high-reward types so it's really hard to judge now. 

That 2nd round pick hurt more than I would have expected.  Can you imagine adding Cody Ford to our draft haul?  :(

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

AFCE all seem to have drafted well.  I can't argue our rating.  We got a great player and a few guys who are a little high-risk/high-reward types so it's really hard to judge now. 

That 2nd round pick hurt more than I would have expected.  Can you imagine adding Cody Ford to our draft haul?  :(

Or another center, which would have really appeased this crowd.

The Colts have done a good job building through the draft. If we are ahead of them I am good with it

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Even if we loved every pick you couldn't make that statement today. The ratings of drafts is one of the most assinine obsessions in sports today.

What I would love to see is a retrospective 3 years later where the 1st round is redrafted (which you sometimes see in stuff like ESPN) plus an evaluation of the day-after reviews of that draft (e.g. we gave them a D- at the time but, in retrospect, it was an A+).  Basically an evaluation of the evaluators.  

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Yup....it seems as if it's lost on the "wahhhh why couldn't we move up for a 2" brigade that the whole reason why we didn't have a 2 is because of Darnold.

You have to pay to play......we were able to complete the trade without having to give up a 1 this year. The 3 2's are not a steep price to pay at all if Darnold proves he's what everyone believes he will become. You can bitch and rag on that incompetent bum Mac all you like, but it would have been stupid to compound on our loss and mortgage some more of our future...for what? A 2nd? Another maybe?

It's tough because you don't know what you're getting in a draft from year to year. Our bill came due for Darnold in a draft that the heart of it happened to be in the 2nd/Early 3rd. Luck of the draw.

Agreed.  Also Kelechi Osemele should be part of the evaluation since we traded a 5th rounder to get him.  That feels like a good move.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

The Patriots could pick a QB in the 6th round with the hopes of finding a starter and they would get a great rating.

None of these people writing articles dares question Bill Belichick.  It's hard to blame them even though we know he picks plenty of guys who bust too.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Sure I can in the context of the positions picked.

So let me guess your upset the Jets didn't draft a Center and a big WR. Its not out of the question that the Jets FO and CS collectively feel that Harrison is adequate at Center and that we have enough Wr's to run Gase's offensive scheme. 

We're all listening to the media and so called "draft experts" listing our biggest needs , its not like Gase came out and said man we really need to draft a center but Mac didn't get one, but of course the media will try to spin that angle as it creates clicks and sells stories. 

• WTF? 1

Draft grades mean little to nothing.

I'd really like to know what was the best offer, if any, for the Jets #3 pick.  Was Mac lowballed and had to pass, or was he hard-headed and passed on a decent offer?

For sure, I'd like to know what Buffalo would have been willing to give up to move from 9 to 3.  I'd have taken their 2nd rounder, but perhaps they were unwilling to do that.  But if they were...yeah, we'll probably never know.

I like the picks in rounds 3 and 4.  Don't like the picks in 1 (trade down and take best OL available...even if you have to "reach") and 5, 6. DT is nowhere near a position of need.  Now they'll either just dump Leo or end up with three expensive DTs with a trash OL.

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They drafted an OL in the 2nd, we didn't have a 2nd, took one in the 3rd.  

They took a TE in the 3rd.  We took one in the 4th.

They added a RB in the 3rd.  We signed the top all around back in the NFL.

yeah, they took care of their QB and we didn't.  Facts suck

Agree with most of this.  On the positives, I'd add that the Jets also signed swing OT Tom Compton, traded for Osemele, and did not sign just Bell, but also Ty Montgomery at RB.

But the Bills went heavy on OLine.  They signed the #1 Center in Mitch Morse in FA and got a Round 1 OT in Round 2 (Cody Ford).  They drafted RB Devin Singletary in Round 3.  They also hit WR in FA like the Jets did with Crowder.  I think the Bills got John Brown as a deep threat and Cole Beasley to play slot.

Overall, I agree that the Jets did work to improve the offense.  My opinion is that Buffalo may have done the same thing a little bit better and with a greater priority on it.

• Upvote 2

It's amazing how similar the approach of both Buffalo and the Jets seems to be.  In fact, you could argue their front 7's have been crafted similarly. Jerry Hughes is still a very good DT in Buffalo (like Leo W here), but they draft Oliver after we draft Quinnen Williams.  We have Mosely now and they have Tremaine Edmunds.  Both teams have 2nd year QBs and are gunning for the Patriots.

With Rosen on a rookie deal in Miami it's just crazy how similar the stories are.  Every AFCE team is anticipating (and praying) for the decline and retirement of Tom Brady in the next year or two.  All look to be heading into Win Now mode with young QBs and are spending big.  Very interesting couple of years coming up in this division.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If you look at the Pats draft they had a ton of picks (ended up with 10) PLUS every pick was from a major college program. No one from a Podunk U. program. lol

2 hours ago, section314 said:

As far as they had our guys slotted on their "big board"   Q was a push.....Polite, Cashman and Austin were positve, Cashman the biggest. Edoga and Wesco killed us a far as they were concerned, drafted anywhere from 60-85 spots higher than they had them. Still, just one opinion.

Exactly. Opinions are like aholes, everybody has one.

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree with most of this.  On the positives, I'd add that the Jets also signed swing OT Tom Compton, traded for Osemele, and did not sign just Bell, but also Ty Montgomery at RB.

But the Bills went heavy on OLine.  They signed the #1 Center in Mitch Morse in FA and got a Round 1 OT in Round 2 (Cody Ford).  They drafted RB Devin Singletary in Round 3.  They also hit WR in FA like the Jets did with Crowder.  I think the Bills got John Brown as a deep threat and Cole Beasley to play slot.

Overall, I agree that the Jets did work to improve the offense.  My opinion is that Buffalo may have done the same thing a little bit better and with a greater priority on it.

Agree also.  

I was only going off the posts about the draft, that they drafted to build around Allen.  Though that was interesting in they only drafted one additional position for the O, RB which we kind of covered nicely in FA.

• Upvote 1

Wait! Macc still sucks at drafting? Macc still takes easy early pick to look competent regardless if it helps us become better? Macc still can’t move in draft until later when it matters little? Macc still picks players that are  out of the league well before rookie contact is up? 

It’s  simply just who the guy is. This is not really his fault. Unlike the uniforms this is not new. This is 100% on the owners. They literally decided to change uniforms instead of firing the proven draft flop of a GM we have. Thinking that should make us all happy for a moment. Ehh, was a pretty great thread. 

All down hill from here boys! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not surprised. It was an awful bewildering incompetent draft that does not make us a better team

I think the key pick that this draft is riding on is Polite. If hes good then our D line will be vastly improved because of an actual edge presence for once. But as far as the offensive side of the ball and protecting our franchise QB, which should have been the #1 priority?? Flat out failure. 

9 hours ago, section314 said:

The key phrase is value where THEY had guys slotted.  Stealing what Bill Polian said when informed Mel Kiper didn't like his draft.    Who the blank is   Mel Kiper.    Well who the heck cares what the huddle report thinks.( if they were any good they would be working in some teams scouting department.

Lets see what these players do on the field- that's where this class is  eventually going to be judged.   Talk is cheap. 

Might have added at least one starter in undrafted Fa's. One is Fb InGold from Wisconsin.  He beats out Keith Smith.

15 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The key phrase is value where THEY had guys slotted.  Stealing what Bill Polian said when informed Mel Kiper didn't like his draft.    Whose the blank is   Mel Kiper.    Well who the heck cares what the huddle report thinks.( if they were any good they would be working in some teams scouting department.

Lets see what these players do on the field- that's where this class is going to be graded.    Talk is cheap. 

Who cares what TV analysts thought? 

What did Mayock and Gruden think? 

Image result for whoops gif